HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 3:17 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Uhhh, once again, are you talking about the same "capital of architecture" that once had a gas station at this site, and has massive strip malls all within a one block distance of the station?

So here I am, the guy from Apple, scoping the site, and across the street I see a strip center with a CB2 and street level parking. Down the street I see a forgettable Crate and barrel with massive parking lot. Further down, I see a scene that is pretty much anywhere USA--Barnes and Noble, Best Buy, etc etc with seas of parking. Having seen that, I'm supposed to say "ahhh, this is clearly the capital of architecture! Lets build a masterpiece here worthy of its distinguished pantheon of neighbors!". Nope, don't think so.

Chicago gets what it deserves with this one, sorry.
haha, nice!

Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 4:25 AM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Lets build a masterpiece here worthy of its distinguished pantheon of neighbors!". Nope, don't think so.

I don't know about all that. Obviously North & Clybourn has well-documented problems but I'm also sure Apple knows about the "smarter" new developments in that area (SoNo, British School, Grossinger, Whole Foods, future New City) as well the previous conversion of old industrial buildings to big box stores. Plus the fact that down the street you have places like places like Steppenwolf, Alinea, Boka. And generally very high sales per square foot.

The only thing missing are tourists, which is why I think they didn't do something more showy.

If it makes people feel any better, green roofs on top of Apple stores are rare and the partnership with the CTA is pretty unique.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Some of the most fallacious reasoning I've read on here in awhile. By your logic, we should remove any standard for future developments on every failed site in the city.

I think the Apple store is kinda lame, but it fits the area: an outdoor mall filled with cookie cutter architecture. I'm sure Robert Venturi would find some value in that.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
i think it's an overall success both aesthetically and contextually (i like the juxtaposition of a cold metal box on the site).
That is a weird definition of contextualism, no? Based on that, you could plop a (well-designed) cold metal box on half the corners of the city and it would be "contextual"? Please tell me that was just an off-hand remark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Uh....I thought that it was 100% established that this store would look exactly like the Scottsdale + other stores well before the first bulldozer showed up on site. Why are we all crying about this now or was at least half the Chicago forumers absent the day this was discussed?
True and I knew that back then, but you have to realize the natural psychology of these forums: We rave/lament at the announcement of a project, and then we again rave/lament after it is complete. Really the same thing that an architecture critic does when renders are revealed and then when the real thing opens to the public.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 6:18 AM

Quote:
^ Uhhh, once again, are you talking about the same "capital of architecture" that once had a gas station at this site, and has massive strip malls all within a one block distance of the station?

So here I am, the guy from Apple, scoping the site, and across the street I see a strip center with a CB2 and street level parking. Down the street I see a forgettable Crate and barrel with massive parking lot. Further down, I see a scene that is pretty much anywhere USA--Barnes and Noble, Best Buy, etc etc with seas of parking. Having seen that, I'm supposed to say "ahhh, this is clearly the capital of architecture! Lets build a masterpiece here worthy of its distinguished pantheon of neighbors!". Nope, don't think so.

That just makes zero sense. A city isn't entitled to aspirational architecture because a neighborhood was in car suburbia, or too near housing projects, in the past? Because developers cheaped out or built in a recession in the past?

And you suggest the Apple real estate people come into a city with their blinders on, ignorant of their surroundings, and base all of their decisions only on the immediate 2-block radius, without understanding the greater neighborhood/city they are in (which is highly relevant to the expectations of the people who will actually be coming to the store)? Or that the fact that a major national-scale retail design firm like Bohlin Cywinski or Gensler, that understand this isn't Kansas City, isn't involved?

They obviously recognized the site is a rather special one, because they got the entire block and surrounding streets re-done. After all, they chose it in large part because they wanted to support public transit -- so their approach implicitly envisions a future for this area that is more pedestrian oriented, where the strip centers eventually get redeveloped.

This design has nothing to do with what Chicago "deserves"; Apple is supposed to be a leader in design and sustainability, not a follower; there was nothing here that got held back because of Chicago. Matter of fact, in a different sense, Chicago happily did get what it deserves: $$$ spent by Apple on fixing a decaying subway station.

Even though this non-downtown site might not merit a super-expensive design, this attempt was too much on the other end of the spectrum. I understand however that Apple probably saw they were spending $4 million on the subway station so they decided they would go cookie-cutter on the building design. I understand the business decision and I don't fault them on it, but it doesn't mean there is no room to fault the architects.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 7:10 AM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Well, if anyone is in the area to visit the new store, check out Urban Burger. The burgers there are pretty darn tasty.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 8:55 AM

^ Sounds like a plan for dinner sunday evening.

Personally, if you asked me to design the store, it would be a two story all glass shaped wedge. It would be sort of this bright focal point at night. I'm surprised Apple is continuing to rock the silver brushed metal panel look. Why not black? They offer plenty of products that are black and come in black packaging with a white logo.

Damn, so much for me trying to hold back the tide on this discussion. I'll shut up next time.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 8:58 AM
TL;DR

The Upper West Side store used Tennessee marble instead of stainless.

I'm guessing that Apple by now has a relationship with a supplier of stainless and they are probably able to get a good price...

Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 9:32 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The Upper West Side store used Tennessee marble instead of stainless.

I'm guessing that Apple by now has a relationship with a supplier of stainless and they are probably able to get a good price...
is that stainless? i heard it was titanium.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 3:12 PM
The City

Anyhow, regardless of design opportunities that are missed, this development does a lot for this area.

Thoughts:

1) Promotes transit use by sending a clear message: iPhones are hip and cool, and so is the subway. I couldn't think of a better way to convey that to a generation
2) Encourages retail development nearby, hopefully giving a jolt to the New City project ("I want to be located near the Apple Store!")
3) Raises property values, perhaps ultimately leading to the redevelopment of those strip malls into more space-intense structures

Sure, we could have gotten a better design. But hats off to Apple for doing something in Chicago that no local company has stepped up to do in perhaps decades

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 3:21 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

I don't see how this is really different from most other Apple stores, excluding the one on 5th ave, which is a very stylish entrance to the same underground rehash that exists in every other apple store. The new store on Broadway is a glass barn and far less pleasing, in my opinion, that this recycled design in Lincoln Park. The other two stores downtown are all adaptive reuse of old buildings, which while cool from their own perspectives, are not cutting edge modern architecture.

Given the area and the history of the site, I don't see what all the complaining is about here. The comparisons to New York are unfounded in my opinion.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 10:21 PM
THAT Guy

Now we know why Apple is over 300...

Update on various University of Chicago projects:

Knapp Center (ZGF) and Jahn's utility plant

Stephanie V./ flickr

New Hospital Pavilion (Vinoly) and the old CTS/ future Milton Friedman Institute (Ann Beha Architects)

tie/chi/ flickr

Mansueto Library - I can't wait for this thing to open

University of Chicago Library/ flickr

Fall Update: University projects take shape on campus and worldwide

Planning has proceeded for the Institute for Molecular Engineering to be housed within a new physical sciences building, following broad faculty input and approval of the Institute by the Council of the University Senate in February. The joint University–Argonne search committee for the Institute’s founding director, supported by a generous naming gift from the Pritzker family, began its work over the spring and summer, and plans to bring leading candidates to campus fall quarter for interviews by faculty leaders.

HOK and Jamie Carpenter have been selected as the architects for the new science building, which will be built on the site of the Research Institutes building and will house the Institute for Molecular Engineering and portions of the Physical Sciences Division. Schematic designs will be completed this fall, and the Research Institutes building will be vacated beginning in early 2011 in preparation for the new construction.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 11:34 PM

Wow! Thanks for the update spyguy! The library is jaw dropping!

Old Posted Oct 17, 2010, 11:34 PM
The City

^ Ugh, with all that vacant land on the south side, it just makes me sad to see one building replace another.

Thanks for the updates, Spyguy

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 12:18 AM
BANNED

^^^ What? The new library is replacing an open lot/grass field. Also, almost none of that vacant land comes anywhere near U of C seeing as Hyde Park and Kenwood are actually still pretty well built out.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 12:24 AM

Unless you are talking about the residential buildings on Maryland av possibly getting wiped out. I got confirmation on that, but I'd prefer to see official word by the University before I can actually say "The buildings on Maryland av are being demolished" I've searched the net and looked at their construction updates, but no actual mention of demolition, so it could possibly go the other way and they get rehabbed, but that's hard for me to believe.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
is that stainless? i heard it was titanium.
Why wouldn't you just use aluminum. . . seems like stainless and titanium would be cost prohibitive. . .

. . .

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 1:58 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
^^^ What? The new library is replacing an open lot/grass field. Also, almost none of that vacant land comes anywhere near U of C seeing as Hyde Park and Kenwood are actually still pretty well built out.
^ I'm talking about the loss of the Research Institutes Building

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 9:30 PM
BANNED

Shops and Lofts at 47 To Break Ground in Spring
http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...-in-spring.php
Monday, October 18, 2010, by Mark Boyer

Shops%20and%20Lofts%20at%2047.jpg

There isn't a lot of new construction in the pipeline for 2011, but here's one that belongs on the short list. The Shops and Lofts at 47, a development that's been in the planning stage for at least three years, is scheduled to break ground in the spring, according to Bernita Johnson-Gabriel, executive director of the Quad Communities Development Corp. Phase 1 will include 72 rental units that will include market-rate, affordable and CHA public housing units.
Anchor tenant revealed!

Aldi has been named as the anchor tenant for the retail space, and the store will be a "new urban model," says Johnson-Gabriel, much like the one on Clybourn Avenue in Lincoln Park. The large mixed-use development will ultimately bring 140 rental apartments and almost 50,000 square feet of retail space to the intersection of 47th Street and Cottage Grove Avenue, but Johnson-Gabriel says the developer won't be shopping for other retail tenants until construction begins.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2010, 9:38 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Designs for the University of Chicago Physical Sciences/Molecular Engineering Building (PS/ME) that will replace the Research Institutes building:

http://psd.uchicago.edu/about/building/
PDF with designs
http://psd.uchicago.edu/about/buildi...e_schedule.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development