HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
From Dad:

'Both have good and bad points. LINT is smoother and has faster acceleration, but they spin a little easier in the wet/snow.'

'More electronics/faults with LINTS. Talents are just a tough train, they just go, and they have more doors (3 vs 2). Talents were more dependable than LINT were in beginning until the problems were repaired. '

For the 8 minute frequency:

'I knew it wasn't going to make it, saw it coming as soon as they suggested it. they weren't being realistic, there's only the sidings to pass on and it was just unfeasible because they aren't long enough, you have to slow down too much on the sidings to pass. We (the drivers) figured 10 minutes at best then we ended up with 12 minutes. They (the designers) figured the 8 minutes with a computer model, not realistic. Eventually it was the drivers who actually worked out the timing to meet at sidings at the proper time. Also they combined old equipment with new equipment at the beginning which caused a lot of problems with lights and signals.
Ahh, the old fight between the planners and the implementers. Nice to see that its alive and well!

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Deleted about 30 posts of off topic arguing, please stick to the topic, a couple of posters have received warnings.
Thank you! It's like every transit thread is turning into the Bank Street Fantasy Subway thread nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
From Dad:

'Both have good and bad points. LINT is smoother and has faster acceleration, but they spin a little easier in the wet/snow.'

'More electronics/faults with LINTS. Talents are just a tough train, they just go, and they have more doors (3 vs 2). Talents were more dependable than LINT were in beginning until the problems were repaired. '

For the 8 minute frequency:

'I knew it wasn't going to make it, saw it coming as soon as they suggested it. they weren't being realistic, there's only the sidings to pass on and it was just unfeasible because they aren't long enough, you have to slow down too much on the sidings to pass. We (the drivers) figured 10 minutes at best then we ended up with 12 minutes. They (the designers) figured the 8 minutes with a computer model, not realistic. Eventually it was the drivers who actually worked out the timing to meet at sidings at the proper time. Also they combined old equipment with new equipment at the beginning which caused a lot of problems with lights and signals.
Thanks Harley! And thank you dad for me!! Seems everybody knew the plan was doomed to fail except for the people who were paid to know.

Mixing old and new signals, as we've seen on Edmonton's Metro Line (though issues there went even deeper).

From 3 doors on Bombardier to two on the Lints. What was the City thinking?

What's his take on Stage 2 Trillium? Does he foresee any issues? Possibility of increasing frequency (under sell, over deliver as the Mayor claims he likes doing)? His thoughts on the Stadler?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 2:17 PM

From Rail613's Twitter.

Mooney's Bay. Platform has been removed.

https://twitter.com/rail613/status/1310684860592336904

Elwood Diamond. I feel like they are a bit behind on this one.

https://twitter.com/rail613/status/1310684597970243585

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
From Rail613's Twitter.

Mooney's Bay. Platform has been removed.

https://twitter.com/rail613/status/1310684860592336904
I can't seem to find any renderings of this station in recent publications. Will they upgrade the station in keeping with the standards of the rest of the system (beyond extending the length of the platform) or was the faregate enclosure the extent of it?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quall View Post
I can't seem to find any renderings of this station in recent publications. Will they upgrade the station in keeping with the standards of the rest of the system (beyond extending the length of the platform) or was the faregate enclosure the extent of it?
They haven't published any renderings of existing stations, other than Bayview. From my understanding, longer platforms, "O" pylons and possibly new next train displays are the only upgrades planned for existing stations.

I believe Carling will get new double elevators and Carleton will feature a second underpass on the north end connected to the University's tunnel system.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 7:39 PM

Quote:
They haven't published any renderings of existing stations, other than Bayview. From my understanding, longer platforms, "O" pylons and possibly new next train displays are the only upgrades planned for existing stations.

I believe Carling will get new double elevators and Carleton will feature a second underpass on the north end connected to the University's tunnel system.
I believe the new tunnel/underpass on the north end will only be a stub. It won't connect to the rest of the system, or the station until some time in the future.

But with that said, the existing pedestrian underpass at Carleton is being widened from 3m to 9m which is a great change.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCheetos View Post
I believe the new tunnel/underpass on the north end will only be a stub. It won't connect to the rest of the system, or the station until some time in the future.

But with that said, the existing pedestrian underpass at Carleton is being widened from 3m to 9m which is a great change.
Thanks!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks, disappointing but expected. Hopefully the longer platforms will suffice, assuming the city is (or ever was) serious about building the Baseline BRT.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 9:18 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Welcome to the forum!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Welcome to the forum!
Thanks! may just revert to lurk-mode for another 11 years but who knows.

Last edited by quall; Sep 29, 2020 at 11:52 PM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Thanks, disappointing but expected. Hopefully the longer platforms will suffice, assuming the city is (or ever was) serious about building the Baseline BRT.
I think there is still discussion with the feds about moving the station to the north side of Heron, so the plans are to basically keep it as basic as possible.

Of course moving north makes less sense as more residential is built on Brookfield, but a move to align the station under Heron road would be welcome.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 2:26 PM

Received an email update:

Walkley Station Work: Walkley MUP Closure

September 29, 2020
As part of the Stage 2 O-Train Trillium Line South Extension project construction is ready to begin at Walkley station, which will require the temporary closure of the Walkley MUP adjacent to the Trillium Rail Line. A detour will be in place to maintain uninterrupted access for pedestrians and cyclists.

WHAT: The Walkley MUP will be closed for approximately one year to allow crews to construct the new Walkley station.

WHEN: The detour will start on September 30 and be in place until September 2021.This schedule is subject to change.

WHY: The temporary closure of a section of the MUP is required to provide crews the space needed to perform the foundation work for the future Walkley station.

WHERE: A section of the Walkley MUP (Red dotted line) adjacent to the Trillium Rail Line will be closed with a detour in place (Yellow dotted line) allowing pedestrians and cyclists to safely move around construction. See map below for additional details.

DATES AND HOURS OF WORK

Construction activity will occur from September 30, 2020 to September 2021.

ANTICIPATED IMPACTS

Pedestrians and cyclists will be detoured around the construction zone and must adhere to detour signage.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 7:15 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, the world's most inconsequential announcement:

Quote:
Received an email update:

Walkley Station Work: Walkley MUP Closure

September 29, 2020
As part of the Stage 2 O-Train Trillium Line South Extension project construction is ready to begin at Walkley station, which will require the temporary closure of the Walkley MUP adjacent to the Trillium Rail Line. A detour will be in place to maintain uninterrupted access for pedestrians and cyclists.

WHAT: The Walkley MUP will be closed for approximately one year to allow crews to construct the new Walkley station.

WHEN: The detour will start on September 30 and be in place until September 2021.This schedule is subject to change.

WHY: The temporary closure of a section of the MUP is required to provide crews the space needed to perform the foundation work for the future Walkley station.

WHERE: A section of the Walkley MUP (Red dotted line) adjacent to the Trillium Rail Line will be closed with a detour in place (Yellow dotted line) allowing pedestrians and cyclists to safely move around construction. See map below for additional details.

DATES AND HOURS OF WORK

Construction activity will occur from September 30, 2020 to September 2021.

ANTICIPATED IMPACTS

Pedestrians and cyclists will be detoured around the construction zone and must adhere to detour signage.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 8:20 PM

I tried to walk down that path a couple months ago, got down the hill only to discover that the tower construction site has the path blocked off with fencing, probably has still been blocked off...

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
Ladies and gentlemen, the world's most inconsequential announcement:
I had no idea there was even a MUP running behind those buildings.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 11:58 AM

From Jeff Leiper's newsletter of Oct 2 2020

This week, I and Councillor McKenney expect to be chatting with staff more about why the area under the new 417 overpass at the O-Train has been graded with a slope and hydro-seeded when the plan for that corridor is to re-instate the heavily-used Trillium path. I'll also be meeting with staff to discuss the new passenger pick-up/drop-off configuration at Tunney's Pasture station and its effects on two-way cycling travel, as well as the near-term cycling detours expected when the LRT conversion gets underway in the trench. It's going to be a busy week.

Isn't there supposed to be a MUP on both sides of the Trillium line from Carling to Bayview ?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qprcanada View Post

This week, I and Councillor McKenney expect to be chatting with staff more about why the area under the new 417 overpass at the O-Train has been graded with a slope and hydro-seeded when the plan for that corridor is to re-instate the heavily-used Trillium path. I'll also be meeting with staff to discuss the new passenger pick-up/drop-off configuration at Tunney's Pasture station and its effects on two-way cycling travel, as well as the near-term cycling detours expected when the LRT conversion gets underway in the trench. It's going to be a busy week.

Isn't there supposed to be a MUP on both sides of the Trillium line from Carling to Bayview ?
From my understanding, the east path was to be restored and the space left along the west side was for a future MUP.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qprcanada View Post

This week, I and Councillor McKenney expect to be chatting with staff more about why the area under the new 417 overpass at the O-Train has been graded with a slope and hydro-seeded when the plan for that corridor is to re-instate the heavily-used Trillium path.
I'll also be meeting with staff to discuss the new passenger pick-up/drop-off configuration at Tunney's Pasture station and its effects on two-way cycling travel, as well as the near-term cycling detours expected when the LRT conversion gets underway in the trench. It's going to be a busy week.

Won't surprise me if they had old plans from when there was no pathway (it was built 5-6 years ago), so they just used them.

Last edited by zzptichka; Oct 3, 2020 at 4:48 PM.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 4:04 PM

Geo Ottawa shows that the Trillium line will be double tracked at this area, I just figured this was a temporary arrangement unless something has changed?

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspotting View Post
Geo Ottawa shows that the Trillium line will be double tracked at this area, I just figured this was a temporary arrangement unless something has changed?
The trench may actually be wide enough already under the 417, but it does need widening along the south up to Beech.

I don't think this would preclude rebuilding the MUP, or at least doing the grading for it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation