HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 23, 2015, 8:49 PM
Meh

Old Posted Aug 1, 2015, 5:12 AM
Meh

The angle and all makes Frost Bank Tower look tiny.

Over Austin - https://www.facebook.com/overaustin/...type=1&theater

Old Posted Aug 1, 2015, 8:42 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I'm surprised this one wasn't posted.

Over Austin https://www.facebook.com/overaustin/...e=1&permPage=1

Old Posted Aug 1, 2015, 4:12 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Nice^ I guess that is permanent lighting?

I hope they don't stay blue, we have plenty of blue. Hope it changes color.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2015, 6:09 AM
Meh

Old Posted Aug 2, 2015, 10:39 AM

The attention to detail in that picture is just amazing!

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 12:10 AM
Meh

Via South Austin Memories. My mom grew up in a 3 story house down the street from this house at the corner of Newning Avenue and Park Lane.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Quote:
The Mather Mansion at 404 Academy St. (from the Austin American-Statesman online)--
"Myron D. Mather, president of Austin Water, Light & Power Co., built the three-story home using granite left over from the Capitol, according to the Texas Historical Commission marker in front of the house. The home became a Texas Historic Landmark in 1985, part of the National Register of Historic Places in 1978, and is also an Austin Landmark.
Mather lived there until 1893. Then the home was owned for a time by Texas Supreme Court Justice Leroy G. Denman. It earned its nickname in the 1920s when it served as the Austin Military School. Evidence of that time remains in the small hole in the top of the foyer dome that can be used to scout out who is in the foyer. In the basement, one room had small chunks missing out of the plaster, that looked to be from where the boys stored their rifles. The Lowes have found a pamphlet from that time that reads, “Send us your troubled youth.” I personally have seen it while driving past, but never got out to tke a closer look. I admit I envy those who got to LIVE near it--well, near enough to visit it whenever they wanted!
The top of the roof in the lookout tower is almost 70 feet over the front steps from the street.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2015, 3:27 AM
World Traveler

I have some family that lives in Marble Falls. Going out there, you often see in the older parts of town houses and buildings with granite bricks much like that one - not that tall or ornate, necessarily. It is pretty neat to see, nonetheless. The granite for the capitol building came from Marble Falls.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2015, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscajunguy View Post
The next thing Austin needs is a successful series like "Dexter". "Dexter" really highlighted Miami more than just about anything I could imagine would! They might as well have called the series "Dexter's Experiences in Miami".
Most of Dexter was actually shot in Long Beach, CA.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2015, 7:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Most of Dexter was actually shot in Long Beach, CA.
It was easy to get about 30 shots of the Miami Skyline in every single episode of "Dexter" that was scripted to have occurred in Miami. Anybody could get the stills or the videos on the internet, for that matter. Dexter highlighted a very good selection of these skyline shots. I know well the "skyline" of Long Beach, which consists of little more than an almost 30 floor round residential tower across from the Queen Mary on the bay and an almost 30 floor office building in their "vast" world trade center. Downtown Long Beach would never be mistaken for Miami, that's for sure, and they never made the mistake of shooting a scene of the Long Beach skyline in "Dexter", I don't believe, because I would have caught that in a second! Corpus Christi has a much more impressive downtown. On the other hand, I'm sure the Port of Los Angeles, which is actually considerably closer to downtown Long Beach than it is to downtown LA was used extensively in the shooting of "Dexter". Miami would probably be freaked out by all the chase scenes and action scenes by the filming crews, but in California, it's just a daily occurrence that attracts little attention, particularly in Long Beach, which though the years has even endured F1 Grand Prix racing events on their city streets, and handled them quite well. I went to one once, and it was a lot of fun. Long Beach is actually a pretty nice city. They even decorate their oil platforms in the ocean with stylized "palm trees", are proud of their Queen Mary and have spruced up their waterfront into a really nice entertainment district. But I'll also bet you that a really good sleuth could find a lot of scenes from videos of "Texas" movies and series that had scenes shot in Long Beach, too (particularly indoor scenes), just because the LA area has an abundance of filming crews, and Long Beach would be a very easy and cheap place to film.
I really wish that Austin could have a series that lasted, say for three years, starting now - one with the same kind of shots of our skyline as Dexter has of the Miami skyline. It would be a lot of fun to watch the changes that occur. It would almost be like an extension of this forum. 30 years ago, you used to never see photos of the Austin skyline, but it is getting to be more and more well-known around the country through news broadcasts that highlight our skyline in the background, reporting of events that happen around here, and in advertising.

Last edited by pscajunguy; Aug 6, 2015 at 7:56 PM.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2015, 7:54 PM

There were plenty of on-location shots that were recognizable as Miami regardless of where the non-location shots took place.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2015, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Matt View Post
There were plenty of on-location shots that were recognizable as Miami regardless of where the non-location shots took place.
Looked to me like there were occasional live scenes filmed in Miami, but most of the Miami and Florida exterior shots were stock footage. Most of the scenes were filmed in the L.A. area on sound stages or at local exterior locations. Dexter's apartment, for example, looked to me like a motel in Marina del Rey. It's just too expensive to haul an entire cast and crew to Florida to shoot an entire series.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2015, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg6544 View Post
Looked to me like there were occasional live scenes filmed in Miami, but most of the Miami and Florida exterior shots were stock footage. Most of the scenes were filmed in the L.A. area on sound stages or at local exterior locations. Dexter's apartment, for example, looked to me like a motel in Marina del Rey. It's just too expensive to haul an entire cast and crew to Florida to shoot an entire series.
Negative. Dexter's apartment was shot in Miami. It played a "cameo" role in Michael Bay's Pain & Gain movie that was shot in Miami.

The show is very "Miami" feeling.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2015, 8:31 PM

Dexter's apartment complex is actually located along the beachfront somewhere in the north end (103rd St) of the Miami Beach area. The interior was recreated on the Gower Studios lot in Hollywood. The police building exterior is the actual Miami police/fire/emergency services building. Most of the other film locations are in SoCal, and most of the residential locations are in a part of Long Beach known for Spanish and Art Deco residential construction. There are several sites with information about Dexter locales. Here is one of them:

http://curbed.com/archives/2013/09/2...ng-locales.php

Last edited by austlar1; Aug 7, 2015 at 9:12 PM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2015, 8:42 PM

I got curious about Dexter locales because so many of the street scenes and neighborhood scenes reminded me of Los Angeles or Southern California. Something about the light and the vegetation just did not seem like Miami to me. Miami looks a bit like LA, but not really. Seems the set dressers often used vivid pastel paint jobs and added vegetation to make things more Miami-like. I think a lot of the beach scenes were shot in Long Beach and elsewhere in SoCal, and I am speculating that a Miami skyline or Miami Beach/Ft. Lauderdale skyline was somehow inserted as a backdrop. There was often too much going on in the water in some beach scenes with regards to shipping or an irregular shoreline in the background to resemble most beaches in the Miami area which usually front directly on the ocean with nothing visible but the ocean itself.

http://darklydexter.com/dexter-seaso...g-locations-2/
http://darklydexter.com/dexter-seaso...ing-locations/

Last edited by austlar1; Aug 7, 2015 at 9:51 PM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2015, 8:20 PM
Meh

Old Posted Aug 8, 2015, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Matt View Post
Negative. Dexter's apartment was shot in Miami. It played a "cameo" role in Michael Bay's Pain & Gain movie that was shot in Miami.

The show is very "Miami" feeling.
Then its twin is in Marina del Rey. And anything with water and palm trees is "Miami feeling", including Marina del Rey.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2015, 12:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Then its twin is in Marina del Rey. And anything with water and palm trees is "Miami feeling", including Marina del Rey.
Dexter's apartment (the exterior) is in the Bay Harbor Club in Miami.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2015, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Perhaps for you, but I've been in both cities and they are very different.

The point is that having a TV series that makes an effort to show Austin (regardless of where interior scenes are shot), would make an impact to people's appreciation of the city.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2015, 9:27 PM
Honored Member

Although this is a gorgeous photograph, it is nevertheless disturbing in that it highlights the cryptic symbolism of some sort of apparent nefarious entity. I suspect a conspiracy is afoot, and I aim to ask Laura Pressley for help in sussing out and extinguishing this menace before it gains more of a foothold among our unsuspecting citizenry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin