HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 11, 2016, 11:36 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
That's a shame. You're missing out. There's a lot of good places (restaurants, bars, etc.) there. I was just there last night, at The Park. Great sports bar with very delicious food.
I've been to The Park on South Lamar. Not a fan. Now, the north one may have better cooks and/or management, so I won't judge them yet. haha

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 7:40 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

The local forum is all but dead nowadays. I suggest we start posting back in the main city thread. At least we had people from other cities joining in an posting, very few go into the local forum section and why would they if they don't live here?

Just makes more sense to have most of the updates posted on the city thread now, there are some days where nobody posts anything at all.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 8:03 PM
Meh

Site plan for a project at 612 West 6th Street. This is between Rio Grande and Nueces. No, this isn't that 32-story project at 6th & Nueces, that one is between Nueces and San Antonio. So I'm not sure which one this is.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...reet_PLANS.pdf

MLK Hotel plans - 414 West MLK Boulevard (San Antonio and MLK).

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...Blvd_PLANS.pdf

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 8:06 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
The local forum is all but dead nowadays. I suggest we start posting back in the main city thread. At least we had people from other cities joining in an posting, very few go into the local forum section and why would they if they don't live here?

Just makes more sense to have most of the updates posted on the city thread now, there are some days where nobody posts anything at all.
I've noticed The ATX hasn't posted in a month. I hope he's alright.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
What's the City thread? I've just always gone to the Austin thread first... And sometimes I check out the threads of other cities like Chicago by just googling it.

As far as The ATX, he runs Austin's Urban Planet site, right? I think he's fine. He posted something there as recent as Thursday June 9th

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Site plan for a project at 612 West 6th Street. This is between Rio Grande and Nueces. No, this isn't that 32-story project at 6th & Nueces, that one is between Nueces and San Antonio. So I'm not sure which one this is.

414 W MLK is the McDonalds! That's interesting!
( just mapped it)

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 10:01 PM

Quote:

612 W 6th used to be 219 West and then Slate (which closed very abruptly, this must be why). There was supposed to be an office building with ground floor retail/restaurants going in at the old mechanic shop just to the east of 612 W 6th. Looking at the site plan, it would appear that they bought that restaurant/bar building to the west and that they will be building a bigger project.

Via Austin Towers, it sounds as if those two sites are going to become a residential building: http://austintowers.net/roundup-more...-come-in-2017/ (See "Residential heading to West Sixth")

Most all of the site plan is in a CVC though. So I doubt that it will be any taller than the parking garage of the Seven apartments.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
612 W 6th used to be 219 West and then Slate (which closed very abruptly, this must be why). There was supposed to be an office building with ground floor retail/restaurants going in at the old mechanic shop just to the east of 612 W 6th. Looking at the site plan, it would appear that they bought that restaurant/bar building to the west and that they will be building a bigger project.

Via Austin Towers, it sounds as if those two sites are going to become a residential building: http://austintowers.net/roundup-more...-come-in-2017/ (See "Residential heading to West Sixth")

Most all of the site plan is in a CVC though. So I doubt that it will be any taller than the parking garage of the Seven apartments.
From Austin Towers:
Quote:
A brand new project, of which we know little about yet, is a redevelopment across the street from Key Bar on West 6th. Breckenridge Multifamily South Austin Texas, LP has filed site plans at 612 West Sixth for a multi-family commercial building. The site was formerly home to the entertainment/eatery 219 West, and later became the restaurant Slate.

The existing structures will be demolished to make way for a new building with two levels of underground parking, ground floor retail and parking, and five levels of multi-family housing on floors 2 through 6. Will include typical Great Streets improvements to the sidewalk on West 6th Street.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
I think I pissed him off.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 11:01 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

This will change the fabric of w 6th as an entertainment district. I'm not so sure I'm happy about it but having 7Rio right behind probably has caused some noise complaints.

I just never looked at w 6th to be a stretch with residential. W 5th makes more sense as there's already residential and more on the way plus I figured there would be a continuation of residential in the future along w. 7th-8th. W 6th naturally became an extension of e 6th and it looked like it was going to continue to become an active entertainment district. We will see I guess. Waiting to see how the Millennium affects Rainey Street.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 3:06 AM

Saw on a local blog that the ecology action site is prepping for utility relocations for a micro housing complex being developed by Sackman Enterprises. Anyone know more about this one? Would be interesting to tally the number of micro units in the pipeline.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2016, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Saw on a local blog that the ecology action site is prepping for utility relocations for a micro housing complex being developed by Sackman Enterprises. Anyone know more about this one? Would be interesting to tally the number of micro units in the pipeline.
That was also mentioned in the Austin Towers post:
http://austintowers.net/roundup-more...-come-in-2017/

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 12:34 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
The local forum is all but dead nowadays. I suggest we start posting back in the main city thread.
I don't understand what this comment means. Could you post links to what you refer to as "the local forum" vs. "the main city thread" please?

On my bookmarks bar, I have a link to the Austin forum, by which I mean this page: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/foru...hp?forumid=446
I don't even have any awareness of the rest of this website, other than when I intentionally look for specific information about another city. I've only participated in Boise's forum. If you're suggesting that we abandon this friendly manageable environment in favor of interacting at a global level with hundreds or thousands of other people then count me out. I can't track everything that's happening on a global scale, Austin is plenty.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 1:48 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
I don't understand what this comment means. Could you post links to what you refer to as "the local forum" vs. "the main city thread" please?

On my bookmarks bar, I have a link to the Austin forum, by which I mean this page: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/foru...hp?forumid=446
I don't even have any awareness of the rest of this website, other than when I intentionally look for specific information about another city. I've only participated in Boise's forum. If you're suggesting that we abandon this friendly manageable environment in favor of interacting at a global level with hundreds or thousands of other people then count me out. I can't track everything that's happening on a global scale, Austin is plenty.
The very first forum listed is City Compilations. In there, each city has a thread. Austin's gets overlooked because we all post here instead. The main city threads on the Compilation forum get looked at more by outsiders.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 1:49 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Old Posted Jun 18, 2016, 2:44 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
The very first forum listed is City Compilations. In there, each city has a thread. Austin's gets overlooked because we all post here instead. The main city threads on the Compilation forum get looked at more by outsiders.
Thanks for the clear explanation. I had no idea about any of this. And thanks for the links, I'm gonna check out Austin's right now. See, I'm still being provincial, can't help it.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2016, 4:30 AM

Quote:
He's ok, aleast from my understanding. Well guys some of ya'll may have to do more picture updates since I'm in Las Vegas now. Anyone know if they can get a skyline shot from Ben White going toward the airport? It's been awhile since someone has taken a picture from there.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2016, 2:10 AM

Took a few building pics this morning before it got too hot. Actually, it was already too hot at this point.

Aloft:

Looking down Red River, the Fairmont just looks like a big wall now:

500 W 2nd:

Amazing how much CC has changed:

Old Posted Jun 19, 2016, 4:36 AM

Re: North Shore Apt Building.
Was at a fundraiser at "Galvanize" in the North Shore on Thursday.
It's a great work/meet space thats avaiable for functions on the 2nd floor facing NW
Was a great size for a cocktail party and had great views of all the new construction to the west.
My appologies my cocktails seemed to have prevented me from taking pictures! oops.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 3:48 PM

The Fairmount wall reminds me of our Wall in San Antonio. LOL (AKA Grand Hyatt)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin