HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonba View Post
Just a comment on view cones. I used to live in Vancouver, but now live in Seattle. As you know the tallest building here is 960+ feet. But Vancouver downtown still looks more impressive and from outside of downtown the view of the city together with the mountains is even more impressive. If the buildings were taller and were to obstruct the mountains Vancouver would not magically become more impressive. I love towers, but I fully support the view cones idea. I am very much a quality > quantity person and asking for more height is most definitely more quantity. I know you'll disagree, just come live here for a couple years.
Ok, do the 'right' thing. Let's chop down all downtown Seattle's skyscrapers to 500', create a table-top and remove space needle since it's too tall. Let's see if Seattle is still impressive. Well, one can always stare hard at Mount Rainier right?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 7:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
A bigger impression? What is that, the equivalent of whipping it out and seeing whose is bigger?

At street level it doesn't matter at all as one doesn't really register what's above four stories. Unless you walk around staring upwards at all times.
The skyline view from Fairview slopes/OV towards downtown is way more impressive than the other way round. That alone says it all.

Still not convinced? What is more impressive on a postcard? A skyline shot of Kitsilano or downtown?

There are a hundred other towns and cities that are short in this province. Wanting downtown vancouver to go tall certainly isn't asking too much. Let the tall building lovers have their corner of fun.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 7:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
A bigger impression? What is that, the equivalent of whipping it out and seeing whose is bigger?

At street level it doesn't matter at all as one doesn't really register what's above four stories. Unless you walk around staring upwards at all times.
An impression is the overall effect of something. I'm confused have you never heard that word before? Its got nothing to do with dick measuring, not sure where you got that from....

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 8:17 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I'm going to delete posts that are outside the thread's scope from here on.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankthetank View Post
Thanks goodness we have had view cones in place for a while. Imagine if back in the 70's and 80's some developers were allowed to build big ugly concrete buildings to whatever height they wanted. Yuck. The thing that makes Vancouver so amazing is it's natural beauty. Why are people so obsessed with height? We have such a small downtown that a giant tower would feel like it's looming over the city. I just don't understand the obsession with height.
I think a lot of this obsession with height is an unconcious form of "Keeping Up With the Joneses."
Having said that, I agree that a 900+foot behemoth would look out-of-whack in compact, central Vancouver, and could easily create a jarring effect of the worst kind.
However, I'd like to see a 750+ at Burrard and Georgia (one day) and in the meantime, ease waaaaay up on the viewcones, so we don't get any more beauties with their heads partly chopped off (à la MNP Tower), or any potentially impressive buildings (The Credit Suisse Exchange) "dumbed down" to lose their effect.
And of course, just looking at the 555 Cordova thread will show you what too much "over-viewconing" will do. ....... take something potentially very good, then squash, spindle and mutilate it.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2015, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonba View Post
What makes it great is the attention to the experience of the person on the street - retail, pedestrian space & furniture, light and, for Vancouver, absolutely the views which are like that of no other big city I've ever been to. All of this is because of unmatched urban planning. I wouldn't change a thing with it.

Obviously being on this forum you can tell I like tall buildings. I had very high expectations of New York and it fell tremendously short. They actually have a lot of problems like a hodge podge of sidewalks in various states of disrepair, super loud streets and the 3rd world piles of trash on sidewalk (they have no alleys so they pile mountains of trash bags right next to bus stops and other amenities waiting multiple days for a garbage truck to pick them up). But let's ignore this and say they'll fix it. Lower Manhattan and the area around Central Park where you have tall buildings did not in any way impress any more than CBD/Coal Harbour or Yaletown, save for a small handful of iconic buildings, which impressed not because of their height, but because of their design.
Thanks for your post. You put into words what I feel, including the nuance that makes Vancouver great. I totally agree with NYC.

Check out Chicago if you have the chance, it's the best city for tall buildings that I've been to IMO. More impressive than NYC, although some of the same big-American-city problems exist.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver