HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I'm not even sure we're done paying for the last time yet my vote would be a clear "no way, find another sucker!"
I'm cool with the Olympics and World Cups being the domain of non-democratic countries with some extra money to throw around.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 2:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

If there is to be a joint bid, I would think Montreal/Ottawa/Kingston would make more sense.

As has been previously noted, Toronto likely would be disinterested in playing second fiddle to Montreal, and at least Ottawa and Kingston are in Montreal's general neighbourhood. Montreal would get the opening/closing ceremonies as well as the prestige track and field events. Kingston could get the sailing and perhaps the aquatic events. The rest of the events could be open for negotiation between the three venues.

Ottawa would love the prestige of being included in a "world event", and regional infrastructure could be upgraded (twinning of the full length of the A-50, and regional HSR)

Win-win-win.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 2:06 PM

^ That's a really good idea. But I still don't want Canada to get stuck with a bill for another summer Olympics.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 2:08 PM

WORST.IDEA.EVER !

IOC should build their own summer/winter facilities and always host the olympics there.

This nonsense of always hosting the games in a different city is a total waste of money and resources on infrastructure that often sits unused after the games.

Time for the games to go green !

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
If there is to be a joint bid, I would think Montreal/Ottawa/Kingston would make more sense.

As has been previously noted, Toronto likely would be disinterested in playing second fiddle to Montreal, and at least Ottawa and Kingston are in Montreal's general neighbourhood. Montreal would get the opening/closing ceremonies as well as the prestige track and field events. Kingston could get the sailing and perhaps the aquatic events. The rest of the events could be open for negotiation between the three venues.

Ottawa would love the prestige of being included in a "world event", and regional infrastructure could be upgraded (twinning of the full length of the A-50, and regional HSR)

Win-win-win.
I might be biased, but I like that idea. Ottawa could get more rail within the city centre, maybe a new NHL arena in the process (would that be possible with summer Olympics?) Montreal could get a new stadium if the Big "O" is deemed unsuitable. Kingston could end up with improved waterfront amenities and destinations.

Joint Olympic bids make more sense to me. Instead of blowing Billions in one city and build huge Olympic Villages that take years to fill-up after the fact, you can spread that out and benefit multiple cities. You can build some facilities (and host some events) based on each City's needs.

Whether the IOC would go for that, I don't know. They seem dead-set on massive parties in one city regardless of social and environmental impacts. Something as sensible as a joint bid might not be of interest for the greedy IOC.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 2:32 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
We can't bribe enough to win these things. Nor do we actually want to build the infrastructure involved to be great hosts. I'm pessimistic. Wish I wasn't.
the games will probably go to Qatar.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 2:34 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I hope they don't have another ceremony where Wayne Gretzky is standing in the back of a pickup truck while being driven through the streets of Vancouver. And please, please, please! No Nickelback.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
WORST.IDEA.EVER !

IOC should build their own summer/winter facilities and always host the olympics there.

This nonsense of always hosting the games in a different city is a total waste of money and resources on infrastructure that often sits unused after the games.

Time for the games to go green !
A variant of this idea would be to pick a handful of cities globally and have games rotate between those, reusing the Olympic infrastructure every time.

Paris, London and Los Angeles have hosted or will soon have hosted the games three times each, they could be on the permanent list from now on. Tokyo, twice, only Asian city to do so, so on the list as well. Four cities in rich, developed, and open/democratic/stable countries. We could rotate between those from now on, no waste of infrastructure anymore.

Obviously Paris and London would be spaced 8 years apart; 50% of the Games would be in Europe, 25% in America and 25% in Asia.

These four global cities are all of interest and "convenient" travel destinations anyway.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 2:50 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I might be biased, but I like that idea. Ottawa could get more rail within the city centre, maybe a new NHL arena in the process (would that be possible with summer Olympics?) .
Or perhaps rail out to its existing NHL arena?

Summer Olympics may use arena-style facilities for stuff like gymnastics, boxing, basketball, volleyball, etc.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 3:00 PM

Needs to be combination of the IOC relaxing the requirements for the venue sizes and the cities carefully planning about how the venues would be utilized afterwards.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 3:51 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Montreal could build a new stadium. With a retractable roof.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 4:43 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
Needs to be combination of the IOC relaxing the requirements for the venue sizes and the cities carefully planning about how the venues would be utilized afterwards.
The bids in Beijing, Paris, and Los Angeles are all heavily utilizing existing facilities. The Beijing games next year are costing something like 1/8th the cost of the 2008 games. If done well the games don't have to be that expensive, depending on how much legacy-building you want to do.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 4:44 PM
Closed account

Is the Summer Olympics a big deal here? I ask simply because my unreliable nation pulse taking says "no", compared to the Winter Olympics.

I generally don't get the sense that Canadians particularly care about a lot of the summer events. About the last time I saw Canada get worked up about the Summer Olympics was Atlanta 1996 and that was mostly due to Donovan Bailey.

In a sense, Canada trying for a Summer Olympics is not unlike the Aussies/Kiwis trying for the Winter ones. Cool and all, but not really their wheelhouse.

As much as we need another white elephant mistake in this country (It really has been too long since we've flushed a copious amount of cash down the toilet on something so architecturally and fantastically useless), might as well do that on something that we kind of actually enjoy?

Last edited by wave46; Feb 3, 2021 at 5:04 PM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 4:45 PM

I haven’t seen any mention of this joint bid in the Toronto media.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 4:48 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
Is the Summer Olympics a big deal here? I ask simply because my unreliable nation pulse taking says "no", compared to the Winter Olympics.

I generally don't get the sense that Canadians particularly care about a lot of the summer events in general. About the last time I saw Canada get worked up about the Summer Olympics was Atlanta 1996 and that was mostly due to Donovan Bailey.

In a sense, Canada trying for a Summer Olympics is not unlike the Aussies/Kiwis trying for the Winter ones. Cool and all, but not really their wheelhouse.

As much as we need another white elephant mistake in this country (It really has been too long since we've flushed a copious amount of cash down the toilet on something so architecturally and fantastically useless), might as well do that on something that we kind of actually enjoy?
In my observation the Summer Olympics and the Winter Olympics are about as equally big in Canada.

It's not really the same as the difference between the Summers and Winters for Aussies.

Though for having been there, the Winter Olympics are still a pretty big deal in Australia. When they're on it's a major topic of media and conversation, and they send athletes in many disciplines.

But Aussies are crazy about sports in general.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
The Beijing games next year are costing something like 1/8th the cost of the 2008 games.
Sure but the Bejing games in 2022 are a winter olympics right? Can't totally compare that to a summer Olympics in terms of cost.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 5:13 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
Sure but the Bejing games in 2022 are a winter olympics right? Can't totally compare that to a summer Olympics in terms of cost.
It says a lot about the expectation and ambition, though. Beijing in 2022 is spending half ($3.5B) what Vancouver spent in 2010 ($7B). Most of it on new alpine and ski facilities that China doesn't really have.

https://money.cnn.com/2015/07/31/new...ing/index.html

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle15036916/

It's lower even if you take the $4B number for Vancouver that their CEO pushes, and less than the $5.2B proposed from Calgary's draft bid for 2026.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 5:22 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
It says a lot about the expectation and ambition, though. Beijing in 2022 is spending nearly half ($3.9B) what Vancouver spent in 2010 ($7B).

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle15036916/
Sure, but what did Beijing get a discount on this time from spending a huge chunk last time? They spent big bucks in 2008.

Good for them, I guess. I think Olympic expectations should be much more modest. The era of $40-50 billion Olympics was the mark of excess for a 3 week party.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 8:59 PM

Olympics are ego trips and nothing more and rarely do anything good for their respective cities after the flame goes down. They are a developer's wet dream {aka Vancouver 2010} but ALWAYS result in the poor being kicked out of their housing, white elephants to be repaid, infrastructure built for them and not the people paying for it, and sap precious infrastructure funds away from far superior project.

On a more comical note, can use imagine due to Montreal have the Big O, them getting both the opening and closing ceremonies? Toronto would absolutely NEVER, EVER go for that. I would love to be a fly on that wall.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 9:14 PM

Wasn't the whole point of the GTA hosting the Pan-Am games in 2015 to build the facilities and infrastructure to eventually host the summer olympics? Could Toronto not host the games with limited investments needed as a result?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada