HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 1:18 AM

Its gonna be interesting if NYC elects Andrew Yang. I have NO idea what he will look like as a mayor, but I am interested in seeing it.

Re: lightfoot.

Stop telling people that politicians aren't progress (liberal) because they aren't as liberal as you would like them to be. Basically to be a Democrat in 2021 you have to be a liberal (sans a few outliers). Thats like me saying Mitt Romney isn't a conservative because he didn't follow Trump's lead. It's silly and distracts from the overall point.

Lightfoot has appeared to be somewhat down the middle, as far as Democrats go. I wouldn't call her non-progressive though, I'd call her practical.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 4:37 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Lightfoot has appeared to be somewhat down the middle, as far as Democrats go. I wouldn't call her non-progressive though, I'd call her practical.
I think nowadays when people say "progressive" it's often in the context of internal Democratic Party politics (see e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congre...ressive_Caucus ). In this context, Lightfoot is certainly not a "progressive
(nor was Preckwinkle or Emmanuel). Chuy Garcia is a "progressive", but he decisively lost to Rahm in 2015 (though I voted for him, even though I disagreed with his views on transit).

Of course the term is overloaded and not everyone means this.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 7:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubert View Post
Being in Tokyo, what is the Japanese attitude to homelessness? I've heard there is a population there.
It's shameful.

Both in how homelessness is viewed by Japanese society (it's a personal / familial shame), and consequently how the Japanese government treats homelessness (shamefully inadequate).

The government's response to homelessness is to install more anti-sleeping benches and to clear out the camps you'll sometimes see in the less-visited sections of less-visited parks or under bridges along the rivers. The Olympics really sped that process up.

That's it.

My alma mater has done more for the Tokyo homeless through Jesuit mission work, Catholic Charities, and Habitat for Humanity than the Tokyo government. That is not hyperbole.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
It's shameful.

Both in how homelessness is viewed by Japanese society (it's a personal / familial shame), and consequently how the Japanese government treats homelessness (shamefully inadequate).

The government's response to homelessness is to install more anti-sleeping benches and to clear out the camps you'll sometimes see in the less-visited sections of less-visited parks or under bridges along the rivers. The Olympics really sped that process up.

That's it.

My alma mater has done more for the Tokyo homeless through Jesuit mission work, Catholic Charities, and Habitat for Humanity than the Tokyo government. That is not hyperbole.
I was under the impression Japan had a social safety net system akin to Sweden or Denmark?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
I was under the impression Japan had a social safety net system akin to Sweden or Denmark?
You mean like unemployment checks from the government? You need to continually apply for that here and in order to qualify you need to demonstrate you're actively looking for a job.

But in order to do any of that, you need to be emotionally and psychologically in the right frame of mind. You cannot separate mental health from homelessness, and Japanese society treats mental health issues the same way it treats homelessness: out of sight, out of mind.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubert View Post
In other words, NYC is still riding off of 25 years of either hard right (Guiliani) Center right (Bloomberg) or Center Left (1st Term DeBlasio) thought processes. If we get a hard left mayor this year, then you'll see what Pedestrian is talking about.
Pedestrian has no example of what he's talking about in the first place. He's just fearmongering about the progressive boogeyman because he's extremely right wing and needs a scapegoat instead of looking at the obvious neoliberalism rampant in his state and city.

Considering both Guiliana and Bloomberg are horrific disasters as politicians and as people. I'd say the city is much better off.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 4:37 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Allowing homeless people to live on the streets in not progressive policy. That's literally the opposite of what progressives advocate.

Clearly you’ve never been to the west coast. Either that or there are an awful lot of charlatans in the city councils’ and mayors’ offices up and down the West who believe themselves to be “progressive”.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 5:50 AM

I have to say I would never move to the west coast because of this issue. It’s crazy to me how people are willing to pay so much money to live next to homeless tent camps. I was in LA this summer and it’s absolutely disgusting. Not to mention all the crazies walking around Harassing pedestrians. Just came back from Miami and I have to say it was pleasantly surprised by how few homeless I saw.

Let’s hope this administration provides some sort of mental health solution for these folks. These people shouldn’t be on the streets. They should be in mental facilities.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 2:40 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimol742 View Post
I have to say I would never move to the west coast because of this issue. It’s crazy to me how people are willing to pay so much money to live next to homeless tent camps. I was in LA this summer and it’s absolutely disgusting. Not to mention all the crazies walking around Harassing pedestrians. Just came back from Miami and I have to say it was pleasantly surprised by how few homeless I saw.

Let’s hope this administration provides some sort of mental health solution for these folks. These people shouldn’t be on the streets. They should be in mental facilities.

Yeah, I would have to agree 100%. I love this State for its natural beauty and literally every possible type of climate. I don’t mind paying higher taxes in order to receive better services, whether it be rail, clean streets, paved highways and roads and of course reliable utilities. But we don’t have those things here in California commensurate to the amount of taxes we pay. The public schools in California are pathetic (performance wise). The homeless situation here though is straight up third world or worse. I’m not sure the State of California has ever calculated the environmental impact of homelessness, but here in Sacramento we have the American River bike trail that (in addition to the central city) has been overrun with homeless and tons of trash due to the encampments. The American River is often contaminated with E. Coli. bacteria from human feces. We like to call ourselves liberal in California (I won’t get into ‘progressive’ because I think that adjective has been coopted). But if we were truly liberal, we wouldn’t tolerate people with mental health and drug addictions to fend for themselves. We need to help those who want help getting off the streets and into safe, clean housing; provide for inpatient rehabilitation for those with substance abuse issues who want to quit, and a drastic increase in mental health beds for those who lack the mental and emotional capacity to make decisions for themselves.

I’ve moved a few times the past ten years from Sacramento to Chicago, up to Seattle and back to Sacramento. Seattle and Sacramento are just gross now. I love the company I work for which is the only reason I will stay in Sacramento (for now). But I’m under no illusions that anything will change in California. The once ‘golden state’ is mostly a myth now.

Last edited by urban_encounter; Feb 23, 2021 at 3:20 PM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
Clearly you’ve never been to the west coast. Either that or there are an awful lot of charlatans in the city councils’ and mayors’ offices up and down the West who believe themselves to be “progressive”.
Maybe the latter.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 4:09 PM

Giuliani, as mayor, wasn't remotely hard-right, LOL. He had a center-left agenda. He was at least as left as Mario Cuomo, who is more left than Andrew Cuomo.

The Giuliani of 2021 has no relationship whatsoever to the Giuliani of 1994. Giuliani won Manhattan, one of the most liberal counties in the U.S. And this was running against an extremely popular Manhattan Borough President. He was always a jerk, and probably always racist, but policy-wise he generally leaned progressive. Built a ton of subsidized housing, increased taxes on the wealthy and did a lot of "leftie" stuff.

I'm also interested in seeing how Andrew Yang would do as mayor. I won't vote for him as my first choice, but probably my third choice right now (we're doing ranked-choice voting for first time). He's probably the odds-on favorite right now.

I'll vote Ray McGuire first, then Sean Donovan, then Yang, and probably leave the rest blank. Those are the only three candidates that aren't horrible.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 10:59 PM

There are millions of empty homes just decaying in small town America and rural America. Not sure why there aren't programs nationwide to relocate homeless to very low cost. Maybe be a small farmer , or other less skilled jobs. Maybe these areas can do job training but have the services that some homeless need.
Not all homeless are addicts and mental cases. But I noticed most homeless end up in the most expensive cities. I dont see how many homeless can survive even with help. Like a homeless in LA would need 2 min wage jobs just to afford a studio. But struggle with other high tax and bills. Always a paycheck from back on the streets.
But if relocation to low cost place, many would have savings. Honolulu, Vegas, SF, Seattle, Portland, are expensive west coast cities with many homeless competing with other homeless for what little there is. Meanwhile the rest of the country outside of big cities have more resources and low cost of living and less competition.
I cant relate but is the reason or one of the reasons why homeless gravitate to expensive cities are that smaller towns and cities just don't want to offer h3lp?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 11:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Giuliani, as mayor, wasn't remotely hard-right, LOL. He had a center-left agenda. He was at least as left as Mario Cuomo, who is more left than Andrew Cuomo.

The Giuliani of 2021 has no relationship whatsoever to the Giuliani of 1994. Giuliani won Manhattan, one of the most liberal counties in the U.S. And this was running against an extremely popular Manhattan Borough President. He was always a jerk, and probably always racist, but policy-wise he generally leaned progressive. Built a ton of subsidized housing, increased taxes on the wealthy and did a lot of "leftie" stuff.

I'm also interested in seeing how Andrew Yang would do as mayor. I won't vote for him as my first choice, but probably my third choice right now (we're doing ranked-choice voting for first time). He's probably the odds-on favorite right now.

I'll vote Ray McGuire first, then Sean Donovan, then Yang, and probably leave the rest blank. Those are the only three candidates that aren't horrible.
Who cares about R vs D. All a D runned NYC has to do is copy what an R runned did in the 1990s. The opposite will yield opposite results which we're all living through.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 11:46 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
You obviously didn't live in NY during the Mario Cuomo era. He was fairly moderate/ left of center. Andrew further to the left. The state has moved further left in the past 20 or so years as has NYC. Upstate considerably to the right.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saybanana View Post
There are millions of empty homes just decaying in small town America and rural America. Not sure why there aren't programs nationwide to relocate homeless to very low cost. Maybe be a small farmer , or other less skilled jobs. Maybe these areas can do job training but have the services that some homeless need.
Not all homeless are addicts and mental cases. But I noticed most homeless end up in the most expensive cities. I dont see how many homeless can survive even with help. Like a homeless in LA would need 2 min wage jobs just to afford a studio. But struggle with other high tax and bills. Always a paycheck from back on the streets.
But if relocation to low cost place, many would have savings. Honolulu, Vegas, SF, Seattle, Portland, are expensive west coast cities with many homeless competing with other homeless for what little there is. Meanwhile the rest of the country outside of big cities have more resources and low cost of living and less competition.
I cant relate but is the reason or one of the reasons why homeless gravitate to expensive cities are that smaller towns and cities just don't want to offer h3lp?
I think you are missing the point. The homeless you see on the streets camping are in large numbers mentally ill and addicted to some sort of ilegal substance. Moving them to a cheaper place is not gonna help them.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Why should a poor Rust Belt town be burdened with indigent people shipped in from rich coastal cities?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 6:46 PM
The City

Perhaps the homeless situation may get worse after this:

Federal judge rules eviction moratorium is unconstitutional
Konstantin Toropin
By Konstantin Toropin and Paul LeBlanc, CNN

Quote:
(CNN)A federal judge in Texas on Thursday ruled that the federal moratorium on evictions is unconstitutional, according to court documents.

US District Judge John Barker, who was appointed by then-President Donald Trump to the court in the Eastern District of Texas, stopped short of issuing a preliminary injunction, but said he expected the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to respect his ruling and withdraw the moratorium.
"The federal government cannot say that it has ever before invoked its power over interstate commerce to impose a residential eviction moratorium. It did not do so during the deadly Spanish Flu pandemic. Nor did it invoke such a power during the exigencies of the Great Depression. The federal government has not claimed such a power at any point during our Nation's history until last year," Barker wrote.
Although the Covid-19 pandemic persists, he said, "so does the Constitution."
https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/25/polit...nal/index.html

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 9:07 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 10:52 PM
IWant2BeInSTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Why should a poor Rust Belt town be burdened with indigent people shipped in from rich coastal cities?
because they think they're entitled to indigent-free paradise and don't wanna look at 'em. duh.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 1:04 AM

Quote:
They don't gravitate, they come from your cities. Mostly because they can't afford the housing and nobody is helping.

How are you this willfully ignorant?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions