HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 9:06 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Ah yes, large-scale industrial development in a region with water management issues. What could possibly go wrong?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 9:11 PM
obit anus, abit onus

I think the comparison to company towns of a century ago somewhat misses the point (unless you're thinking of the most technocratic and utopian of those places, Fourierist communities or towns like New Lanark). I gather that the thought behind this is to allow tech companies to experiment in god mode with smart city technologies that have really yet to be utilized to their full potential, at least in the West: IoT, smart infrastructure, autonomous cars, surveillance, biometrics, &c., without facing the political resistance that derailed Google's efforts in Quayside, Toronto, for example.

Something like this is inevitable, eventually. It would be some seastead in the Pacific otherwise, so why not unleash Silicon Valley's technocratic hubris in the Nevada desert? Of course it will probably be dystopian but aren't you curious nonetheless? Maybe it's a dress rehearsal for Elon's first colony on Mars.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2021, 10:43 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
The U.S. has a long history with company towns, and it has probably never worked out well.

assholism

Rather than receiving compensation in United States currency, many miners received payment entirely in scrip, which could be used only at the town store, eliminating any prospects of acquiring generational wealth. The result was a situation in which miners were perpetually in debt to their employer, receiving only an "advance against unearned wages. Because the company store was often the only place to spend scrip, the company could charge exorbitant prices in these rural communities compared to prices in major cities.

still happens in some places. Walmart in Mexico, for example:
Court outlaws Wal-Mart de Mexico worker vouchers
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 4:42 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

I'm not concerned if tech corporations provide their worker/residents with water. But the article also mentions, in addition to providing services, that they would also form courts, and I find that a bit concerning. Corporate court systems--what could possibly go wrong?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 5:48 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitopiaaa View Post
Is this that uncommon? Isn't Disney World in Orlando in a company town (Lake Buena Vista)?
Yes. Lake Buena Vista has thirty residents and nearby Bay Lake has about fifty; Disney employees and their families.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2021, 3:51 PM

Cyberpunk dystopia here we come!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions