HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echostatic View Post
This site faces an unpaved back alley and an interstate frontage road. There's really no point in retail.
Disagree. There’s a restaurant on the lot right now! They should have first floor retail space.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
Disagree. There’s a restaurant on the lot right now! They should have first floor retail space.
There wasn't enough space to include significant retail due to the space needed for the other requirements of a tall residential building. The City agreed, and they got approval without it. The small amount of space available for non-residential uses was too small for a viable retail establishment, so it will be a very small art gallery instead. They didn't even have enough space to meet the Great Streets requirements due to the TxDOT right of way. The City also agreed with that by approving the zoning.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 2:29 PM
World Traveler

If I-35 gets lowered - either to cap or left open - would that begin at Holly St. or Cesar Chavez?

My reason for asking is that if it starts at or before Holly St., it will feel less like an access road (to a degree), especially if they cap the highway with a park down the road. At that point, it would be hugely advantageous to have retail/restaurants.

Edit: Looks like ATX and I posted about the same time. It would be hard to work something into that layout, for sure.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
If I-35 gets lowered - either to cap or left open - would that begin at Holly St. or Cesar Chavez?

My reason for asking is that if it starts at or before Holly St., it will feel less like an access road (to a degree), especially if they cap the highway with a park down the road. At that point, it would be hugely advantageous to have retail/restaurants.

Edit: Looks like ATX and I posted about the same time. It would be hard to work something into that layout, for sure.
From the couple proposals I remember, most of them start at Holly st., although I'm sure the specific plans might vary.

Although I'd imagine the "real" tunnel entrance would be between Holly and CC, given that that's where I-35 starts to straighten out and go directly north. So I'd guess that it's much simpler to do a straight tunnel rather than a slightly curved one.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2021, 5:29 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
From the couple proposals I remember, most of them start at Holly st., although I'm sure the specific plans might vary.

Although I'd imagine the "real" tunnel entrance would be between Holly and CC, given that that's where I-35 starts to straighten out and go directly north. So I'd guess that it's much simpler to do a straight tunnel rather than a slightly curved one.
Makes sense to me. So either way the park portion would likely start after Cesar Chavez, if at all.

I really hope we're able to get that - someday. It would add a lot of character and make more natural connections across the highway between east and west. Klyde Warren Park in Dallas does a great job of bringing Uptown and Downtown together and it's really not even that big.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin