HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 3:01 AM

I don't really think the terrorists will go after the site anymore. They already succeeded in destroying the iconic Twin Towers like they always wanted...obviously the site is still a huge terror target but they finished the job 13 years ago.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Kurt View Post
I would agree with the notion that the "grieving familes" thing might be being used as an emotional mechinism, BUT, keep in mind, the base jumpers free falling off the top of this building conjurs up images and memories of those families' loved ones plunging to theirs deaths from buildings the exact same hieght on the same spot. It's like the sports jumpers were saying: "you died doing this and we lived and it was fun and cool!" I don't care if it's 100 years, those people falling to their deaths will haunt me the rest of my life. And anyone who didn't think of the comparisson is a thoughtless, souless moron.
It will always be an emotional mechanism for the media to flaunt in order to get a reaction. 9/11 will always remain a scar and the innocent lives lost could never be forgotten. No one deserved to die that day, except for the terrorists of course.

I agree with you, the base jumpers did bring up terrible memories of that day that we all had to experience. I just feel the media rants about One WTC being a target too much. It will give a sense of fear to those who visit the Tower. They might as well say come visit One World Trade Center, America's fear tower.

I do agree with NYGuy, it will always be a target no matter how we look at it. However, we can't let fear rule our lives. The Port Authority needs to clean up their act. These two breaches in security are an immense embarrassment on their part. Once the complex is complete, security will be far greater than it is now. I just hope it doesn't turn the WTC into a police state.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 3:07 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Oh boy....what next?

http://nypost.com/2014/03/26/half-bl...ng-on-the-job/

Half-blind guard caught sleeping at WTC site

By Philip Messing, Reuven Fenton and Bruce Golding
March 26, 2014
How the fuck was this guy hired in the first place? Cheap-ass muthafuckas from Durst. They really want 9/11 to repeat itself.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 3:08 AM
weidncol

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIsland View Post
I don't really think the terrorists will go after the site anymore. They already succeeded in destroying the iconic Twin Towers like they always wanted...obviously the site is still a huge terror target but they finished the job 13 years ago.
The terrorists didn't destroy the original complex because the Twins were iconic, they did it to hurt the U.S. economy, which they partially succeeded in. The original complex also contained a lot of government tenants, which was another reason it was a target. It isn't going to help that the new complex will also have government tenants.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
The terrorists didn't destroy the original complex because the Twins were iconic, they did it to hurt the U.S. economy, which they partially succeeded in. The original complex also contained a lot of government tenants, which was another reason it was a target. It isn't going to help that the new complex will also have government tenants.
There status also played a part in them being a target. There are plenty of other skyscrapers they could have went after that has the same type of tenants the towers did. They symbolized Americas global power and dominance especially being in NY. They were symbols that they wanted to destroy as well as killing as many Americans as they can while hurting our economy. It was everything. I'm well aware of that.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 4:05 AM

Quote:
It will always be a top terrorist target, if only for the symbolism. It's a reality we have accepted, it's why the building is so excessively expensive, with extra built in security features and a base sometimes referred to as a bunker. Obviously there are other "targets" around, something could happen anywhere. But it would be foolish to think this building wouldn't be a top target.
Of course it will remain a terrorist target, just like most of the icons in the western world, but I cannot believe that it is a 'top' terrorist target any longer.

As much as I hate to admit it, the terrorists won that day. Their plans were wildly successful, with the only hiccup being Flight 93. Aside from the fact that the new WTC would be very difficult to topple for structural and security reasons, StrongIsland is correct in conceding that the terrorists enjoyed a full victory there, and attacking a complex whose centerpiece is now a memorial just doesn't make any sense, whether symbolically, economically, or politically.

Quote:
There are plenty of other skyscrapers they could have went after that has the same type of tenants the towers did.
If you will forgive the expression, the sheer volume and occupancy of the World Trade Center allowed the terrorists to get the most bang for their buck. It was mostly a matter of numbers, and, if this article is to be believed, Bin Laden had a personal bone to pick with chief WTC architect Minoru Yamasaki: http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/c..._commerce.html

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 6:39 AM

Quote:

It will always be a top terrorist target, if only for the symbolism. It's a reality we have accepted, it's why the building is so excessively expensive, with extra built in security features and a base sometimes referred to as a bunker. Obviously there are other "targets" around, something could happen anywhere. But it would be foolish to think this building wouldn't be a top target.

They'd probably go after a softer target like ESB, Chrysler or the Statue of Liberty next time (if there is a next time). This thing is like a fortress. It would be extremely hard to destroy. And to be perfectly honest, losing the ESB or Chrysler would be much more emotionally devastating for the average New Yorker than a very new and not very loved (as of now at least) "glass box."

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 12:56 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
I don't really think the terrorists will go after the site anymore.
I think it's safe to say it's a good thing you're not in charge of rebuilding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
I do agree with NYGuy, it will always be a target no matter how we look at it. However, we can't let fear rule our lives.
They are rebuilding, and moving workers back onto the site. That alone says fear won't rule. However, that doesn't mean we have to be stupid either. It would be more of a target now than it was prior to 9/11, simply for just that fact - it is a rebuilding and triumph over those attacks. So that's why all of the money was put into this building with the extra security features and built in safeguards. Also, there are a lot of security measures that will be included that we won't know about (they aren't saying).

Quote:
They were symbols that they wanted to destroy as well as killing as many Americans as they can while hurting our economy.
Also keep in mind that the word "terrorism" comes from "terror". All they need do to be successful is to instill fear. This building will be a symbol around the world, a testament to the rebuilding of the skyline (however awkward it is).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtDecoRevival View Post
They'd probably go after a softer target like ESB, Chrysler or the Statue of Liberty next time (if there is a next time). This thing is like a fortress. It would be extremely hard to destroy.
See above, terrorist don't really need to destroy anything. It's the fear factor. There are so many other potential targets that could suffer more damage, but none as symbolic as the WTC. We should never let our guard down anywhere, but especially here. That's not to say the entire complex need be the "police state" the NYPD seems to have planned.

But look at it this way. It's been 13 years since the 9/11 attacks, and yet we still have to go through the hassle of screenings at the airports. There hasn't been another attack on a skyscraper with an airplane since then, so does that mean they should cancel all of those checks? Of course not.

When the workers are moving in later this year, and early next year, and the streets are buzzing with people living their lives, laughing, enjoying life in general, we will already have won. But our guard should never be let down again. We would only have ourselves to blame for that.

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Iri...ro-VIDEO-.html

Irish American World Trade Center jumper could become a folk hero

Kate Hickey
March 28,2014

Quote:
James Brady, a skilled iron worker, may become a cult hero after his daredevil feat of BASE jumping from the top of 1 World Trade Center (WTC), the skyscraper he helped to build.

Brady (32), along with Andrew Rossig (33), Marco Markovich (27), and the lookout, Kyle Hartwell (29), jumped from the building attached to parachutes on September 30 . The former WTC iron worker wore a camera on his helmet providing the world with the amazing video (below) of his descent from 1,776 feet. He lands on West Street before running for cover and bustling up his chute.

Their jump, which was reported by a security guard in the Goldman Sachs building closeby, sparked fears of a terrorist attack. Police had been investigating since.

Irish American Brady, from Kings Park, Long Island, comes from a long line of ironworkers. He has worked for DCM Erectors, but completed his work after Thanksgiving 2013. He is a member of the ironworkers Local 40 union.

Brady was among the ironworkers who put the beam, signed by President Obama and the First Lady, on the 104th floor. Known for this climbing ability, Brady was among the team of ironworkers who completed the spire atop the WTC, now the tallest building in New York City.

Days after their jump Brady had helped TIME magazine to take a 360-degree image from the building's spire. They took a stunning photos of the imposing ironworker and spoke to him about his work.

Clearly in awe of the structure he had help to build, he told TIME “Whenever I see it, I’m like, ‘F—in’ A, man, the thing’s f—in’ huge!’...And we were up there.”

What is amazing about their act is that they did not do it for public notoriety, in this world of social media and YouTube, they simply did it for the sport, albeit reckless.

Rossig said, “We were not ever looking to go public with this.” And added, “We knew what we were getting into when we did it.”

Their video posted by the NYC Freedom Tower B.A.S.E. Jump, on their YouTube channel, has already racked up almost 3 million views.

Their actions are already being compared to those of Philippe Petit, who was made famous recently through the award-winning documentary “Man on Wire.” In 1974, Petit and his cohorts broken into the site and he walked a high-wire between the Twin Towers.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 1:08 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 28, 2014 at 1:19 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 2:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Kurt View Post
I would agree with the notion that the "grieving familes" thing might be being used as an emotional mechinism, BUT, keep in mind, the base jumpers free falling off the top of this building conjurs up images and memories of those families' loved ones plunging to theirs deaths from buildings the exact same hieght on the same spot. It's like the sports jumpers were saying: "you died doing this and we lived and it was fun and cool!" I don't care if it's 100 years, those people falling to their deaths will haunt me the rest of my life. And anyone who didn't think of the comparisson is a thoughtless, souless moron.
Good point. I didn't draw the parallels between their jump and the jumpers on 9/11. I suspect they didn't fully consider that either. They also didn't ever plan on taking it public, and have stated that all revenue from the video on YouTube (3.5MM views = approx. $7k) will be donated to related charities, so that's pretty good on them.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2014, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
Good point. I didn't draw the parallels between their jump and the jumpers on 9/11. I suspect they didn't fully consider that either. They also didn't ever plan on taking it public, and have stated that all revenue from the video on YouTube (3.5MM views = approx. $7k) will be donated to related charities, so that's pretty good on them.
I saw the connection to the 9/11 jumpers immediately, but I interpreted it as a positive one. These new jumpers are Americans who conquered what had tragically killed their compatriots twelve years prior, as if they were surviving the fall in honor of them. It seemed to be at least partly an act of solidarity with the victims.

We can only speculate how the victim's families have interpreted this spectacle, unless they've already publicly spoken out about it. Regardless, I think their hearts were in the right place (they weren't doing it for money or publicity).

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 7:19 AM

I love how this base jumping thing is putting my town in recognition...what did you guys think the KP stood for haha! Love the progress of the building and lighting!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 10:02 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ krazy persons?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtDecoRevival View Post
They'd probably go after a softer target like ESB, Chrysler or the Statue of Liberty next time (if there is a next time). This thing is like a fortress. It would be extremely hard to destroy. And to be perfectly honest, losing the ESB or Chrysler would be much more emotionally devastating for the average New Yorker than a very new and not very loved (as of now at least) "glass box."
if i were in the the tehr business, i'd look elsewhere than the esb. it already took a plane hit in 1945.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/B-25_...Building_crash

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 1:52 PM

yeah you couldn't be more wrong on the empire state being a soft target... it would take a ballistic attack to take that down. and for the record the terrorists didn't actually have a complete victory at the wtc, bin laden wanted to knock the towers over instead of have them collapse, which would've done so much more damage.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 3:31 PM

Thank God.

Assistant Director of Security at 1WTC to Resign

One of the men in charge of security at One World Trade Center is resigning.

The news follow a break-in earlier this month and the arrests this week of three daredevils who parachuted off the skyscraper in September.

Daniel Vasquez is the building's assistant director of security.

Though the Port Authority owns the property and is responsible for perimeter security, Vasquez works for the Durst Organization, which took over building security in January.

A spokesperson for the Durst Organization says that Vasquez will remain on for a transitional period.

The Port Authority is not commenting.

http://www.ny1.com/content/news/2060...1wtc-to-resign

Another fuck up by Durst.....

Last edited by NewYorker2009; Mar 29, 2014 at 3:43 PM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
^ krazy persons?!!

if i were in the the tehr business, i'd look elsewhere than the esb. it already took a plane hit in 1945.

The 767's that hit the WTC had a maximum operating weight between 9 and 14 times greater than the B25 that hit the ESB - that's a lot more kinetic energy (and fuel)

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 4:14 PM
DENNAB

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
The 767's that hit the WTC had a maximum operating weight between 9 and 14 times greater than the B25 that hit the ESB - that's a lot more kinetic energy (and fuel)
They were also going much faster.

Keep in mind the ESB is made out of stone as well, that building isn't going anywhere.

Good to see the head of security resigned, now only if Durst himself could do so.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
^ krazy persons?!!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 5:17 PM

Actually those were 737s. But let's change the subject. :/

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 5:23 PM
Jeez Louise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
But is it not also true that the interior of the ESB was refitted in 2008 to make it more terror proof??? I was there visiting and saw the construction on the inside of the building.

They said it was to make it more energy efficient but let's be honest... 7 years after 9/11 you JUST NOW decide to renovate the building top to bottom to make it 'energy efficient'.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive