HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 3:58 PM

And we have our first dare devil at the new World Trade Center!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 4:38 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Although it wasn't as inspirational as Petit's walk between the former Twins, this act is kinda sad on the WTC security's part. $40 million dollars to build and maintain the world's most expensive and most targeted building and a little kid was able to make it past security. Before 9/11 and even before 1993 I would have not taken it very seriously. However, we're in a new era where terrorist attacks could happen any time and these guys couldn't even stop a teen. History might as well repeat itself again but hopefully this happened on account of the WTC not being finishing yet, therefore not having complete security.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 7:25 PM

Pathetic. :|

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 7:40 PM
DENNAB

Hilarious but sad.

Guess we don't have to wait until the observatory opens we can just sneak right on in!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 8:31 PM
weidncol

Just imagine if that teen happened to be some sort of terrorist and had done something to the site. Thankfully, that didn't happen, but very scary to think about it.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 9:15 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Pics/vid, or it never happened!

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 10:37 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikelAS View Post
Alright, which one of you was it?
I hope it wasn't one of you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
Just imagine if that teen happened to be some sort of terrorist and had done something to the site. Thankfully, that didn't happen, but very scary to think about it.
It's unacceptable really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubeworm View Post
Pics/vid, or it never happened!

This kid spend 2 hours up there!

Quote:
“He came here and he ran hog wild,” said a stunned WTC worker.

Casquejo, who lives in Weehawken, NJ, laughed the whole thing off Wednesday afternoon when The Post asked him about his escapade.

“Ha ha, oh yeah, that. Right. I would really love to talk to you guys because I have a lot that I want to say about it,” he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/21/ny...=nyregion&_r=0

Details Sought On How Youth Could Ascend Trade Center

By MICHAEL SCHWIRTZ
MARCH 20, 2014

Quote:
Authorities are trying to determine how a 16-year-old New Jersey boy sneaked past security at 1 World Trade Center and spent two hours early Sunday making his way to the top of the 1,776-foot tower, which is still under construction.

Mr. Casquejo admitted breaking into the site, according to a criminal complaint.

“I found a way up through the scaffolding, climbed onto the sixth floor, and took the elevator up to the 88th floor,” he said, according to the complaint. “I then took the staircase up to the 104th floor. I went to the rooftop and climbed the ladder all the way to the antenna.”

Though Mr. Casquejo seemed to be nothing more than a young thrill seeker, the breach raised questions about the level of security at the site, which largely remains a construction zone more than 12 years after the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11 destroyed the original World Trade Center.

“We take security and these type of infractions extremely seriously and will prosecute violators,” Joseph Dunne, the Port Authority’s chief security officer, said in a statement. “We continue to reassess our security posture at the site and we are constantly working to make this site as secure as possible.”

Photos of Mr. Casquejo posted to his Twitter account show him and his friends scaling a crane overlooking the Manhattan skyline and posing on top of a bulldozer at a construction site. One photo shows someone doing a flip from a bridge into the water. He describes himself at one point as part of a parkour team, a reference to the gravity-defying urban sport that sometimes involves scaling buildings and other high structures.
I'm sure this won't be his last attempt to get to the top of some skyscraper.

https://twitter.com/JustinCasquejo/s...737280/photo/1

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Video Link

http://nypost.com/2014/03/20/teen-sn...s-104th-floor/

Teen sneaks past guard to reach WTC spire

By Philip Messing, Frank Rosario and Bruce Golding
March 20, 2014
I can't believe it. A young Philippe Petit........

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 1:27 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Daredevil number one. Won't be long before someone else does it. I wonder where those Russians are that went to the top of the Shanghai tower? This is probably their next goal along with every other daredevil.

Yet in all seriousness, this demonstrates how such a secure site can still be at risk. Luckily it wasn't anyone bent on malice.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 12:26 PM
New Yorker for life

I wouldn't mind seeing the footage the kid got...

http://www.newsday.com/news/new-york...each-1.7456177

Officials: Cellphone images sought after teen's 1 WTC breach

March 20, 2014
By ANTHONY M. DESTEFANO

Quote:
Port Authority police have seized the cellphone and camera of a New Jersey teenager to find out his motive for allegedly penetrating multiple layers of security over the weekend -- including NYPD street patrols -- to reach the top floors of 1 World Trade Center, officials said Thursday.

Justin Casquejo, 16, of Weehawken, was charged with misdemeanor criminal trespass after he was found in the building Sunday morning and admitting he "went to the rooftop and climbed the ladder all the way to the antenna," according to court papers.

The caper Casquejo allegedly pulled off has prompted police officials at the Port Authority to review security operations at the building, which is slated to open to tenants this year.

.....Pentangelo said Casquejo's camera and cellphone were seized pursuant to a search warrant in the hopes that images may show where the teenager went while in the building.

A spokesman for the Manhattan district attorney's office said Casquejo was released on his own recognizance late Sunday. He couldn't be reached for comment Thursday.

Pentangelo said when Casquejo got to the 104th floor, he encountered a guard for a company doing security for the Port Authority. The guard was fired for inattentiveness, Pentangelo said.

According to NYPD and Port Authority officials, city police have responsibility for security on the streets around the building while the bi-state agency has responsibility for security from the sidewalks into the building.

Video Link

Video Link

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 1:52 PM

Eh, they should expect more of these stunts. Who's that guy that likes to climb up buildings?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 3:20 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Eh, they should expect more of these stunts. Who's that guy that likes to climb up buildings?
I think its Alain Robert. That french dude who scaled the Petronas Towers and Eiffel tower and much more.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 4:59 PM
the canyons of the city

Could someone explain what those "tabs" are around the most recently installed glass panels?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2014, 5:17 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I think its Alain Robert. That french dude who scaled the Petronas Towers and Eiffel tower and much more.
Also known as Spiderman.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 7:49 AM
Ex Houstonian

They're probably going to destroy that kids life with jail time but instead they should give him a pat on the back for showing how lax security is on the worlds number one terrorist target. He went up the elevator? Seriously? He's got some massive balls, luckily some dim witted security guard didn't shoot him.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 4:02 PM

Wouldn't be the first time the Port Authority f*cked up, and it won't be the last. They didn't learn from 1993, and it looks like they haven't learned from 9/11 either. This kid had real balls to achieve this and he doesn't regret it. He is no Philippe Petit but he will only be known for breaching the Port Authority's joke of security. It's sad how they want him to do 90 days in prison. Yeah he broke the law but so do the criminals on Wall Street, Government officials, politicians, crooked police, gangsters, and they will never do time. F*ck the justice system in this country. Nothing but corruption.....

Last edited by NewYorker2009; Mar 22, 2014 at 4:15 PM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
Wouldn't be the first time the Port Authority f*cked up, and it won't be the last. They didn't learn from 1993, and it looks like they haven't learned from 9/11 either. This kid had real balls to achieve this and he doesn't regret it. He is no Philippe Petit but he will only be known for breaching the Port Authority's joke of security. It's sad how they want him to do 90 days in prison. Yeah he broke the law but so do the criminals on Wall Street, Government officials, politicians, crooked police, gangsters, and they will never do time. F*ck the justice system in this country. Nothing but corruption.....
really? 90 days!!? wow what is wrong with this country! He didn't even commit a crime! I'm done here.. wow

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepen915 View Post
really? 90 days!!? wow what is wrong with this country! He didn't even commit a crime! I'm done here.. wow
Trespassing is a crime.

And think about this - if he hurt himself or worse, the Port Authority would be slapped with a glacial-sized lawsuit (because who needs personal responsibility, but that's besides the point) within a week. Every single bottom feeder lawyer in the world would be looking to get a piece of the action. I wouldn't want that constant fear looming over my head if I were managing this project.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
the worlds number one terrorist target.
Formerly number one. Beating a dead horse is probably #1776 on their list now. The security is mostly reassuring theatrics, although now I'm not sure how reassuring...

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 5:54 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepen915 View Post
I know. Theres people that commit battery against someone else that get less time. Its messed up. But anyways lets focus on the tower. No sense in rambling on about this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive