HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Nov 21, 2015, 4:03 AM

Bleachers in Wrigley!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I just came across the following postcards in an old file of mine. (I collected them from eBay a few years ago)

"All Nations Expansion" Assembly, August 13-17, 1947.

ebay
When I saw this picture, I was startled at the sight of outfield bleachers. Then I realized that these had to have been temporary bleachers set up just for this event.

Given how tailored the bleachers are for the stadium, I assume these must have been part of Wrigley's equipment, to be used as needed for non-baseball events such as this. Since this event occurred in August, it would have to have been during an Angels road trip. I bet the outfield was pretty chewed up when the next home stand began!

Edit: Upon reading what I posted, I see I forgot to mention that there actually were some bleachers in right/right center field. What startled me was bleachers all the way around.

Last edited by Otis Criblecoblis; Nov 21, 2015 at 4:58 AM. Reason: Inarticulateness

Old Posted Nov 21, 2015, 4:36 AM

NoirCity Dame, Those are some of the greatest photos I've seen on this site. The architecture and neighborhoods are wonderful, but real life as it was lived in old L.A. is what this site is all about, as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by John Maddox Roberts; Nov 21, 2015 at 5:33 PM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2015, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post
Pali was our rivals..but i gotta stick up for the school this one and only time...it could of been worse,it could of looked like the NEW L.A. High or the NEW Fairfax..just saying.
I agree unihikid. Pali may be uninspired but LAHS No. 3 is literally a crime:

"The 1917 building sustained moderate cosmetic damage, principally in the tower area, during the Sylmar earthquake in 1971. Efforts spearheaded by the Alumni Association, founded in 1876, to repair and preserve the iconic structure were opposed by certain commercial interests, who lobbied for its demolition, and finally decisively thwarted when it was gutted by a fire of mysterious origin. The replacement structure has been universally decried and finds no champions among either current or former students and faculty, or residents of the neighboring community."
-LAHS wiki page

Quote:
...I couldn't locate any other images of the exterior of Grant School on NLA.
__
"Located in the 'Little Armenia' community of East Hollywood, Grant Elementary School has been serving Kindergarten through 6th grade students for over 100 years. Grant first opened its doors in 1904, and at that time, it served a total student population of 100, from grades K – 8th."
- grant school 'history' page

I am still looking for a shot of the facade of the original Vine Street School (backing on the old Metro lot). Built as the "Colegrove School", I think it was opened by ca 1910 (Norma Jean Baker attended Vine Street School in 1935-1937).

Thx NCD. So fun, such pals, so evocative.

_____

Last edited by tovangar2; Nov 22, 2015 at 5:34 PM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2015, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noircitydame View Post
My grandmother and her friends had a girls' weekend at Balboa May 3-4, 1947 and stayed at the Balboa Inn, on the left in the above shot Hoss C posted.
It's so cool to see a whole series of photos like that.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2015, 10:18 PM

Which one ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noircitydame View Post
heading out from somewher in LA
I guess I'm not the only one noirisher to think of that : which one NCD is your grand-mother ?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2015, 10:44 PM

'mystery' intersection / bus slide

Probably the best clue is the gas-o-meter in the distance.

ebay

Any idea where this is?
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 21, 2015 at 11:03 PM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2015, 10:57 PM

Bus slide.

This location is pretty easy.....behind the bus is the orange "mock-awning" of Googies at 5th & Olive, downtown.

eBay

And you get a good glimpse of the church that used to stand behind the San Carlos Hotel.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 25, 2015 at 2:04 AM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2015, 11:22 PM

If I were writing a screenplay, I'd have my main character arrive in Los Angeles on the Super Chief, and then have him stop at the Apache for a cocktail.

eBay

It all sounds so 1940ish & noirish, if you know what I mean.

I wonder why one phone number is MA and the other VA?

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 21, 2015 at 11:51 PM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 12:28 AM

Today we're in North Hollywood to see Julius Shulman's photos of the Southern California Gas Company's offices and showroom. The building was designed by Douglas Honnold and John Rex, who were the architects of a couple the Coffee Dan's I've posted recently. It's "Job 1521: Douglas Honnold and John Rex, Southern California Gas Company (Los Angeles, Calif.),1953".

The inside of the entrance. The number over the door proved handy when I was looking for the location.

Shiny, new 1953 appliances.

A wide view of the counter area. The sign at the back says "Gas obeys you instantly".

Look at all that modern technology!

There was a lot of space in the showroom.

Does anyone know what these are?

I'm trying to decide if that entrance is tiled or a heavy mat.

I nearly omitted this last shot as it seemed to duplicate the first. When I looked closer, I realized that the blind/sun shade is missing in this picture. Next door was a gift store called Oldfield's.

All from Getty Research Institute

According to the November 12, 1951 edition of The Van Nuys News, the office opened over a year before Mr Shulman visited. It also reveals the address as 6156 Lankershim Boulevard.

www.newspapers.com

The building now houses the Eclectic restaurant. The front has been opened out to extend the dining area to the sidewalk, but the entrance looks intact.

GSV

Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 1:27 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Today we're in North Hollywood to see Julius Shulman's photos of the Southern California Gas Company's offices and showroom. The building was designed by Douglas Honnold and John Rex, who were the architects of a couple the Coffee Dan's I've posted recently. It's "Job 1521: Douglas Honnold and John Rex, Southern California Gas Company (Los Angeles, Calif.),1953".

A wide view of the counter area. The sign at the back says "Gas obeys you instantly".

Would you look at that monster stove at the left. It has 8 burners, two ovens, three broilers, a griddle in the middle and clocks.
It probably also has a place to keep the buns warm. Would that make the wife happy or what?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 1:34 AM

I didn't know the Independent Order of Foresters had a Tubercular Sanatorium in Lopez Canyon. (about 25 miles north of downtown Los Angeles)

eBay

I've only been able to find bit & pieces of information.

#1..... The original site was 40 acres.
#2..... It operated from 1913 to 1952.
#3..... A model of one of the hollow tile cabins won an architecture award at the 1915 San Francisco Exposition.
#4..... The Foresters also maintained a suite of rooms for surgery patients at the Pacific Hospital in Los Angeles.

I was hoping to find some ruins up in Lopez Canyon, but without a specific address it's like searching for a needle in a haystack.

As most of you know we have visited the downtown International Order of Foresters Building (246 S. Hill) several times on NLA.

Here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=24031

And here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=24369

And Hoss found a second location at 1329 S. Hope Street that is still standing!
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=25230

_

Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 2:06 AM

Take a look at this fun diner.

Eddie Kover's Bull Pen Jr. in Pacoima (near Lopez Canyon....hence the discovery )

eBay

I even found a postcard of the interior. -very cool mid-century(?) chairs that would be worth a lot of money today.

eBay

here's the address, and "that's no bull"

eBay

Today the building is home to Mexico Lindo Auto Sales. (a bit of a disappointment for sure)

gsv

At first I thought this was the old Bull Pen building. (it's actually next door, across the side street, Goleta)

gsv

I've never seen a Thai restaurant use that 'old west' typeface before.

And to my surprise, from this angle you can see that the faux-front is hiding a small house.

gsv

-and the small house looks to be pretty old. -note the vent below the eave. I'm guessing 1910s or 20s.

gsv

there's a kitty under the car perplexed by the google-mobile.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 22, 2015 at 2:29 AM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 4:33 AM

Woolen Mill on Figueroa north of Fifth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
There's a quote from "Adobe Days" (1931) re this intersection that I've always wondered about:

"Mr Coulter had a woolen mill over the hill near the present corner of Figueroa and Fifth Streets. The old brick walls of this factory may still be seen - the main part of a modern-fronted garage. There was a little stream there called Los Reyes"

One of these days the garage will turn up in a photo....
Looking west across Figueroa at the former Coulter's woolen mill, c. 1931. Its four chimneys make the building easy to identify:

USCDL -- http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/re...coll65/id/1926

The ex-woolen mill can be seen in front of the Walgrove Apartments in this closeup from a c. 1916 panorama
we've seen before. That's 5th Street intersecting Figueroa at the bottom center of the photo; the 1906 Sanborn
Map gives an address of 439 S. Figueroa for the former mill:

USCDL -- http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/re...coll65/id/1361

Looking north at the woolen mill, 1876. I've enlarged the photo a bit, but it's still very hard to make out the
few houses in the upper right corner:

UCLA -- https://dl.library.ucla.edu/islandor.../laviews%3A142

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post

I would in no way assume that. FW has powers
__
My powers are very poor indeed compared to yours, t2.

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Apr 6, 2023 at 4:39 AM. Reason: update link to 1876 pic

Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 4:46 AM

Lone Star Studios/Metro Studios

Thx FW for finding the images of Coulter's Woolen Mill. Gorgeous.

As for my powers: pfft!

...........................................................................................

Still looking into the history of the old Metro Studios and environs, I finally understood that from soon after its inception in 1915, until 1917 when Metro took over, this was the studio that Mutual leased for Charlie Chaplin. The Mutual subsidiary formed to serve Chaplin's productions was called the Lone Star Film Corporation. I knew it was a company, but what I didn't know was it was a place.

I'm no expert on silent film. I'm sure many of you knew about Lone Star Studios all along. I didn't, but I'm fascinated by the very early studios, so really wanted to know the history of this one.

As usual, there was a ton of info out there, some of it conflicting. I hope I haven't totally garbled this. Corrections welcome.

First, some quotes:

"In April 1916, the month of his 27th birthday, Chaplin changed studios again, signing with the Mutual Film Company. Calling for a dozen two-reel comedies over the course of a year, Chaplin’s new contract stipulated a $670,000 salary, more than ten times the amount he had received at Essanay. The agreement also created Lone Star Studio whose sole purpose was the production of Chaplin’s comedies. The deal cost Mutual a total of $1,530,000, including Chaplin’s pay. An early historian of film Terry Ramsaye correctly called Lone Star 'the biggest operation centered about a single star in the history of the motion picture industry.'

Today, Chaplin’s Mutual series is recognized as one of the most inspired creative bursts in film history."

'Fulfilling the Mutual contract, I suppose, was the happiest period of my career', Chaplin later recalled. 'I was light and unencumbered, twenty-seven years old, with fabulous prospects and a friendly, glamorous world before me. Within a short time I would be a millionaire—it all seemed slightly mad.'”

- "It's Mutual: Charlie Chaplin Shorts, 1916-1917" by Robert Byrne

"...by 1917 [Triangle Film Corporation] operated as the distributor for four subsidiary studios in California, three of which were in the Los Angeles area and the other in Santa Barbara. They were Signal Film Corporation, Vogue Films, Inc., Lone Star Film Company and American Film Company. Vogue Films, Inc. operated a studio at Santa Monica Boulevard and Gower street in Los Angeles...

During 1916 and 1917, the Lone Star Film Company had Charlie Chaplin working at their studio at 1025 Lillian Way, in Hollywood."

- Mutual Film/Wikipedia

"The Mutual Film Corporation created a subsidiary called The Lone Star Corporation solely to make the Chaplin films...The company provided Chaplin his own studio, named The Lone Star Studio. The facility was formerly the Climax Studios, located at 1025 Lillian Way in Hollywood..."
- Mutual Chaplin Specials by Jeffrey Vance

When Chaplin left Mutual, owner Climax leased the lot to Metro:

cdnc /Los Angeles Herald, 9 October 1917

Sir Charles Spencer Chaplin (1889-1977) in 1916:

wikipedia

"Easy Street" (1917) was one of Chaplin's Mutual Comedies, filmed at Lone Star. It came up on the thread recently (pg 1572) when e_r started us looking into the location shots: Olvera Adobe/L.A. City Water Company and Italian Hall/Olvera Street.

IMDB (detail)

I cannot tell you the fun I had rewatching "Easy Street", now that I know where the oh-so-hokey standing and stage sets were. (I used to live in a craftsman bungalow just a few blocks NE of here. It was being hammered together at the same time Lone Star Studios was built):

Chaplin with Eric Campbell:

-"Easy Street"/YouTube

Chaplin in the thug's flat:

-"Easy Street"/YouTube

"Hope Mission" entrance:

-"Easy Street"/YouTube

Maybe the "Hope Mission" exterior was filmed at a back entrance of the building we know from its Metro days? (or maybe not, other bungalows were added to the lot):

water and power (detail)

The bungalow building with the roof sign (AKA "Stage A") is actually an addition to the original, much smaller house/office at 1025 Lillian Way (referenced in quotes near the top of this post as the address of Lone Star Studios). This little, pre-existing building was built near the end of 1914, too late to make the 1914 Baist map (one can just glimpse its roof ridge in the photo above). The addition was connected to the original building, which is obvious from the 1919 Sanborn, but it's hard to tell that from this angle.

The Climax Co, owner and lessor of the lot, built the 21' x 26' addition in 1916 with an entrance facing on Eleanor (Climax was also the contractor). From the permit, it sounds like it started as an open stage which was then walled & roofed over. I. Jay Knapp was the architect. According to the 1919 Sanborn map it was used as an "Office":

ladbs

After 15 years, the building was demolished, along with much else:

ladbs

Three more undated photos of this lot turned up (I'm guessing from Metro's time there). The facility looks so fresh and new, and also remarkably tidy.

A stage:

lapl

The Front Gate, SE corner Romaine and Cole (note the bungalows behind the Administration Building):

seaver center

The Mill:

lapl

The 1921 Baist map reveals that Metro also leased the top of the block, extending south from Willoughby, between Cole and Cahuenga, meaning this studio was on parts of five blocks. I, at first, thought it was only four:

historic mapworks

And an irresistible aerial (the camera is looking SW, with Lillian Way and Eleanor on the bottom margin, left of center):

silent locations

The block at lower right, with the big trees, was built out as offices and labs by Technicolor, starting in 1938 with their gorgeous main building at 6311 Romaine. It is now Television Center, a rental facility, and remains beautifully maintained.

The block at upper left (Lot #3), looking like it has an icy "Arctic" standing set, is the future home of the extant Red Studios, the only part of the old Metro that's left.

Detail shot of the image above. This shows just the studio's original block (and those paired Administration Buildings). This was Lone Star and later Keaton's part of Metro. That open soundstage got a roof in Oct 1921:

hollywoodphotographs

Thx e_r for opening this one up and to Hoss too, for your help. I had a lot of fun:

hathitrust image (altered)
this version previously posted by HossC in a larger size

Last edited by tovangar2; Nov 27, 2015 at 8:02 PM. Reason: better pic

Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

Here's an excerpt from an article called 'Queen of the Harbor' by Jerry Hicks, which appeared in the July 2005 edition of 'Orange Coast Magazine'. The article was written to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Balboa Pavilion, which means it must now be 110 years old. The full article is here - you'll have to scroll back to page 104 to read it from the start. I've just copied the part about the 1940s era which we discussed recently. I think the postcard above is probably the one referenced in the text.
NB. I've rearranged the original layout to be more screen-friendly.

books.google.com

Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 2:53 PM

Quote:

I didn't know the Independent Order of Foresters had a Tubercular Sanatorium in Lopez Canyon. (about 25 miles north of downtown Los Angeles)

eBay

I was hoping to find some ruins up in Lopez Canyon, but without a specific address it's like searching for a needle in a haystack.
I found this 1937 picture which I've enlarged slightly.
The organization opens Foresters Haven, its first home for needy elderly members on the site of the Lopez Canyon Tuberculosis Sanitorium in California.

www.foresters.com

I'm wondering whether this is the old sanitorium on a 1953 image from Historic Aerials. The 1952 and 1954 images are both very similar, but a couple of the buildings around the semicircle are missing by 1964. The semicircle has gone completely by 1972, and the remaining buildings by 1978.

Historic Aerials

Here's roughly the same area today. The buildings, many of which date back to at least 1972, now belong to Hope Gardens, a family center for women and children run by Union Rescue Mission.

Google Maps

Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 5:39 PM

You found it! I must have driven up and down that canyon for an hour. (in the google-mobile that is )
I was hoping at least one of the cabins had been saved. They look like they could be moved easily. maybe they ended up on a different property.

Great post on the Lone Star Film Corporation/Metro tovanger2. Excellent research. -I had heard of Mutual, but wasn't aware of Lone Star until your post.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 22, 2015 at 5:59 PM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post

Looking north at the woolen mill, 1876. I've enlarged the photo a bit, but it's still very hard to make out the
few houses in the upper right corner:

UCLA -- http://lit250v.library.ucla.edu/isla.../laviews%3A142
Wow 1876!! Thanks for 'unearthing' this photograph Flyingwedge.

So how does a woolen mill work? Why did it need that high 'trestle' leading to the roof of the building-

_

Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 6:03 PM

Here's a collection of Julius Shulman's twilight shots from 1967. BifRayRock posted a couple of the later ones in post #31212 back in September, but I'm including them again for completeness. This is "Job 4161: Los Angeles twilight, 1967". A note in the summary says "For Pan American Airlines." I'm guessing that the first three were taken from the Occidental Life Building.
NB. I cropped a lot of sky from the first two images to change them from portrait to landscape.

The California Medical Building (red neon, left of center near the bottom of the picture) was at 1401 S Grand Avenue. I think the brightly lit street on the right is W Washington Boulevard - it looks more like a runway.

Mr Shulman then moved to City Hall for these photos. The first seven are all looking in roughly the same direction.

I couldn't resist a detail view from the picture above showing the Richfield Building, Hilton, Douglas Oil, Signal Oil & Gas and the Hotel Commodore.

Back to the full images.

A slight change of angle for this last shot. The fully illuminated DWP Building is quite a contrast to the much darker Hall of Records.

All from Getty Research Institute

Old Posted Nov 22, 2015, 6:11 PM

Wow Hoss. That last shot is outstanding with the Paseo de los Pobladores lit up like a Christmas tree. The old Hall of Records looks positively ominous and the current Hall of Records never looked better. Beautiful.

Last edited by tovangar2; Nov 24, 2015 at 4:54 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos