HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 4:59 PM

Seattle's looking awesome. I remember visiting both Seattle and Vancouver in the 1980s and couldn't understand why residential development was so significant in Vancouver but not in Seattle. It's great to see how significantly things have changed throughout central Seattle.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
So many amazing photos on this page alone. Tucumán looks interesting. I hadn't heard about that place before.

Nota completa (La Gaceta)

Twitter: https://twitter.com/AstroMarshburn

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 8:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
Seattle's looking awesome. I remember visiting both Seattle and Vancouver in the 1980s and couldn't understand why residential development was so significant in Vancouver but not in Seattle. It's great to see how significantly things have changed throughout central Seattle.
I personally feel Seattle looks more dense in these pictures based on angles they were shot than how the city really looks in person. Seattle has progressed a lot since the 1980's and there are many projects currently in the pipeline where it will look even denser, but Seattle has a long way to go to catch Vancouver with residential development within its urban core.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
I personally feel Seattle looks more dense in these pictures based on angles they were shot than how the city really looks in person. Seattle has progressed a lot since the 1980's and there are many projects currently in the pipeline where it will look even denser, but Seattle has a long way to go to catch Vancouver with residential development within its urban core.
I think I will like how Seattle's city center turns out over all though. Having a core of tall office towers along with older mid-rise heritage buildings and some glassy residentials will make it a more multi-purpose live/work downtown--not to mention much more architecturally varied than Vancouver. I'd rather start with Seattle's bones and add to it with residentials than having an almost completely residential core ala Vancouver.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 12:18 AM
good time not a long time

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
I purposely posted pictures of what's left of central Seattle's underused (i.e. 1 stories/warehouses/parking lots, to show some of the places with much more potential. They are disappearing quite fast and as mhays likes to say, it will take a couple more booms to make them all disappear. Compared to 10 years ago, SLU is insanely better.

That being said, Seattle has some truly dense neighborhoods, several 40k+ and 50+ plus ppl/sqm. You can take significant sections of Capitol Hill and Pike/Pine and place it in San Francisco without a noticeable dropoff in urbanism. Of course, Seattle will never have the vastness of San Francisco's version of it nor have SF's highest densities, zoning will largely not permit it from what I've seen, but Seattle should have several nodes of typical SF like midrise density. Plus a few significant highrise residential sections in Belltown, Denny Triangle, First Hill, and even more in the DT core.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 1:56 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminyCricket II View Post
That being said, Seattle has some truly dense neighborhoods, several 40k+ and 50+ plus ppl/sqm.
I can only find two Seattle Census tracts with population densities in excess of 40,000 ppsm--both in Capitol Hill.

Quote:
You can take significant sections of Capitol Hill and Pike/Pine and place it in San Francisco without a noticeable dropoff in urbanism. Of course, Seattle will never have the vastness of San Francisco's version of it nor have SF's highest densities, zoning will largely not permit it from what I've seen, but Seattle should have several nodes of typical SF like midrise density. Plus a few significant highrise residential sections in Belltown, Denny Triangle, First Hill, and even more in the DT core.
San Francisco is probably a poor comparison point for Seattle as it densifies.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
I can only find two Seattle Census tracts with population densities in excess of 40,000 ppsm--both in Capitol Hill.
I thought the U District had a some too and Belltown maybe, I don't know how the census tracts are aligned in that neighborhood, but it has to have several blocks worth of 40k ppsm.

Quote:
San Francisco is probably a poor comparison point for Seattle as it densifies.
As a whole I definitely agree. What I was trying to say - for certain districts in central Seattle, San Francisco has some good targets to aim for given Seattle's similar height restrictions outside of its main DT core, and in some cases (like certain area's of Capitol Hill) they are getting there I was in Seattle two weeks ago, Pike/Pine corridor has become as good of a midrise district as a few areas around SF. Vancouver is probably a better comparison for the high rise neighborhoods, but Seattle's still needs some work.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 4:18 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminyCricket II View Post
I thought the U District had a some too and Belltown maybe, I don't know how the census tracts are aligned in that neighborhood, but it has to have several blocks worth of 40k ppsm.
The U District has one tract at 33,763 ppsm. Belltown has tracts at 29,311 and 34,068 ppsm. Those are solid densities--there's nothing magic about an arbitrary 40k ppsm threshold--but it's best to know and stick with the actual density stats.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 4:31 AM

Thanks for the link.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 6:05 AM
Never Dell

The U District used to have a tract over 40,000. If you zoned into the blocks, that was mostly due to Greek Row. In the last census, they reduced that tract quite a bit. Meanwhile they added to the main campus tract despite a lack of housing construction (the tsunami of new dorms hit after 4/1/10). It appears to be a different method of counting non-permanent housing.

The other tract that lost substantially was the Downtown area that includes the King County Jail. Same thing presumably.

True, the angle of the photos makes us look denser than it seems on the ground. Plenty more room to grow. But as the photos suggest, the rate of change is enormous in some neighborhoods. Even 2011-2014 is a big change, and 2011-2016 based on projects now underway is getting to be epic. Starting with the 11,000+ added housing units in a greater Downtown area of maybe 2,500 acres.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 2:55 PM

So how do I post Flickr photos anyway (understanding that they need to be sourced properly)?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 3:00 PM

Here's London:

From the Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/money/201...ties-fall-2013

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 3:05 PM

City of Bath (Somerset):

With some of the surroundings:

Source: https://madisonoakley.wordpress.com/2011/01/

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 3:34 PM

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 2:48 PM

Resistencia, Argentina

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 3:30 AM
FUS RO DAH!

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 11:49 AM
Oak City

Charlotte:

Source

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 1:30 PM

Last edited by Tucumanisfuture; May 20, 2014 at 4:06 PM.

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 4:00 PM
Back from the dead

I'm sorry but some of you seriously need to remember that we're not all familiar with every city on Earth. As such, could you PLEASE at least name the city you're posting pictures of ? It drives me crazy when I'm looking at a great picture but can't figure out where it is.

This is a general comment, not intended for any specific poster.

Old Posted May 20, 2014, 5:08 PM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
I'm sorry but some of you seriously need to remember that we're not all familiar with every city on Earth. As such, could you PLEASE at least name the city you're posting pictures of ? It drives me crazy when I'm looking at a great picture but can't figure out where it is.

This is a general comment, not intended for any specific poster.
is there any photo (in this page at least) which is not labelled as from being from a particular city?

well, since you did not mention who you are talking about, maybe it´s directed to my post... all the 4 photos were of the same city, Porto Alegre.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos