HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 31, 2016, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
Air Canada switched equipment on the Toronto route from a CRJ-900 to an E170.
That's weird because I don't see either of those aircraft types on Air Canada's fleet page

When they inaugurated service last year it was using a CRJ-705 with a capacity of 75.

They also utilize an E-175 with a capacity of 73 and an E-190 with a capacity of 97.

In June AC carried an average of 63 passengers per flight, in July it was 60, i August it was 53, and in September it was 62. (This is assuming 1 roundtrip daily with no cancellations.)

Old Posted Oct 31, 2016, 1:31 PM
I am so smart, S-M-R-T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
When they inaugurated service last year it was using a CRJ-705 with a capacity of 75.
I'm not sure if any other airline uses this configuration, but the CRJ-705 is technically a CRJ-900 with fewer seats - often done to work around scope clauses in pilot union contracts.

According to this article anyway, AC is converting all CRJ-705's to their "normal density" CRJ-900 configuration.

Hope that helps clarify any confusion...

Old Posted Oct 31, 2016, 3:59 PM

[q

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 7:08 PM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 1:29 AM

Thanks.

Looks like Flightaware uses E-170 for both the E-170 and E-175.
From the link you posted:

Aircraft Embraer 170/175 (twin-jet) (E170 – photos)

So I went to Air Canada and booked a dummy reservation and for the nonstop it shows:

17:25 AUS - Arrival at Toronto at 21:36 21:36 YYZ
E175 | Wi-FiWi-Fi | View seats.

So I guess this is a slight downguage from 75 to 73 seats. Makes sense based on the average number of passengers per flight the past several months.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 6:49 AM

Wow - it doesn't look like Volaris' flight to Guadalajara is doing very well.

From the inaugural press release

Quote:
Flights operate on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays on a 179-seat,* A-320 aircraft.
The flight started Sunday, August 7th, so there were 26 total flights (13 roundtrips) in August. 4,654 total available seats/2,030 total passengers. That's an average of 78 passengers per flight or a load factor of 43.6%

September also had 26 total flights (13 roundtrips.)

4,654 total available seats/1,646 total passengers. That's an average of 63 passengers per flight or a load factor of 35.4%

* The seat map at SeatGuru.com only shows 174 seats, so I don't know if the ABIA press release is right or not, but regardless, the numbers don't look very good.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
Wow - it doesn't look like Volaris' flight to Guadalajara is doing very well.

From the inaugural press release

The flight started Sunday, August 7th, so there were 26 total flights (13 roundtrips) in August. 4,654 total available seats/2,030 total passengers. That's an average of 78 passengers per flight or a load factor of 43.6%

September also had 26 total flights (13 roundtrips.)

4,654 total available seats/1,646 total passengers. That's an average of 63 passengers per flight or a load factor of 35.4%

* The seat map at SeatGuru.com only shows 174 seats, so I don't know if the ABIA press release is right or not, but regardless, the numbers don't look very good.
180 seats sure is a lot for such a route though. Fly with something half that size and the load factor becomes 70%, which is not bad. Too bad they can't.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleC View Post
180 seats sure is a lot for such a route though. Fly with something half that size and the load factor becomes 70%, which is not bad. Too bad they can't.
I agree. That is too much aircraft for the route. A smaller regional jet could make a profit easily with those load factors.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2016, 5:37 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
That's great to hear regarding Condor, I hope it happens. Shows we have a strong demand for flights to Europe.

It's not much of an upgauge from Air Canada but at least it's something.

By Alliegiant possibly moving some operations here, would that mean that they are considering making Austin a secondary hub???
I think there entire operation is moving to the south terminal so I'm not sure since they will only have 1 of 3 gates. Maybe they keep a gate in the north terminal.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2016, 6:41 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Okay thanks for the clarification.

So the Air Canada change is actually a small downgrade.

Interesting about Volaris but dissapointed to hear.

Doesn't seem like demand is strong to either Canada or Mexico from Austin (though I assume the flights to the beach resorts do well). That tells us a little about the economic ties as much as it does about leisure travel.

There are probably other factors as to why those particular routes are struggling. Maybe it's cheaper for people to transfer at a hub? The Guadalajara route is still fairly new and did not have as much time between the announcement and first flight so maybe there will be improvement.

As far as the European routes, it's important not to forget that they are also pulling in people regionally, not just the metro. British Airways is likely bringing in travelers from San Antonio to Killeen, possibly Waco as well as up to 100 miles east and west of Austin. Condor's only Texas route is Austin which is likely bringing in some people from around the state. Those numbers are probably small in the grand scheme of things but they do play a role in how successful those routes are.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2016, 3:29 PM

Southwest announces Austin-Kansas City nonstop

Quote:
Southwest Airlines has announced new daily nonstop service between Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS) and Kansas City International Airport (MCI). The Austin-Kansas City flights will begin March 13, 2017 and are currently available for booking at southwest.com .

“This better connects the innovative businesses of both our growing cities,” said Jim Smith, Executive Director of Austin-Bergstrom International Airport. “Plus, our barbeque and blues scenes just got closer.”

Southwest’s new, daily nonstop flights between Austin, Texas and Kansas City, Missouri are scheduled as follows: Flights depart - Austin daily at 11:40 a.m. and arrive in Kansas City at 1:40 p.m. Flights depart Kansas City daily at 2:10 p.m. and arrive in Austin at 4:10 p.m.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2016, 5:56 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
...British Airways is likely bringing in travelers from San Antonio to Killeen, possibly Waco as well as up to 100 miles east and west of Austin. Condor's only Texas route is Austin which is likely bringing in some people from around the state. Those numbers are probably small in the grand scheme of things but they do play a role in how successful those routes are.
Pulling from SA to Temple/Killeen area and points west is far more plausible than "100 miles east." I would imagine those living "100 miles east" would have more of deal flying through Houston (or even DFW) to either LHR or FRA.

With regard to Condor pulling from the entire state...don't think so. There is no reason for a person from Amarillo to fly to Austin for a flight to Frankfurt when they could find a better deal flying through DFW. And the same goes for someone living in deep SE Texas (IAH would be more desirable).

Additionally, both IAH and DFW have multiple daily flights to Frankfurt. AUS only has two per week during the summer (for now).

Old Posted Nov 11, 2016, 6:17 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Pulling from SA to Temple/Killeen area and points west is far more plausible than "100 miles east." I would imagine those living "100 miles east" would have more of deal flying through Houston (or even DFW) to either LHR or FRA.

With regard to Condor pulling from the entire state...don't think so. There is no reason for a person from Amarillo to fly to Austin for a flight to Frankfurt when they could find a better deal flying through DFW. And the same goes for someone living in deep SE Texas (IAH would be more desirable).

Additionally, both IAH and DFW have multiple daily flights to Frankfurt. AUS only has two per week during the summer (for now).
I mentioned up to a 100 miles east only because of ABIA's location being easily accessible from east and have heard that people out in areas like La Grange and Giddings frequently choose ABIA over driving through Houston gridlock if they can help it.

As far as Condor, that's true that people from the Panhandle would likely not be pulled in, but citing a KXAN news story when the first flight arrived, there was an interview from passengers who came from the Dallas area to fly Condor. That stuck out to me because it indicates people are willing to fly here if it's cheaper. As I stated, the percentage is not very great but there are at least some people being pulled even from areas like DFW.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2016, 10:05 PM

Speaking of which, they started on the new 9 gate expansion project.

From ABIA facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/abia/videos/1185817584801411/

Old Posted Nov 12, 2016, 11:33 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Speaking of which, they started on the new 9 gate expansion project.

From ABIA facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/abia/videos/1185817584801411/
Nice! Glad to see that started.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Nice! Glad to see that started.
Same here. I flew into ABIA earlier this month and it seems like the terminals needed some improvement. I was stuck on the tarmac for about 45 mins, until the plane divert to another terminal. Sadly the one we were stuck at was broken, so with that said I'm just glad for the expansion that's taking place.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 6:56 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Same here. I flew into ABIA earlier this month and it seems like the terminals needed some improvement. I was stuck on the tarmac for about 45 mins, until the plane divert to another terminal. Sadly the one we were stuck at was broken, so with that said I'm just glad for the expansion that's taking place.
I think it safe to assume you are referring to ABIA's jetways which need improvement, correct?

The airport, currently, has only one "terminal" with 24 contact gates or jetways (plus one non-contact gate). The "South Terminal" is under redevelopment and will have three non-contact gates. And as you already are aware, the nine contact gate expansion will not be complete for a few more years. But, at least, construction is underway! Yippee!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 7:35 PM

Sort of related.

ABJ is "predicting" a recession based (in part) on ABIA activity

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...gns-cloud.html

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 10:03 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Sort of related.

ABJ is "predicting" a recession based (in part) on ABIA activity

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...gns-cloud.html
You know I was wondering the same thing. I take it the article talks about other indicators besides air traffic.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 10:34 PM

Quote:
You know I was wondering the same thing. I take it the article talks about other indicators besides air traffic.
It didn't appear to... seemed to be only a few airport based metrics. Bazaar - one would think looking at GDP, Cost of Living, Sector indexes, Hotel room utilization/rates, office space uptake, etc would be better metrics to predict booms/busts.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXboom View Post
It didn't appear to... seemed to be only a few airport based metrics. Bazaar - one would think looking at GDP, Cost of Living, Sector indexes, Hotel room utilization/rates, office space uptake, etc would be better metrics to predict booms/busts.
I rolled my eyes at the article.
That guy is always trying to find an angel.
Not being in a Boom.... does not mean a recession.
I guess if you jump on a negative bandwagon and it happens you can
say I told you so? Not useful article. Felt like , as usual, an over reaction for the sake of column space.

Oh for the need of headlines.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin