HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 2:45 PM

Chattanooga Development Thread

Hello everyone!

This is actually my first post on the forum, so maybe I should do a brief introduction. I stumbled here a few weeks ago and have enjoyed myself so far. I am from northwest Alabama but currently live in Chattanooga, in an industry that allows me to be somewhat involved in planning.

I've noticed that Chattanooga has casually been mentioned a few times in passing, but there doesn't appear to be a thread to really discuss the goings-on in the city. Is there even a need for one here? I would love to get the ball rolling as long as I will have an audience and even some contributors to help me out. Chattanooga has made tremendous strides in the last few decades as a lot of you know. We are hopefully poised for continued growth with the recent industrial developments, along with always strong tourism and a continued passion for recreating the Downtown/Southside/North Shore/etc. parts of the city.

Hope y'all will accept me as one of the gang here. Due to my love for several of the South's regions and cities, I'll probably be popping up in a few more threads.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 2:59 PM

Perhaps it's bad etiquette to post a reply to your first message, but I thought I'd post a quick Times-Free Press article to get the conversation started.

Quote:
Details on proposed North Shore Publix unclear

No member of the public has seen the designs for a proposed grocery store on the North Shore, and developers aren't sharing.

But the community will get to see the proposal for the store — assumed to be a Publix — today at a meeting of the North Shore Design Review Committee.
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2...-publix/?local

I agree that I would prefer to see an "urban" type store based on this proposed location, but it does sit on the outer fringe of the North Shore commercial area. I could easily see this turning into your run-of-the-mill Publix with a parking lot out front. There ARE some condos proposed for further up the street, so perhaps there is some potential for North Market Street to continue to grow up. Hopefully they will keep development restricted to curbside.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 3:20 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Welcome to the site Smoothcat. Every now and then I'll see some proposals from Chattanooga on here or on other sites, but never a thread that's been directly focused on Chattanooga...glad you started one.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
Welcome to the site Smoothcat. Every now and then I'll see some proposals from Chattanooga on here or on other sites, but never a thread that's been directly focused on Chattanooga...glad you started one.
Thanks, arkitekte! I moved to Chattanooga almost five years ago not really knowing what to expect. I have really learned to love the city. It has flaws, and issues that frustrate me greatly. But overall, I can imagine a lot of worse places to live. Even if there's not too many fellow Noogans on the board, perhaps I can at least stir up some good conversation.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 11:02 AM

Well this is nowhere close to the design I would have chosen for this store. Still, I suppose it could be a catalyst for more development on that end of downtown. I'll be interested in seeing if the "small amount of retail" facing North Market just means part of the Publix itself, or perhaps some small shops.

Quote:
Board approves Publix on Chattanooga’s North Shore

A planning board voted 4-1 on Thursday to tentatively approve a single-story, 230-parking space Publix on Chattanooga’s North Shore.

Overwhelming community demand for the 46,000-square-foot grocery store was enough to convince committee members to allow the large parking lot along North Market Street. The approval came despite the objections of sole holdout Brandi Hill, who said the store design was “not consistent with the rest of the district.”
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2...s-north-shore/

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 11:11 AM

This store should have probably opened downtown, instead of out at the Hamilton Place area. Not that I advocate too many chain restaurants downtown, but if the area around the Aquarium already has a Ruby Tuesday and Cheeburger x2, I don't see why Melting Pot couldn't fit in. Though they probably try to attract a higher-end demographic than most Nooga tourists.

The Waterside development continues to disappoint. In my opinion, it should have been modeled after something like Bridge Street in Huntsville.

Quote:
Melting Pot closes after three years

Chattanooga’s Melting Pot restaurant has closed after three years of operation in East Brainerd. The local fondue eatery, located at 2553 Lifestyle Way, shut down Wednesday, idling its 30-employee staff. The chain continues to operate 145 other locaations, including one in Knoxville.

"The fondue franchise hopes to have a presence in Chattanooga again in the future," Alisha dos Santos, communications manager for Front Burner Brands, said in a statement.
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2...ter-three-yea/

Old Posted Oct 1, 2012, 10:48 PM

One of the most underrated cities in the nation, imo. It's in a perfect setting with so much history and plenty to do whether it be outdoors or any kind of entertainment really. I hope it doesn't grow much bigger than it already is because it's perfect right now, imo.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim24tn View Post
One of the most underrated cities in the nation, imo. It's in a perfect setting with so much history and plenty to do whether it be outdoors or any kind of entertainment really. I hope it doesn't grow much bigger than it already is because it's perfect right now, imo.
Agreed, Tim. Before I moved here all I knew about Chattanooga was the tourist-related side of things. The city is definitely much more than that. It still has a lot of warts, but I'd like to think things continue to progress in a positive direction. I'm not interested in necessarily seeing the population grow, either. I do want to see downtown continue to boom. I'd also love to see the manufacturing sector continue to come back as we've seen already with Volkswagen and Amazon.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 11:14 AM

Well, this was published a few days ago, but as I suspected there is a vocal backlash to the planned Publix. I would love to know what's keeping the developers and/or Publix from designing a store similar to what's planned in Knoxville.

Quote:
Wrong on the North Shore

Residents of the city's North Shore and downtown neighborhoods clearly want to land a new full-service supermarket. Most seem happy that the proposed "P" store — not yet officially identified as Publix — has selected a two-block section of North Market Street opposite Manning Street for such a project. There's just one large problem so far: The P store developers don't want to observe the North Shore Plan's design guidelines that have helped make the area, and Frazier Avenue in particular, the coolest, most pedestrian-friendly place in the city.
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2...times-opinion/

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 11:17 AM

I don't know very much about solar energy, but it's good that they are putting some otherwise empty space at the airport to productive use.

Quote:
Airport lands $3 million grant to double size of its solar farm

Work will start later this month to double the size of Chattanooga Airport's solar farm after it received a $3 million federal grant Tuesday.

The FAA Airport Improvement Program grant will fund the second part of the three-phase project at the airport, said U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood in a news release.

According to the airport, phase two should be online in early 2013. While the power will go into the electrical grid, the solar farm will produce enough energy to power 250 homes a year.
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2...-double-solar/

Old Posted Oct 3, 2012, 11:03 PM
Future God

That's extremely, extremely disappointing news about the Publix. I hate when large corporations try to bully their way into a neighborhood and then refuse to bend at all to fit the aesthetics of the neighborhood itself.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Oct 4, 2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
That's extremely, extremely disappointing news about the Publix. I hate when large corporations try to bully their way into a neighborhood and then refuse to bend at all to fit the aesthetics of the neighborhood itself.
I agree. Though to play devil's advocate, I've heard some rumblings about the developer(s) not wanting to play nice either. So, perhaps all the blame shouldn't be put on Publix. Still, a simple tour of the area by company officials would probably show them that an urban-friendly store would be both preferable and doable. It's definitely disappointing.

In other "food" news, it looks like Krystal Restaurant is moving its headquarters to Atlanta after 80 years in Chattanooga. Another sad move, but something I expected after an Atlanta company bought Krystal last year. This will be a loss of some 60 jobs downtown. More from the Times Free-Press: http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2...lanta-georgia/

Also saw in the morning paper that the Piccadilly at Northgate Mall will be closing. Again, not exactly a surprise to anyone. I don't believe I've eaten at a Picadilly in over ten years. I know there will be some folks upset by the move though. Hopefully it will allow for something new to enter the market, as there is an existing Piccadilly at Hamilton Place Mall.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 6:12 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothcat View Post
I agree. Though to play devil's advocate, I've heard some rumblings about the developer(s) not wanting to play nice either. So, perhaps all the blame shouldn't be put on Publix. Still, a simple tour of the area by company officials would probably show them that an urban-friendly store would be both preferable and doable. It's definitely disappointing.
I guess I never really figured out whether or not the parking lot was in the front or the back. Which is it going to be? A large parking lot would suck, but if the store was built up to the street, it would at least still be promoting the pedestrian friendly nature of the neighborhood to some degree. But for the nicely developing street wall to go from shops built up to the street on one block, to the next store front being behind hundreds of feet of blank asphalt on the next block, would be horrible for the neighborhood.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
I guess I never really figured out whether or not the parking lot was in the front or the back. Which is it going to be? A large parking lot would suck, but if the store was built up to the street, it would at least still be promoting the pedestrian friendly nature of the neighborhood to some degree. But for the nicely developing street wall to go from shops built up to the street on one block, to the next store front being behind hundreds of feet of blank asphalt on the next block, would be horrible for the neighborhood.
From what I understand from the plans that were presented (and I unfortunately didn't attend any meetings, though I have talked to the developer about other things)... the building will be turned so that one side actually does face the street. In other words, the building will be facing north with the parking lot situated on that side (and the street running parallel to both). I suppose it's better than nothing but a sea of asphalt adjacent to the street, but to me it's the definition of a token gesture to people that wanted to see something more urban-friendly.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2012, 11:16 AM

While I'm an outdoor enthusiast, I've never attempted rock climbing. This might entice me to give it a shot one day. I'm still worried this might end up being a way-too-cheesy addition to the skyline, but I'm trying to be optimistic.

'Block' climbing: $4 million Bijou site plan caters to growing sport

"Since the Bijou Theatre closed in 2009, downtown planners have eyed a grocery store, roving exhibits and even a bowling alley to fill the space.

By next summer, the key block on Chattanooga's riverfront will hold one of the fastest growing sports nationally as it woos climbers from across the country to the central city.

The co-owner of a business planning a 55-foot-high climbing wall attached to the outside of the six-level building's parking garage said it likely be made of perforated steel, fiberglass or a cement-type material."

A Rock/Creek store is planned at the site as well. More details from the Times Free-Press: http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2...jou-site-plan/

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 1:43 PM

As far as large-scale development goes, I believe this project may be one of the biggest for Chattanooga in the near-future. We're talking about one of the most highly visible locations in the city. Yes, there's no direct interstate access, but it's not like the site is inaccessible. I have my fingers crossed that something "big" will happen. I want something out of the box that will make Chattanooga stand apart (and not a Bass Pro Shop - no offense, Memphis).

Converting shuttered US Pipe and Wheland plants to commercial, housing space

"Chattanooga's U.S. Pipe and Wheland Foundry site was once a metal city buzzing with thousands of laborers. But the cathedrals to capitalism have since turned to labyrinths of dust and rust.

Today, the ruined buildings at the throbbing Interstate 24 artery provide little aesthetic or economic value to the city, though the stories of the site's heyday still resonate for those who remember them.

Property owners now hope that a recent plan to route the Riverwalk nature trail through the site will provide the spark needed to spur development. Along with Tim McGraw's rowdy music video "Truck Yeah," which was shot on site in August, the recent signs of life have ignited interest in the long-dormant property."

Full article here: http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2...sinesstnvalley

Old Posted Nov 1, 2012, 3:54 PM

Krystal leave Chattanooga??? Never!!! How sad this is. What will you lose next, Moon Pie??

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 1:48 PM

North Shore Publix construction to begin in May

The Publix grocery store planned for Chattanooga's North Shore will open in early 2014.

This will be a great new addition to North Shore Community. North Shore/Downtown Chattanooga is falling right in line with Greenville and the redevelopment/revitilazation of an old city.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2...n-to-begin-in/

Old Posted Jul 13, 2013, 5:50 PM

Proposed Publix now going to become a mixed-use project with retail, office and condo's.

[IMG][/IMG]

http://timesfreepress.com/news/2013/...n-in-projects/

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legen..dary View Post
Proposed Publix now going to become a mixed-use project with retail, office and condo's.

http://timesfreepress.com/news/2013/...n-in-projects/
I've been away from this board for a while - thanks for posting a few articles Legen..dary.

I'm behind the Times-Free Press paywall now, but if I understand it, isn't the pictured project going to be a block north of the new Publix? I'm excited to see the continued development on that stretch of North Market, even if it's only two or three story buildings. If there is one recommendation I could make to the City, it would be to change that section of road from a narrow four-lane to maybe a three-lane with a new bike lane. Cars fly down that road (more than the 45 mph limit), which needs to be curtailed if it's going to be as walkable as Frazier Ave.

On another North Shore note, I spoke to one of the better-known developers in the City last week. Work is progressing on a building near the Cherokee Blvd/Manufacturers Road intersection to turn it into mixed use retail/apartments.

Finally... I was in Atlanta this weekend, and spent some time near Midtown/Piedmont Park, where my wife used to live. I know there are a lot of folks in Chattanooga that don't "want to be another Atlanta", but I am quite envious of some of their neighborhoods. We hit up a bar in the Virginia Highlands area on Saturday night, and I couldn't help but wish more of the outlying Nooga neighborhoods could re-develop a nightlife similar to that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast