HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 2:37 AM

BigBird, thanks for the reply and info. I knew about the Chilis. I live on the west side and I'm really thnkful for the new Office Depot next to that Lowes (Mobile Hwy & Fairfield). I hated having to go to Cordova area every time I needed some office supplies. Did you realize that was there now? Also, theres the Lowes being built at Sorrento/Blue Angel. I'm sure that will bring along a lot of out parcel development. I think they are already committed to another Chilis further west on Sorrento.

I don't know much about the Airport development. I drive thru there infrequently. But the Rooms To Go on the corner of Davis is a pretty darned nice addition.

In other news, the PNJ (but article not online I guess) had a story mentioning the "secret" thing that was talking about coming to the port (as I mentioned above)....it has died. It was a company in Atlanta that makes solar panels. They decided Pensacola wasn't for them I guess. The story then mentioned some other "super secret" negotiations with some F500 company negotiating a possible major project. But no details given up by anyone. Hope its serious...we need a win on something positive soon. Finally the same article talked some more about University Mall's demise. Apparently Simon owned another mall named University Mall in Little Rock where they let the same thing happen. It became so bad they were actually sued and ordered to spend $3mill fixing it up (but it was later demolished anyway). Could this be heading the same direction?

And for the final depressing news....The Maritime Park article for today talked about how much the costs have skyrocketed during all this time doing nothing (like no duh!!!!). So now the money originally considered probably only buys a couple of benches. Need some good news around here.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 12:56 PM

Yeah I did see the Office Depot. I didn't mention it because I didn't think it was as big of a deal, but I guess you're right in that it is the only one on that side of town. So that's good news. Man I hope they just get started with the park already. Every time I drive through downtown I dream about all of the huge potential that it has. Right now downtown is on the verge of a complete makeover, and could transform into a really nice place. If the park gets built, think about a water front baseball park and the money that would bring in. It would be like a mini-me of the Giants park in San Fran. Once the sewer plant is out, that will make room for a much more attractive development. If you are right and something big happens with the port, that would be amazing. And finally, if those condo's that are proposed are ever built, it will change Pensacola's skyline completely. Now we just need some competent people who can get it done.

I know that there's not much to be excited about in Pensacola, at least not compared to other cities. But just look at some of the improvements that have taken place over the last three years since I moved here.

Target: 2 locations to 4.
Chili's: 1 location to 4
Starbucks: 1 location to 12 (I think)
Lowes: 2 locations to 5
Home Depot: 1 location to 4
Rave Theaters: 1 location to 2
New Stuff in Pensacola: Kohl's, Macaroni Grill, Moe's (2), Staples, Publix (2),and I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting.
*I'm counting Gulf Breeze and Milton

I know this is just a list of chain retailers and restaurants, and they aren't big F500 companies or anything. But that is quite a bit of new stuff to go in when you consider that it has only been three years and if you consider the size of the area. So it's not huge news, but it is a sign of growth and improvement. And what I like most about these developments, is that many of them take place in established areas. In other words, these places go in as infill before they are built as huge sprawling suburban shopping centers like you see in many other cities. So no big news, but plenty of little news.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 3:02 PM
Closed account

Pensacola got a Publix? I always wanted one when I lived there.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Tim) View Post
Pensacola got a Publix? I always wanted one when I lived there.
Well, Pensacola didn't.... They just opened one in Gulf Breeze, and they're building one in Pace.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 4:05 PM

^ There is also a Publix in Navarre, which opened about 1 1/2 years ago..

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 4:28 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvcrew22 View Post
^ There is also a Publix in Navarre, which opened about 1 1/2 years ago..
I saw that one, it is nice.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 6:47 PM

Some good timing on this.. Just annouced that Publix will purchase 49 Florida stores from Albertson's.

This means that 4 Albertson's in Pensacola will be remodeled and become Publix.

http://pnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...EWS01/80609013

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 7:03 PM
Closed account

Wow

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 7:09 PM

Ha, that is funny timing. Hope they keep 'em all open. One would only be a few blocks from me. I was just griping about Publix skipping over P'cola the other day. Now my question is....aren't they going to need a distribution center somehwere in this greater area to serve a new region (for them) with as many stores as they suddenly will operate? Or does Albertson's have something out there they will just take over?

BigBird...relocating here 3 years ago...that puts you here just after Ivan right? I guess you did get quite an impression of "ugly"....not saying it was great before...but a new level of ugly. But yeah, it's nice to see a lot of places clean up and change well.

....EDIT...just checked online and the nearest Albertson's distribution center is in Plant City, FL. That may be good news for the area in the long term?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2008, 7:57 PM

Huh, looks like the Albertson's by my house will soon be a Publix.

Muskavon- Yes, we moved here exactly one month after Ivan. So it was super bad when got here. It looked like a war zone. But that's cool news about the Publixes... Publixs.... Publi....? Whatever. I guess it doesn't make a difference to me yet, considering I've never been in one of their stores. But from what I've heard, they are pretty nice.

The thing that amazes me about the growth in Pensacola since I've moved here is the number of Starbucks. I don't even like the place, but dang. To go from 1 to 12 in three years, within a space of two counties, is pretty insane.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2008, 6:12 PM

Some news on University Mall

Good or bad, some news soon on future of University Mall
Carlton Proctor • June 15, 2008

Over the past few weeks I've heard continuously from numerous readers, tenants and store managers about University Mall's neglect, and the impact it's having on the businesses there.

It seems their outspoken concern and indignation may finally be having an effect on Simon Property Group, which owns and manages the property.

Last week, University Mall merchants were visited by Rebecca Scoggins, a Simon vice president, who told merchants they would receive a memo within the next 30 days detailing the company's plans for the mall.

Conference call

And on Friday, I received a call from Les Morris, Simon's manager for corporate public relations, who said the company's near-term plans would be discussed Monday during a conference call with Simon Properties Group's Scott Richardson.

Richardson was the Simon executive who made the original announcement here in March 2007 that Simon would spend millions on a major renovation that was to start late last year.

To date those plans have been on hold, and there is no start date in sight.

Meanwhile, more current and former mall merchants are speaking out about their experiences with Simon Property Group.

Letter from ex-tenant

A letter sent to me last week by former mall tenant Sharon Kubik was especially poignant and telling.

Here are some excerpts:

"I have been reading your articles and I feel the pain of this mall day in and day out. I am currently in the process of moving my shop(s) out of University Mall to Tradewinds Shopping Center.

"The problem is not my product, everyone loves cookies and ice cream. The problem is University Mall.

"Every day, we hear from customers comments like, 'When is this mall going to be done?' 'Why is taking so long?' 'We didn't know this mall was still open.'

"And my favorite one: 'I thought that it was all construction crews parked out front.'

Starting over

"Well, you have heard all of those comments I am sure. I am sending you this letter so that perhaps something else will be done with this mall. I am leaving and I am sure that my business will be much more successful in the new place.

"The only problem is starting over. This was not my idea to have to close my shops and move them. Financially and emotionally as an owner it has and is taking a toll on me, but I feel like it is my only recourse.

"The uncertainty of this mall remains to be seen. I just felt that I needed to put my 2 cents in as an owner of the real life at University Mall."

To all those who care about the mall's future, and the viability of the remaining stores there, including the independently owned JC Penney, Sears and Belk, stay tuned; news is on the way.

Will it be good? Or bad?

We'll soon see.

http://www.pnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...806150318/1003

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 4:37 PM

Some good news about University Mall, hopefully it's going to happen this time.

Mall's makeover set
Carlton Proctor • cproctor@pnj.com • June 17, 2008

Fifteen months after announcing plans for a makeover of University Mall, Simon Property Management is now targeting a January 2009 start date for construction and reopening in the spring of 2010.

Simon spokesman Scott Richardson said the company will submit an application to Escambia County for redevelopment of the 34-year-old Davis Highway mall within 30 days.

Preliminary plans call for a 200,000-square-foot lifestyle center to be built around an open-air lake.

"We had extremely successful discussions with the tenant community at this year's Spring Shopping Center Convention in Las Vegas," Richardson said. "And since then we've had extensive meetings, and have been getting strong demand from the big box stores, and the restaurant and retail communities."

When Richardson first announced the makeover in March 2007, he said construction could begin by the following fall and be completed by late 2008 or early 2009. He acknowledged the long delay has caused "a lot of people to be concerned.''

"But this is something that we absolutely believe in," he said.

The news of Simon's plans comes on the heels of a spate of complaints from mall merchants and customers about slow progress.

J.C. Penney store manager John Phelps said he's hopeful.

"Maybe things are not moving as fast as others would have wished, but we're not hearing anything that would indicate they are not moving forward with their plans."

Richardson said mall tenants will have to vacate their stores to make way for construction.

"A lot of things will have to happen before we can bring in the wrecking ball," Richardson said.

http://www.pnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../1003/BUSINESS

Here's a picture I found online from when they first annouced the rebuilding last year.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 7:46 PM
Closed account

Looks very nice.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 2:54 PM

Wow, that looks super good. I hope it actualy happens this time, it will transform that whole area of town.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 3:23 PM
Closed account

I would say so, Pensacola needs this bad.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 12:56 AM

That looks more engaging than either Eastern Shore Centre or Legacy Village.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 1:55 AM

I sure hope they are serious about the mall. I also hope a lot of these types of plans aren't relying on the thought that certain large projects in the greater area (cough...tanker..cough) are going to bring future shoppers with spending cash. Not that I'm giving up all hope on that, just concerned that it could be a long-term reason to have confidence in spending the money to do this....although the other option is to let it completely die, which doesn't make a lot of sense.

Comparing that rendering to a satellite map, it appears the existing anchor Sears, Belks and Penney's (and Sears automotive center) would get a new facade while the rest is razed and reworked. Maybe the hodgepodge of stuff that surrounds it would follow suit remodeling if this is successful.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 1:45 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitekKetin View Post
That looks more engaging than either Eastern Shore Centre or Legacy Village.
Your depressing! Sorry

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskavon View Post

Comparing that rendering to a satellite map, it appears the existing anchor Sears, Belks and Penney's (and Sears automotive center) would get a new facade while the rest is razed and reworked. Maybe the hodgepodge of stuff that surrounds it would follow suit remodeling if this is successful.
The three anchors look almost unrecognizable. Especially with the new entrances. I actually think that the hodgepodge of stuff around it already has been one step ahead of the mall. With the new improvements on Davis, 10, and 110, everything looks way less cluttered and unorganized. But either way, that area is going to look nice when it is done! But unfortunately, it's supposed to be completed in 2010. And by then, I'll be off to college somewhere other than P'cola.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskavon View Post
although the other option is to let it completely die, which doesn't make a lot of sense.
For Pensacola's sake I hope it does not go that far. Those of us in Montgomery know what happens when a mall is allowed to slowly die and how the decline of the accompanying area can devastate a portion of the city. The area adjacent to the Montgomery Mall in the southern part of our city is evidence of this...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast