HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
Lordy that's Middle Earth right there. That's just so cute. It's interesting to see the progression of style sourced from what was once functional rural farmhouses in a damp climate. Is that housing commonplace in Philly? In London individually designed houses are rare except for the very rich (as opposed to blanket rowhomes and semis).

Interesting note: large chimneys became a sign of wealth, showing you had enough money to have fireplaces in every room. By Tudor times the palaces were festooned with ornate forests of chimneys on their roofs.
Somewhat common of a style found in certain Pittsburgh neighborhoods where Tudor/Tudor-ish designs were popular. Squirrel Hill has a number of examples with very steep rooflines, that mixed-up brick pattern, and tall, prominent chimneys.

I've always liked this mushroom house in particular:

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 9:13 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
There are so many parts of KC that look like other cities in the Midwest (and some Northeast) I'm not sure there's much point in pointing them out.

[/url]
columbus park (once the kc little italy) in kc feels a lot like little italy cleveland....

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5094...mkMO2e0IWQ!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1087...3ze7ZxMgLw!2e0

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
There are so many parts of KC that look like other cities in the Midwest (and some Northeast) I'm not sure there's much point in pointing them out.
Same with Phoenix and other Sunbelt cities. But there is a nice kinship between Phoenix and El Paso, both of which have similar looking art deco towers by the same architecture firm, Trost & Trost.

Phoenix's Luhrs Tower:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4471...7i16384!8i8192

El Paso's O.T. Bassett Tower:

https://www.google.com/maps/@31.7594...Q4ihQqtmBA!2e0

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 9:29 PM

the plaza in kc feels like a jumbo version of neighborhoods built across the southern plains in cities like dallas as well as a sibling to westwood village in los angeles and even beverly hills to an extent...spain? eh...

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 10:20 PM
cities|transit|croissants

This isn't the best picture, but this DC block always makes me think of New York. The midrises are very DC, but the smaller buildings' shapes, billboards, windows, awnings, and fire escapes look a lot like NY. Brick color is too light, but otherwise:

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
This isn't the best picture, but this DC block always makes me think of New York. The midrises are very DC, but the smaller buildings' shapes, billboards, windows, awnings, and fire escapes look a lot like NY. Brick color is too light, but otherwise:

kind of, like it's been bite-sized or something.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 8:51 AM
if I sang out of tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Somewhat common of a style found in certain Pittsburgh neighborhoods where Tudor/Tudor-ish designs were popular. Squirrel Hill has a number of examples with very steep rooflines, that mixed-up brick pattern, and tall, prominent chimneys.

I've always liked this mushroom house in particular:

Whoa, that could be straight out of Surrey, even the vegetation (red plum/ ash, ivy, small topiary bushes in the garden with stone containers) and car. Is that real thatch?

*Edit can see it properly now, that tiling's something new for me.

If ever I'm in that neighbourhood I'm just going to go up and ring the bell and ask very politely if I can live there.

Last edited by muppet; Mar 8, 2018 at 9:08 AM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 8:57 AM
if I sang out of tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
These houses are actually from Pittsburgh (where I live) not Philly. You don't see much detached housing in Philly at all except in neighborhoods at the far fringes of the city.

Given the neighborhood it is in, it was probably initially built for an upper-middle class person, but not someone truly wealthy. It's not far away from one of the last surviving undivided mansion estates still used as a single-family house however.

This is recognisably American, especially the roof and veranda, though the left hand extension does look straight out of a Yorkshire mining town. You don't see houses like that in the UK - in short a good example of emerging homegrown styles back in the day, starting to detach from the 'mother' continent.

Those towers and gables remind me of your typical American 'horror' house, like in the movies.

Last edited by muppet; Mar 8, 2018 at 9:14 AM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:01 PM

Quote:
*Edit can see it properly now, that tiling's something new for me.
Not tiling. Some sort of asphalt shingle which looks like thatch from a distance. Asphalt shingles are the standard cheap roofing material these days, but they tend to be textured to look like different things on the higher end. Most for try to look more like cedar shakes, which bothers me because that was never a major part of the building vernacular in a lot of the U.S. If I'm getting a fake shingle on my roof I want it to look like slate darnit!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 8:32 PM
if I sang out of tune

Do you guys get these classy style of fake stonework? Big hit in UK during the 80s, but still going strong in certain heathen pockets of the kingdom.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 9:37 PM
sick transit, gloria

^Similar fake stonework seemed to have been pretty popular in parts of Toronto during that time too. Predominantly in the west end and and more specifically in (formerly) working class Portugese areas. Sometimes it was just a woodframe house where they changed the cladding but in other cases they legitimately covered up good brick. New renos usually revert to brick.

Some examples - I literally just put streetview down in areas I know it's common and found stuff...

https://goo.gl/maps/cbNMGnDEtxj
https://goo.gl/maps/X3hf2eAGsBH2
https://goo.gl/maps/AaE5g4CmYuS2
https://goo.gl/maps/EWEhanf9ku82
https://goo.gl/maps/Tm2n5FbrHKQ2
https://goo.gl/maps/Drmu8mmgpkQ2

I've definitely seen in in pictures of rowhouse areas in the US too. Again in ones that looked more working class.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Do you guys get these classy style of fake stonework? Big hit in UK during the 80s, but still going strong in certain heathen pockets of the kingdom.

Oh yeah... lots of rowhouse neighborhoods in Pittsburgh feature examples of this gorgeous 'stonework'. Not sure I've seen that lovely blue stone though.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 11:04 PM

Quote:

By heck as like! Is that Jack & Vera's house?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 11:57 PM

Quote:

permastone? yeah, 1950s! usually not blue, though...

it was often sold as a veneer for much older homes, or used on new homes.

here it is covering the entire front of a house in my town, even the mansard...

dynamic.stlouis-mo.gov

i guess maybe new homes, like tacky mcmansions still use a similar product in the u.s.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 1:56 AM

[IMG]Mayfair Lane, 1928 by David Schalliol, on Flickr[/IMG]

Mayfair Lane, located between the Allentown and Elmwood Village neighborhoods in Buffalo, NY. Several homes built 90 years ago, connected by an elevated courtyard, and modeled after an English country village. There is even a "castle" at one end of the lane, connected by a drawbridge.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 1:33 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by benp View Post
Mayfair Lane, located between the Allentown and Elmwood Village neighborhoods in Buffalo, NY. Several homes built 90 years ago, connected by an elevated courtyard, and modeled after an English country village. There is even a "castle" at one end of the lane, connected by a drawbridge.
But you have to admit... It's the Japanese lanterns that really give it that English village feel.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
These houses are actually from Pittsburgh (where I live) not Philly. You don't see much detached housing in Philly at all except in neighborhoods at the far fringes of the city.

Given the neighborhood it is in, it was probably initially built for an upper-middle class person, but not someone truly wealthy. It's not far away from one of the last surviving undivided mansion estates still used as a single-family house however.

What style would you call that? It instantly stood out to me as quite similar to many that I've seen across small towns in Southern Ontario.

Kincardine:

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 7:15 PM
if I sang out of tune

Those stone fakery facades don't look that bad compared to the ones in the UK. Probably because they're usually used among identical historic rowhomes over here, and thus disfigure the rest of the terrace (plus everyone knows it's fake).

Last edited by muppet; Mar 26, 2018 at 6:57 PM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 1:43 PM

There is a random block of Baltimore Style row houses in Atlanta called "Baltimore Block," It's pretty cool. It mainly is for retail space now. I know there was a project a few years ago to expand it, but I haven't heard of it since then. Here are some pics. It's rather tiny, but still cool.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2018, 2:37 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Not sure if it counts but this old pic of San Francisco makes it look like a Vienna or Central European capital near the Alps.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/465559680205700362/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions