HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
They also think and operate like a tech company rather than a traditional car company. Kinda like Amazon with it being more like a tech company than a giant retailer.
Because tech companies don’t advertise?

Once they are scaled enough to want to acquire customers, rather than struggling to meet demand, I see Tesla rolling out some very Apple-esque advertising.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Even cities are built around a controlled way. Like sf, ny and dc. They arnt built like they are because it works, it’s built around sacred geometry.

The Vomit Bag.

Some serious trolling is happening, by the clone of MK.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 5:21 PM

I could have shortened that up and had it in one post because I didn’t want to stand out but that didn’t work. I still don’t know who ma is lol

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 5:39 PM
The Vomit Bag.

giphy

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 5:48 PM

I know this forum isn’t conspiracy friendly. But I always end up talking about it

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 5:50 PM
Dryer lint inspector

^ This forum isn't just unfriendly regarding conspiracy theories. It's not allowed. We will delete posts about that nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Because tech companies don’t advertise?

Once they are scaled enough to want to acquire customers, rather than struggling to meet demand, I see Tesla rolling out some very Apple-esque advertising.
Didn't say that but you pretty much made my point about their marketing strategy. Apple has an ad here and there but nothing crazy. I don't think they will advertise like a typical car company; no Tesla-thons and obnoxious dealers with balloons.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 6:01 PM

Good I don’t want to be a black sheep ha

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Because of cost. It’s really just price per square foot.
Which would favor countries with powerful central governments in my opinion.

Quote:
And American cities don’t build enough public parks, which obviate the need for personal “backyards” (themselves not really a thing in most of the world).
Right, it is a thing in America; I would imagine that won’t go away with more public parks.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Because of cost. It’s really just price per square foot.

And American cities don’t build enough public parks, which obviate the need for personal “backyards” (themselves not really a thing in most of the world).
It is not the lack of public parks that makes Americans want private outdoor spaces. Here is an aerial of a bit of Golden Gate Park showing the private back yards, occupying the center of blocks, in nearly all the homes adjacent to this huge park.

https://aerialarchives.photoshelter....000S.PJ8oAlvPQ

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubu View Post
Even cities are built around a controlled way. Like sf, ny and dc. They arnt built like they are because it works, it’s built around sacred geometry.
SF is built around mother Nature's dictum: a natural harbor and land boundaries of the Bay and Pacific Ocean. On the one side (out of 4) where an artificial boundary was drawn, it was considered the extent of settlement at the time it was drawn and is a straight line across the peninsula. There's nothing sacred about it except it made a nice, neat square.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
SF is built around mother Nature's dictum: a natural harbor and land boundaries of the Bay and Pacific Ocean. On the one side (out of 4) where an artificial boundary was drawn, it was considered the extent of settlement at the time it was drawn and is a straight line across the peninsula. There's nothing sacred about it except it made a nice, neat square.
There’s four hour videos on YouTube about sacred geometry in cities. They are a good watch. That always leads to why? Well imo I don’t really know but ya

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Didn't say that but you pretty much made my point about their marketing strategy. Apple has an ad here and there but nothing crazy. I don't think they will advertise like a typical car company; no Tesla-thons and obnoxious dealers with balloons.
No, because they’re not going to introduce that asinine dealership model that traditional car makers are stuck with.

You don’t think Ford would get rid of their dealership network and sell direct if they could? Car dealerships are a relic of another time, but they’re as stuck with them as they are with the unions.

But anyway, that’s not what I meant. I’m not talking about dealership ads on local affiliates. There are quite a lot of ads by traditional luxury carmakers, which make no mention of dealerships. They advertise the “Mercedes-Benz Sales Event”, but they aren’t telling you to come down to Bob’s Benz’s on Route 35.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
It is not the lack of public parks that makes Americans want private outdoor spaces. Here is an aerial of a bit of Golden Gate Park showing the private back yards, occupying the center of blocks, in nearly all the homes adjacent to this huge park.

https://aerialarchives.photoshelter....000S.PJ8oAlvPQ
I see tiny gardens, which is what you’ll find in Brooklyn or London or lots of other places. That’s how a city is built.

When I say “back yard”, I don’t mean a garden, I mean a huge expanse of mowed grass in a suburban neighborhood, where there is no such thing as a “commons”.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 7:20 AM

Quote:
I can see that. But there is something also to be said for a city like Sydney, where the harbor extends far inland in innumerable fingers and surrounds innumerable penninsulas and neighborhoods. The hills and rivers of Pittsburgh also make for an interesting pattern.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 7:27 AM

Call me a Neanderthal, but I will probably never ride in a self-driving car. I worry about malfunctions and software failures and hacks and need to be in control.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 7:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Call me a Neanderthal, but I will probably never ride in a self-driving car. I worry about malfunctions and software failures and hacks and need to be in control.
Do you ever take taxis or Ubers? Or ride in a car driven by a friend?

I’m with you, I’d rather be in control. My fiancée makes fun of me because I don’t even like roller coasters, but I’ll do all kinds of dangerous sports (where I’m in control).

But I’d still trust AI technology to drive me around before I’d trust her to...

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 12:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Yeah, I'd need to see it in action quite a bit before I could commit.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 6:24 PM
BANNED

Woman dies in Arizona after being hit by Uber self-driving car

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/wo...cid=spartanntp

Quote:
A woman died of her injuries after being struck by a Uber self-driving vehicle in Arizona, police said on Monday, and the ride hailing company said it had suspended its autonomous vehicle program across the United States and Canada.
The accident in Tempe, Arizona, marked the first fatality from a self-driving vehicle, which are still being tested around the globe, and could derail efforts to fast-track the introduction of the new technology in the United States.
At the time of the accident, which occurred overnight Sunday to Monday, the car was in autonomous mode with a vehicle operator behind the wheel, Tempe police said.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 7:23 PM

Good thing we still got guns, we need to protect ourselves from these driverless cars.

But dam it seems everyday someone is dying from something real stupid. A few days ago was the bridge

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions