HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 8:06 PM

You are lucky to have a Thai Express in SJ and there is one in Fredericton too. In Moncton we have Ruby Thai at Champlain and it's not good, more like a chinese buffet than ''cook to order'' thai...

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
You are lucky to have a Thai Express in SJ and there is one in Fredericton too. In Moncton we have Ruby Thai at Champlain and it's not good, more like a chinese buffet than ''cook to order'' thai...
Isn't there Thai Express in the new building by Sleep Country in Moncton too?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 2:05 AM

That is Thai Zone, which is not as good as Thai Express and more $$$. I've been wanting a Thai Express in Moncton for years!

Last edited by OUIR@random; Feb 21, 2017 at 3:32 AM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Any hints on where the SJ store will be?

The Freddy store needs an entire new building to be built, so it probably won't be started until April, and likely not be ready for opening until September. I'm sure they'll want to aim for an August opening to hit the BTS to XMas period.

I assume it'll be in the former Le Chateau Outlet store at East Point. That store was about 9/10 thousand square feet, plus there's another 3000 square feet in the vacant used to that making both units around 13000 square feet. There's also no "For Lease" signs in the windows so that leads me to believe it's definitely going there.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 2:35 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

from Retail Talk & Share re: the East Point Shopping Centre.

Quote:
Tip Top and Mr Big and Tall combo store is closing at East Point Shopping, as well Fairweather and Stockhomme combo store is also closing. MasterMind Toys will be opening soon at the same retail center.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 5:10 PM

Another 16 thousand square feet about to be filled in McAllister Place with a Dollarama. It's not the most glamorous piece of retail news but will definitely get more people into the mall and is better than another vacancy!

What intrigues me the most though is I wonder what the other two spots are going to be? I noticed the other day they started separating the remaining 2 thin spots in the former Target space as well is tearing down the exterior facade. Hmm....

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_d40 View Post
Another 16 thousand square feet about to be filled in McAllister Place with a Dollarama. It's not the most glamorous piece of retail news but will definitely get more people into the mall and is better than another vacancy!

What intrigues me the most though is I wonder what the other two spots are going to be? I noticed the other day they started separating the remaining 2 thin spots in the former Target space as well is tearing down the exterior facade. Hmm....
Wasn't the new Sears call center going there? I know, from a CHSJ report, the old Sobeys has been rented out but the new tenant was not named and it won't open until the SPRING of 2018. In the mean time the space will remain vacant. I heard rumors of a Giant Tiger and possibly either a No Frills or Foodland taking the old Sobeys, but time will tell.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 2:51 PM

I saw that Dollarama with the interior signage already up and construction finished, but totally empty awaiting furniture and fittings otherwise, the last time I was in the mall. Surprised me because I had no idea it was going to be there... but I can say with certainty that it's a pretty sizeable Dollarama. Though of course it'll look smaller once it's full of shelves. Still bigger than the Parkway Mall location that I presume they must be vacating for this one, though.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 4:37 PM

Dollarama might not be the most prestigious name in retail, but they bring in the foot traffic, have a purpose and place in the marketplace and it's one of the only Canadian retailer still growing right now...

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
Dollarama might not be the most prestigious name in retail, but they bring in the foot traffic, have a purpose and place in the marketplace and it's one of the only Canadian retailer still growing right now...
*Cough, Cough* Great Canadian Dollar Store *Cough, Cough*

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 11:30 PM

Sears Canada to remain open if Sears U.S. Closes

According to the Huffington Post, Sears in the U.S. looks like it most likely will be closing, but if it comes to past, Sears Canada will remain open so hopefully this will help keep those new call center jobs secure at least for a little bit longer.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/03..._15545184.html

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 8:19 PM

I see Acura of Moncton has opened a storefront in McAllister.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 8:25 PM

Also, GameStop/EB Games has announced plans to close a large number of stores worldwide.

I imagine the EB Games near Best Buy will be closed. Never really understood why we have two across the street from each other.

If that EB Games closes, that entire building will only have Pizza Delight and CIBC Bank left.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 3:36 AM

Dollarama in McAllister is now open. The wide, spacious aisles are a nice change from the usual claustrophobic mess at the other ones.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 3:37 PM

Just a tidbit of East Point Shopping News. There's a sign up saying that Cleves is moving there this summer.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 12:00 PM

The Starbucks in Indigo will be closing the end of April

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 2:18 PM

Dying malls?

Do you think McAllister Place and Regent Mall qualify for dying malls status? Or soon will?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopun View Post
Do you think McAllister Place and Regent Mall qualify for dying malls status? Or soon will?
Regent doesn't have any prominent spots that are empty.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 3:02 PM

Quote:
I don't know about McAllister place, but Regent mall is in excellent shape as I've described in the Big Malls thread.

Its anchors, other than Sears, are stable, and there aren't many large empty spaces. Since Sunrise is taking over HMV, that slot is filled, and I think it may only have 1 or 2 other empty slots as is.

Now it does have various swords of Damocles hanging over head; the fate of Sears is the most dangerous, but I'm sure the Bay would snap that up in a heart beat.

Walmart and the Cinemas are liking looking for a new home if/when another big spot nearby opens up, but that's less of a concern overall.

So all in all, Regent is in excellent shape for the short and medium term at least.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 4:01 PM

Quote:
I don't believe either mall does, or will. I can't speak for Regent, but McAllister looks like it will be pretty filled within the year. The remaining 2 spots from the sudivided Target are being renovated as we speak, with a new facade just recently completed last week. Last I hear it was Party City and Goodlife in those two spots. Even though the former Sobeys is still vacant, they do have a tenant signed for the space, so it's not just sitting there with nobody wanting it. HMV also is being taken by Sunrise, and they just recently made the Country Lane/Home Essence store move to make a corner vacancy near the former Sobeys area. It really just leaves a couple little storefronts available scattered throughout. Nothing major.

Like Regent, if Sears crumbles, it could put a wrench into the rejuvenation, but I think HBC would probably look into that space.

All in all, I think Champlain, McAllister, and Regent will continue on beating their drum and do fine.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces