HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 2:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I just read the T&T article on the Junction Urban Village

I found three snippets of information to be of interest.

1- The "Hilton branded hotel" will be six stories tall.
2- The Tannery Building may contain as many as 60 apartments which is a surprise, as my window count of the render had only suggested 36 units.
3- The developers are considering purchase of an additional 11 acres of land for future development, presumably along a to-be-extended portion of Ivan Rand Drive.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I just read the T&T article on the Junction Urban Village

I found three snippets of information to be of interest.

1- The "Hilton branded hotel" will be six stories tall.
2- The Tannery Building may contain as many as 60 apartments which is a surprise, as my window count of the render had only suggested 36 units.
3- The developers are considering purchase of an additional 11 acres of land for future development, presumably along a to-be-extended portion of Ivan Rand Drive.
All good news. I guess this means the latest render has been revised yet again since the building at the site of the hotel appears only to be 4 stories. At 60 apartments and a full floor of retail, I also doubt Tannery place will only be 4 stories unless they're planning an increase in the building footprint.

Last edited by NBNYer; Jan 5, 2017 at 4:16 PM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 2:54 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

It would make aesthetic sense to have "The Tannery" the same height as the Hilton Hotel. If The Tannery were also six stories, then with 12 units per residential floor, you would have 60 units. I think you're right and that the plans have been altered again.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jan 6, 2017 at 1:47 AM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2017, 8:37 PM

Nice to see the Crowne Plaza getting $6 Million in interior renovations, starts Monday and will be done by summer.

For those with a T&T subscription:
https://www.telegraphjournal.com/tim...ton-hotel-gets

Old Posted Jan 6, 2017, 1:50 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Another vote of confidence in the downtown, no doubt spurred on by the events centre project and by the prospect of new competition from the planned Hilton hotel down the street.

It would be nice if they also updated the exterior of the hotel too, but perhaps the Aquillini's are holding off on that until they do their full redevelopment of that entire city block..........

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 5:45 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Moncton's Capitol Theatre thrilled with two unexpected gifts
Theatre receives a heritage building and a grand piano from local supporters
By Vanessa Blanch, CBC News
Posted: Jan 12, 2017 11:44 AM AT| Last Updated: Jan 12, 2017 11:50 AM AT

The year 2016 turned out to be a lucky one for Moncton's Capitol Theatre, especially after two surprise gifts.

The first came when artistic director Marshall Button's phone rang, and Moncton businessman Dick Carpenter asked if the Capitol Theatre would like a 4,000-square-foot-building across the parking lot from the downtown theatre.

Button didn't hesitate to accept.

The extra space, which will become the headquarters of the Capitol's theatre school, and a dedicated rehearsal space is much needed, he said.

The building, at 33 Church St., is the former City Club. It was built in 1857 but was completely restored by Carpenter, who also led the restoration of the Capitol Theatre in the early 1990s.

Button said the space is already being used for rehearsals for the upcoming production of the musical Oliver!

read more:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...ions-1.3932133

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Moncton's Capitol Theatre thrilled with two unexpected gifts
Theatre receives a heritage building and a grand piano from local supporters
By Vanessa Blanch, CBC News
Posted: Jan 12, 2017 11:44 AM AT| Last Updated: Jan 12, 2017 11:50 AM AT

The year 2016 turned out to be a lucky one for Moncton's Capitol Theatre, especially after two surprise gifts.

The first came when artistic director Marshall Button's phone rang, and Moncton businessman Dick Carpenter asked if the Capitol Theatre would like a 4,000-square-foot-building across the parking lot from the downtown theatre.

Button didn't hesitate to accept.

The extra space, which will become the headquarters of the Capitol's theatre school, and a dedicated rehearsal space is much needed, he said.

The building, at 33 Church St., is the former City Club. It was built in 1857 but was completely restored by Carpenter, who also led the restoration of the Capitol Theatre in the early 1990s.

Button said the space is already being used for rehearsals for the upcoming production of the musical Oliver!

read more:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...ions-1.3932133
That will put some low key rumors to rest that Carpenter was looking to sell to a developer who was looking to buy out, and develop the entire back half of that block into another siding covered apartment building.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 1:53 AM

Moncton may put downtown power lines underground

With hope of inciting future building projects and investments, Moncton city council is eyeing a $1.5-million price tag to put a section of the electrical and communications lines running downtown underground. The city could pay $1.5 million to relocate all electrical and communications lines along Queen Street and also bring the lines underground on Botsford and Lewis streets between Queen and Main Streets.
Times&Transcript

GoogleMaps

That would be awesome. Queen Street will be getting a major facelift in the next couple years. Might as well go all-in with better site lines. I've always called this section of Queen Street "Shanty Town".

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 2:33 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Excellent first step. I would like to eventually see all lines buried south of St George Street down as far as Assumption Blvd. This would encompass the whole downtown core.

In any event, with FiveFive Queen starting construction this year, this would be the time to bury the lines in the Queen/Lewis/Botsford area. I have a strong hunch that FiveFive will be almost as important in creating a development node in the east end as the events centre will be in creating a similar node in the west end.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jan 24, 2017 at 3:28 PM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 2:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Further to the above, the T&T mentioned today in their article on this that the proposal to bury the lines in this area arose because of requests from "developers" to the city's engineering department. Originally, the plan had just been to relocate the lines to the south side of Queen Street.

Does this mean that there is already interest by other potential developers in projects around the FiveFive Queen site?????

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 3:22 PM

Quote:

Further to the above, the T&T mentioned today in their article on this that the proposal to bury the lines in this area arose because of requests from "developers" to the city's engineering department. Originally, the plan had just been to relocate the lines to the south side of Queen Street.

Does this mean that there is already interest by other potential developers in projects around the FiveFive Queen site?????
Hopefully so, but I'm not sure I would read that much into it. Seems to me like they may just be referring to the developers of FiveFive Queen.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 4:01 PM

Fortis or whatever it is now.. owns the next lot over by lewis. Its prime to be developed. ITs a parking lot with a house in the middle .

I am sure the tax gain of having FiveFive and any new extra new buildings on queen would easily off set the cost of putting the wires underground. Seems like a good time to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
Hopefully so, but I'm not sure I would read that much into it. Seems to me like they may just be referring to the developers of FiveFive Queen.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 12:20 AM

It might be a house but until a year ago the upstairs was used as a fraternal lodge hall. The Knights of Pythias met there.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 1:45 PM

Structural steel is going up on main street for the new building just past Westmoreland street

Old Posted Jan 28, 2017, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerTom View Post
Structural steel is going up on main street for the new building just past Westmoreland street
I noticed that today while driving by. Also noticed a large gap (~15ft) between the corner Transcript building and the new development.

Last edited by BlackYear; Jan 28, 2017 at 5:29 AM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 2:34 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here's a photo of the progress on that little bit of infill on Main near Westmorland:

This is from the Retail Talk & Share Facebook page. The structural steel is up and this is beginning to come along nicely. One of the contributors on that site says that there will be a national chain steakhouse moving in here - The Chop Steakhouse & Bar (https://chop.ca). It's a western chain, recently expanded to Ontario, currently with 13 locations nationwide. This would be a good addition to the downtown, but this rumour is currently completely unsubstantiated and may be entirely false. Still, something has happened to allow the developer to have the confidence to proceed with construction, so we'll see.........

Old Posted Jan 31, 2017, 3:46 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Fantastic to see!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Here's a photo of the progress on that little bit of infill on Main near Westmorland:

This is from the Retail Talk & Share Facebook page. The structural steel is up and this is beginning to come along nicely. One of the contributors on that site says that there will be a national chain steakhouse moving in here - The Chop Steakhouse & Bar (https://chop.ca). It's a western chain, recently expanded to Ontario, currently with 13 locations nationwide. This would be a good addition to the downtown, but this rumour is currently completely unsubstantiated and may be entirely false. Still, something has happened to allow the developer to have the confidence to proceed with construction, so we'll see.........
I was told by Chop Steakhouse today, "Although we continue to expand across Canada, we have not secured a location in Moncton."

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 3:37 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by micks5477 View Post
I was told by Chop Steakhouse today, "Although we continue to expand across Canada, we have not secured a location in Moncton."
Not a surprise really - it was an unsubstantiated internet rumour..........

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 5:25 PM

I know it probably wont be But I miss not having to go to Freddy to go eat at McGinnis Landing. So I'm crossing my fingers on that...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces