HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One57 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 31, 2012, 9:28 PM

Well, at least the crane did not fall, does not hurt anyone or damage any structure nearby buildings. Now only question is whether the One57 was damaged at the top.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2012, 10:21 PM
Mr. Technology

Imagine what the total cost of the crane replacement would be!
Imagine the insurance premium liability cost!

As much as I would like to see progress here, my main concern is safety for the local area.

Construction will resume when all safety measures have been secured.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2012, 12:00 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2012, 2:16 AM
An Optimistic Realist

I'm glad that this tower is being more widely known, but the way it had to come to that is infamous.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2012, 2:43 AM
Come As You Are

People will soon forget about this, and it be as admired as it was before.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2012, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hinds View Post
That isn't how tower cranes are built/dismantled, they build and take themselves apart.

Video Link
Thanks this was cool, but how are cranes like the ones on 1WTC disassembled? and is part of the core designed around these crane's structures?

Thanks

Old Posted Nov 1, 2012, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The last picture is interesting because the building in the foreground with the curved facade (I forget the name of it) had a crane collapse when it was under construction, about 30 years ago. As I recall they were dismantling the crane and due to human error the boom came loose and fell down all the way to the street, and there were many injuries and (i believe) one fatality.

[edit: now that I think about it i'm not sure this is the right building because I vaguely recall it being on a corner. Maybe someone else here remembers.]

Old Posted Nov 1, 2012, 4:29 PM
dream fast

Amazing how a steel tower crane can resemble a wet noodle.^

Old Posted Nov 1, 2012, 5:09 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by uakoops View Post
The last picture is interesting because the building in the foreground with the curved facade (I forget the name of it) had a crane collapse when it was under construction, about 30 years ago.
I don't know about 30 years ago, but the Conde Nast tower had an infamous incident when it was under construction.

B.C. Angell

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by Mike K.; Nov 5, 2012 at 5:37 PM. Reason: Removed flickr photo and link to flickr photographer profile.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2012, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uakoops View Post
The last picture is interesting because the building in the foreground with the curved facade (I forget the name of it) had a crane collapse when it was under construction, about 30 years ago. As I recall they were dismantling the crane and due to human error the boom came loose and fell down all the way to the street, and there were many injuries and (i believe) one fatality.

[edit: now that I think about it i'm not sure this is the right building because I vaguely recall it being on a corner. Maybe someone else here remembers.]
Don't think that's the correct building... Took some Googling for me (I don't live in NYC, so I don't know all the buildings). That would be the 9 West 57th Street building (you can see the big red "9" on the sidewalk in front of it) -- or, the Solow Building -- in the foreground. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solow_Building I do not see any mention of construction-related accidents with this building - so, not that one, I guess. It opened closer to 40 years ago, btw

But now I'm curious as to what accident that this was!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2012, 6:28 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/h..._content=Local

Hopeful news on crane

By WILLIAM SANDERSON and SALLY GOLDENBERG
November 1, 2012

Quote:
Residents and businesses displaced by a broken crane dangling 1,000 feet over West 57th Street should be able to return to their homes and jobs by Monday, Mayor Bloomberg said yesterday.

“The crane is currently stable,” said the mayor, as residents — briefly allowed back into nearby buildings — were instructed to take essential belongings and return next week. The crane’s boom was blown back over its engine as the storm grew fierce at about 2:30 p.m. Monday.

The mayor said city engineers have been in the building since Tuesday, and have “determined the ties that bind the [crane] tower to the building are secure.” By tomorrow, he said, workers will be able “to tie the boom to the building.”

Then officials can reopen West 57th Street — closed since Monday at the height of the storm — and begin taking down the broken crane at the under-construction luxury building.

They’ll “eventually construct another crane next to it to take down this one,” the mayor said.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2012, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PZelda View Post
Don't think that's the correct building... Took some Googling for me (I don't live in NYC, so I don't know all the buildings). That would be the 9 West 57th Street building (you can see the big red "9" on the sidewalk in front of it) -- or, the Solow Building -- in the foreground. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solow_Building I do not see any mention of construction-related accidents with this building - so, not that one, I guess. It opened closer to 40 years ago, btw

But now I'm curious as to what accident that this was!
I don't remember the name of it either but it curves out on the bottom just like that one and it's in the same general neighborhood (vicinity of Lexington and 58th I think)

Old Posted Nov 1, 2012, 9:16 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...9gHKX9t1lGIHCL

One57 keeps selling

By JENNIFER GOULD KEIL
November 1, 2012

Quote:
Condo prices remain sky-high at One57, the under-construction tower with the crane dangling over Midtown. Multiple industry sources tell Gimme Shelter that the incident has not impacted buyers, who have, as one broker put it, “short-term memory when it comes to these things — unless someone gets severely injured.” The building has already seen more than $1 billion in sales, with apartment prices hitting upwards of $90 million.

One recent buyer is a Connecticut hedge-fund honcho who bought a $30 million unit and has yet to decide whether it will be his family’s residence or an investment. “In any case, it has already gone up a million dollars on paper at least,” his broker says.

Others spotted the low-key buyer traipsing through a 38th-floor co-op at the Pierre in “camping-like clothes with a backpack.” “He didn’t look like he had any money at all,” one broker snips. “Who knew?”

That Pierre unit was just sold for $8 million to a different buyer. The seller was fashion mogul Giancarlo Giammetti, the business partner of designer Valentino. The fashionable apartment was previously owned by Pierre Berge, co-founder of Yves Saint Laurent Couture House.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...omatic-dispute

One57’s Partial Crane Collapse Sparks Diplomatic Dispute

By Oshrat Carmiel
November 01, 2012

Quote:
International guests of a Manhattan hotel that was evacuated after the partial collapse of a crane over West 57th Street gathered near the site this morning, pleading for access to their clothes, money and passports.

About 50 travelers from Ireland, the U.K., Australia, France and Ecuador congregated at barricades at 57th Street and Sixth Avenue. They sought entry to the Salisbury Hotel in a coordinated attempt to work through their local consulates and override police restrictions.

New York City police and a representative from Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s office responded to the gathering and denied the visitors access to the hotel. Representatives from each consulate were summoned to the scene and asked to help their nationals secure emergency passports and arrange to have their belongings shipped home, said Bradford Billet, a deputy commissioner with the mayor’s Commission for the United Nations, Consular Corps and Protocol.

“The consulates gave out bad information to their nationals so they all came at the exact same time,” said Billet, who met with hotel guests on the street.

The crane will be on display at the finish of the marathon on Sunday...

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/mo...icle-1.1195593

Workers assemble the finish line for the 2012 New York City Marathon in Central Park on Thursday.

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 1, 2012 at 11:10 PM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 3:08 AM

This is a very good news! I was worried. In the end, anything becomes "uncertainty" for the people. But what good that many people have not changed their minds. Too bad it is all the billions of damage this storm caused.

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 2, 2012 at 3:32 AM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 1:38 PM
New Yorker for life

When this tower is completed, it will have a very sleek and towering presence over Central Park...

Greenpeace USA 2012

____

cuttlefish

Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 4:56 PM
Mr. Technology

One57 does for Central Park what One WTC does for Downtown, they both anchor their respective areas.

When 432 Park Ave is complete, that tower will join One57 (almost like twin towers), where they both serve as anchors for Central Park -- so no matter where in the city you are (even if you are in NJ), all you need to do is look and you will instantly know where Central Park South begins.

These towers serve as a visual compass for the NY'er in all of us.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
One57 does for Central Park what One WTC does for Downtown, they both anchor their respective areas.

These towers serve as a visual compass for the NY'er in all of us.
absolutely, a great byproduct of the rebuilding of The WTC

Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 6:15 PM

Quote:
[When 432 Park Ave is complete, that tower will join One57 (almost like twin towers), where they both serve as anchors for Central Park -- so no matter where in the city you are (even if you are in NJ), all you need to do is look and you will instantly know where Central Park South begins.
432 and One57 aren't really that close. They're four avenues apart, which, especially on the West Side, means very long blocks.

I think that, if anything, One57 will be looked at in tandem with 225 W. 57, 220 CPS, and some of the other upcoming towers on W. 57 area, but 432 Park will be kind of "on it's own", at least for a few years.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 6:44 PM
Mr. Technology

Any objection to seeing a similar tower be built around 110th Street to anchor Central Park North?

Imagine how One57 creates a new demand for location-based luxury residential towers.
Billionaires would pay top dollar for the locations and views.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Any objection to seeing a similar tower be built around 110th Street to anchor Central Park North?

Imagine how One57 creates a new demand for location-based luxury residential towers.
Billionaires would pay top dollar for the locations and views.
I would absolutely love that, but I'm not sure NIMBYs wouldn't try and block supertalls north of Midtown.

You can built fairly tall in many areas Uptown, but current zoning doesn't allow supertalls as-of-right.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive