HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 7:29 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
The seats and the finished ceiling will certainly make a difference in how the Moncton centre will look. Just comparing with the Saint John's centre, it certainly looks like Moncton's seats are on a steeper incline; that's probably why it looks so much smaller compared to what we're used to. But it also means that everyone, even the nosebleed seats, will feel closer to the action, which should make for a more intimate experience. Concert promoters will probably really like that when they start marketing it.
Nice point of view!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 8:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
I don't know about an actual pub at the events centre in Moncton, but they are looking for a craft beer brewer to sell beer there. Whether that's in a pub or from mobile carts or from a beer stand in the hall or from the restaurants, I dunno.
Yes, you're right, I had forgotten about that. They do want a craft brewer in the events centre, but it won't be a pub, it'll more likely be a concession or a kiosk on the concourse level. It'll be interesting to see who gets this (Gahan House, Pumphouse etc.).

The only on site sit down restaurant AFAIK will be the club lounge (for club seating patrons and luxury box holders). The rest of the peons will have to make do with the 12-15 concessions on the concourse level.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 3:02 AM

Of the 12-15 concessions and considering this is the gma at least 5 should be time Hortons lol

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerTom View Post
Of the 12-15 concessions and considering this is the gma at least 5 should be time Hortons lol ������������
Only 5? I thought City requirements was a 50% Tim's coverage minimum. Or are you not counting the two outside the Arena?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 1:15 PM

Image one: Concourse Plan
Image two: Arena Bowl (Box level)

I mis-spoke in my earlier post regarding the comparison of St. John's, Newfoundlands Mile One Centre and the Events Centre in Moncton. I said that Moncton's looked to have a closed concourse just like Mile One Centre but as you can see from the image it looks like the eastern concourse (Highfield Street) will be open to the arena bowl with just the North, West and South concourses enclosed.

The East bowl will contain the club seats and across the concourse will be the club lounge but it looks like the concourse itself will be open to the bowl below.

The East bowl will have fewer rows as above the east concourse will be the stacked luxury suites and press gallery. If you examine the location of concessions and washrooms in the above design (image one) you'll see everywhere but East the bathrooms and concessions are tucked under the remaining rows of the arena bowl, while on the East concourse they are recessed away from the bowl. Those small circles on the East concourse (image one) are almost load bearing pillars on which the stacked boxes and press gallery will be resting.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 3:43 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I agree. It reminds me of the view you used to have of the federal buildings from the second floor of the old Eaton's department store. It makes the city seem large.

Also:

A sneak peek into Moncton's $104M downtown centre
Project director says building is on schedule for its September 2018 opening
By Tori Weldon, CBC News Posted: Feb 01, 2017 7:00 AM AT|
Last Updated: Feb 01, 2017 7:28 AM AT
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...tion-1.3960210

I don't know what it is, but every time I see a photo of the arena bowl within the new events centre, it seems small to me. I realize the seating capacity will be 25% greater in the new arena verses the old coliseum but it certainly doesn't look that way. It must be an optical illusion of some form.........

Do you know when they will start installing the seats?

Based on images that have been posted, it appears to have lots of concourse space. It will be exciting for Monctonians when it opens.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 2:05 PM

Was going to post this on the Q thread, but it seems to have disappeared.

Mikaël Lalancette (TVA Sports) posted last night that even with the Cats's losing streak, the attendance haven't really changed

Before the losing streak: avg of 3772/game
Now: 3771/game

Alright....who here jumped the ship

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 2:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by felip_ars View Post
Must be me. I haven't gone to a game since the team management had their big fire sale........

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 2:27 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Do you know when they will start installing the seats?
No idea, but I imagine the seating would be one of the last line items in the construction process.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 2:44 PM

If I compare it to the progress of Place Bell in Laval, they'll probably have some seats installed around this time next year.

They already installing them on the "Olympics" rink

Here's a picture of the "main" rink. I dont see any seats, but someone on FB said that they have started the installation.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 3:55 PM

Quote:
No idea, but I imagine the seating would be one of the last line items in the construction process.
Very likely not until towards the end of the construction phase. The seats are a 'finishing' fixture, and you don't want to be putting those in until you've done most/all of the work in the area, so they don't get dusty/stained/damaged by other work.

I'd be surprised if they even have the seats on site yet; though they might bring in a few rows just to double check measurements and the fit in the structure. (Considering the 11th hour change in seat plan, I would hope they are ready to do a dry fit to make sure there aren't any surprises)

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 12:43 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
I mistakenly thought that it was further along than it is. Hopefully it won't be like the Nova Centre, which looked substantially complete about a year ago but then takes almost forever to complete (please forgive the Trump-like hyperbole )

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 3:36 AM

Actually, that's pretty much how it's going to go down
See you at the grant openeing in 19 months. :-)

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 4:13 PM

I think some of you are underestimating that finishing work takes a very long time, especially on a large building with complex services like an arena. The structure is usually handled by one or two contractors, whereas the finishing work can take the work of dozens of contractors in different fields, it makes for a lot of logistic hangups if things don't go smoothly. Putting up building shell is one thing, but getting everything installed, tested and inspected before opening is a far bigger job.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by felip_ars View Post
Was going to post this on the Q thread, but it seems to have disappeared.

Mikaël Lalancette (TVA Sports) posted last night that even with the Cats's losing streak, the attendance haven't really changed

Before the losing streak: avg of 3772/game
Now: 3771/game

In a way though it has changed...

the 2nd half of the season always draws bigger crowds..mostly around 5000..leading to their typical 4500 average they have every year.

This is the smallest crowds in the second half I can ever remember

Regardless...it cant get worse than this.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 1:54 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
In a way though it has changed...

the 2nd half of the season always draws bigger crowds..mostly around 5000..leading to their typical 4500 average they have every year.

This is the smallest crowds in the second half I can ever remember

Regardless...it cant get worse than this.
My hope is the Wildcats management understand the bigger picture here...

We know they purposefully traded away most of their top players in the last year, this will allow them to begin building a much stronger team starting next year...give them a year to build up again and bam! into the new center, which in itself will draw fans in.

I think they are hoping to make a big run for the cup within the first couple years of the new event center, maybe even a hope to host Memorial Cup here again? Just a thought

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 2:07 AM
Honored Member

I am sure this image has been posted before (forgive me for not going through the thread). Is this the seating colour scheme that has been chosen, or has it changed? (this is from Oct 2015, so it shows how little I know)

It is great that Halifax and Moncton might be able to team up on some events like possibly a future World Junior hockey championship

(source: https://www.slideshare.net/HuddleTod...-centre-oct-26)

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 3:08 AM

I don't think I've seen this render before, thanks for posting it. It'll be great to attend a sell out hockey game. How amazing would it be to get a pre-season NHL game in the new Events Centre.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 4:11 AM

The design will be slightly different from that, if you go on to the city website, and go into the downtown centre page, you can look at the conceptual page, which has photos of the seating. The show the red seats, but changing to a greyish blue as they get higher.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
The design will be slightly different from that, if you go on to the city website, and go into the downtown centre page, you can look at the conceptual page, which has photos of the seating. The show the red seats, but changing to a greyish blue as they get higher.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces