HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Feb 20, 2017, 6:02 PM

There's a case to be made for "safest Liberal riding in Canada" for Ottawa-Vanier.

Even the very unpopular provincial Libs were able to win easily with a majority of the vote.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 3:08 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Don't expect an Ottawa-Vanier byelection upset, uOttawa professor says

Glenn Harrop, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: March 29, 2017 | Last Updated: March 29, 2017 4:35 PM EDT

As voters prepare to cast their ballots in the Ottawa-Vanier byelection on Monday, a University of Ottawa political science professor says the riding will likely be Liberal — still.

Ottawa-Vanier has a never seen an MP from any other party since its formation. The byelection is taking place to fill the seat of MP Mauril Bélanger, who died last August from ALS.

Mona Fortier is the Liberal candidate in the byelection.

“It’s been a longstanding tradition to vote Liberal so I don’t think it will change,” said Prof. Pierre Martel.

Conservative candidate Adrian Papara says he will work to hold the Liberal government accountable and lower the taxes for his constituents. NDP candidate Emile Taman returns to the campaign race from the previous election and promises to bring more attention to social justice issues.

Martel thinks the NDP, which was neck-and-neck with the Conservatives in this riding in the last election, could have an advantage this time. Papara has received some criticism because he is unable to speak French.

“You cannot reach out and be able to interact with a significant portion of the electorate,” said Martel. “I don’t think it’s going to be a major issue but it’s going to be an issue.”

Constituents of Ottawa-Vanier are concerned with issues such as the ongoing Phoenix pay system problems, a lack of affordable housing, electoral reform and support for local schools.

The byelection has had a 15 per cent advanced voter turnout. The polls open on Monday in voting stations across the riding.

“If you look at the recent election in Ontario and the overall discontent of Premier Wynne’s policies, it may affect the byelection, but I don’t think it’s going to change,” said Martel.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...professor-says

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 2:18 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Will the 82-year-old Liberal bastion of Ottawa-Vanier topple? Monday's byelection will decide

Joanne Laucius, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: March 31, 2017 | Last Updated: March 31, 2017 8:35 PM EDT

When it comes to political strongholds, there are few as unassailable as Ottawa-Vanier.

As a federal riding, it has been Liberal since its creation in 1935. Its last MP, Mauril Bélanger, was diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) just weeks after winning in the last federal election in October 2015, and died last August. He won eight elections, starting with a 1995 byelection.

Widely regarded as a hard worker and a fierce defender of francophone rights, Bélanger’s legacy is a well-oiled riding political machine. The riding association is among the richest and best-engaged in the country. One example: About 6,500 people in Ottawa-Vanier took advantage of free membership to register with the party. In February, a nomination meeting voted Mona Fortier as Bélanger’s successor from a field of eight contenders. It was one of the best-attended nomination meetings in Eastern Ontario in the past 30 years, according to Liberal organizers.

Fortier, a University of Ottawa MBA graduate and lifelong resident of the riding who has worked in non-profit organizations and as a communications consultant, considers Bélanger to be a mentor. She was also endorsed by his widow, Catherine.

Fortier was a volunteer in all eight of Bélanger’s campaigns and worked in the fight to keep the Montfort Hospital open. She has Bélanger’s reservoir of goodwill in the riding and a community profile of her own as a member of the Provincial Advisory Committee on Francophone Affairs and the Montfort Hospital’s board of directors.

“I learned a lot about the values of equality and responsibility and giving back to the community — especially diversity and minority rights,” she says.

Fortier believes the Liberal bastion will hold in Ottawa-Vanier. “I prefer to think of it as ‘Keeping it red,’ ” she says. “Even if I’m not Mauril Bélanger, I’m very involved in the community.”

Ottawa-Vanier has just over 100,000 people. It encompasses some of the city’s poorest neighbourhoods and its most affluent. The riding covers Vanier and Rockcliffe, as well as Sandy Hill, Lowertown, New Edinburgh and Overbrook. It still retains a strong francophone presence — about a third of residents count French as their first language. However, about one in four people have neither French nor English as a mother tongue, and it has growing numbers of residents from Africa, southeast Asia, the Middle East and Latin America, as well as an expanding indigenous population.

Among the issues in the riding: job creation, health care, housing, secure retirement for low-income seniors, keeping truck traffic off King Edward Avenue, crime and homelessness.

Fortier believes developing the economy in Ottawa-Vanier means building on the institutions that already exist, including the University of Ottawa, La Cité, the Montfort and the NRC. “We have to look at the strengths in the community,” she says.

Her main competition in Monday’s byelection comes from Emilie Taman, a federal prosecutor who is the daughter of former Supreme Court of Canada justice Louise Arbour. Taman was forced to give up her job when she decided to run as an NDP candidate against Bélanger in 2015. She is now an assistant law professor at the University of Ottawa.

Taman was considered a credible challenger in the 2015 election, attracting longtime Liberal supporters to the NDP, which had targeted Ottawa-Vanier as a riding it could win. In 2011, her predecessor NDP candidate Trevor Hache had won 15,391 votes to Bélanger’s 20,009, part of a nation-wide NDP surge.

But Bélanger swept to victory again in 2015 with the Liberal tide, winning 36,474 votes to 12,194 votes for Taman and 12,109 for Conservative candidate David Piccini.

Less than a year-and-a-half later, Taman believes that there is already a level of cynicism that the Liberals’ sunny ways have not translated into a feeling of security about jobs, housing and the future. Besides, a byelection is a different beast than an election.

“Last time, it was very much about a widespread desire for a change in government. People were voting strategically. That is off the table in a byelection,” she says. “There’s a level of disappointment over the Liberal government. Last time, I was running against a long-entrenched and beloved incumbent. And I could see why.”

But there’s a different dynamic now, she says. “I expected I would have to make my case more strongly. But there are many, many people who are already there. Even longtime Liberals are seeing the value in strengthening the progressive opposition.”

There are two other candidates in the mix. The Green party’s candidate is Nira Dookeran, a high school teacher who also ran in the 2015 election. The Conservative candidate is Adrian Papara, a political aide.

Papara, born in Romania, grew up in British Columbia and did an MBA at the University of Ottawa. He lived in Ottawa-Vanier for about three years, but moved downtown about a year ago to be closer to his work. While both Fortier and Taman are fluently bilingual, Papara is working on his French and said he has shied away from participating in debates in French because he was not comfortable with the language. Meanwhile, he has made an unorthodox campaign promise: if he wins he will give 10 per cent of his wages as an MP to projects that help the community, such as addictions programs.

Papara says many voters in the riding are disillusioned with the Liberal government. The Phoenix pay system mess has many civil servants in the riding angry. Others are frustrated about the lack of secure jobs. The riding needs to attract incubators and accelerators to support entrepreneurship, he argues.

“That’s what they have in Kanata. In Vanier, you go down Montreal Road and you have pot dispensaries and pay-day loan offices. These are not the businesses you want to attract,” he says.

“Byelections are tricky. They’re a great way for people to send a message to government. There is a lot of discontent.”

Fortier says that’s not what she’s been hearing.

“I’ve been hearing that the country has challenges. But we’re going to move forward together,” she says. “That’s what I’m hearing at the door.”

jlaucius@postmedia.com

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...on-will-decide

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 12:58 PM

Liberal ground game has been weak and the candidate is super-unimpressive. In any other riding I might think there was a possibility of a close vote, but in Ottawa Vanier where Mr. Potato Head (the toy, not a metaphor) could win as long as there was an L next to his name I think this has all the suspense of a North Korea election.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Liberal ground game has been weak and the candidate is super-unimpressive. In any other riding I might think there was a possibility of a close vote, but in Ottawa Vanier where Mr. Potato Head (the toy, not a metaphor) could win as long as there was an L next to his name I think this has all the suspense of a North Korea election.
How so? (Like most people voting in this by-election, I suspect, I know nothing of Fortier beyond her cv).

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
How so? (Like most people voting in this by-election, I suspect, I know nothing of Fortier beyond her cv).
Her CV only lists sitting on local public sector boards: no employment experience, no leadership experience. Sounds like someone with good political connections but not much else. Certainly compared to other local MPs (Mckenna, Leslie) she is not very impressive. We're clearly being asked to elect a career backbencher, and since Ottawa-Vanier MP is a lifetime appointment it will be decades before we see have the potential for a minister.

Even worse though, her website indicates almost no interest in local issues. The "priorities" section is just vague motherhood statements with no clickable links or further details. For a riding with big challenges (transit, crime, truckways) someone without a strong interest in issues will hurt the riding.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2017, 11:43 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

NDP gave maps, advice and other help to a third-party anti-Liberal group in Ottawa by-election

David Akin 04.02.2017

OTTAWA — As voters get set to head to the polls Monday in five federal byelections, new evidence has emerged that the New Democrats have provided strategic help and research to a third party that is endorsing NDP and Green candidates.

The National Post has obtained emails and memos written by the president and other members of Fair Vote Canada, a third-party group that has been a strong advocate of electoral reform. The documents acknowledge that the NDP campaign in the riding of Ottawa-Vanier provided maps and research to Fair Vote to help that organization decide where to deploy its resources to assist the electoral efforts of the candidates it has endorsed.

Contacted Saturday, Fair Vote Canada confirmed that it sought and received the NDP’s help and the NDP did not challenge that view.

Fair Vote Canada has publicly endorsed both NDP and Green candidates in all five ridings that vote Monday for new members of parliament.

“The aim would be to send the Liberal government a message that voters were not going to forgive them for reneging on their promise of making 2015 the last (first-past-the-post) election by encouraging voters to support either the NDP or the Green Party for their positive stances on proportional representation,” a Fair Vote Canada volunteer writes in a memo, obtained by the Post, that was distributed to Fair Vote supporters. The document’s title is “FVC flyer distribution project, 2017 Ottawa-Vanier by-election: Lessons Learned: A guide for similar efforts by Fair Vote Canada chapters across Canada in future by-elections and general elections.”

Fair Vote Canada president Réal Lavergne confirmed the authenticity of the memo and that his group got help from the NDP to organize its anti-Liberal campaign in Ottawa-Vanier.

Federal elections law prohibits third parties and political parties from colluding if that collusion has the effect of helping a political party exceed mandated spending limits. It is less clear if a political party is allowed to provide advice and materials to a third party or if that third party is allowed to receive such direct assistance.

Elections Canada officials were not available Saturday.

Certainly, third parties like Fair Vote Canada are free to endorse any candidate or party they choose, but Conservative party spokesman Cory Hann said the arrangement between Fair Vote Canada and the NDP appears to go beyond that.

“This certainly would appear to blur what should be a clear line between the work of an official political party and the efforts of third-party groups,” Hann said in a statement Saturday. “Third-party groups should remain exactly that — third-party, and not some covert arm of any one political party.”

Liberals were similarly unimpressed. “These appear to be very troubling actions, and it’s essential that every party follows the clear rules that keep our democratic process transparent and accountable,” said Braeden Caley, a party spokesman.

Lavergne said Fair Vote Canada has done nothing wrong and is well under the spending limit imposed by Elections Canada.

“We’re very sensitive to the third-party issue,” Lavergne said in a telephone interview Saturday.

For their part, the New Democrats did not dispute that they gave assistance to Fair Vote Canada, and made no apologies for it.

“I imagine that the Liberals are not very happy about this but I can’t imagine they are surprised given the prime minister decided to abandon the electoral reform commitment he made,” Sarah Jordison, NDP campaign manager in Ottawa-Vanier, said in an emailed statement.

In addition to Ottawa-Vanier, byelections will be held Monday in a Montreal riding, in one in Markham, Ont., and in two ridings in Calgary.

All are considered safe seats for their incumbent parties: the Liberals in Ottawa, Montreal and Markham, and the Conservatives in Calgary.

Nonetheless, Fair Vote Canada hopes to boost the number of NDP and Green votes as an expression of dissatisfaction with the Trudeau government’s decision to shelve electoral-reform plans.

In Ottawa-Vanier, Lavergne sent Fair Vote Canada supporters an email — a copy of which was obtained by the Post — in which he discussed the content and distribution strategy for 15,000 postcard-style flyers.

But with about 87,000 eligible voters in Ottawa-Vanier, Fair Vote Canada needed some help to identify how it could best distribute these flyers to maximum effect — so it turned to the NDP.

The memo obtained by the Post acknowledges that Fair Vote Canada got “some help from the NDP campaign of candidate Emilie Taman to identify priority ridings,” a fact confirmed by Lavergne.

Later in that memo, the author writes, “The NDP office also helped us with Elections Canada maps that we might have had trouble getting ourselves” and “The NDP had prepared maps for us of their recommended priority 50 polls. These were very useful.”

Again, Lavergne confirmed these facts.

Lavergne also wrote: “The NDP … gave us a high-resolution pdf map of the whole riding, which indicated the boundaries of all the polls. This would prove invaluable later on.”

In addition to providing help with maps, the NDP also provided strategic advice to Fair Vote Canada about where to deploy its canvassers.

“We ended up covering 48 of the 50 priority polls on our blitz day … and asked the NDP for more maps,” the Google Document’s author wrote. “They provided eight more on the spot, but ran dry after that. They suggested that we not bother leafleting zones that were quite conservative or with low voter turnout. And that we should focus on the U of O campus and getting into some of the apartment blocks within the zones already identified.”

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/na...096/story.html

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 4:05 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Her CV only lists sitting on local public sector boards: no employment experience, no leadership experience. Sounds like someone with good political connections but not much else. Certainly compared to other local MPs (Mckenna, Leslie) she is not very impressive. We're clearly being asked to elect a career backbencher, and since Ottawa-Vanier MP is a lifetime appointment it will be decades before we see have the potential for a minister.

Even worse though, her website indicates almost no interest in local issues. The "priorities" section is just vague motherhood statements with no clickable links or further details. For a riding with big challenges (transit, crime, truckways) someone without a strong interest in issues will hurt the riding.

Mona Fortier founded, owned and ran her own consulting firm. I kinda knew her and rubbed shoulders with her in a previous life.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Mona Fortier founded, owned and ran her own consulting firm. I kinda knew her and rubbed shoulders with her in a previous life.
You should have written her bio on her website, it would have been better that what is there, particularity if it explained what field her consulting firm was in and how that gave here relevant experience for being an MP. I guess it doesn't matter, she proved you can phone it in and still win.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 7:25 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
You should have written her bio on her website, it would have been better that what is there, particularity if it explained what field her consulting firm was in and how that gave here relevant experience for being an MP. I guess it doesn't matter, she proved you can phone it in and still win.
Thanks, but I prefer to not get involved in politics of any stripe!

I don't have any affiliation with Mona though we would have recognized each other enough to say hi and stop and chat briefly had I bumped into her prior to her entering public life.

I don't think she's any less qualified for or less deserving of the job than the people who preceded her in that riding were when they were first elected: Mauril Bélanger was a career political backroom staffer, Jean-Robert Gauthier was a chiropractor. On the provincial side Madeleine Meilleur was a nurse.

Not that there is anything wrong with any of these backgrounds. I just don't think Mona stands out as being shockingly less qualified than any of the others. (Or most other MPs in the region.)

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 7:51 PM

Quote:
The only "credential" for being a Member of Parliament is to win at least one more valid vote than the next-closest candidate.

I don't know Fortier, but on the scale of say, 1 to Rob Anders, she seems to be much closer to the 1 end of the scale.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 8:16 PM

Quote:

I don't think she's any less qualified for or less deserving of the job than the people who preceded her in that riding were when they were first elected: Mauril Bélanger was a career political backroom staffer, Jean-Robert Gauthier was a chiropractor. On the provincial side Madeleine Meilleur was a nurse.

Not that there is anything wrong with any of these backgrounds. I just don't think Mona stands out as being shockingly less qualified than any of the others. (Or most other MPs in the region.)
I think that was the point I was trying to make. Ottawa-Vanier should be able to attract top tier candidates. There is no need to commute long distances, candidates are not subjected to difficult campaigns, all kinds of successful people in a variety of fields live in the riding. Mauril Belanger held a few Minister of State type jobs in the Martin cabient, but I don't think the riding has ever had a full cabinet minister at the federal level. Provincial MPPs tend to end up in cabinet when the Liberals are in power, but a majority of the caucus are usually in cabinet that is not necessarily a huge feat.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2017, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks, but I prefer to not get involved in politics of any stripe!

I don't have any affiliation with Mona though we would have recognized each other enough to say hi and stop and chat briefly had I bumped into her prior to her entering public life.

A nurse and a lawyer, no? Wasn't she Ontario's Attorney-General when she retired?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 4:03 AM

Quote:
I think that was the point I was trying to make. Ottawa-Vanier should be able to attract top tier candidates. There is no need to commute long distances, candidates are not subjected to difficult campaigns, all kinds of successful people in a variety of fields live in the riding. Mauril Belanger held a few Minister of State type jobs in the Martin cabient, but I don't think the riding has ever had a full cabinet minister at the federal level. Provincial MPPs tend to end up in cabinet when the Liberals are in power, but a majority of the caucus are usually in cabinet that is not necessarily a huge feat.
That's a good point.. you'd think the guarantee of being in office as long as you want would attract the best of the best to want to run for the Liberals in Ottawa-Vanier.

Here in Kingston we have a tendency to always return incumbents, generally Liberals but historically speaking a Conservative once or twice, typically a moderate one. And we've had some pretty impressive MPs in the past.. prior to 2015, our three previous MPs were Ted Hsu (voted Parliamentarian of the Year one year--I believe 2013), Peter Milliken (speaker of the house for years), and Flora McDonald (trailblazing female politician and accomplished cabinet minister).

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 12:30 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Province calls byelections in Orléans, Ottawa-Vanier for Feb. 27

Staff Reporter
Updated: January 29, 2020

Voters in the east-end provincial ridings of Orléans and Ottawa-Vanier will head to the polls in byelections Feb. 27.

The ridings became vacant when former Orléans MPP Marie-France Lalonde was elected to represent the riding federally Oct. 21, while Ottawa-Vanier MPP Nathalie Des Rosiers stepped down to become a principal of Massey College at the University of Toronto last August.

Both Lalonde and Des Rosiers were Liberal MPPs.

Several candidates have already announced their intention to run in the byelections.

City Coun. Stephen Blais will run for the Liberals in Orléans, while Lucille Collard will represent the party in Ottawa-Vanier.

The provincial Tories will run Natalie Montgomery in Orléans and Patrick Mayangi in Ottawa-Vanier.

The New Democratic Party will field Manon Parrot in Orléans and Myriam Djilane in Ottawa-Vanier.

Standings in the legislature are: Progressive Conservatives, 73 seats; NDP, 40 seats; Liberals, 6; Green, 1 and two vacant.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...ier-for-feb-27

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 2:48 PM

Hmmm, I'll be out of the country. Need to see when the advance polls are. Not that there's much doubt about the Ottawa-Vanier outcome ....

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 7:44 PM

Both should be easy Liberal holds. Normally Orleans would be competitive but the Ford government is unpopular and going through midterm strain.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 12:30 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Liberals hold Ottawa-Vanier and Ottawa-Orléans seats in provincial byelections
Lucille Collard and Stephen Blais cruised to victory in the neighbouring ridings on Thursday.

Gord Holder, Postmedia
Updated: February 27, 2020

The Ontario Liberals received two electoral shots in the arm on Thursday as Stephen Blais and Lucille Collard easily won byelections to retain long-held seats for the party in the neighbouring Ottawa-Orléans and Ottawa-Vanier ridings.

Those victories increased the Liberals’ allotment of seats in the Legislature to eight among 124 overall.

The Progressive Conservative government of Premier Doug Ford still holds a solid majority with 73 seats. The NDP, led by Andrea Horwath, has official Opposition status with 40. There are also one Green MPP, party leader Mike Schreiner in Guelph riding, and two independents.

“There’s a lot of work ahead, of course. We’ve got the convention to elect a new leader, so that will be important work,” Collard said. “After that, we’ll be continuing the construction of our party. We need to bring in more people, we need to have many, many, many more conversations with all the residents of Ontario. We’re going to rebuild the party that’s going to be very strong, that people can identify with, so I’m very confident that the Liberal party is in no way at its end, that it’s regaining momentum.”

Momentum was on the two Liberals’ side almost as soon as the polls officially closed on Thursday night. Within 20 minutes and with just a half-dozen polls reporting, both Collard and Blais had substantial leads over their closest competitors: Myriam Djilane of the NDP and Natalie Montgomery of the Conservatives, respectively.

“I think you have to talk to some families in Orléans to decide or to understand what motivated their vote,” said Blais, who has served as city councillor in Cumberland ward for the past decade and before that as a school board trustee.

“We worked very hard for six months, talking to residents about what was important to them, and obviously I’ve been working very hard for 15 years, delivering real results for residents in Orléans, from education to infrastructure and services. I think it’s a combination of our positive message both as a party and locally in Orléans.”

The vacancies being filled Thursday resulted from the resignations of incumbent Liberals Natalie Des Rosiers in Ottawa-Vanier and Marie-France Lalonde in Ottawa-Orléans. Des Rosiers became the principal of Massey College in Toronto, while Lalonde won election to the House of Commons in Orléans riding in the 2019 federal election.

Ottawa-Vanier had been solidly Liberal for more than half a century, the only break in that streak being a 12-vote victory by Conservative Jules Morin over Liberal Horace Racine in 1967 in what was then called Ottawa East.

Thursday’s balloting was the third in a span of four years for voters in the riding. Des Rosiers first claimed her seat in the Legislature in a 2016 byelection resulting from the retirement of former MPP Madeleine Meilleur, and she held the riding in the 2018 general election by a margin of more than 6,000 votes over the NDP’s Lyra Evans.

“Look at the last election. How many of our colleagues were in ‘safe’ seats that aren’t there now? So winning elections is about earning people’s trust and then working hard all the way through election day, like today, on a day like today,” interim Liberal leader John Fraser said.

“Take a look at the results. The results are some of our strongest in the ridings. I think it’s fair to say the message to Doug Ford is, ‘Your priorities are not the priorities of Ontario’s families. They don’t want larger class sizes, they don’t want new licence plates, they don’t want less support for vulnerable elders, they don’t want buck-a-beer. They just want good schools, good hospitals, a plan for the environment, a plan for jobs so they can have a job and their kids can have jobs.”

With all but a couple of polls reporting, Collard had more than 10,000 votes on her side, in excess of 50 per cent of those ballots cast. Djilane had about 5,000 votes, or 25 per cent, while PC candidate Patrick Mayangi trailed well behind in third place with 2,300 votes, or about 11 per cent of the total.

Also running in Ottawa-Vanier in this byelection were: Benjamin Koczwarski, Green party; Ken Lewis, Libertarian; J. Justin O’Donnell, Alliance: Above Znoneofthe (formerly Sheldon Bergson), None of the Above Direct Democracy party; and independent Julie Fiala.

The win by Blais was the fifth in a row for the Liberals in Ottawa-Orléans, but the margin of of victory was up substantial. In 2018, Lalonde prevailed with 39 per cent of the votes to 35 for PC Cameron Montgomery.

This time Blais collected more than 14,000 votes (55 per cent), with Natalie Montgomery a distant second at 5,800 (23 per cent).

Manon Parrot finished third for the NDP with 15 per cent, followed by the Greens’ Andrew West. Also running were Libertarian Jean-Serge Brisson, Alliance’s Gerrie Huenemoerder, Pauper Party’s John Turmel and Keegan Bennett for None of the Above Direct Democracy Party.

Turnout for a byelection is generally lower than it is for a general election, and both ridings stuck to that trend Thursday, when snowy, sloppy weather conditions might have been a factor: Ottawa-Orléans at 23 per cent of registered voters and Ottawa-Vanier at 20.

In Ottawa-Orléans, the turnout was 62.77 per cent in the 2018 Ontario election, and it was in the 60 per cent range for five of six previous elections since 1999.

In Ottawa-Vanier, 51.47 per cent of registered voters cast ballots in 2018, and the turnout was 37.37 per cent the 2016 byelection that took Des Rosiers to the Legislature for the first time.

gholder@postmedia.com
Twitter.com/HolderGord

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...al-byelections

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 11:36 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Appointing councillor only option if city can't hold Cumberland byelection
The former councillor, Stephen Blais, is now MPP for Orléans after winning a provincial byelection. He resigned from council on March 5.

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Updated: March 21, 2020

The city’s ability to hold a byelection in Cumberland ward during a global pandemic is decreasing by the day, raising the possibility of selecting the only other option to fill the vacant council seat.

At the beginning of March, a byelection seemed like the obvious choice to find the next councillor for the suburban and rural ward in east Ottawa. It wasn’t even halfway through the four-year council term, so selecting a councillor chosen by voters was the sensible thing to do, even if it would cost about $375,000 for a byelection.

The outbreak of the novel coronavirus has injected uncertainty since it’s hard to imagine how a byelection, with door-to-door campaigning by candidates and in-person voting, could happen at a time of social distancing.

Health officials in Ottawa have been stressing the importance of social distancing to inhibit the spread of the coronavirus for about a week, but no one is sure how long it will be required.

There’s only one other legal option to fill the vacant council seat: appointing a new councillor.

The former councillor, Stephen Blais, is now MPP for Orléans after winning a provincial byelection on Feb. 27. He resigned from city council on March 5.

Council is required to declare the Cumberland ward seat vacant at its next meeting, scheduled for Wednesday.

The provincial government has allowed municipal council members to participate in meetings electronically during an emergency and still count toward minimum attendance requirements. On Wednesday, council members will still be able to attend the meeting in person.

The city can only delay for so long its decision on filling the Cumberland ward seat.

Provincial law says council has 60 days after declaring a seat vacant to choose how it will be filled. If it’s through appointment, the new councillor must be appointed within those 60 days.

Council would also have to approve an appointment process, likely involving applications for the job and a way for other councillors to vote for candidates.

There are also legislated timelines for a byelection. All nominations would need to be finalized on a date selected by the clerk between 30 and 60 days after a byelection bylaw is approved. The date of the byelection is 45 days after nominations are finalized.

The city had initially been targeting early June for a byelection, so there’s a buffer available to council to see how the coronavirus pandemic shakes out, but, without certainty about the length of time needed for social distancing, it might be impossible to plan a byelection.

Orléans Coun. Matthew Luloff and Innes Coun. Laura Dudas have been taking care of signing requirements for Cumberland ward items while waiting for a new councillor to be sworn in. Staff in the Cumberland ward office also continue to help residents there.

Some people have already publicly said they intended to run for the Cumberland seat, but it remains to be seen if they have put off political ambitions until the next municipal general election in 2022.

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...option-remains

Old Posted Sep 2, 2020, 2:11 PM

Cumberland Ward Rogers Debate. Trying to figure out who to vote for who's not Catherine Kitts because she's seemingly a Watson Club member in waiting, as evidence by the image below.

https://twitter.com/StephenBlais/sta...81970374119424

This debate was not very helpful. A real shit-show. It was done through Zoom but the debate format was not adapted for it.

Video Link

CBC has a list of candidates with a quick profile for each:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...2020-1.5681894

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy