HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 12:34 AM

You'd think so, but maybe that would entail too much renos...

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 2:33 AM

Small business goes corporate... business takes on leadership with "corporate experience..." leadership decides to expand faster than business and employees can manage, rebrands products to be more like the competition ... profit drops... business downsizes at employees' expense. Rinse and repeat.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Small business goes corporate... business takes on leadership with "corporate experience..." leadership decides to expand faster than business and employees can manage, rebrands products to be more like the competition ... profit drops... business downsizes at employees' expense. Rinse and repeat.
Business pretending to be a coop...

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 4:18 AM

I do wonder if Lululemon may be interested in the building(MEC Big Great Northern Way Campus) now that it's up for subleasing. An existing building in the same area they are interested in moving in with a lot of great features. The location is also close to there old offices when they had the office at Clark and Great Northern Way.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 4:41 AM

Some layoffs at MEC but more permanent staff to be hired, CEO says in restructuring plan

In nationwide all-staff, Phil Arrata announces move away from casual employment, as co-op aims to stem losses

Yvette Brend · CBC News · Posted: Jan 20, 2020

Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC) is laying off some of its 2,400 employees — but offering permanent positions to many of its casual workers — as it restructures in a bid to restore its financial health.

The outdoor retailer, which lost more than $11 million in the past fiscal year, is aiming to cut costs, and change what it stocks and how it staffs, according to an online statement from CEO Phil Arrata.

The statement was released after the company's 22 stores across Canada were shut down on Sunday afternoon for a nationwide all-staff meeting, according to employees at several outlets. Store managers read a statement outlining the new direction Arrata plans to take MEC.

In some stores that meant a handful of layoffs. MEC declined to confirm a total number.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...aRUGKugldv3BNc

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I do wonder if Lululemon may be interested in the building(MEC Big Great Northern Way Campus) now that it's up for subleasing. An existing building in the same area they are interested in moving in with a lot of great features. The location is also close to there old offices when they had the office at Clark and Great Northern Way.
They already said the new building will house 2000 and hopefully 4000 by 2032 so it seems doubtful they would need the MEC building.

New Lululemon 593K square feet

MEC was 112K square feet

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 8:00 AM

Watch them decide on some Burnaby business park

They should have signed that deal with LL BEAN for CDN distribution

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
New Lululemon 593K square feet
I'm no retail expert but that seems to be an insane amount of square footage for a clothing company, regardless of how many divisions they have housed there.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
I'm no retail expert but that seems to be an insane amount of square footage for a clothing company, regardless of how many divisions they have housed there.

Lulu has a amazing development system in place they almost became a dead brand about 5 years ago so they opened up a variety of other stores in test markets, and then developed different clothes. Plus the brand loyalty is some of the best in the business. They have a no questions asked return policy developed a running line, a mens line and also pioneered the tween sport industry.

As I recall most of lulu staff is housed here in Vancouver where as most corporate retail is in Ohio

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 4:02 PM

The MEC building is certainly interesting to suddenly pop up on the market. A ton of space, a cool building, and very close to transit.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
The MEC building is certainly interesting to suddenly pop up on the market. A ton of space, a cool building, and very close to transit.
I guess when you are almost in receivership you got to do what you got to do. They are so mismanaged and have very labour friendly contracts with unions. I did work in the warehouse in Surrey. Starting rate in there was almost 30 bucks an hour to pick orders and went up from there.

And building out several locations all at once with a limited source of income is very bad management.

And there political affiliations has also hurt the brand. They used to be the preferred vendor for a lot of people that were into the guiding business etc but they all left them.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cairnstone View Post
I guess when you are almost in receivership you got to do what you got to do. They are so mismanaged and have very labour friendly contracts with unions. I did work in the warehouse in Surrey. Starting rate in there was almost 30 bucks an hour to pick orders and went up from there.

And building out several locations all at once with a limited source of income is very bad management.

And there political affiliations has also hurt the brand. They used to be the preferred vendor for a lot of people that were into the guiding business etc but they all left them.
I guess they've cut wages.. starting rate for a Lead Hand in the Eastern Distribution Centre working afternoons is $21.22/hr
https://recruiting.ultipro.ca/MOU500...3-e1d5b699f10b

Ron.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfBC View Post
I guess they've cut wages.. starting rate for a Lead Hand in the Eastern Distribution Centre working afternoons is $21.22/hr
https://recruiting.ultipro.ca/MOU500...3-e1d5b699f10b

Ron.
Ontario is a different market. Here was union

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Business pretending to be a coop...
This, but seriously. MEC these days seems to be a co-op only in name.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 9:36 PM

One of the articles I read said they were going to cut back on MEC house brand clothing because they were usually poor sellers and ended up on clearance. ... but that's what differentiates them from the competition (otherwise they'd be another SportChek/Atmosphere). They must just have poor in-house designers / suppliers if people aren't buying them.

Don't stores like Simons create a niche with their house brands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cairnstone View Post
Kit and Ace also comes to mind...

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 9:42 PM

I've been inside MEC once, a friend was a member, and from my perspective, it didn't seem any different to sport chek or any similar store.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I've been inside MEC once, a friend was a member, and from my perspective, it didn't seem any different to sport chek or any similar store.
I think it used to have more of a co-op feel, but to me it's more about the product lines and what you can find in one place. Where else can you go and get everything you need for a camping/hiking trip, with a mix of low end all the way up to pro gear?

I'm not trying to sound like an MEC booster, but it's always been my go to for that kind of thing, as well as bicycle stuff.

Looking forward to the new flagship finally opening, and seeing if they are doing anything unique there.

MEC is basically a copy of REI, which seems to be thriving. It's not rocket surgery.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
One of the articles I read said they were going to cut back on MEC house brand clothing because they were usually poor sellers and ended up on clearance. ... but that's what differentiates them from the competition (otherwise they'd be another SportChek/Atmosphere). They must just have poor in-house designers / suppliers if people aren't buying them.
My experience with their house brands of late is that it's mostly cheap stuff from the Far East now.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 11:52 PM

MEC 10 years ago had great customer service and knowledgable staff. I find this is an area they have fallen behind in the last few years. Sportchek and the other stores all have stepped up there game in the industry. The new store location hopefully will inject back into MEC some of what they were 10 years ago. There are things they could definitely do to bring people (customers) back and I hope the work from the change in management will do this in the years ahead.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 12:15 AM

^^^In addition to SportsChek and the ilk stepping their game up

Plus they've pivoted for the outdoor-urban-fashion crowd,

Except Sporting Life does a better job at that.

I'm still rooting for them, how did REI in the states mount their comeback story?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy