HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted May 10, 2014, 1:37 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Ottawa just boggles my mind on this as you have four different school systems: English public, French public, French Catholic and English Catholic. All of which have their own transportation system (more often than not) and of course each has their own Director of Student Transportation Services who makes 100K a year.
Thunder Bay's school boards actually did something revolutionary years ago: they established a transportation consortium, combining all of their bus routes so that kids from all school boards rode together on the same routes. Each school board starts its schools at different times so buses can make multiple drop-offs, on-time. Students living within a certain walking distance of the school aren't eligible for bus service.

The other irony is that people are moving to neighbourhoods with no schools, having kids, then complaining about the lack of schools.

School buses are only around for 20 minutes in the morning and 20 minutes in the afternoon. I don't get why people get so upset about them. You know the real cause of all that traffic? All of the private vehicles with a single person in them.

The most absurd are situations where a couple both work in the same facility or neighbourhood, but both drive separately to work. I have a coworker who lives two blocks away but occasionally will drive to work. I don't have a parking spot at home, so when I get a vehicle I'll probably keep it in the parking lot at work two blocks away.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada