HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 8:02 PM

just out of interest: a comparison of Vancouver and Calgary

For those of you who have the time or interest,

These two videos, (thie first rather long, at 28 mn, and better skipped through a bit) is a look at different streetscapes, parks, neighbourhoods,
and downtown Calgary .... and more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-t...yt-cl=84838260

The second video is for a planned future highway system that's almost like one the Interstate highways in places:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmdW85JmnWE

My question, is Calgary following a largely American model in its growth plans?

Big, big freeway sytems and low density mean L.A. type sprawl.

And like many American cities, it has only LRT, not RRT.

Just an observation. Thank you for your time.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 8:06 PM

That's one WIDE median. What's the point? Calgary surely is our version of Houston.

Btw, I hate thread titles without capital letters!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 8:29 PM

The wasted space in that video of the highway is horrific.

I don't think Alberta will be undertaking any huge capital projects any time soon. Oil prices will drop their revenues $6-7B annually, last I heard at a $60/bbl price. I think spot prices are under $50 now.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
For those of you who have the time or interest,

These two videos, (thie first rather long, at 28 mn, and better skipped through a bit) is a look at different streetscapes, parks, neighbourhoods,
and downtown Calgary .... and more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-t...yt-cl=84838260

The second video is for a planned future highway system that's almost like one the Interstate highways in places:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmdW85JmnWE

My question, is Calgary following a largely American model in its growth plans?

Big, big freeway sytems and low density mean L.A. type sprawl.

And like many American cities, it has only LRT, not RRT.

Just an observation. Thank you for your time.
Computer ate my first reply...
I visited Calgary last year so that makes me an expert.....actually This thread feels like nothing but a set up for bashing Calgary. Calgary does sprawl but not like a lot a US cities and hey so do we. Actally the big difference with lots of US cities is the strength of the downtown. As to big propossed highways...Massey tunnel replacement anyone? Ps if the title of the thread is a comparison of Calgary with Vancouver Vancouver probably should be referenced in the post itself.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
They ultimately plan to build another 6-8 lanes of traffic within the median.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post

I don't think Alberta will be undertaking any huge capital projects any time soon. Oil prices will drop their revenues $6-7B annually, last I heard at a $60/bbl price. I think spot prices are under $50 now.

Its not a highway it is a ring road.

Its more of an expansion on existing roadways than something brand new at least in most parts.

I like Calgary they seem to build infrastructure properly unlike Vancouver.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 4:25 AM
dazzle me

wow, that highway video almost seems like a joke, as if it were put together by someone trolling that town by suggesting they'd be stupid enough to build such a grotesquerie. truly one of the most absurd exaggerations i've seen in some time, probably the only thing that could have made it worse is if during the flyovers the video had helpfully highlighted wetlands destroyed and proudly listed the total anticipated numbers of animals killed.

then again, who really cares what they do up there, noone is forcing people to move there and the concatenation of such travesties are why a good portion of the interesting people in that province are so damned desperate to get out of there and end up improving other, more interesting places.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porfiry View Post
They ultimately plan to build another 6-8 lanes of traffic within the median.
And that's supposed to make it better?

There are SO many things wrong with this, I don't know where to begin.

And the George Massey Tunnel comment, I agree - let's hope it can be derailed before it gets off the ground.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
wow, that highway video almost seems like a joke, as if it were put together by someone trolling that town by suggesting they'd be stupid enough to build such a grotesquerie. truly one of the most absurd exaggerations i've seen in some time, probably the only thing that could have made it worse is if during the flyovers the video had helpfully highlighted wetlands destroyed and proudly listed the total anticipated numbers of animals killed.

then again, who really cares what they do up there, noone is forcing people to move there and the concatenation of such travesties are why a good portion of the interesting people in that province are so damned desperate to get out of there and end up improving other, more interesting places.
This is some funny shit right here, and not because I agree. I actually disagree with almost everything you say.

I was imagining you reading out loud as you angrily typed your message. A giant gob of spit came out of your mouth as you said the word "grotesquerie" with a bit of extra force......

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 4:54 AM

I don't think I would want to live in Calgary but this idea that Calgary is a Canadian Dallas is way out of line.

Yes Calgary sprawls but has anyone every been to the Fraser Valley? Also Calgary just overtook Vancouver in per-capita transit ridership, so maybe it's Vancouverites who are the car crazy crowd? Also, how many km of rapid transit did Vancouver have at 1.2 million? if you answered zero then you win a prize.

Calgary also made some excellent planning decisions that Vancouver should follow. Part of the reason Calgary has the best transit network in NA for a city it's size is because it thought decades ahead and when building roads and new subdivisions they made sure that there would be room for LRT in the future negating any need for huge land acquisitions or expensive tunneling.

Calgary also choose to focus it's development downtown which makes transit use far more efficient than Vancouver which has a far more decentralized employment structure.
Also Calgary, in order to increase transit ridership, greatly increased downtown parking rates...........starting in the late 60s! This is why transit ridership is so high especially during work times and why downtown Calgary still has the most expensive parking rates in NA after New York. Calgary also has Canada's best bike path network. Calgary seems to have struck a good balance between transit and roads and their commute times aren't even close to Vancouver's which greatly effects quality of life.

Due to the balls of the city, Stephen Ave is the most successful and longest pedestrian only street in the country. Besides this they also put aside and entire other street for transit only and made trips in the core free on transit to encourage usage downtown.

The City Hall was built downtown not away from it so has become a focal point for many cultural activities as opposed to Vancouver's which is nothing but an office building. The city is densifying it core at a huge rate and many new downtown areas have blossomed.

The city hasn't allowed the wholesale destruction of some many of it's lovely homes and destroyed the integrity of many communities. All cities have their poverty problems but Calgary { or any other Canadian city for that matter} come even close to Vancouver's DTES.

There is also something to be said for money and Calgary outshines Vancouver by a long shot. Calgarians have a standard of living that most in Vancouver can only dream about
with lower income taxes, no sales taxes, average wages that are 30% higher with housing costs half of Vancouver.

I am not saying that Calgary is some kind of urban nirvana and nor am I saying that Vancouver is lousy compared to it. Vancouver has a tremendous amount going for it but this idea that Calgary is some back wards hick town is ridiculous just as much as this idea that Vancouver is some urban planning wonderland.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 5:18 AM

Where are you getting your mode share numbers from? The latest numbers I can find have Calgary at 79% auto mode share vs Vancouver 73%

Quote:
.Calgary also choose to focus it's development downtown which makes transit use far more efficient than Vancouver which has a far more decentralized employment structure.
Have to disagree here. Maybe if Calgary was more decentralized like Vancouver, that expensive tunnel they have to build in Calgary wouldn't be needed. And don't forget that the latest LRT line in Calgary cost just as much as the much faster and much more frequent Evergreen Line. Cost per km, Evergreen Line is much cheaper to build. How did Calgary do it?

http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/936013/car-use-growing-city-wide-but-declining-in-downtown-calgary/
http://www.translink.ca/~/media/Docu...efing%201.ashx

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 5:40 AM

APTA 3rd quarter.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Yes Calgary sprawls but has anyone every been to the Fraser Valley? Also Calgary just overtook Vancouver in per-capita transit ridership, so maybe it's Vancouverites who are the car crazy crowd? Also, how many km of rapid transit did Vancouver have at 1.2 million? if you answered zero then you win a prize.

Calgary also made some excellent planning decisions that Vancouver should follow. Part of the reason Calgary has the best transit network in NA for a city it's size is because it thought decades ahead and when building roads and new subdivisions they made sure that there would be room for LRT in the future negating any need for huge land acquisitions or expensive tunneling.
That is not really correct, and also not a fair comparison. The focus of society has changed over the last 20-30 years since Vancouver was 1.2 million. Its like trying to compare things with Toronto when Toronto was 1.2 million decades ago. Many small cities now have rapid transit. Back when Toronto was 1.2 million, very few large cities had rapid transit! In any case, although Calgary has done well with its LRT system, it would be quite hard pressed to say Calgary has the best transit network for a city its size in NA...perhaps light rail system...but definitely not overall transit network.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 5:54 AM
dazzle me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrequent Poster View Post
This is some funny shit right here, and not because I agree. I actually disagree with almost everything you say.

I was imagining you reading out loud as you angrily typed your message. A giant gob of spit came out of your mouth as you said the word "grotesquerie" with a bit of extra force......
i live in san francisco, california and really only look at places like calgary out of a broad interest in urbanism. it's actually impossible for me to be angry about what happens in calgary, but watching that goofy 1950s-style video with this "forward march" jingoist attitude about obviously horrible outcomes was boring for the first few hundreds times.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 6:10 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Calgary surely is our version of Houston.
Until this I thought you were a pretty fairly educated/informed person. Making such a grossly generalized and misinformed statement is beneath you.

This thread is pretty ridiculous. The idea is nice, but with so few of you ever having been here and clearly knowing little to nothing about the city, it's just a waste of forum space.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 6:11 AM

Quote:
APTA 3rd quarter.
Uh, using those numbers and the latest census numbers show Vancouver has higher transit ridership. On top of that more people cycle and walk to work in Vancouver.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 8:35 AM

Quote:
I don't think I would want to live in Calgary but this idea that Calgary is a Canadian Dallas is way out of line.

Calgary also choose to focus it's development downtown which makes transit use far more efficient than Vancouver which has a far more decentralized employment structure.
Also Calgary, in order to increase transit ridership, greatly increased downtown parking rates...........starting in the late 60s! This is why transit ridership is so high especially during work times and why downtown Calgary still has the most expensive parking rates in NA after New York. Calgary also has Canada's best bike path network. Calgary seems to have struck a good balance between transit and roads and their commute times aren't even close to Vancouver's which greatly effects quality of life.

Due to the balls of the city, Stephen Ave is the most successful and longest pedestrian only street in the country. Besides this they also put aside and entire other street for transit only and made trips in the core free on transit to encourage usage downtown.

The City Hall was built downtown not away from it so has become a focal point for many cultural activities as opposed to Vancouver's which is nothing but an office building. The city is densifying it core at a huge rate and many new downtown areas have blossomed.

The city hasn't allowed the wholesale destruction of some many of it's lovely homes and destroyed the integrity of many communities. All cities have their poverty problems but Calgary { or any other Canadian city for that matter} come even close to Vancouver's DTES.

There is also something to be said for money and Calgary outshines Vancouver by a long shot. Calgarians have a standard of living that most in Vancouver can only dream about
with lower income taxes, no sales taxes, average wages that are 30% higher with housing costs half of Vancouver.

I am not saying that Calgary is some kind of urban nirvana and nor am I saying that Vancouver is lousy compared to it. Vancouver has a tremendous amount going for it but this idea that Calgary is some back wards hick town is ridiculous just as much as this idea that Vancouver is some urban planning wonderland.
Based on your never ending complaints about BC and the Vancouver area. I have to ask you why you bother to stay here?

If Vancouver doesn't offer a high quality of life (every survey on quality of life begs to differ with you btw) and Calgary is something Vancouverites can only dream of, than prove it by moving there and becoming the next Calgary Booster.

I've been to Calgary, My mother lives there and I visit there fairly frequently. To say it's better than Vancouver in much of any of what you stated is laughable at best. It's a lovely city no doubt, but it's transit system and road network make me want to bash my head in every time I visit.

However seeing as you think Vancouver is sooo horrible and has a horrible standard of living and a horrible cost of living. Be my guest and move to Calgary.

I know this thread has almost nothing to do with it's title but I'll make some observations nonetheless.

I grew up in Kelowna BC and Calgary honestly felt like a really big Kelowna. Similar climate to boot. But if you want a Vancouver centric viewpoint. I see downtown Calgary as a a dense experiment that I actually prefer over Vancouver's bland architectural skinny residential towers.

However the areas of Calgary outside of the city centre remind me of Surrey in terms of urban form and feel. And trust me thats no compliment.

Also ssiguy, Calgary may not have a DTES, but the DTES in Vancouver is not Vancouver's fault. Vancouver has a very mild climate and the poor flock here for that alone. Even then Calgary does have it's pockets of poverty and criminal activity. Try forest lawn when you visit next. Walk down 17th avenue SE at 2am. Let me know how that turns out ok.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 1:31 PM

Quote:
APTA 3rd quarter.
Weren't you already corrected about this last month? You used the wrong Metro Vancouver population numbers. The number you used included Abbotsford.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 2:54 PM

Quote:
this idea that Calgary is some back wards hick town is ridiculous just as much as this idea that Vancouver is some urban planning wonderland.
Well said.

You summarized it all quite succinctly.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2015, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Vancouver has a tremendous amount going for it but this idea that Calgary is some back wards hick town is ridiculous just as much as this idea that Vancouver is some urban planning wonderland.
Calgarians like pickup trucks, guns, cattle, driving fast, big suburban malls, etc. If you like the Fraser Valley you'll love Calgary.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia