HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
This could support the rumour of a veterinarian clinic. Mostly likely with offices or something else on top.
This is going to be the North End Animal Hospital by the owners of Eastern Passage Village Veterinary Hospital, and East Hants Animal Hospital.

Some pictures from their facebook:

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoshanMcG View Post
This is going to be the North End Animal Hospital by the owners of Eastern Passage Village Veterinary Hospital, and East Hants Animal Hospital.

Its a significant hole now. Quite shocking how the bedrock goes right up to the sidewalk.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 1:25 AM

The White Rose (2172 Gottingen Street) - These are 1 bedroom suites renting from $1'400 per month with a January 2021 start date (AMK Leasing).

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 2:24 AM

Globe and Mail tells us what we already know about the crazy real estate market here.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...-halifax-more/
The home is at 789 Tower Road and just 270 feet from the rail lines and containers full of dangerous goods. Listed at $799,000 and sold for $790,000.
Assessment will rise from $593,500. HRM doing well from Deed Transfer Tax.
Dartmouth prices are putting homes and apartments out of reach of essential workers and the Centre Plan is out of date (if it ever was in date) before it becomes law. The 'density' mantra pushes people further away from the centre.

Last edited by Colin May; Nov 14, 2020 at 6:20 PM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoshanMcG View Post

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 12:57 AM

Ibbotson nails it : " Suddenly, the idea of thousands upon thousands of people wasting hours each day funnelling into city centres in the morning and then back home at night seems faintly ridiculous. Who wants to go back to doing that five days a week?

If the future of the city involves more people working at least part of the time from home, housing will have to adapt. As it turns out, the detached suburban house is quite well suited to the task.

People downtown grapple with issues such as congestion, homelessness, affordability. They assign a high priority to combatting global warming. They seek redistributive solutions: social services, subsidized housing, anti-racism initiatives, bike lanes, a carbon tax. "

But the priorities of many suburbanites – including the 51 per cent of immigrants in Greater Toronto who live in suburbs – are aspirational rather than redistributive; they are more interested in getting ahead than in giving back. They don’t ride bikes between November and April, and they don’t seek to defund the police. As for global warming: pickup trucks.
If your response is that we must must get suburbanites to change their way of living and thinking, how do you plan to win their votes?

People in city centres should be thinking less about compelling suburbs to change, and more about what they’re going to do with all those empty downtown office towers and the shuttered stores in the malls beneath them, now that suburban workers are spending at least part of their work week at home.

They might ask how they’re going to get suburbanites to come downtown to shop and eat and see a movie or a play if they don’t work there much any more, cool new restaurants are opening in their own neighbourhood and everything they want to see is streamed."
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/poli...-suburb-which/

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 12:13 PM

I would agree, Colin, just based upon what we have seen happen in our own downtown. There is a balkanization that has taken place, with families largely found anywhere but downtown, which seems largely reserved for the DINK segment of society, usually ones where both partners have high-level jobs in order to let them afford that lifestyle. Nothing wrong with that, but it would seem to me to be a rather limiting sort of ethos for planners to embrace. Oddly enough, the COVID repercussions may contribute to even more of this, with empty office space being converted to housing units. Although the desirability of such units may again be somewhat limited if fewer jobs are found downtown. In some ways it may be a rerun of what was seen in the large North American cities several decades ago, as major firms pulled out of downtowns to build suburban office campuses.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 12:33 AM

3077 - 3085 OXFORD STREET

Proposal is going to Design Advisory Committee next week for a Level III Site Plan Review.

Documents show a 6-storey / 21 metre / 61-unit residential building with ground floor commercial and underground parking. Commercial will be accessed off of Oxford Street while the residential entrance and parking will be off of Young Street.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 2:19 AM

According to its construction permit EAST WEST STREET will be a hotel/motel type building.

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 6:56 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Any news or renderings about what's being built here? I remember reading a while ago that this might have some kind of atrium. One of the most prominent sites being redeveloped right now.

Source

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 6:56 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Construction at the former Squiggle Park site on Gottingen:

Source

Will be interesting to see what the cladding looks like on this one. The main floor looks short for a commercial street, like the one on the other side of Falkland.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 9:12 PM

^The 'For Lease' (Partners Global) sign on the front says it is designed for a 1'600 sq ft restuarant. One advantage this site does have is the unused public ROW in front. I'm sure a restaurant owner could get a permit for a small outdoor patio. Restaurants facing Gottingen Street can't build sidewalk patios because of the transit lane so this would be an advantage for this site that only The Local can compete with.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2020, 9:21 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It is remarkable how much more vibrant Gottingen looks in that video even though it's in November during a pandemic. Years ago there was little going on on this street, and I'd guess it's only about halfway to where it's headed, with many lots or buildings still empty or under construction.

In a couple of years I think it will basically be considered a normal part of downtown, a kind of counterpoint to Spring Garden Road. And redevelopment along Cogswell and on the interchange lands will completely change how it relates to the main part of downtown.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 6:48 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

A shot of Clyde Street, one of those "new vs. old Halifax" views. Seems that red 3 storey building is newly renovated. A few renovations have been happening along this stretch.

With these wooden buildings the quality of the streetscape depends so much on standards of maintenance. They can be dreary and run-down or delightfully bright and varied. I wonder what direction the city is moving in? It seems like overall there are more well-maintained buildings than in the past, although many historic character buildings are being lost to redevelopment or remodeling (whether this is a win or a loss is subjective).

Source

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Seems that red 3 storey building is newly renovated. A few renovations have been happening along this stretch.
I was by there a few weeks ago, and I didn’t take a close look, but it appeared that this part of the block is being renovated into storefronts. The buildings have nice new street frontages, including a new entrance handsomely meeting the corner of the block

For all the loss of historic buildings that happens, a few renovations like this go a long way. When they’re well done it almost feels like gaining new historic vernacular/character.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 12:24 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I always found the question of inherited historical architecture versus newly built stuff interesting. Sometimes people talk as if there's an insurmountable difference, and you obviously can't build a new historic building (by definition), but in principle there is no reason why many of these old buildings can't be built today, why a 2 storey wooden rowhouse can't become a 3 or 4 storey wooden rowhouse, or why a city needs to abandon its old vernacular styles and build modern generic stuff.

Some decry traditional-looking buildings as being Disney-like. But I don't know why a 3 storey wooden box apartment building from 1860 is appropriate on a street while one built in 2020 is not, as long as the quality is there and the building works well for the occupants and the city. We should not conflate the use of traditional crafts or styles with kitsch or cheapness.

In Halifax in particular I've always felt like it was kind of on the edge of feeling like a substantial historical city, and could go either way. So shoring up a few areas like this or Inglis or Cornwallis Street could really make a difference. If Halifax is developed well it could turn into something quite unique. I don't think there are any other historic East Coast cities that are being transformed as quickly today. The feel is a bit like the older West Coast American cities, but I think Halifax allows more flexible redevelopment than they do, and they are qualitatively just different types of cities in a variety of ways.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 6:34 AM
Somewhat Pretentious

I think many overlook the employment potential maintaining these heritage buildings has. If traditional craftsmanship is to be respected you have to employ local carpenters specialized in the trade, as opposed to buying modern siding from who-knows where. Windows too, fibreglass has a fixed lifespan before the whole window needs to be replaced, while with traditional glass you can continuously hire someone to repair it. It’s not just about protecting a building, you have a chance to preserve increasingly rare skills. That can be lost if the old building is too heavily modernized.

“Disneyfication” happens when the building is heavily modified so that it looks more historical than it actually is, but I can only think of one small example in Halifax. Heritage buildings aren’t Disney-like in their original form: it’s authenticity. I would instead say there’s a greater risk of oversimplification these days. If it’s a new building built in true traditional form, I think it could make sense if it’s replacing something already lost.

My guess is that the direction the historical buildings take will largely depend on how much investment is going into a neighbourhood but also how rare they become. I think their value is being recognized as street-view comparisons show many decrepit buildings from 5 years ago being renovated in 2019. There’s definitely a lot of merit to conserving not just key structures, but also their surrounding streetscape. Toronto has some old build buildings scattered here and there, but when they’re surrounded by modern buildings they no longer fit the context, you see the old building but don’t feel the history.

Last edited by Good Baklava; Dec 4, 2020 at 1:39 PM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 11:15 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
With these wooden buildings the quality of the streetscape depends so much on standards of maintenance. They can be dreary and run-down or delightfully bright and varied. I wonder what direction the city is moving in? It seems like overall there are more well-maintained buildings than in the past, although many historic character buildings are being lost to redevelopment or remodeling (whether this is a win or a loss is subjective).
I was very surprised by this reno. I recall it looking really dicy prior to this, and would have been in condition to be torn down. There's another building, a red house with a barn roof, on Queen Street that's being renovated to the studs with an addition built out back. And then the western portion of the Sweet Jane's building that got some tasteful restoration.

As simple as it seems, it looks like areas where there's heritage protections keep heritage buildings, and areas without them lose them.

As an addition to Disneyfication, it's also a function of the building being reduced to a facade, and heavily altered from it's original state. The Historic properties mall is somewhat an example of this, and possibly the RBC block.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
I was very surprised by this reno. I recall it looking really dicy prior to this, and would have been in condition to be torn down. There's another building, a red house with a barn roof, on Queen Street that's being renovated to the studs with an addition built out back. And then the western portion of the Sweet Jane's building that got some tasteful restoration.
I used to live in this neighborhood in the '90s and often walked in the Clyde/Queen/Morris St areas. Back then a great many of the structures were decrepit. Morris St in particular had (and maybe still does have) a large number of old houses converted for students where a dozen or so live and which were infamous for loud, rowdy parties and the piles of beat-up furniture left on the curbs when they vacated each Spring. The number of places that were not was probably much smaller, and there were many that were somewhere in between, not particularly attractive (think vinyl siding and replacement cheap slider windows) but apparently not falling down. A lot of them were rental housing, often student housing or rooming houses. A couple of times I toured around there looking for a possible place for myself, and the ones I looked at inside were not attractive. Renovations now can only be a good thing.

Back then even "Historic Schmidtville" (a term almost nobody used in those days) was very much a mixed bag of run-down wooden buildings, a few nicely restored examples occupied by owners, and multi-unit rentals. Given the lack of parking (or even driveways) in many cases it was limited to a particular segment of the market. The more attractive (from the outside at least) examples were to be found on South Park St, from near Spring Garden all the way down to Inglis St., but again, a great many had been converted to multi-unit rentals of greatly variable quality inside.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 6:36 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

There are still a few light blue vinyl-clad rentals along Morris Street.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth