HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 11:14 PM
Tucsonan

So i drove past Proper last night and i suppose they had a "Friends and Family" opening and today is the public opening. And can I just say it looks amazing. I cant believe how much this corner has opened up and become even more vibrant than before. For the first time in a while i felt an overwhelming changing of the tides downtown. While taking glimpses while driving past i thought to myself "i feel like im in a different new city" it was a great feeling and vibe i got from this place, can't wait to go there. The entire ambience and feeling was great, it was so open and the bar connecting outside was a great touch. It has done so much for this corner! i cant believe there was a time when this entire corner was empty about 2 years ago! I cant even imagine what it will be like with everything else open and streetcar running.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 2:13 AM
Tucsonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComplotDesigner View Post
Update from 050513

I really hope soon that Jack in the Box is eventually razed and replaced with a nice 6 story building like the zoning allows. That corner would make for such a nice retail or restaurants lining the street with apartments above...

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anqrew View Post
So i drove past Proper last night and i suppose they had a "Friends and Family" opening and today is the public opening. And can I just say it looks amazing. I cant believe how much this corner has opened up and become even more vibrant than before. For the first time in a while i felt an overwhelming changing of the tides downtown. While taking glimpses while driving past i thought to myself "i feel like im in a different new city" it was a great feeling and vibe i got from this place, can't wait to go there. The entire ambience and feeling was great, it was so open and the bar connecting outside was a great touch. It has done so much for this corner! i cant believe there was a time when this entire corner was empty about 2 years ago! I cant even imagine what it will be like with everything else open and streetcar running.
I just got home from Proper. For the first day, the service and food were great. It's a bit pricey but they'll have a happy hour eventually, which will make it a really great place. The view from the bar with the windows open was really amazing. I can't wait until the patios along Congress get approved.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMole View Post
Student Housing in Historic Neighborhood

Above article just showed up on Arizona Public Media. Student Housing projects listed in the article are below:

Among the new housing complexes:
- The District on 5th: 550 N. 5th Ave., 768 students. Opened in 2012.
- Level phase 1: 1042 N. Tyndall Ave., 570 students. Scheduled to open August 2013.
- The Retreat, Park and 22nd Street, 774 students. Scheduled to open August 2013.
- The Cadence, 345 and 350 E. Congress St., 465 students. Scheduled to open August 2013.
- Level phase 2: 1020 N. Tyndall Ave., 390 students. Scheduled to open August 2014.
I think this is supposed to be Park Ave.
- HUB at Tucson, 1011 N. Tyndall Ave., 590 students. Scheduled to open August 2014.
- Junction at Iron Horse, 504 E. 10th St., 185 students. Scheduled to open August 2014.
It must be. The address is obviously wrong but it directs back to the lot that Level fully occupies.

EDIT - The last paragraph of the story about The Cadence was enlightening.

Quote:
"(The development) is going to add a component to Armory Park that Armory Park doesn’t have, which is retail," Izmirian said. "Our development partner, Jim Campbell, is working on bringing a market to our site which is one of the things that Armory Park really wants.”

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 5:53 AM

Students don't want to live in an home made 100 years ago that needs constant repair and yard cleaning and to be without air conditioning in our Tucson summers. Students want to live in an area where there's very little maintenance required and to top it all off a grand view of the city, or the side of another building... My point is, is that Level,Hub and friends are just giving the people what they want. It's not their fault that people prefer to live in an upscale apartment rather than an old hot home. I personally know of many people who many years ago have told me that they would want to live in an apartment or condo tower because of the lack of maintenance required and the closeness to other services. These people wanted to stay in Tucson but could not find what they're looking for and left. I noticed in the video that west university is emptying out of the student renters. Of course it's emptying!! What student wants to live in a really old home! If anything the emptying of the houses will help the creation of new student apartments or even regular apartments for the coming years. Once again west university has failed to prove it's importance in Tucson. Besides we're not demolishing all of the homes. I've seen the zoning map.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 6:01 AM

Another note from today: I was driving down 4th and saw a liquor license notification outside the somewhat derelict building southeast of Maloney's, right on the corner of 4th and 9th. I stopped to look at it and the business is called "Hudson Restaurant & Bar." I just looked it up on PRO and a MDR was approved for the project last summer. The rendering included with the MDR application is below.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 6:09 AM
Tucsonan

Nice, took me a while to figure out which building that was! that corner needs it, now something needs to be done with that parking lot in front of Maloneys...

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 7:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anqrew View Post
I really hope soon that Jack in the Box is eventually razed and replaced with a nice 6 story building like the zoning allows. That corner would make for such a nice retail or restaurants lining the street with apartments above...
I wish it would get moved, but I doubt it. With 2 new 13 story or so buildings going up right next to the Jack-In-The-Box and another a block or so away (all filled with hungry college students who don't have tons of money or time to spend at good restaurants), that place is going to be always busy.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritarancher View Post
Students don't want to live in an home made 100 years ago that needs constant repair and yard cleaning and to be without air conditioning in our Tucson summers. Students want to live in an area where there's very little maintenance required and to top it all off a grand view of the city, or the side of another building... My point is, is that Level,Hub and friends are just giving the people what they want. It's not their fault that people prefer to live in an upscale apartment rather than an old hot home. I personally know of many people who many years ago have told me that they would want to live in an apartment or condo tower because of the lack of maintenance required and the closeness to other services. These people wanted to stay in Tucson but could not find what they're looking for and left. I noticed in the video that west university is emptying out of the student renters. Of course it's emptying!! What student wants to live in a really old home! If anything the emptying of the houses will help the creation of new student apartments or even regular apartments for the coming years. Once again west university has failed to prove it's importance in Tucson. Besides we're not demolishing all of the homes. I've seen the zoning map.
I completely agree!

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 3:02 AM

Looks like the Pioneer Building Downtown was finally able to get some of that empty space filled. It isn't a very good article, doesn't say how much of the building was leased or what floors. But since it had pretty high vacancy levels, I see this as good news. The lower the occupancy for office space downtown, the better the chance of new office space, maybe a new high-rise getting built in the near future.

Non-profit, Collaborative Workspace Gangplank Finds New Home Downtown

Gangplank Tucson invites the community to celebrate the grand re-opening of their new collaborative workspace located Downtown in the historic Pioneer Building at 100 N. Stone Ave., Suite 110, on Wednesday, May 22 from 5:30pm-9:30pm....

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 7:42 AM

Golf course planned as college site
CITY IS IN TALKS TO SELL, LEASE EL RIO TO PRIVATE GRAND CANYON UNIVERSITY

Darren DaRonco Arizona Daily Star

Tucson's El Rio Golf Course appears to be the leading contender to become the home of a new campus of Grand Canyon University.

City officials have been negotiating with the university to sell or lease the west-side course to the Phoenix-based private Christian university.

The city proposed the golf course once it was revealed Tucson was on the university's short list for expansion, said City Councilwoman Regina Romero. Grand Canyon officials could not be reached for comment.

"When they asked us what site, we offered them the El Rio golf course," Romero said. "I think it's a really great opportunity to bring in high-paying jobs and economic development."

El Rio opened in the 1930s and was the original home to Tucson's annual PGA tournament. The city took it over as a municipal course in 1968.

Last fall, the City Council voted to consider converting El Rio into a hybrid nine-hole course and park if a private management group couldn't be found to run the city's golf courses. The city is still in the process of reviewing proposals.

Although early in the negotiations, Romero said, the city has identified some of the things it would like to see from the university in any deal.

Among the things the city is requesting are bike and pedestrian paths connecting to west-side parks, money for necessary infrastructure improvements at Murrieta Park and public access to the university's intramural sports fields.

"I am making sure it is going to be good experience with the neighbors and their needs. First and foremost, we want some gates down," Romero said. "We want that access for the neighbors. … We are going to look for those things to show a tangible infrastructure-win for the neighborhood."

An agreement would mean the end of golf at El Rio because the university plans would require the entire 109 acres.

A potential roadblock to any deal would be what would happen with the First Tee program.

The Tucson Conquistadores, which sponsor the First Tee program, signed a 15-year lease with the city and put about $1 million of improvements into El Rio for the youth golf program. Several years still remain on the contract.

Councilman Steve Kozachik said the city shouldn't be breaking contracts just because a better deal came along.

"We have a contract with the Conquistadores, and we need to honor that," Kozachik said. "It might not be illegal to break it, but it certainly would be in bad faith."

Assistant City Manager Albert Elias said while it's still early in the negotiations, one thing is for certain: It would be a boon for the city.

"We're excited," Elias said. "It's a great economic development opportunity and educational opportunity, and both are important to this community."

Grand Canyon has about 24,000 student attending at its Phoenix campus. It hopes to open a second campus in the fall of 2014 with 1,000 students and 250 employees. Once built out in 2020, the campus could have up to 6,000 students and 1,000 employees.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComplotDesigner View Post
Update from 050513

My God! Just passed by that development, it's much nicer if you see it face to face. This design dominates the area! Can't wait to see Park Ave and Hub finished. Can't go wrong with Chicago developers.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritarancher View Post
I second that RRancher! I used to live in those 'historic' houses ... let me just say it requires a lot of maintenance plus some houses don't have enough wattage to plug in your microware, TV and computer at the same time.

I saw this video from AZPM .... I think Chris Gans ( president of the West University Neighborhood Assoc.) is AN IDIOT. Hear that Chris!?

EDIT: More housing development has started at downtown westside. I believe those are the high end apartments promised years ago (besides the Sentinel Plaza). I have a personal interest with this development...according to the developer, the walls will be made of stone plus it's besides I-10. And seems that street car tracks are done in this area, Menlo Park.

Last edited by farmerk; May 8, 2013 at 2:53 PM.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznate27 View Post
Looks like the Pioneer Building Downtown was finally able to get some of that empty space filled. It isn't a very good article, doesn't say how much of the building was leased or what floors. But since it had pretty high vacancy levels, I see this as good news. The lower the occupancy for office space downtown, the better the chance of new office space, maybe a new high-rise getting built in the near future.

Non-profit, Collaborative Workspace Gangplank Finds New Home Downtown

Gangplank Tucson invites the community to celebrate the grand re-opening of their new collaborative workspace located Downtown in the historic Pioneer Building at 100 N. Stone Ave., Suite 110, on Wednesday, May 22 from 5:30pm-9:30pm....
GP is in the first (ground) floor space that was part of Pima County Graphic Services department before it moved, with entry from the main lobby and the Pennington Street side. Another part of the PCGS space has been converted to a conference room and a bike storage space with two showers to make it a more attractive overall space.

Last edited by ppdd; May 8, 2013 at 4:56 PM.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerk View Post
I second that RRancher! I used to live in those 'historic' houses ... let me just say it requires a lot of maintenance plus some houses don't have enough wattage to plug in your microware, TV and computer at the same time.

I saw this video from AZPM .... I think Chris Gans ( president of the West University Neighborhood Assoc.) is AN IDIOT. Hear that Chris!?

EDIT: More housing development has started at downtown westside. I believe those are the high end apartments promised years ago (besides the Sentinel Plaza). I have a personal interest with this development...according to the developer, the walls will be made of stone plus it's besides I-10. And seems that street car tracks are done in this area, Menlo Park.
Are you talking about the new apartments that are supposed to be built next to the six story senior housing? Would be cool if they are starting that one. I think it was supposed to be started around this time.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 5:04 PM

Just as a reply to RitaRancher, in regards to where students want to be living. I agree, all of these new and very cool highrise projects are where students want to be living now. However, I disagree that West University is a failed neighborhood. Yes there are vocal residents who are screaming and whining about changing demographics and development. It's pretty much the situation in any big college town, I live in Austin, and yeah, we've got high rise development near the UT campus, and a lot of old neighborhoods close by. Student organization groups, frats/sororities, and students are occupying a lot of those houses. But so are families, albeit a little further away from the immediate campus area.. It's better for the neighborhood to BE more owner occupied than rental. Tucsons historic neighborhoods are one thing that make the city great, but overzealous aged hippie NIMBY types are going to have to realize they can't wall themselves off either. You live near a university, this kind of development is going to occur...either high density living options, or a lot of retail. Or both. Be glad your city isn't stagnating, Chris Gans....have another belt of Geratol.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 5:40 PM

On an unrelated note, I did want to say hello to all of the cool people on this forum. I'm from Austin, but have always loved Tucson, and have always enjoyed watching it grow. I've been enjoying this forum for several months now, getting a feel for it. And have enjoyed the debates and conversations, there are truly some smart people on here. I will say, I disagree, but respectfully so, with RitaRancher about 4th avenue in Tucson. That is one of the things that make Tucson distinct, cool and different. If you want to live where there's bland mass produced suburban schlock, you could go anywhere in Phoenix, or Las Vegas and find that to your hearts content. What kind of people do you want to attract to your city? You've mentioned Austin a lot, but have you actually been here? If all you think of, in terms of Austin is all the crop of new highrises that have popped up, you're missing the point. I love them too, but there's a lot more to Austins downtown, and the entire city itself than that. I love what's happening in Tucson, I like to think of it as Austin in the Desert. Same kinda atmosphere, same kind of cool. It's a tightrope walk between the authentic and original, and the slick/cool/highrise/new development. Don't bash everything that's old, in favor of boring/bland suburbia. Tucson should not have to look like bland anywheresville to be growing and happening.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinBear View Post
On an unrelated note, I did want to say hello to all of the cool people on this forum. I'm from Austin, but have always loved Tucson, and have always enjoyed watching it grow. I've been enjoying this forum for several months now, getting a feel for it. And have enjoyed the debates and conversations, there are truly some smart people on here. I will say, I disagree, but respectfully so, with RitaRancher about 4th avenue in Tucson. That is one of the things that make Tucson distinct, cool and different. If you want to live where there's bland mass produced suburban schlock, you could go anywhere in Phoenix, or Las Vegas and find that to your hearts content. What kind of people do you want to attract to your city? You've mentioned Austin a lot, but have you actually been here? If all you think of, in terms of Austin is all the crop of new highrises that have popped up, you're missing the point. I love them too, but there's a lot more to Austins downtown, and the entire city itself than that. I love what's happening in Tucson, I like to think of it as Austin in the Desert. Same kinda atmosphere, same kind of cool. It's a tightrope walk between the authentic and original, and the slick/cool/highrise/new development. Don't bash everything that's old, in favor of boring/bland suburbia. Tucson should not have to look like bland anywheresville to be growing and happening.
Totally agree that it's important for a city to have its own identity. I've never been to Austin - have a few friends that live there - but everything I've ever seen, read, or heard about it, it looks great. I always say that I could never live in Texas (way too conservative for me - but then again, so is AZ), but if I had to I'd want to live in Austin. I for sure want to visit there sometime. I've been to many big cities all over the country and the best ones had their own identity - New Orleans for sure (the food, culture, architecture), San Francisco (again food and culture), Seattle, New York City, Chicago. I've been to Phoenix (of course) and Vegas, but they have no real character - no charm. Vegas doesn't even seem real to me. I want growth, for sure, but I like having a city with funky little places to go to that give it that character that every city should have. I want artists and musicians to want to come here. I want little holes in the wall cafes and restaurants and record stores and clothing stores to go to. It's nice to have Frys and Walmarts (well not Walmart, I hate Walmart) ever few blocks. It's convenient in the outlying areas, but the downtown and central core should try to build up and have locally owned, niche stores to give the area its own charm.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick S View Post
I've been to Phoenix (of course) and Vegas, but they have no real character - no charm.
I like reading about some of the developments in Tucson...especially useful when I have to be in Tucson and when I watch the Territorial Cup game there. That said, I think Tucson could learn much about urban development from Tempe and Phoenix; especially doing it in an urban, desert environment. After all, Phoenix's Roosevelt Row was recently called one of the 10 best neighborhoods in the country (Happening hub for art, food)...along with Austin's East Side.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...d-yet/2078741/

Of course Phoenix's suburbs are no more interesting than Tucson's or Vegas' (or Austin's, for that matter), but it's time to start looking at the state's truly dynamic neighborhoods and using them as a basis for what can be done in once were considered dead zones. It's not in a desert environment, but one of my favorite streets/areas in Arizona is the contiguous blocks of historic buildings, galleries, bars, restaurants, and shops in Flagstaff along Aspen St. ( you can add San Francisco St to that). It is the mountain town's unique version of Mill Ave.

Last edited by phxSUNSfan; May 9, 2013 at 3:27 AM.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 3:28 AM

Fourth Ave. getting two new restaurants by fall
Cathalena E. Burch Arizona Daily Star

Two new restaurants are springing up on North Fourth Avenue this fall, and both will be housed in buildings with long Tucson histories.

• The old Coronado Hotel downtown, 402 E. Ninth St. at North Fourth Avenue, is about to get a corner diner again. Sally Kane and her business partner, Gregor Kretschmann, will open a European-style cafe in the small space in the fall.

• Tucson architect and restaurateur Jason Anderson is eyeing a pair of old brick buildings at 201 N. Fourth Ave. for a new venture he plans to call Hudson. Planning is in the preliminary stages, so Anderson is not quite sure what shape the menu will take, although he’s leaning toward smoked and rotisserie meats.

Anderson, who also has the popular Umi Star Asian fusion restaurant, hopes to be open by late November.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest