HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 11, 2018, 2:07 PM

Brought this over from the Salt Lake thread, where they were posting prolifically about it. Reading some of the posts it would almost seem as if many are unaware of the major ongoing cleanup of the carp, which are the major historical issue. That cleanup is beginning to show some excellent results now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
I have mixed feelings about this project... I also like the ambition of this project although, I agree it makes it very unrealistic.
However, I don't want the lake to become criss crossed with causways like the Great Salt Lake. I think the island being proposed looks much too large. I would prefer most of the lake remain natural as it was before it became polluted.

I agree RC14. Criss crossing the lake with causeways would be a big and visually ugly mistake. As the population of the Wasatch Front grows the Lake will become an extremely valuable recreation resource. Also, the shoreline value will only continue to climb into the stratosphere. They don't need to stick an island in the middle of the Lake in order to fund its continuing clean up. A lot of progress is already being made to resolve its major reasons for decline this past century. As everyone knows the major issue has been the carp population. Carp have destroyed the natural lake bottom vegetation and habitat. Here's a link to one of the more recent 2017 articles about the ongoing effort and success in removing the carp issue.

Regarding algae blooms, which is the other major issue. Algae blooms are a nation wide problem. It would seem the major culprit is a result of the waste water treatment plants release into the lake of treated waste water. The good news is a lot of heads are involved on a national level to resolve the problem.

After many years, Utah Lake's carp removal project starting to see some desired results

Katie England, Daily Herald - http://www.heraldextra.com/news/loca...23385f3af.html

...Vegetation monitoring has been a part of the project all along, and for years none of the desired type of plants were found. “That all changed last spring when we went out and started to find some of these submerged vegetation beds out in the lake,” Mills said...

...More than 25 million pounds of removed carp and $4.9 million later, biologists are already beginning to see some of those desired results — including the return of vegetation crucial to the June suckers’ continued survival.
The original goal was to remove 5 million pounds of carp each year in order to reduce the population enough for the vegetation to come back, said Mike Mills, coordinator for the June sucker recovery program. Though the 5 million per year goal has never quite been reached, the density of the carp population in the lake has dropped drastically...
...Carp are responsible for that lack of habitat because of the way they feed off the bottom of the lake. They tear up the bottom as they feed, destroying the underwater plant life, like pond weed and duck weed that provide refuge habitat for young June suckers...
...Vegetation monitoring has been a part of the project all along, and for years none of the desired type of plants were found. “That all changed last spring when we went out and started to find some of these submerged vegetation beds out in the lake,” Mills said...

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 9:17 AM

I'm all for continued restoration of the lake, but how is an inhabited artificial island in the middle of it going to help with that?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 11:05 AM

You've got me bob. Perhaps, they think there would be a lot of profit generated from the sale and development of the land, plus taxes etc. I would much rather the lake be dredged of 40 to 80 feet of silt in different areas, making a good portion of it much deeper. I know in the past they've had serious discussion about dredging it, but the cost can be prohibitive. I think the decision was to wait until the population of the metro increased to the point that it could support a major dredging effort. A Lake like Utah Lake in the middle of a major metro area can become a huge multiple multi-billion dollar resource.

A while ago I was over on the west side, around the new housing areas of Saratoga Springs. The views looking back at the Lake, Timp. and the Wasatch were breathtaking.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 12:45 PM

Just in case any of you guys who frequent this thread regularly, but not the SLC Thread, we are discussing bringing a small number of the threads together. I started this particular thread, and would have no problem with bringing it under the Provo Thread. We could have Viperlord simply rename the Provo Thread to something like the "Provo MSA Development Thread" I would be more than happy to bring much of the Ut. Valley info. over onto the newly named Provo MSA Thread, since this forum is one of my more involved hobbies. Anyway, don't worry about losing valuable Ut. Valley/Lehi info. I'm a BIG proponent of Utah Valley development, particularly Northern Utah Valley, where I grew up.

Another aspect that I would like you guys to help me out with. How many of you are BYU or UVU students right now? Or have, and are still maintaining close contact with the schools and or professors. I'm particularly interested in talking with those professors who are very involved in the aspects of urban planning for Utah Valley. I would like to recruit them as forum members, and also have them request that their students maintain an active presence for say the duration of their semester in that particular class. Also, I will be talking with reporters such as Genelle Pugmire of the Herald, and trying to recruit people such as her, who report regularly on Valley developments. It just makes so much sense to have these people involved. After all they're as big or bigger development nerds than we are...LOL.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
You've got me bob. Perhaps, they think there would be a lot of profit generated from the sale and development of the land, plus taxes etc. I would much rather the lake be dredged of 40 to 80 feet of silt in different areas, making a good portion of it much deeper. I know in the past they've had serious discussion about dredging it, but the cost can be prohibitive. I think the decision was to wait until the population of the metro increased to the point that it could support a major dredging effort. A Lake like Utah Lake in the middle of a major metro area can become a huge multiple multi-billion dollar resource.

A while ago I was over on the west side, around the new housing areas of Saratoga Springs. The views looking back at the Lake, Timp. and the Wasatch were breathtaking.
The Lake is crazy shallow like 6-8 feet for much of it. Where does all that mud and rock go. How do you preserve the shoreline after dredging? Artificial islands. Honestly it would probably be cheaper to dredge and keep the material in the lake rather than haul it out. Then if you sale that land you can recuperate costs of dredging. I honestly don't think it's that pie in the sky or even a bad idea but it still will never happen.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Wellsian View Post
The Lake is crazy shallow like 6-8 feet for much of it. Where does all that mud and rock go. How do you preserve the shoreline after dredging? Artificial islands. Honestly it would probably be cheaper to dredge and keep the material in the lake rather than haul it out. Then if you sale that land you can recuperate costs of dredging. I honestly don't think it's that pie in the sky or even a bad idea but it still will never happen.
Well I get the idea of artificial islands. But why put residential developments on it? What is the point? Is that only to recoup the cost? Wouldn't that just dramatically increase the chances of harming the natural environment of the lake again? There's a good reason why Antelope Island has been closed off to development.

Also, any kind of causeway just seems like a terrible idea.

Sure, dredge the lake and put some artificial islands in. But keep the islands free of development and leave causeways out of it.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 4:39 AM

University Place

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 1:25 PM

^^^
I like how it turned out. A nice statement for that busy corner of the Metro. What do you think Orlando?

Okay, so it looks like they removed the Provo Thread. I hadn't made an official request yet, but that's cool that they went ahead and made a speedy fix. Now, could someone remind me where to access the removed Provo Thread, so I can bring the pertinent info. over to this thread. Also, would like to change the name of the Utah Valley Thread to something like: Any different suggestions than below???

Please make your opinions know ASAP, and let's get this step done. I'm looking forward to a very vibrant, active Provo MSA Thread. After all, Provo is one of a handful of the fastest growing MSA's on the entire North American Continent!

Provo/Utah Valley MSA Updates

Last edited by delts145; Jan 21, 2018 at 2:02 PM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 4:39 PM

I like the dynamic expression of this design. I really like the second image. I'm not sure what to think of how the building straddles over a one story base. Check out some of the other interiors stuff. Sick!

If they are going to combine the threads, I agree that the Utah Valley thread's name should incorporate Provo into it.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 11:52 PM

Innovation Pointe

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 12:21 AM

Adobe expansion

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 3:51 PM

I don't recall us having covered this new building on the UVU Campus...Very Nice...

UTAH VALLEY UNIVERSITY AUTISM CENTER - The Cole Nellesen Building
The three primary functional objectives for this learning center include: educate the community about autism, train the teachers of autistic children, and provide a state-of-the-art, safe learning environments for autistic children. The building had to be visible to the community, easy to find, and be open and inviting.

DATE : 2017 CLIENT : Utah Valley University and DFCM CONSTRUCTION COST : $4,915,340 SIZE : 15,088 s.f. LOCATION : Orem, Utah

https://www.cmautah.com/wp-content/

http://bwpcommunications.com/

http://bwpcommunications.com/

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 8:06 PM

I wasn't able to find the previous Provo Thread in the archives. Cottonwood also tried to find it for us, but was unsuccessful. Looks like one of the moderators swooped in and deleted it completely instead of archiving it. Unbelievable!!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2018, 5:01 PM

Orem approves rezone, makes way for student housing project

Quote:
OREM, Utah (AP) — A Utah city has approved a rezone that would clear the path for a new state-of-the-art student housing project.

The Daily Herald reports Orem City Council voted Tuesday in favor of the Palos Verdes student housing project, a one-of-a-kind multi-unit project offering four bedrooms, four bathroom apartments to be built just east of Utah Valley University.

The Southwest Orem Neighborhood Association, or SWONA, is against the rezone.

SWONA members have indicated if the council were to approve the zone change, they would begin a petition drive to put it on the ballot as a referendum.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46262204&ni...ousing-project

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 5:52 AM
VeGAINS

Hey guys, seeing as I couldn't find a satellite BRT map I decided to overlay the official BRT plan maps to give more clarity on where each station will be located:

A few notes:
-In order to maximize ridership, there should definitely be a station at the intersection of University Parkway and University Avenue. Let's hope they decide to add it in the future.
-A couple stations are already being constructed. Most notably 400 W, Main Street, and 400 E from what I've noticed thus far.
-I'm very curious how stations will be implemented in areas where there aren't dedicated lanes. Will there still be covered stations on the side of the road? I haven't seen much yet.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2018, 9:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highrise_Mike View Post
It has been a while since I have posted, but I have to share a project that was just approved in Lehi. I didn't see that there was a Utah County page anymore so hopefully this is the right place to post!

Perry Commercial is going to start construction on a 9-story office building near the Mountain Point Medical center. It is definitely a move in the right direction and it is located near one of the planned Trax stations. The city is working on a master transit plan in hopes to better plan for Trax and hopefully work towards an extension sooner than the current 2035-2040 plan, and part of the plan would be to have better transit supportive land uses.

Here are some renderings:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ux0Y8YzjBh4S1xr43

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Wt0isD3TPezoLuQB3

https://photos.app.goo.gl/efOu2Jtgd3mMq4tt2

Imagery source: Perry Commercial

Last edited by delts145; Feb 24, 2018 at 10:02 AM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 6:21 PM

Maybe the development island in Utah Lake proposal wasn't so hair brained after all. If it actually led to a major dredging of the Lake I'd be all for it.

Lawmaker proposes bill allowing Utah Lake land to be exchanged for conservation projects

Katie England, Daily Herald
https://www.heraldextra.com/news/loc...ccabe2afd.html

...Mike McKell, R-Spanish Fork, has proposed House Bill 272 that would allow for the state, which owns the lake bed, to transfer “appropriately available state land in and around Utah Lake” to private entities in exchange for projects that would offer significant restoration benefits to the lake.

In order to be approved for such a transfer, the entity would have to prove that the restoration project would accomplish one of a myriad of restoration goals, from restoring the clarity and quality of the lake water, to removing invasive plant or animal species like phragmites and carp, or maximize, enhance and ensure recreational access and opportunities on Utah Lake.

McKell referred to it as a public-private partnership, and said it’s the type of out-of-the-box thinking necessary to address the lake’s needs.

“The estimates I’ve seen to clean up the lake are $6 to 7 billion,” McKell said. “We can’t foot that bill as a state.”...

Evan Cobb, Daily Herald

Last edited by delts145; Oct 4, 2018 at 10:51 AM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 6:53 PM

Orem - New UVU student housing waiting for thumbs up from city council

Genelle Pugmire, Daily Herald

https://www.heraldextra.com/news/loc...543b38b24.html

The apartments are a joint effort with PEG Development and Woodbury Corporation.
The development includes 450 units, providing single occupant bedrooms and bathrooms for four to six residents in each unit, or 1,605 beds.

Courtesy PEG Development and Woodbury Corporation

Old Posted Feb 25, 2018, 7:15 PM

Eagle Mountain - First Looks at the new Eagle Mountain High School

Braley Dodson, Daily Herald - https://www.heraldextra.com/news/loc...8b00457de.html

...The school will have the same layout as Skyridge High School in Lehi.

Construction crews have been focusing on classrooms and putting in insulation as walls are being put up brick by brick.

The project is currently on schedule.

“The weather has been great for the timeline,” said Kraig Sweat, the construction supervisor for Alpine School District...

Evan Cobb, Daily Herald

http://i84005.com/

https://i.ytimg.com/ Construction is underway for the new high school in Eagle Mountain for Alpine School District. The school is set to be completed in 2018 and open for the 2019-2020 school year.

Last edited by delts145; Feb 25, 2018 at 7:49 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 2:00 PM

Adobe breaks ground on $90 million, second office in Lehi

Art Raymond - March 7th, 2018 - The Deseret News

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...e-in-lehi.html

LEHI — Software giant Adobe broke ground Wednesday on a project that represents a literal doubling-down of the company's investment in Utah, and it's one that's slated to have sizable impacts on the state's economy for years to come.

The company dug the first shovel full of earth on a $90 million facility that will, when it opens in two years, be home to 1,000 new employees. The building will be adjacent its seven-year-old Lehi facility off I-15 and will have much the same eye-catching appeal. It will also be the source of an estimated $2.3 billion in new wages and over $85 million in state corporate, payroll and sales taxes over the next 20 years.

Rendering of Adobe's new facility to be built adjacent to its office in Lehi. The $90 million project is slated for completion in 2020 and will be home to 1,000 new employees.

Adobe employees throw dirt during the groundbreaking ceremony for a new building in Lehi on Wednesday, March 7, 2018.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West