HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 6:50 PM

To be honest, I don't mind that the Waterview tower was canceled. sure the height would have been nice, but the buildings massing gives me more New York City vibes. 111W Wacker while more generic is a better fit for Chicago and for that site.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
To be honest, I don't mind that the Waterview tower was canceled. sure the height would have been nice, but the buildings massing gives me more New York City vibes. 111W Wacker while more generic is a better fit for Chicago and for that site.
I disagree most of the new towers along the river have sort of a elegant glassy look, Waterview Tower would of looked nicely along the river. Along the lake its either old, classy, 'OG' towers or, nice glassy towers. But yes this would fit in NYC though it would fit in Chicago too.

Last edited by 230Roberto; Feb 19, 2018 at 7:21 PM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 7:03 PM

210 N Carpenter

Feb 5

Feb 7

Feb 12

Feb 17

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 7:09 PM

It would be cool if one day that section of the West Loop around the tracks has a small canyon effect as you're riding through it of 10+ story buildings. I like what that shot shows from 210 N Carpenter.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 8:31 PM

210 N Green

Jan 26

Feb 2

Feb 12

Feb 17

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 9:31 PM

375 N Morgan

Feb 17

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 10:18 PM

Seems like Hoxton is moving so much more slowly than 210 N Carpenter even though Hoxton started way before.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 11:03 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
I think he's referring to the dead end piece of Ogden that runs next to the townhomes, N of Clybourn. Right now it's pretty much a driveway for the school.
The drawing seems to show it widened and connected to Blackhawk W of Larabee, which right now is just a sidewalk.
Yes, this is called for in the CHA's master plan for the area to connect Schiller (Eastman)/Ogden to Blackhawk. We'll see if we get a real street connection or just a pedestrian connection, but the previous Cabrini developments by Holsten truly did restore the grid.

Master Plan
https://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/...04/Page-24.png

Quote:
I don't really see this as "reintegration of the street grid" so much as a bypass for the North Clybourn intersection.
I mean... isn't that basically the same thing? Cutting new streets through the superblock pattern can help alleviate traffic, but it also provides more options to pedestrians and cyclists, and breaks down the psychological barriers between neighborhoods. It's not like they're proposing some suburban connector road, this will presumably be built to CDOT street standard with full sidewalks, trees, lighting.

This new street in particular could be a good pedestrian link to the Sedgwick stop on the Brown Line.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 12:08 AM

My friend took a picture for me today of the high rise going up at Halsted & Van Buren. Looks 7 or 8 floors up of 12 total. No glass yet that I could see.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wchicity View Post
Seems like Hoxton is moving so much more slowly than 210 N Carpenter even though Hoxton started way before.
210 N Carpenter has absolutely flown. Very impressive considering the relatively large floorplates. It looks huge in Harry's photos

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 6:04 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
I think he's referring to the dead end piece of Ogden that runs next to the townhomes, N of Clybourn. Right now it's pretty much a driveway for the school.
You are correct!

Quote:
The drawing seems to show it widened and connected to Blackhawk W of Larabee, which right now is just a sidewalk.
I don't really see this as "reintegration of the street grid" so much as a bypass for the North Clybourn intersection.
Isn't that what an integrated street grid does? Bypass streets via connections to other streets?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 7:11 AM

Greektown is a complete transformation from my UIC years 10 years ago. And i dont see them slowing down antime soon. But for all that is holy please dont get rid of Mr. Greeks.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2018, 9:55 PM

Cabrini proposal is certainly an improvement over the existing conditions. That park space may be something special depending on what happens with the strip mall at North.

I wonder why the one-story brick building staying. The buyout can't be anything substantial. The parcel it occupies is effectively useless now. I'm sure the developer would be willing to work with them to get them into a retail space further north on Clybourn. What even goes on in that building? It's four windowless walls and a door...

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 1:05 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
Greektown is a complete transformation from my UIC years 10 years ago. And i dont see them slowing down antime soon. But for all that is holy please dont get rid of Mr. Greeks.
Mr. Greeks has powered me through many a midterms and finals week back in the day. It should be a city landmark.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 1:08 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Cabrini proposal is certainly an improvement over the existing conditions. That park space may be something special depending on what happens with the strip mall at North.

I wonder why the one-story brick building staying. The buyout can't be anything substantial. The parcel it occupies is effectively useless now. I'm sure the developer would be willing to work with them to get them into a retail space further north on Clybourn. What even goes on in that building? It's four windowless walls and a door...
Wow, I actually completely overlooked that. I thought it was a part of the tower's podium in that development. Yeah, that is odd. Maybe the owner(s) didn't want to sell? If so, I wonder if they ended up buying the air rights to secure the views for the southeast facing units?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 1:25 AM

Totally off topic but I was just looking back at the Spire and old Plans they had to cover up the hole. I just realized that Chicago will probably have the tallest tower in the U.S by 2025. Kinda cool if you really think about it

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 1:33 PM

THE VanBuren - 808 W VanBuren

Jan 27

Feb 17

Post Tension - tidying up the loose ends.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 1:59 PM

Nobu Hotel - Paused

Jan 26

Feb 17

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 3:43 PM
Development Shill

I didn't think Nobu nor 808 were highrises... Wrong thread? Great pics as always

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
I didn't think Nobu nor 808 were highrises... Wrong thread? Great pics as always
From Curbed

Nobu
Quote:
After a handful of delays, Chicago’s 12-story Nobu Hotel
THE VanBuren
Quote:
Status: Under construction This 12-story transit-oriented apartment development at the corner of Van Buren and Halsted
IIRC the cut-off is 11 stories.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations