HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 11:25 AM
of Gnomeregan

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventwenty View Post
Bobg, are these renderings and links part of the plans you viewed? I must admit I'm ignorant on the Westminster Station plan. Combining that ignorance with the Denver Post's rendering and statement that "40 acres of park and open space next to what will be the city's first commuter rail stop" didn't strike me as being in the same league as Englewood, Arapahoe Square, Broadway, DUS, Mineral or similar stations.

If the link I posted in this comment is indeed part of the Westminster Station plans, then some of my hesitation will be diminished.

Note: This link in particular provides an aerial view of the plan at the end. Here's the tl;dr screenshot:

Provides a substantially different context than this image:

That looks really nice.. and look how there are direct walking routes from most possible entrance points in the space from the future development to the northeast. There is very little likelihood that the city will be forced to post a sign lamenting the tragic death of innocent blades of grass due to the batman villian-like herbicidal evil of pedestrians daring to efficiently travel from point A to point B like they've been forced to do (with bodies racked with sobs for the poor plant victims I'm sure) at Riverfront park.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainpathology View Post
That looks really nice.. and look how there are direct walking routes from most possible entrance points in the space from the future development to the northeast. There is very little likelihood that the city will be forced to post a sign lamenting the tragic death of innocent blades of grass due to the batman villian-like herbicidal evil of pedestrians daring to efficiently travel from point A to point B like they've been forced to do (with bodies racked with sobs for the poor plant victims I'm sure) at Riverfront park.
Hahaha well said
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 5:36 PM

Brainpathology has his game on today!

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 9:14 PM
of Gnomeregan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Brainpathology has his game on today!
Have you seen the sign there? What I said was a literal translation from sign information language to English.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 2:44 AM

I think it was seventwenty who came up with the final piece that allowed me to wrap my brain around the 5% income - 2% kicker to transportation and how TABOR intersected that provision.

As it stands transportation is due an additional $204 million but the presumption is that the final revenue figures will mean TABOR will cut that in half.

My kind of gal, Kelly Brough, president and CEO of the Denver Metro Chamber of Commerce has found a big pot of free money. Woot woot.
Ed Sealover of DBJ has the story HERE.
Quote:
But she and others believe there is a pot of money that could be removed from the general fund that would reduce or eliminate those refunds and sure up highways and bridges.

That pot is the hospital provider fee, a program created in 2009 that charges hospitals for each night a bed is occupied by a patient and uses the revenue to fund expansion of eligibility for the state Medicaid program.

That fee brings in roughly $600 million per year that is counted against the TABOR cap and uses it to secure a 2-to-1 match in federal funding that provides another $1.2 billion for the state that doesn’t count against the cap.
The reasoning?
Quote:
Brough argues that the hospital provider fee does not belong in the general fund... Under the law, she points out, the provider fee comes from a specific group of taxpayers and must be used for a specific purpose — expanding Medicaid eligibility — rather than in whatever way legislators see fit.

Because of the spending limitations, legislators could remove all of that provider-fee revenue from the general fund and place it in an enterprise fund that limits the use of certain fees for certain purposes
But has this ever been done before?
Quote:
Fees placed on motor-vehicle registrations through another 2009 bill, for example, go to a transportation fund that allows them only to be used for road and bridge repairs and transit options.
That Kelly Brough is sharp.
Quote:
“We think most Coloradans agree that investments to maintain our roads and bridges are critical to the state right now,” she said. “And we don’t think that a transfer formula that could be triggered should wipe that money out.”

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 1:28 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Wait what am I being cited for?

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Light rail subways aren't that rare. I mean, most US light rail systems don't have them, but a solid minority do. San Francisco, Boston, Philadelphia, and Seattle have very significant ones, Baltimore is planning a big one, and a few other cities like Portland and Dallas have a station or two.
...and Denver has two light rail tunnels at Simms/Union and I-70 on the W line.

BTW, WMATA and Moody's quite the pair.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 2:03 AM
Aspiring Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
...and Denver has two light rail tunnels at Simms/Union and I-70 on the W line.

BTW, WMATA and Moody's quite the pair.
Don't forget the other one underneath Colorado Blvd on the southeast line! The Lone Tree extension and downtown station is also supposed to a subway.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 4:04 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Oh yeah, if you include stuff like that then a lot of additional cities would surely get on the light rail subway list. I guess in my head to qualify, a city needs at least 1 subway station. But I suppose that's just me.

As for WMATA: Basketcase. They have some legit funding problems (there is NO dedicated revenue stream), exacerbated by a "shut up and trust us" corporate culture that just serves to make everyone hate them all the more. Serious problems there.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 4:38 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Oh hey, on the topic of what to name Denver's rapid transit network, check out Hartford, CT's new BRT line:

from peb me on flickr

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 7:44 PM

^ Very interesting. Not as cool as the Flatiron Flyer though.

Courtesy of bouldercolorado.gov

Soo... TomTom says we're only 22nd? That's not so bad.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 6:47 PM

Wow - So it's true

"Denver airport 'confirms' conspiracy theories: Secret 'underground network for New World Order' "
#DIABunker

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 7:30 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

DAMN IT, TAKE FIVE! I wanted to post that news first.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 7:39 PM

Actually, from your link this is quite good:
Quote:
Welcome to the underground network at Denver International Airport (DIA), a private site for our “elite” New World Order travelers who value privacy and exclusivity. Our state-of-the-art underground network includes world-class accommodations and services. We invite you to explore our amenities, which no other bunker within the New World network can match. Every touch, from the advanced biometric entrances to our pampering massage services, are all designed to provide you with the best in clandestine travel experiences.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 8:11 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Oh my goodness, this is perfect. That what line? Love the logo for it.

Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 8:49 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

OMG SECRET NAZI AIRPORT!

How was this never on YTMND back in the early days of the series of tubes?

EDIT: Oh it was. College me is very happy right now.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 4:54 PM

RyanD... Wanna ride the A Line? Yes, it's so

courtesy of

"Denver squeaks into top 10 for transportation affordability..."
Apr 2, 2015 by Caitlin Hendee, Denver Business Journal
Quote:
Denver metro residents fork out about 49 percent of their annual income to housing and transportation costs, making access to public transit and nearby jobs a key factor to affordability.

"Compact and dynamic neighborhoods with walkable streets and high access to jobs, transit and a wide variety of businesses are more efficient, affordable and sustainable," national research firm CNT said about Denver's standing in the Index.
Just a guess that 2017 will be a really big year of accolades for Denver - transit.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 6:11 PM

A TOD update? Sure thing!

per arvada.org

According to oldetownarvada.org/:
Quote:
Construction is underway for Park Place Olde Town, an new 153 unit apartment at the corner of Ralston Road and Wadsworth Bypass. It is expected to be opening in about a year. The pre-leasing process will begin soon.
Additionally
Quote:
The Flour Mill Lot will is closed permanently and work on the parking garage is underway. It is expected that construction will take until June, 2016.
I'm thinking of moving to Olde Town. I wouldn't want to be too close to RyanD but this way we could wave from our respective commuter train cars.

per shutterstock.com

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 4:45 PM

Quote:
RTD's new commuter rail cars are set for their maiden voyage to DIA

"The first two electric commuter rail cars that will be used on major portions of Denver's RTD rail transit network will start their maiden voyage to Denver International Airport on Friday morning."

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/bl...r.html?ana=twt
choo choo!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 6:16 PM
ColoRADo

^ RTD photo to accompany the article:

Source: RTD Twitter Feed

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West