HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 27, 2015, 6:56 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
This does not bode well...
As others have noted, the developer is Jennifer (nee James) Pritzker, who has been responsible for leading the renovations of various historic buildings around town. No expense was spared in restoring the Monroe Club to its original state, for example.

I'm sure these townhomes will have a very convincing historic look - no split-face block or jumbo brick here. I'm sure Laurence Booth will do this one right.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 2:48 AM
devout Pizzatarian

I moved the discussion of the possible 50 story grant park Vinoly skyscraper to the Chicago highrise project thread.

Please continue the discussion there: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=159437

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 3:20 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
There's also a proposal for a 300+ unit, 35 story building in the parking lot of the US Bank across from Bush.
Yes, as a reminder this is the Ryan Companies, Antunovich-designed (awkwardly might add, but for an Antunovich at least, we've all seen much worse) tower.....

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 3:25 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^. Those developments rock
They really do - this is some really great infill in-store for the near NW side........I like the redesign in particular of that 60 unit (although unfortunately down from 77) project......the aesthetics of the facade work much better I think with this new version.........the massing, on the other hand, I thought was fine in the previous version and probably preferred it (7 story height all the way to the east and west edges of building/property line), but of course this - and DENSITY!!! - were the neighbors' complaints.....but since we get this architecture improvement, in the end I suppose it's an acceptable compromise......

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 3:29 PM
you know where I'll be

111 W Chestnut

RIP (although I'm sure it's long dead - not just something I'm realizing now) to that fantastic H+P-designed tower. One of my very favorite H+P designs, unfortunately of the 'never-built' variety........Hello retro-trash townhomes. I, unlike others here find little reason to have some sort of confidence or faith in Pritzker. It will be trashy faux nostalgic historicist bs, period. And, a tremendous waste of land to boot......at least it will be swamped by high-rises and mid-rises in the vicinity in coming years.....

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
As others have noted, the developer is Jennifer (nee James) Pritzker, who has been responsible for leading the renovations of various historic buildings around town. No expense was spared in restoring the Monroe Club to its original state, for example.

I'm sure these townhomes will have a very convincing historic look - no split-face block or jumbo brick here. I'm sure Laurence Booth will do this one right.
It's a relief to hear that Larry will be working on them. He and his crew do historically inspired homes quite well.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
It's a relief to hear that Larry will be working on them. He and his crew do historically inspired homes quite well.
I didn't realize that Booth Hansen was responsible for the second home you linked to. I really like that. Good call. Confidence restored.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 6:07 PM

I didn't either until I worked with a designer who furnished the interior. It's really sublimely proportioned and restrained, and the windows are articulated perfectly. It incorporates all of the great aspects of the Georgian style yet feels decidedly of its time--a really wonderful design.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2015, 10:12 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
They really do - this is some really great infill in-store for the near NW side........I like the redesign in particular of that 60 unit (although unfortunately down from 77) project......the aesthetics of the facade work much better I think with this new version.........the massing, on the other hand, I thought was fine in the previous version and probably preferred it (7 story height all the way to the east and west edges of building/property line), but of course this - and DENSITY!!! - were the neighbors' complaints.....but since we get this architecture improvement, in the end I suppose it's an acceptable compromise......
Those pics of some of the pending projects in the neighorhoods excite me because ever since the bust, the neighborhoods haven't gotten much love.

Sure, there has been infill condo development here and there, but nothing like the 1999-2008 period. Ever since the condo bust most of the action has been downtown.

I am really hoping that the cork is popping for another neighborhood boom. I miss the days in the early 2000's when I would be driving or walking around the neighborhoods seeing construction projects all over the place. It would be nice to get back to that, both on the north and south sides.

A recent decline in Chicago housing prices is not a good sign, but I think the fundamentals are still good--people still want to be in the city, interest rates are low, banks are lending again. Heck, just last week a large housing development for Tri-Taylor was about to get started. Seeing new contruction in the neighborhoods, particularly an off-the-beaten-path area like Tri-Taylor, is as good a sign as any that the city is back on track towards a major rebound.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 5:33 AM

I'm so excited for these townhouses!

I lived in New York and London and found myself so much more drawn to London because of its human scale. NYC is skyscraper canyons and overcrowding as a result of all those highrises. Even in London's densest neighborhoods (the West End, Westminster, Soho, etc), I found them to be so much more pleasant to walk around in and enjoy the built environment then the vast majority of Manhattan. I used to work on the Upper East Side and hated walking down the avenues (which are full of highrises) and would dart off to the streets where the townhouses and tree-lined streets felt refreshing and not as claustrophobic.

One of the things I love the most about Chicago is that it has the great feel of an American downtown (that being the Loop) in just one neighborhood, but it has so many great neighborhoods near downtown that have a mixture of building types (townhouses, small retail/commercial, lofts, mid-rises, highrises, etc). If that ever changes and downtown Chicago starts resembling (in terms of density) Midtown Manhattan or the Upper West Side or Grammercy, I don't think I'd spend any time there.

Just my thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 6:20 AM

The Trib is reporting that the Urban Outfitters on Rush and Walton is becoming a Dior flagship. It don't think it is mentioned in the article, but I heard Urban Outfitters will be anchoring the new development at the former Hunt Club at 1100 N. State.

The Urban Outfitters space was marketed as two storefronts and it is not clear how much Dior will be leasing, but it did not mention that the other two stores currently leasing space in that building would be vacating. Hopefully this means the structure will be saved. Hopefully Dior does a nice buildout.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...127-story.html

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 6:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottxxon View Post
The Trib is reporting that the Urban Outfitters on Rush and Walton is becoming a Dior flagship. It don't think it is mentioned in the article, but I heard Urban Outfitters will be anchoring the new development at the former Hunt Club at 1100 N. State.

The Urban Outfitters space was marketed as two storefronts and it is not clear how much Dior will be leasing, but it did not mention that the other two stores currently leasing space in that building would be vacating. Hopefully this means the structure will be saved. Hopefully Dior does a nice buildout.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...127-story.html
Yeah, it's been reported many times that they're moving into the new development at 1100 N State.

As far as Dior goes, I have a decently reliable source telling me that Dior actually wants to tear at least part of that building down, if not the entire thing, and build a new boutique over it. The Drawing Room and Back Room were underground there until the new year and they were kicked out as Dior wants nobody in their basement.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLibertine View Post
I'm so excited for these townhouses!

I lived in New York and London and found myself so much more drawn to London because of its human scale. NYC is skyscraper canyons and overcrowding as a result of all those highrises. Even in London's densest neighborhoods (the West End, Westminster, Soho, etc), I found them to be so much more pleasant to walk around in and enjoy the built environment then the vast majority of Manhattan. I used to work on the Upper East Side and hated walking down the avenues (which are full of highrises) and would dart off to the streets where the townhouses and tree-lined streets felt refreshing and not as claustrophobic.

One of the things I love the most about Chicago is that it has the great feel of an American downtown (that being the Loop) in just one neighborhood, but it has so many great neighborhoods near downtown that have a mixture of building types (townhouses, small retail/commercial, lofts, mid-rises, highrises, etc). If that ever changes and downtown Chicago starts resembling (in terms of density) Midtown Manhattan or the Upper West Side or Grammercy, I don't think I'd spend any time there.

Just my thoughts.
I find a few things interesting about your post. While NYC has many, many high rises, even in Manhattan there are many lowrises including row homes. Furthermore, when you get into the other boroughs, you find way more of this, especially in areas of Brooklyn and Queens.

I find it funny that people think that NYC is only Manhattan. Even then, there are many low rises in Manhattan

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 7:20 AM

I've started some maps for this year including a new type of one.

1) Conversions, rehabs/renovations, additions, etc --> https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...k.kyJajGMvzhcE

This one is new. New construction is cool, but what about renovations? additions? etc Not included in here are random deck/porch/garage renovations, alterations, or random 44th office building renovations to one tenant. Also note that numerous of these have multiple different types of work being done. For example, some may show black for renovation, but may also have an addition with it.

2) 2015 new construction permits (minus decks, porches, garages, etc) --> https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...k.kXSch1pWpvKw

Last edited by marothisu; Jan 29, 2015 at 7:46 AM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 1:21 PM
The City

Quote:
I've started some maps for this year including a new type of one.

1) Conversions, rehabs/renovations, additions, etc --> https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...k.kyJajGMvzhcE

This one is new. New construction is cool, but what about renovations? additions? etc Not included in here are random deck/porch/garage renovations, alterations, or random 44th office building renovations to one tenant. Also note that numerous of these have multiple different types of work being done. For example, some may show black for renovation, but may also have an addition with it.

2) 2015 new construction permits (minus decks, porches, garages, etc) --> https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...k.kXSch1pWpvKw
^ Nice work Marothisu. I think having a "rehabs and renovations" section for building permits is important for older cities like Chicago. In those lists of new construction permits that periodically pop up in the forums, Chicago is often underrepresented compared to sunbelt cities, and in part that is because of its older built environment. New rehabs of crumbling buildings deserves almost as much recognition as new construction in the conversation about the revitalization of our cities.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 3:37 PM
Windy City Dan

Anyone been by the Riverwalk lately. I haven't been able to get to that part of town in a couple of weeks and I'm dying to know how it's shaping up, especially the section with all the steps roughly in front of 111.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 4:06 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Yeah, it's been reported many times that they're moving into the new development at 1100 N State.

As far as Dior goes, I have a decently reliable source telling me that Dior actually wants to tear at least part of that building down, if not the entire thing, and build a new boutique over it. The Drawing Room and Back Room were underground there until the new year and they were kicked out as Dior wants nobody in their basement.
Dior is probably keen on doing something similar to Burberry's new 5-story flagship on Boul Mich, if they build something new - I think Burberry has been pretty successful since they opened theirs 2.5 years ago

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Dior is probably keen on doing something similar to Burberry's new 5-story flagship on Boul Mich, if they build something new - I think Burberry has been pretty successful since they opened theirs 2.5 years ago
Yeah. I'm pretty sure since it's Dior and one of the top fashion houses in the world, they want something that says "DIOR" down to the building. This is what I've heard from someone who would probably have a good idea. I will be surprised if they don't tear that building down or do major work to the exterior.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepidDesign View Post
Anyone been by the Riverwalk lately. I haven't been able to get to that part of town in a couple of weeks and I'm dying to know how it's shaping up, especially the section with all the steps roughly in front of 111.
The river walk website has a couple live construction cams, they also keep a fairly up-to-date photo gallery

Old Posted Jan 29, 2015, 4:33 PM
Windy City Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
The river walk website has a couple live construction cams, they also keep a fairly up-to-date photo gallery
Sweet. Thanks!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development