HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Tour QdS Jeanne-Mance in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Montreal Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Montreal Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 3, 2008, 10:21 PM
STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN

MONTREAL | Tours Quartier des Spectacles | 65 M, 145 M | 13, 30 FLOORS

Old rat infested crap going down but .......4 stories to replace this ....wow what a waste............................

3 février 2008
AVIS PUBLIC
DEMANDE DE DÉMOLITION
Les personnes intéressées sont priées de
noter que, conformément au Règlement
sur la démolition d’immeubles (CA-24-007),
le Comité d’étude des demandes de
démolition se réunira le 18 février 2008, à
18 h, à la salle du conseil d’arrondissement
située au 5e étage du 888, boulevard De
Maisonneuve Est, afin de statuer sur une
demande de démolition et un projet de
remplacement relatifs aux 6 bâtiments
vacants portant les numéros suivants :
- 298 à 302, rue Sainte-Catherine Ouest,
- 304 à 310, rue Sainte-Catherine Ouest,
- 1243 à 1245, rue De Bleury,
- 1247 à 1249, rue De Bleury,
- 1255, rue De Bleury,
- 312 à 320, rue Sainte-Catherine Ouest,
et 1259 à 1261, rue De Bleury.
Le projet de remplacement prévoit la
construction d’un édifice de 4 étages
comprenant des espaces locatifs commerciaux
au rez-de-chaussée et au 2e étage, et de
bureaux aux 3e et 4e étages, ainsi que
84 unités de stationnement et un quai de
chargement au sous-sol.
Toute personne désirant s'opposer à la
délivrance d’un permis de démolition doit,
dans les 10 jours de la publication du
présent avis ou de l'affichage d’un avis sur
l’immeuble concerné, faire parvenir une
opposition motivée à l'adresse suivante :
« Demande de démolition »
a/s de madame Susan McKercher
secrétaire d’arrondissement
Ville de Montréal
Arrondissement de Ville-Marie
888, boul. De Maisonneuve Est, 5e étage
Montréal (Québec) H2L 4S8.
Montréal, le 1er février 2008.
Susan McKercher
Secrétaire d’arrondissement
Ville-Marie

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 7:16 PM
Vorsprung Durch Technik

Updated render of Canderel's project for Quartier des Spectacle

http://canderel.altusinsite.com/file...83/photo/1.jpg

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 9:23 PM

C'est pas mal !

Retour du verre bleu, la grande mode des années 80. Ici on semble prévoir deux tons de bleu et du blanc au centre. Le jeu sur la diagonale devient par ailleurs assez courant... Il est toutefois moins audacieux dans ce projet que pour L'Avenue.

Un regret : le nouvel immeuble viendrait camoufler la nouvelle tour sur René-Lévesque. Ça aurait été bien de voir les deux depuis la place des spectacles, avec un effet de perspective. Mais il faudrait pour ça que la tour, ici, soit déplacée à droite, et que le gros bloc carré, moins haut, vienne le long de la rue.

De toute façon, l'amélioration du quartier continue...

Old Posted Mar 4, 2013, 11:02 PM

Avec tous ces tons de brun autour, ile me semble que du verre d'une palette bronze s'intégrerait mieux. Quant au design, le lieu de prêterait à un peu plus d'audace. C'est la place des spectacles après tout. Ceci étant, un tel projet est un plus pour le quartier.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2013, 5:15 PM
The good old days are now

MONTREAL | Tours Quartier des Spectacles | 65 M, 145 M | 13, 30 FLOORS

Quote:

Building Details
Property Type: Office
Office Class: A
Construction Status: Pre-Leasing
Total GLA: 885,000 (sq. ft.)
Total Office Area: 825,000 (sq. ft.)
Number of Floors: 31
Typical Floor: 27,500 (sq. ft.)
Largest Contiguous Available: 825,000 (sq. ft.)
Taxes and Operating: nd
Direct Asking Rate nd

Building Description
The new 1.2 Million ft project which will be LEED certified, has great access to public transit, a vast array of services and amenities and large efficient floor plates with an abundance of natural light. At the base of the podium outstanding spaces will be available for retailers who can take advantage of the proximity of Place des Arts, OSM, Place des Festivals, Complexe Desjardins and the ongoing pedestrian traffic of Ste-Catherine Street.
http://canderel.altusinsite.com/en/i...suiteid=721701

Quote:
Bleury & Saint-Catherine Development
A partnership between Canderel and Fonds immobilier de solidarité FTQ.

The proposed 1.2 million square foot multi phased project is located in the heart of the “Quartier des Spectacles” an area of the City of Montreal that has seen an enormous amount of investment over the years and has become the city's cultural hub.

The new project which will be LEED certified, has great access to public transit, a vast array of services and amenities and large efficient floor plates with an abundance of natural light. At the base of the podium outstanding spaces will be available for retailers who can take advantage of the proximity of Place des Arts, OSM, Place des Festivals, Complexe Desjardins and the ongoing pedestrian traffic of Ste-Catherine Street.
http://www.canderel.com/node/717

Quote:
Originally Posted by @constructo
Tours Quartier des Spectacles: Deux tours de 32 et 12 étages, certifiées LEED Or et livrées d'ici 24 à 32 mois
https://twitter.com/constructo

Old Posted Mar 17, 2013, 5:42 PM
Volatile Pacivist

This could be my new favourite downtown project!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2013, 6:06 PM

It needs being a good 20 floors taller!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2013, 9:01 PM
testify

^ street presence is so much more important than height. i'm ultra pessimistic about the likelihood that we'll see the tower component of this project built out, so i'd be happy with something even a quarter of the height, as long as that gravel parking lot disappears into a building of some sort.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashok View Post
It needs being a good 20 floors taller!
nah, it doesn't

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 1:41 AM
Look at me!

I'm sorry but I work in the area, at night, and I tell you that this part of town is dead as a dodo at night. Ok fine, on festival night there's a crowd, but this part of town is not able to attract and then hold a clientele on its own.

This tower needs to be the antidote to this. Seriously, Ste-Catherine street between Bleury and St-Laurent needs nighttime streetlife, and it ain't with a couple glass towers that this is going to happen.

These towers need to have fully entertainment-centered podiums. The Bell TIFF lightbox in Toronto is a good idea, something like that will be crucial to whether this neighbourhood becomes 'the shit' or just plainly, shit.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 2:12 AM
The good old days are now

When I think about it, this would have been the perfect spot to build the Bell Centre. I checked it out on Google Earth, and this lot is approximatley the same size as the Bell Centre (the Revenue Canada building could even remain in place. Or demolish the Revenue Canada building and put the Tour des Canadiens right on René-Lévesque) It would really have rejuvenated this area. Restaurants and pubs nearby would be booming. It would have ensured that enough people were always around to be worthy of the name "Quartier des Spectacles".

Another plus is that Windsor Station would still be useable, the airport link might even be already up and running.

This office development would have been more suited to where Roccabella is going up.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 2:31 AM
Look at me!

Having observed the Quartier des spectacles evolve first hand, I've reached the (personal) conclusion that it is a dud. A complete dud. No, I'm not talking about 11pm during the Jazz, I'm talking about every other night. People keep asking me where the fun is, and I have to refer them to the western edge of downtown or further up in the Plateau/Mile-end. Even McGill street in OM is livelier than the QDS. How do they expect to build an entertainment district when all you have are clothes shops, concert venues that die after 11pm and this piece of shit:

wikipedia

And don't get me started about la place des festivals, which is a great idea, but just doesn't look and feel like a public space. I mean is it a slope? A street? It's framed by abandoned buildings, the parking garage of a museum and a desolate parking lot. During the day it is cluttered with orange cones and barricades for random fountain retrofit #125.

Montreal as usual, good ideas, shitty, half-assed execution.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 7:12 AM
testify

yeah, who would have thought that building a city center for the suburbans would not have led to a glorious revival? #amalgamationfail

seriously though, once we redevelop the habitations jeanne mance, this hood will be rolling. i've actually stopped frequenting mtlurb because of how idiotically and uncritically boosterist they are for any project in the city, pretty much exactly the attitude that i think has ruined the place. let's get the central core rebuilt along these lines: http://www.mtlurb.com/forums/showthr...d-Jeanne-Mance

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 11:40 AM

Intéressante discussion sur le quartier des spectacles. C'est vrai qu'il y manque de vie. Une des causes : Montréal a depuis longtemps déplacé la vitalité à l'intérieur et sous-terre. Le complexe Desjardins draine une bonne partie de l'activité du quartier.

Les deux restaurants de la place sont une bonne idée, mais ça ne suffit pas. Ce serait déjà un progrès de continuer à repeupler les alentours, notamment du côté est.

Par contre, je suis un défenseur des habitations Jeanne-Mance, décriées injustement à mon avis. Elles offrent un cadre de vie très décent à une population qui, sans cela, serait chassée dans des banlieues sinistres. Il faut éviter de faire des centre-villes réservés aux bobos capables de s'acheter des condos à 400 000$ et plus.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2013, 4:07 PM

Je suis d'accord qu'on est encore loin du compte pour faire du QDS un endroit vivant et vibrant après les spectacles. Par contre, on va dans la bonne direction depuis quelques années. On a au moins plusieurs bons restaurants de plus où manger (Brasseie T; F Bar; Le Balmoral, Boullion Bilk, La Place Deschamps à la PDA; malheureusement le St-Cyr n'a pas fonctioné) mais du côté est, c'est encore assez rébarbatif pour plusieurs. Le coin St-Laurent-Ste Catherine est une horreur quand on considère l'importance de ces 2 rues à Montréal. Il faut absolument que les projets à venir, dont celui-ci et ce qui se fera sur le côté ouest de St-Laurent entre Ste-Catherine et R.L. incluent un volet night life. Il faudrait aussi des restos plus populaires à part les chaînes présentes au Complexe Desjardins.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 1:11 PM

The shorter tower, corner of Ste-Catherine and Bleury.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 3:25 PM

oh wow! That looks great!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 3:33 PM
Look at me!

Nothing 'spectacular' for this QDS tower. They can make it interesting by giving the podium some entertainment attributes. A new performance / concert venue perhaps.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 4:01 PM

What I like of this new proposal is its scale on the street level: it is massive. Despite the lack of height, the building is quite bulky and has this “overpowering” look to it.

With the Wilder across the street, this area is going to look sleek.

Another thing I like of this building is its commercial ground floors. It looks like a mall – and this can do quite a bit for that stretch of St. Catherine that seems to lack a bit behind.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2013, 9:42 PM

I find it sober for one of the entries of the QDS. Let's put lights, sparkles, bazzaz.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive