HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezervit View Post
Love the vegetarian restaurant c1910 just north of the 3rd St. tunnel! Who knew?
We were all pretty much amazed by that as well.
I would never have guessed that there were vegetarian restaurants in 1910!!

Anyway, welcome to the thread Prezerit!

I'm not the best at explaining pc issues, so I was hoping someone here would explain in detail how to post photos.

I upload mine on imageshack. (it's free, unless you want larger capacity for your photos)
When I copy & paste the url onto skyscraperpage it looks like this.....[IMP] name of file here [IMP]
To get it to work I have to change IMP to lower case letters. (I have NO idea why)
So your url will eventually look like this ............[imp] name of file here [imp]

I hope that helps.

Also, thanks for the information on that early aerial of downtown L.A. It was much appreciated.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 6, 2010 at 8:52 PM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 8:33 PM

ethereal-- I use Picasa--also a free download. Anyway, once I have the url (from, say, the LAPL) I highlight it and click "copy"; I then click on the "insert image" icon above (looks like a mountain with a sun over it), which usually requires me to click a bar at top to temporarily allow scripted windows--I go to the resulting box and right-click to paste the copied url in it; then you click "OK" and the url appears here in this reply box, with [IMG] on one end[/IMG] on the other. (Not sure about your "[IMP]"). If I've captured an image or otherwise have a photo that needs a url, I upload it (a 2-step process on Picasa), right-click on the resulting image (which is now mysteriously and supposedly anonymously online) to get the url, and follow the same procedure as above. I find I have to be careful when copying and pasting, otherwise the pics don't get posted.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 8:50 PM

GaylordWilshire, your photo of Schindler's Manola Court Apartment reminded of another Schindler apartment complex in Silver Lake.

This is the Bubeshko Apartments built in 1938.
(some sites say the building on the right is 1938, and the building on left is 1941)
The complex hugs a hillside at Griffith Park Blvd. and Lyric Avenue.

Michael Smith/Kansas Sebastian

The Mayan deco ornament seems very un-Schindler-like.
I would love to know the story behind it. I wonder if it was something the clients requested.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 6, 2010 at 11:48 PM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 9:52 PM

I was also surprised to see the Bubeshko decoration--it almost looks like it was added later. But then I believe that Schindler worked on the Hollyhock House--as the project manager of it, and maybe of the Ennis-Brown house too--two of Wright's textile-block buildings, both done in the early '20s. I think of these as sort of pre-Columbian- or Mayan-inspired--I think some say with American Indian influence, with massing like the Taos pueblo. Anyway, I'm surprised that by the time the Bubeskho was built in the late '30s that Schindler was using the motif, and so prominently. Maybe you're right, and it was something the Bubeshkos wanted.

Gregory Harwell http://www.gregoryharwell.com/Wright...1920%20009.jpg
The Hollyhock

http://bmac20.files.wordpress.com/20...hould-work.jpg
The Ennis-Brown

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Dec 7, 2010 at 2:25 AM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 12:58 AM

I'm surprised that Frank Lloyd Wright has rarely been mentioned in this thread.
His textile block homes from the 1920s are unique to Los Angeles.
The only other example I can think of is the Imperial Hotel in Tokyo (and that wasn't a private residence).

Below: A close up of the textile blocks used in the Ennis House.

Philip Roach Jr.

I also think Wright's textile block homes have a very alluring "noirish" quality.
The Ennis House was used (I'm sure you ALL know this by now) in the sci-fi noir "Blade Runner",
which also happens to be one of my favorite movies.

Below: Scenes from Blade Runner (1982) filmed in the Ennis house.

Warner Bros.

Warner Bros.

Warner Bros.

Warner Bros.

Below: This one looks like a matte shot on the left and the Ennis House (in the movie it was an apartment in a skyscraper) on the right.

Warner Bros.

OK, I'm off to Blockbuster.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 8, 2010 at 1:13 AM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 1:39 AM

I failed to mention that Blade Runner also used the interior of the Bradbury Building to even greater effect than the Ennis House.

That said, I can't resist posting this very cool still from the movie "House on Haunted Hill" 1958.

Here is Vincent Price's head superimposed over the Ennis House.

Willian Castle

Boo!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 3:07 AM

Speaking of Vincent Price and William Castle...

let's not forget

Columbia Pictures

Columbia Pictures
Vincent as Dr. Warren Chapin gets attacked by his own
discovery. Is it a lobster, or is it The Tingler?

And since I like to try to get an architectural angle into my posts here--this is Dr. Chapin's Los Angeles-area house. Well, I'm not sure if The Tingler was set in any particular place, but this house--or shell of a house, perhaps--was (is?) on the Columbia backlot, among structures that were around sort of Bostonish town square that can sometimes be seen in Columbia/Screen Gems tv shows such as Bewitched:
Columbia Pictures

One for you, ethereal:
Columbia Pictures

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 5:35 AM

November 6, 1954. Heading south towards downtown on the Arroyo Seco Parkway.

LAPL

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 4:52 PM

Anniversaries

December 7, 1941

http://aftermathnews.files.wordpress...pg?w=500&h=391

December 7, 1907

LAPL http://jpg1.lapl.org/00081/00081703.jpg

Per the LAPL: "The 'first' Santa Anita Racetrack was built on Elias Jackson ('Lucky') Baldwin's immense estate of 'Rancho Santa Anita' and opened on December 7, 1907, but closed just two years later after horse racing was banned in California due to an anti-gambling bill that became law. In 1933, Hollywood director Hal Roach and San Francisco dentist Dr. Charles Strub formed the Los Angeles Turf Club and raised funds to build a new track. Designed in an Art Deco style by Gordon B. Kaufman, the 'new' Santa Anita Park was opened on Tuesday, December 25, 1934."

December 7, 1931

Per the LAPL: "Aimee Semple McPherson Hutton and her husband, David L. Hutton at a 'Welcome Home' and 'Wedding' reception given by the members of her flock. The bride and groom were presented with many beautiful gifts. Photo shows Aimee receiving a silver service set. Photo dated: December 7, 1931.

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Dec 16, 2010 at 1:42 AM.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 10:30 PM

Freeway Sign

Sopas ej - Thanks for the photo of the Arroyo Seco Parkway sign. What a great shot, love it, a crowded freeway, city hall in the distance, early overhead porcelain enamel traffic sign. Before you got on the freeways you had to find them. The Automobile Club of Southern California of course helped by posting signs in the early 50’s on nearby streets directing motorist to the nearest freeway. Here is a photo of one such sign from my collection.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 12:28 AM

Here's a shot of the old Technicolor Building. I guess this was the best angle I could get.

and here's the old Max Factor Building, both in Hollywood

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 12:36 AM

Pacific Electric, Streetcars, Railroads

Hello Everyone,

This thread is just astounding! I truly appreciate the interest and the effort of so many to produce such high content posts, the research, photos and before and after stuff which has always fascinated me. I found out about this thread from a link in a post on the Trainorders.com website.

It took me 5 weeks alone to read the first 90 pages. I am a new member as of today.

I was born in downtown and grew up in LA often visiting downtown LA and all around town because of a delivery job while at USC. The West Adams district stuff has been fascinating reading thus far. Spent a lot of time practicing in the old Clark House USC used as part of its music school.

The stories and observations could run long but I wanted to mention my particular area of expertise and interest is the Pacific Electric, street cars and railroads. I have a lot of books but in the 90's began collecting videos
taken from films of the PE, LA area railroads and streetcars. Having seen so many remnants of the PE as a kid I wanted to see it in action. I only recall the last days of the then very tired and beat up Long Beach line just before its demise (1961) when it wasn't even PE anymore.

There has already been mention of the This Was Pacific Electric DVD on this thread. And it is superb. There are many others like it.

I will get that info together along with my comments and bring it back to the board. I have scoured places for this material even calling a producer at his home based on a promotional trailer and it turned out to be his home phone.

Some of these videos have before and after scenes taken nearly 50 years
apart and in one video, 100 years based on old photographs.

So in the meantime, if there is something of special interest to you let me
know as often some subjects are sidebars and segments in a full production.

My LA old scenes are in books so I will need to carefully look over the forum
rules on copyrighted material.

BB

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 1:03 AM

Welcome to the thread BulletBob!

It's great that you took the time to read through the 90 plus pages of this thread.
It's also an honor to meet someone that was actually born in downtown L.A. and grew up in the "City of Angels".

Your Pacific Electric Railway videos sound extremely interesting.
I can't wait to see them!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 5:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
The very 'noir' Rex Apartments (no address given).

calisphere

I imagine it inhabited by aging taxi-dancers.
And perhaps a few peroxide-blonde waitresses waiting by the phone for a bit part in the next Monogram feature.
Wow, I've been gone a long time! So much amazing stuff's been posted...I don't know where to begin. I'll start by adding what I can to some older posts...

The Rex Apts was at 911 Diamond. Diamond still runs between Figueroa and Beaudry, just N of First, though now it has the Harbor cutting through a good chunk of it. The Rex, known, at least in the 20s as the Occidental, was about where the second or third tree is now:

(Google Maps Street View)

Looming above is Figueroa Plaza. Where I've had some lovely, confounding afternoons with the good, I'm sure very well-meaning, folk of the Planning Department.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 6:11 AM

Quote:
The destruction of the Vanderbilt Apartments at 334 S. Figueroa (1959).

usc
There's a really good story behind the Vanderbilt (built originally as the Roosevelt) -- and why it had to be demo'd -- read it here http://www.onbunkerhill.org/node/134

These pics from USC must not have been up yet when the On Bunker Hill piece was written.

Ah, the way the Vanderbilt contrasts with the new Union Oil Center, sitting up there on Boylston. So haughty.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 6:16 AM

Quote:
Welcome Muji
Your 'Brian Goes To Town' blog is very interesting and well done.

below: The Mason Opera house.

ucla

Well, if you wanna talk Mason Opera House, please tell me you've seen this

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...8076345113485#

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 7:04 AM

Wow that demo pic is awesome!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 7:22 AM

Quote:
Here are a series photographs from 1952 of a crane lifting something onto the Ritchfield Building.

I find them interesting. You get a glimpse of the surrounding area as well.

I'm going to say USC Digital Archive, but I'm not certain.

below: I would love to see inside Oscar's Cafe (I can smell the hamburgers and onions).

usc

below: The Traveler's Hotel, another cafe, Hotel Cl.....something, The Jonathan Club, and the Hotel Victor in the distance

usc

I found these, and yes, they're in USC, and according to the caption, they're hoisting a giant table. What? Am I to assume that some oil executive ordered a table so gargantuan it had to be lifted up into his office with a giant crane? Ok, that's pretty great.

What I think's really amazing about these shots is the demolition of the West side of the Richfield. These are from '52 and the early '53 remodel contained a four-story annex. I've always found this building intriguing because it was so out of place wedged up next to the Rich. Moreover I've never come across any information about it, least of all who the architect was.

both, 1955, USC Digital Archives, http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/search...=1291791181321

And the west side of the Richfield is the odd side that no-one ever really sees or considers. Its great open backside. Ok, we know all about it. But it's certainly not the postcard image. From the Historic American Building Survey -- Marvin Rand shot a ton of images in 1968 --

HABS http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/habshaer/c...s/012404pv.jpg

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:

Here is another view of the general area around the Richfield Building.

You can see Rex Arms in the distance, along with the Statler Hilton and the Gates Hotel.
To the extreme right you can see an edge of the Richfield Building.

usc

I love the building in the lower left corner. Wouldn't it be great to have your office or studio in that room on top.
Does anyone know the name of this building?
Hurrah for The Snow! AKA The Southland. I've always had a thing for this part of the world, this building especially. (This is going to be really dull. Go get a sandwich or something and come back when it's done.)

The Snow is opened by Frank C. Finkle in December 1910.

The architect is H. M. Patterson, best known for his churches, especially Immanuel Presbyterian (that imposing Gothic structure at Wilshire and Berendo http://www.you-are-here.com/building/immanuel.html ) and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_C..._California%29

Looking across Central Park and Pacific Mutual Life, the distinctive roof of the Snow can be seen upper/left/middle:

USC http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/assets...earch/CHS-5033

(my collection)

In 1913 Frank C. Finkle decided to erect a fourteen-story skyscraper wrapping around his Hotel Snow.

Take that Lee Hotel and the Gates!

But it was not to be.

While Finkle was the builder and owner, it was Seward Snow who ran the show. Until March of 1913:

The hostelry changes hands in 1915. Sometime soon after, I'd wager, it becomes the Southland.

http://helios.library.ca.gov/soca/laci/1998-0498.jpg

(my collection)

Then it gets a cool new neighbor, which is I believe how we got on this subject in the first place...

http://helios.library.ca.gov/soca/laci/1998-0501.jpg

And it continues like that for many a year...until...

LAPL http://jpg1.lapl.org/spnb01/00007321.jpg http://jpg1.lapl.org/spnb01/00007320.jpg http://jpg1.lapl.org/spnb01/00007319.jpg

March 2, 1971:

And thus:

Mmm. Beige. Doesn't even rate a mention on you-are-here.

Here's a then-and-now by the great William Reagh -- 1969 and 1986:

http://catalog.library.ca.gov/F/BBHP...001&format=999
Sigh. Thus I'll end with a map, which is much more fun.

Last edited by Beaudry; Dec 9, 2010 at 4:39 AM.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2010, 1:23 PM

that is indeed on big ol' table

Source: Calisphere http://content.cdlib.org/ark:/13030/...MLP_0720_01302

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos