HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
It was really short and in the wrong configuration for heavy jets. Part of it is used as the apron for the new terminal building.
It was shortened in the 70s when Air Canada built its maintenance base... at that point it became designated for propeller aircraft only. But over time it was used less and less to the point where it only accounted for 1% of movements. Eventually it deteriorated but with it being so lightly used, there was no point in putting money into repairs so they decommissioned it. Or at least that is what a friendly person from WAA told me.

Speaking of the Aveos maintenance base, what's going on in there these days?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 6:06 PM

The third runway is parallel to the current east west runway, but at the north end of the airport. You can see the land reserved looking at google.

Also page 8 of this document.
https://www.waa.ca/uploads/ck/files/...erPlan0615.pdf

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 8:01 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It was shortened in the 70s when Air Canada built its maintenance base... at that point it became designated for propeller aircraft only. But over time it was used less and less to the point where it only accounted for 1% of movements. Eventually it deteriorated but with it being so lightly used, there was no point in putting money into repairs so they decommissioned it. Or at least that is what a friendly person from WAA told me.
The approach path was just north of my house and was heavily used by 737s. I moved into my house in 1992.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 7:43 PM
What could go wrong?

All schools closing Mar 23 - Apr 13. The kids will be bouncing off the walls halfway through.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 8:06 PM

Quote:
All schools closing Mar 23 - Apr 13. The kids will be bouncing off the walls halfway through.
Geez louise. What a turn this has taken. I was just about to leave for a spring break vacation with the kids, waterparks, baseball games, hockey games, hiking... that was just cancelled and we're now basically under house arrest for three weeks, and who's to say it'll end there.

I wonder if I should go and get a new video game system so my kids can finally enjoy an upgrade from my old Wii which is older than them

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Brandon schools were attempting to order hand sanitizer, soap and yes toilet paper but there were no supplies left in the city. That was part of the reason they are closing.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Geez louise. What a turn this has taken. I was just about to leave for a spring break vacation with the kids, waterparks, baseball games, hockey games, hiking... that was just cancelled and we're now basically under house arrest for three weeks, and who's to say it'll end there.

I wonder if I should go and get a new video game system so my kids can finally enjoy an upgrade from my old Wii which is older than them
If you're getting a new game system and others do the same there might not be one left for me... I'm going to buy 10 just in case.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
If you're getting a new game system and others do the same there might not be one left for me... I'm going to buy 10 just in case.
I forgot, no new video game system since I spent all my money on toilet paper

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 8:50 PM

Why wait a week to close though? If the purpose is to prevent spread and you've decided to close, do it now.

I've seen reasons like giving parents time to find arrangements. So if it really is a big deal about spread, then letting the kids go to school with boogers and germs doesn't make sense.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 9:19 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Why wait a week to close though? If the purpose is to prevent spread and you've decided to close, do it now.
March break starts today.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2020, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
March break starts today.
March 30 here. Starting a week early now.

https://publicholidays.net/school-ho...hool-division/

Old Posted Mar 14, 2020, 12:45 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Oh ok. I figured they were all the same.

I'll just go back to eating all of the toilet paper I bought today.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2020, 1:01 AM

In the wake of all that is happening, the toiler paper jokes are much appreciated.

Now, I haven't wiped my ass in 10 minutes, so I better go take care of that.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2020, 1:21 AM

The modern anus is very coddled.

-Dwight Schrute

Old Posted Mar 14, 2020, 1:48 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
In the wake of all that is happening, the toiler paper jokes are much appreciated.
It's not bad with ketchup, really.

I have yet to see any of this panic buying. Benefits of living in a small town I guess.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2020, 3:03 AM
I am a typical

There was a guy marching around No Frills today crying about how there is no food. This is what it looked like inside:

The staff were like "omg we're running out of things, is a truck coming???" and I'm just standing there with literally 16 Mr. Noodles thinking "my god, are these people serious??"

Old Posted Mar 14, 2020, 3:22 AM

^ maybe he meant healthy food, i wouldn't eat half that shit even in a quarantine.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Mar 14, 2020, 3:34 AM
I am a typical

No, the guy complaining is actually the blue jacket guy in the last photo. He didn't seem like the type to even approach a vegetable.

And the produce and fresh meat was actually pretty well stocked; bags of apples were sold out (except the red delicious, for obvious reasons) but the loose apples on the other side were barely touched. They were out of white bread, but only losers eat that. They were low on peppers and celery, but that was about it. I didn't see many people actually buying produce, everyone is in that "I must stock up on canned shit!" panic state. Which is fine, really; lots of discount carrots, onions and peppers coming up next Monday!! Perfect for stir fries and stews. This store doesn't sell yellow fleshed potatoes, but it was about half-stocked on the less creamy varieties. They'll keep a long time if you store them well, but people were told "canned food", not "non-perishable food", so they've left the hardy root vegetables for us. I've got plenty of sweet potato and onion, just keep running out of yellow potato. Can't make a meal without yellow potato.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2020, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
They'll keep a long time if you store them well, but people were told "canned food", not "non-perishable food", so they've left the hardy root vegetables for us. I've got plenty of sweet potato and onion, just keep running out of yellow potato. Can't make a meal without yellow potato.
Funny that you mention sweet potatoes... I was at Walmart last night and they were pretty cleaned out of many grocery items, but one thing they had vast amounts of for some reason was sweet potatoes. Like way more than usual.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2020, 11:55 PM
I am a typical

Walmart here has tiny little sweet potatoes, and then you go to Superstore and they're sometimes well over 5 pounds *each*. Is that a thing in Winnipeg?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan