HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 3:15 PM

This is the right thread, and thanks for posting!
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laikaislost View Post
New Project for Fort Collins

Confluence - Mixed use (office, retail, housing) in the Fort Collins River District.

Image: (rehosted from architect's site listed below)

News Story:
http://www.coloradoan.com/story/mone...rict/96355952/

Architect Page:
http://auworkshop.co/confluence

Google Maps Location:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/40...!4d-105.072965

I am really excited for this project. They did Block One across the street, which I think is a cool looking building with a good look for that part of town. The lots around there are a bit blighted, but are slowly getting updated with new construction. And perhaps once this is finished, the city will actually move forward with redoing Willow street.
I love the footprint and massing!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Not sure if this is the right thread, but seeing as I might be heading to Boulder for graduate school in aerospace engineering I thought I might share something I saw on the department website. I did a quick search on the forum and didn't see anything about it.

Looks like the AES department at CU is trying to fund a new 139,000 square foot building on East Campus.

http://www.colorado.edu/aerospace/20...space-building
Thanks for posting! Very cool to see East Campus getting built out so fast. It's always a pet peeve of mine when construction announcements are so vague about the exact location/parcel of a development. I looks like this is roughly near the new SEEC complex off Discovery Drive; based on the rendering and what I know of the East Campus master plan. It'd be nice if they'd be more specific though!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 7:14 AM

Amazon to open huge fulfillment center in Aurora, employ 1,000
Jan 23, 2017 by Staff - Denver Business Journal
Quote:
Amazon.com Inc. said today it will open a 1 million-square-foot fulfillment center in Aurora that will employ 1,000 people and help speed up the online retailer's deliveries in the state.

The new facility will be built in the Prologis Park 70 — at the intersection of Interstate 70 and E-470. It will augment Amazon's existing 452,000-square-foot "sortation" center in Aurora's Majestic Commercenter, which was announced last year and is located at I-70 and Tower Road.
Hooray - Denver if finally getting a "fulfillment center." To see the inside of one of these.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 5:13 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Warehouse. It's a warehouse. I wonder how much longer this language trend of giving overly complicated names to things we already have simple words for will last.

It's not a building maintenance technician, it's a janitor.
It's not an education campus, it's a school.
It's not a recycling and disposal facility, it's a dump.

I'm reminded of this line from that television classic, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Rogers in the 25th Century

Space guard: "You'll need a delocking disk."

Buck Rogers: "A delocking di... Oh, you mean a key. Why do you people in the future have to make everything so complicated?"

Universal Studios

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 5:31 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

It's not a development message board, it's a yellzone.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 12:59 AM

http://www.csbj.com/2017/01/20/found...er-to-reality/

Really wish they would skip the toys and go straight for a real transit system like light rail, but at least it'll be a start.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 2:47 PM

Streetcars aren't real transit? Say what?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 2:48 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
Streetcars aren't real transit? Say what?
Streetcars built in 1929?

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 7:04 PM

^ Those PCC cars would look great in the Springs!!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2017, 8:13 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Yeah I want more information about this streetcar project. Is it going to be like the Platte River trolley, the Ft. Collins trolley or a proper start to a street car system?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 1:49 AM

You're right, it was wrong to imply that streetcars aren't real transit. However, this is the Springs where progress towards becoming a legitimate city rather than Denver's biggest suburb is slow at best. This one will be interesting to watch develop since UCCS is developing a substantial campus. Ideally, a proper streetcar system connecting UCCS to downtown will prove to be a big hit and spur public demand for connecting major areas of the city to each other with more than the Metro (https://coloradosprings.gov/sites/de...-_8.5_x_11.pdf).

Old Posted Feb 15, 2017, 6:39 PM

Front Range Rail Study Passes First Legislative Hurdle

Old Posted Feb 18, 2017, 6:07 AM

^ Thanks Denver Dweller and heres something I got off the colorail website:
SENATE FINANCE PASSES CHIEF BILL!
Posted on February 15, 2017 by Jim Souby
Senate Bill 17-153, The Southwest Chief & Front Range Passenger Rail Commission Bill passed out of the Senate Finance Committee on a 4 -1 vote and was sent to the Senate Floor.
Prime Sponsors Senators Larry Crowder and Leroy Garcia introduced the bill to the Committee. Jim Souby, Bob Brewster and Jack Wheeler testified in favor. There was no opposition.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized by Jim Souby. Bookmark the permalink.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 9:24 PM

New project just hit the Fort Collins development review site:

Living Oaks Net Zero Residences - 3 story 4 unit residential townhome building

Image: (rehosted from architect's site listed below)

Architect Page:
https://davisdavisarch.com/living-oa...ro-residences/

Google Maps Location:
google.com/maps

I am really excited for this development. It looks nice I think, it fills in a longtime empty lot, it only has one on site parking space, and it sounds like it will be net-zero! I think it will be a nice addition to the block since we just got those really high-end brownstone-esque townhomes at the other end of the block completed.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 5:37 AM

Some good news on front range rail:
KUSA - The idea of adding passenger rail service along I-25 along the Front Range will get more attention under a bill that the state Senate passed Thursday.

The Senate voted 24 to 11 to pass a bill ordering a report be done by the end of the year on the feasibility of Front Range rail service.

"We have a lot of highway congestion and what we are doing is studying how we can integrate modern day rail system from Trinidad basically all the way to the Wyoming border," said Republican Senator Larry Crowder from Alamosa.

Senator Crowder, a rural Colorado native, sponsored Senate Bill 153.

The bill proposes revising the current commission overseeing the Southwest Chief Amtrak line in southern Colorado.

If passed, it would replace the existing southwest chief rail line economic development, rural tourism, and infrastructure repair and maintenance commission with an expanded southwest chief and front range passenger rail commission.

They would continue the same duties of maintaining the southwest chief line, but also look into expanding the line to the front range.

"The reality is we have so much congestion on I-25 and we're looking at expanding the lanes, but the reality is we're looking at doubling the population over the next 20 - 25 years - how many lanes are you going to expand? What we need to do is look at ways to provide, affordable, dependable, and reliable transportation to move people," Crowder said.

He says that many people in rural southern and northern Colorado don't like driving on I-25 to reach Denver.

"We do not drive in the atmosphere that you do everyday so we're somewhat reluctant and we're not experienced, but the reality is we have a lot of veterans that come up here for VA care, we have a lot of older Americans that are not very apt to drive in these conditions," he said. "So what we're saying is why not look at the situation to have rural Colorado basically network with the front range."

Senator Crowder believes his bill will be introduced in the state House by the middle of next week.

He believes the Senate was the bill's largest hurdle.

(© 2017 KUSA)

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 3:06 PM

http://gazette.com/narrowing-the-gap...rticle/1597675

Will be interesting to see if these City of Champions developments can actually spur the revitalization of downtown.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 6:14 PM
Up Up and Away

I'm a big proponent of rail service. This would be a boon for the entire region. I also think Colorado needs to think about expanding rail into the mountains as well.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 8:46 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablosan View Post
I'm a big proponent of rail service. This would be a boon for the entire region. I also think Colorado needs to think about expanding rail into the mountains as well.
As soon as we find $30 billion dollars, we can have 25 and 70 rail.

Sen. Crowder's bill isn't about "find a solution to rail now." It's about "getting Amtrak to Pueblo and I guess get a committee to look at rail, like we've been doing since 2012. Report back in 2018. See if the findings were different than 2014."

Last edited by seventwenty; Feb 26, 2017 at 9:00 PM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 11:37 PM

Blue Dot developer planning more apartments

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West