HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
I am the opposite in terms of my preferences. I love steep bowls, lots of snow and trees. Other than cliffs, I will board pretty much any terrain. I can never get tired of trees. Just shows that everyone has their own preferences, and ski hills have to accommodate all types of skiers. I am glad you had a good time!
You sound like a snowboarder! Steep, Deep and lots of trees are my favourite too. Found a nice 40 - 50' cliff last time I was at KH, had to hike back up in 5' deep snow on a 45 degree slope to find a way around it! Be careful ducking ropes out there...

Glad you had a good trip Klazu, we certainly are spoiled here, some of us even do day trips to Fernie or Kicking Horse.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 6:35 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
I am the opposite in terms of my preferences. I love steep bowls, lots of snow and trees. Other than cliffs, I will board pretty much any terrain. I can never get tired of trees.
Have you skied Taynton Bowl at Pano? Only downside is the ski out - incredible bowl but i do feel for the boarders on the road home.

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 6:07 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
Have you skied Taynton Bowl at Pano? Only downside is the ski out - incredible bowl but i do feel for the boarders on the road home.
Have only been to Pano once, and it was when I was like 14 and my first time skiing, so I never left the bunny hill.

Only skied half a dozen times after that, and realized I suck. Then, about 8 years ago I tried snowboarding and picked it up much quicker. Now its double black tree runs and anywhere I can find powder.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Have only been to Pano once, and it was when I was like 14 and my first time skiing, so I never left the bunny hill.

Only skied half a dozen times after that, and realized I suck. Then, about 8 years ago I tried snowboarding and picked it up much quicker. Now its double black tree runs and anywhere I can find powder.
huh, I thought you were a skier lol.

Castle is looking good this weekend, may have to make another trip.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 3:27 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
...Now its double black tree runs and anywhere I can find powder.
You should hit Taynton then. Even when the snow is iffy on the front of Pano, the bowl almost always has powder. Personally I prefer it over the bowls at KH or Fernie.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 3:28 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Castle is looking good this weekend, may have to make another trip.
Hope you made it there. I'm stuck in NZ for a couple weeks, so no more Rockie's visits until the end of March

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 1:24 AM

We had our best forenoon at Whistler yesterday! Soft snow groomed in runs and blue skies in the morning. Knowing how line-ups at different lifts will evolve, we managed to avoid the crowds and ski a lot in a day.

Only in the afternoon did the conditions change as it turned out there is lots of ice some 10 cm below the soft snow. It was still pretty fun, but one had to be careful as it was that icy. They definitely need more snow and should be getting more next week.

It was quite cold, hovering between -8 and -14 at the top. I am happy I had my new heat socks with me and had no problem with the cold weather.

Last edited by Klazu; Feb 28, 2017 at 5:57 AM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 8:36 PM

165 cm has fallen on the North Shore Mountains in the past 7 day. The total snowfall on Mount Seymour totals already 1045 cm. Blessed be La Nina winter.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 7:59 PM

Made it out to Fernie on the weekend, they got about 120cm over the last week, but it was raining in town when we got there friday. The bottom 3rd of the hill was mashed potatoes Saturday morning, but lots of powder up top still. Made first chair so we got lots of fresh tacks, was about the 30th chair up Polar Peak, so got some really good lines there too. Had low expectations Sunday, but made it to Snake Ridge just after opening, and got to ride untouched powder from the whole week, was amazing. Ducked the rope and ducked into Fish Bowl a bit, enough that we didn't have to commit to that bowl (would need a beacon and avy gear as they don't control there, and the traverse to Snake crossed over the remains of an avalanche, so conditions were prime for slides) but still got the best snow of the weekend. It's getting pretty warm at the base of Fernie during the day, so the season will start winding down soon.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2017, 2:20 AM

Blackcomb was amazing today. It was snowing heavily the whole day and there was soft-packed snow everywhere. Possible the best day of the season!

Coast mountains have been blessed with loads of snow in the past few weeks and Whistler should be seeing another meter in the next 7 days. Mount Seymour's total snowfall this season is already at 1170 - almost 12 meters!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 4:57 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Went to Louise on Saturday and Castle on Sunday. Both amazing. Both had some fresh powder, and really good bases. Weather was great, warm, but not enough to melt anything. Castle was good all over, even the groomers had good powder to play in.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 7:32 PM
Beer me Captain

Just finished my last ski days in AB this season

Half day at Nakiska on friday, full days at Louise (Sat) and Sunshine (Sun)

Nakiska - surprising amount of powder and as such a fun afternoon. There was still snow in the glades at the end of the day. Only day at Nakiska this year and they seem like they're having an okay year.

Louise - awesome. As fusili said, great conditions. Even though it was a busy Saturday, there was still fresh untracked powder late afternoon if you knew where to look. Missed the upper bowls, but the glades on Larch were great!

Sunshine - -15 in the parking lot at 9 and -4 on the top of lookout at 930. Bad white out conditions early, but by mid-morning it was great. DD was in super shape and the west side chutes were open. Found a gully between Snuffy and Eagle Bowl with waist deep powder.

Overall a great end to the AB season for me - now it's just BC hills and a trip to QC over Easter.

Get out there and enjoy the snow. Too bad no Castle visit this year as I hear it is spectacular!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 7:52 PM
Community Guy

Marmot this past weekend was the best snow I have skied there in years... amazing stuff.

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 11:12 PM

I was also at Marmot yesterday and the conditions were excellent. There were no lineups anywhere on the hill.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2017, 11:14 PM

Heard a skier hit a tree and died at Louise this weekend, really sad stuff!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 2:46 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Heard a skier hit a tree and died at Louise this weekend, really sad stuff!
Incredibly sad. Do you know if it was a collision or did the skier get stuck in a well?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Incredibly sad. Do you know if it was a collision or did the skier get stuck in a well?
Police report says it was a collision with the tree and he was wearing a helmet.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Sounds like he hit a tree. It was off the glacier chair, and trees are pretty tight there so people don't go in them too much. He probably just lost control and couldn't stop in time.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 6:28 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Sounds like he hit a tree. ...
Latest on CBC confirms that it was a collision. Unfortunately a risk of skiing.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2017, 7:56 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Police report says it was a collision with the tree and he was wearing a helmet.
Quote:
Sounds like he hit a tree. It was off the glacier chair, and trees are pretty tight there so people don't go in them too much. He probably just lost control and couldn't stop in time.
There is always a risk in the trees, and helmets are a must (what kind of idiot skis or boards without a helmet I don't know). Generally though, I take it pretty slow in the trees, but just like anything, even at a slow pace you can just take a bad turn, fall a bad way and hit yourself in the wrong place.

My heart goes out to the guys family and friends.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia