HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 4:11 AM
The Vomit Bag.

The 401 near the outlet mall in Milton on Boxing Day is....a parking lot in each direction for miles. Literally. Asinine how it gets totally gridlocked by a fucking shopping plaza.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 11:51 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
The 401 near the outlet mall in Milton on Boxing Day is....a parking lot in each direction for miles. Literally. Asinine how it gets totally gridlocked by a fucking shopping plaza.
I got stuck in there too. I thought there was an accident, but no, people just wanted to shop.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2015, 4:03 PM
User Registered

Funny 401 jabs here

The 401 is life, the 401 is love.

http://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comme...ic_in_england/

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Mar 11, 2015, 4:29 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
I've probably spent a year of my life sitting in traffic on the 401.
Sad, but this probably applies to a substantive % of GTAers.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2015, 1:15 PM

Dramatic video of a highway rollover that occurred at the 404 and 401 interchange yesterday. A transport truck missed the curve on the ramp from the southbound lanes of the 404 to the westbound express lanes of the 401 and crashed down onto the highway.

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=576434

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 5:21 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:

Centralized view looking west from Lake Ridge, with a GO train passing by.
Reposted from the Highways of Canada thread. My God, what an ugly view.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Reposted from the Highways of Canada thread. My God, what an ugly view.
What are the trying to expand the express/collector lanes? What a waste of land.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 6:09 PM

That's where Highway 401 will meet up with the new Highway 412, they're moving the lanes around to fit in the interchange.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 11:13 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreTrains View Post
What are the trying to expand the express/collector lanes? What a waste of land.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
That's where Highway 401 will meet up with the new Highway 412, they're moving the lanes around to fit in the interchange.
C/E lanes will start/end at this junction as well... whenever the C/E system is widened that far east.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 11:19 PM
National Capital Region

here are the plans for that area (click on image to enlarge)

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 2:18 PM

Sweet lord almighty! Thats what/where that is! Kinda necessary, unless somehow all day GO changes ideals, which I doubt.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreTrains View Post
Sweet lord almighty! Thats what/where that is! Kinda necessary, unless somehow all day GO changes ideals, which I doubt.
With the GTA growing at a rate of 100,000 people per year, adding some 2 million residents over the next 20 years, even if transit ridership explodes there will still be a need to expand highways. Keep in mind that as the 412 is going to be tolled, it will be largely protected from the laws of induced demand.

The 412 also enhances the value of Highway 407 by finally giving it a seamless connection to the 401 in the east, thus it will help traffic bypass Toronto.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 7:08 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post

The 412 also enhances the value of Highway 407 by finally giving it a seamless connection to the 401 in the east, thus it will help traffic bypass Toronto.
...For a fee.

I have a feeling that the 412 and 418 won't be tolled for very long. A toll road just to get to a toll road is kinda stupid if you ask me. Also, what about the other interchanges on these roads that people will be using to get to the 401 instead of the 407? You are charging them for 401 access.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 8:11 PM

many will likely use the 412 to quickly get up to Rossland or Taunton Road, and bypass city traffic in Whitby and Ajax. This will be discouraged with the tolls though..

The main bypass access road will be the 418 when it opens in 5 years, as it will allow you to bypass Oshawa which experiences not insignificant amounts of traffic on the 401.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
many will likely use the 412 to quickly get up to Rossland or Taunton Road, and bypass city traffic in Whitby and Ajax. This will be discouraged with the tolls though..

The main bypass access road will be the 418 when it opens in 5 years, as it will allow you to bypass Oshawa which experiences not insignificant amounts of traffic on the 401.
It will also attract traffic heading from east of the GTA to the northern GTA and points north. There is currently no efficient route from along the 401 east of Oshawa to Richmond Hill, Newmarket, and points north, without having to either go into Toronto and take the 404 or 400 from the 401, or use a municipal arterial such as Brock Road to get to the existing 407. So, someone going from Kingston to Newmarket might use 401 > 412 > 407 > 404.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 4:47 PM
User Registered

I love the cityscape developing around the 401 throughout Toronto.

Source: ME!

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 5:20 PM
The Vomit Bag.

It is neat as long as you don't get the slow-motion version (i.e., clogged traffic, which corresponds to about 50% of the time).

Old Posted Apr 9, 2015, 2:47 AM
The Vomit Bag.

It will get you.

Wikipedia

The black hole of the automobile transportation universe.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 1:52 AM

A new COMPASS sign has been erected in Woodstock in advance of the 401/403 interchange. Apparently once it has been brought online this sign will be able to show travel time comparisons between the 401 and 403 to Toronto:

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 3:55 AM

Neat way to distribute traffic evenly.

Those signs are popping up all over, there's a bunch that went up in Ottawa on the 417 not too long ago.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario