HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 2:21 PM

I have a feeling the NDP will support this budget and thus avoiding a spring election. Here's why:

1) Polls show the NDP in third place right now. Why would Horwath trigger an election only to potentially allow the Cons to take government? Doesn't make sense.

2) 90% of her demands were included in the budget, so she is already getting her way now.

The only reason she is "talking to the people of Ontario" is to play hardball. Guarantee she will support this.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 2:45 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornagainbiking View Post
Easy bud. Maybe a bit of proper decorum. We may not agree or ever agree on anything, but I did my time defending my country and the right of free speech. So maintain your views but limit the name calling. respect! SVP.
Always the victim eh bornagain?

Flickr®

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 12:21 AM
I am a typical

That's how it is with born again Christians. They're not so much born again as they have been convinced of a way to benefit personally from a religion belonging to other people.

I no longer consider them Christian and repeatedly demand that they stop calling themselves that. It's cultural appropriation.

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 10:41 AM

Forum is not a pleasant place.

Just to set the record straight or eliminate any further confusion. Not that it really matters as a name on the Internet can be as confusing as a personalized licence plate. Means something to you but can be interpreted in many different ways.
Bornagainbiking is NOT religion based. A couple years ago my work schedule had me going to work in the off hours and it was very quiet with little traffic. Also the parking lot was packed all the time. So I rode my bike and loved it, until my hours changed.
When I was younger actually on many occasions over the years, I was able to ride my bicycle in. I rode a lot when I was a teenager. So in this case I was afforded the opportunity to ride my bike to work. Hence Bornagain. I am not nor feel I was a religious zealot to warrant the focus of anyone's displeasure.
As for a victim, think about it. I just express my opinion that obviously does not agree with some. So debate or exchange views to enlighten or if the facts presented are strong enough, alter my view of the topic.
I can handle myself, but to express a point where I feel the remarks were off-side or ventured away from the topic and instead becomes an attack. This does to invite or welcome dialogue. Or exchange ideas.
If you look at it in a new light, it is a mild form of cyber-bullying. Wonder where the kids are learning this.
I find it a topic killer when a topic is hijacked and goes from looking at the upcoming budget and how it will unfold. Will it be a non confidence vote or will the rails be greased to let it slide through.
As for this exchange, if I was the one who may have been abrupt, I would have reined myself in and apologize. We talk about all the negative ads or attacks by the political parties (which I detest) is that not hypocritical considering some of the exchanges here, like a giant abuzz Kill.
So I used to really enjoy dropping in to read the Ontario based forums, but I find myself staying away. Why because many people can be opinionated and flock to forums. But like a zealot of any stripe don't shove your views down my throat or bombard an individual who's views may differ from yours. Ontario is huge and our populace come from a variety backgrounds and circumstances.
So basically as the stronger personalities take over the exchanges others like be will migrate to other options.
Ontario is in sad shape and things don't look good for the foreseeable future and hope we can weather the storm. Nero fiddled while Rome burned.

Last edited by bornagainbiking; May 5, 2013 at 2:14 PM.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 11:15 AM

Non confidence Vote

Well the time has arrived.
Well the budget fly or sink and why?
I tend to lean towards so far to retain power, Ms Wynne is offering to buy her way with our money and so far they are maxed out on their credit cards. At some point the tap has to be turned off or the cash flow adjusted.
As much as I had to say it, we need an election and it may hurt. Some pain now or lots of pain later complete with radical surgery.
Will the NDP cave in as their bluff got called and they got what they wanted and MORE.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Bornagain, I don't know why it's so difficult for you to do so, but please keep your politically motivated "spam" contained. The multiple thread thing is extremely tiresome and we all get it, you hate the Liberals.

So please keep your commentaries organized in one thread.

Thanks.

Flickr®

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 12:28 PM

Apathy

With the current condition of Ontario and very little concern. I wonder why no one is worried or motivated to try and remedy the situation. This has gone on for years under the umbrella of several parties.
I think that the elected individuals are inexperienced in such complex portfolios. So they rely on the establishment or resident bureaucrats. So the head may change, then bad advise and that head rolls and attach next head.
So the entrenched regimes motor on day in and day out until they retire. And their replacement takes over.
Maybe for too long we have been targeting the wrong level of direction. Allowed to influence decisions right or wrong with none of the responsibility nor accountability.
I do not hate the Liberals and welcome any leader that will get us out of this mess. Just not drawn to liars or con men of any stripe.
We have to get away from a team fan mentality in politics and look at the issues and remedies.
Vote for the person not the party.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 7:53 PM

Fall election

Predictions and views?
I think people don't vote governments in, they vote them out! So lesser of all the evils present,
Amazing there was a barrage of commercials anti PC by the Family Coalition and afterwards they drifted from existence. Rumour has it, funded by special interest groups or some with vested interests?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 3:39 AM

We don't even know when the next election is yet, but the PCs and Liberals are polling very close to each other currently so it could be close.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 1:50 AM

Liberals not good at math

Not a Liberal fan, 40 million is not very close to $1.1 $ Billion. Just keep defending them.
Wake up!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 10:24 AM

A ship adrift heading for the rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Bornagain, I don't know why it's so difficult for you to do so, but please keep your politically motivated "spam" contained. The multiple thread thing is extremely tiresome and we all get it, you hate the Liberals.

So please keep your commentaries organized in one thread.

Thanks.
I thought about this and at times it seems that the considering the position Ontario is in and the direction we are heading there is a general display of apathy or indifference. Especially in a forum about Ontario, basic inactivity.
It is not hate, but criticism of our path or current helms person. Or the Captiam of the ship that jumped off at the last good port of call. This is like the Costa Concordia. A real train wreck.
One point that I heard last week was that the current regime will, and is accepting responsibility for the $1.2 Billion fiasco. The one that was originally estimated at $40 million. Close
Nice! Set up a committee so this won't happen again. This was a major error and we (WE) will pay for decades. Our hydro bills are going up next month.
They talk like they just misplaced the keys to the departmental limo.Oops, my Bad! We can't afford rank amateurs or sponsor their OJT (on the job training) power plants, ONGE, eHealth.... Sorry just the recent ones. 407 Last round!
I don't care really who it is but I pray that we get someone that will get us on the oath out of this spiral to the bottom.
We take more interest in issues that are entertainment and neglect to select proper leadership that will steward our concerns. Or guard our coffers.
P.S. Go Leafs Go!!!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 4:21 PM

Ontario may sell assets?

A committee is formed and looking at what can go and either cut expenditures or be profitable?
Lots of talk over the years, ????????

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 5:36 PM

they specifically said in the announcement that the focus will be to retain the assets unless it is deemed absolutely boneheaded to keep ownership. The focus will be on improving efficiency rather than selling them.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 10:56 PM
I am a typical

If it is irresponsible for the province to own its houses, why should I have to own mine?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 10:51 AM

The Elephant in the room!

Things are not rosy and the future could seem questionalble?
What do you see?
We always revert to bashing each others political affiliations but Ontario is in severe distress and requires some timely solutions.
Spending is out of control and more taxation is not the long term answer.
What are your suggestions or insight.
I think we need to sell Ontario and stimulate business. Drop electricity rates for production and reduce gas taxes to encourage travel.
Tourism to showcase our province and it's natural beauty.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 2:36 PM

Continue on the path we're already on. Boosted spending on economy-stimulating sectors while freezing or modestly cutting everything else.

Regarding energy there's really nothing to be done. The costs are being driven by rehab of nuclear, and setting up enough of anything else to replace it entirely would cost just as much. The only exception is bringing back coal but that's unacceptable (environmental costs too high to be worth the reduced energy cost) so we're stuck... unless we want to sell electricity below cost, which is not a good idea in this fiscal climate. In any case even now, and even after hydro goes up another 40% by 2017, our rates are still pretty damn competitive within our region.

Nonetheless, there are some further measures that should be taken, IMO.
1) Elimination of the separate school system--saves money (probably in the low billions) and improves sociocultural conditions too
2) Alcohol reforms. Lower drinking age to 18, allow corner stores & supermarkets to sell beer if they buy a license, allow beer sales at LCBO. All four should bring in more money.
3) Index gas tax rate to inflation
4) Modest increase in the CIT rate, maybe half a percent

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 8:50 PM
User Registered

Raise PST 2%. The feds lowered the GST by 2%, so this just levels it out.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 1:33 PM

Innovation and modernization

Downsize the giant flagship LCBO's. Set-up or reconfigure the smaller stores and go location location location. Do drive thrus? Like we don't have that already. Also Manitoba has done it for decades,
Dump the under-used ones. Strip down the indiviudual site inventory. Utillize the internet and maybe incorporate a system like the Libaries. Special order or unique items requested to specific site.
Auto parts stores do this all the time.
Maybe get real modern and do bonded home delivery and cash in on that market. Green grocers saw an opportunity. Regional brewers have been doing this for years in Germany.
We have to think of the customer first.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 3:32 PM

The LCBO's entire operation is being reviewed by the Asset Optimization Committee or whatever its called so we'll see things happen there.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2015, 7:38 PM
Closed account

I definitely think the corporate income tax could be raised higher. I believe I saw a study somewhere that showed that it has very little influence over where corporations locate (consider how many startups there are in California).

I also heard an interesting idea on the news when I was at the gym yesterday about using the favourable interest rates right now to issue a massive number of bonds to fund an infrastructure bank of sorts that would be devoted to funding a comprehensive infrastructure program across the country.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario