HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Feb 24, 2015, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symz View Post
Crazyness, and then the next day a fire next door at the Havana smoke shop. That whole block can't catch a break.
I know, I really hope that's the last of the bad news, I just want to get back home!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 5:07 AM

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 2:30 PM

^^^

I was surprised by this, as it's usually pretty busy whenever I have been in there. I wonder if anything will take its place?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 3:49 AM

Where will the drug dealers go to make their transactions?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 2:22 PM

Have you ever noticed the downtown core is generally devoid of the major food chains? We have 1 McDonald's across from the tunnel entrance, 1 Burger King that is down the street from the tunnel exit, and a Tim Horton's, near the tunnel exit. Wendy's was quite a ways down Ouellette, out of the core, and every other fast food chain that might be considered close to downtown is clustered along Tecumseh @ McDougall near Kennedy & Catholic Central high school almost 3km out of the downtown core.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 9:45 PM

I kind of like it that way, I'd much rather eat at a local restaurant than a fast food joint, although they are convenient sometimes. I bet that once Catholic Central moves into the old Barn (if it happens) that old fast food joint on Wyandotte near the tunnel entrance that is for rent, will be bought and renovated with one of the major fast food chains. They would have a great location to take advantage of all those high school kids.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 7:16 PM
Downtown

true, but why eat fast food when you have tunnel BBQ?? great ribs

Old Posted Apr 3, 2015, 11:08 PM

TBQ closed this winter.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2015, 8:14 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
TBQ closed this winter.
Really. Do you know what the reason was?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Really. Do you know what the reason was?
The owner Tom Racovitas (sp?) was having health issues and the university's plan to convert the old grey hound bus terminal into a media school fell through so the plan b was to buy the tunnel BBQ and demo the building and build a downtown media school on that site.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 4:11 AM

I thought the site was going to be used as part of the tunnel plaza.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 2:48 PM

The tunnel plaza reconfiguration is already complete.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 4:28 AM

Couple of projects that I heard about a few years ago, but I haven't heard about in a long time.

What ever happened to the idea to convert the old SW&A car barns on University to a new Penalty Box restaurant? I remember a plan that they would grow all of their own produce on site, but I haven't heard about this in ages.

What ever happened to the plan to construct a new high end night club with rooftop patio on Ouellette in the empty hole where the Drunken Burrito/Cleopatra's Rub N Tug once stood?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderStrat View Post
Couple of projects that I heard about a few years ago, but I haven't heard about in a long time.

What ever happened to the idea to convert the old SW&A car barns on University to a new Penalty Box restaurant? I remember a plan that they would grow all of their own produce on site, but I haven't heard about this in ages.

What ever happened to the plan to construct a new high end night club with rooftop patio on Ouellette in the empty hole where the Drunken Burrito/Cleopatra's Rub N Tug once stood?
I've been wondering about both of those myself, I haven't heard any updates in forever! Hopefully they will both happen!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
I've been wondering about both of those myself, I haven't heard any updates in forever! Hopefully they will both happen!
I also forgot to mention the plan to turn the old Million Dollar Saloon into a medical facility? I know the facade was completely redone and I think the interior was gutted, but that's another project that I haven't heard about in ages.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 12:13 AM

Quote:
I also forgot to mention the plan to turn the old Million Dollar Saloon into a medical facility? I know the facade was completely redone and I think the interior was gutted, but that's another project that I haven't heard about in ages.
That's right! I forgot about that one as well. Hopefully we will hear something about these stalled projects soon. This city can be so frustrating sometimes!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 2:56 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symz View Post
The owner Tom Racovitas (sp?) was having health issues and the university's plan to convert the old grey hound bus terminal into a media school fell through so the plan b was to buy the tunnel BBQ and demo the building and build a downtown media school on that site.
Thanks - that's unfortunate. It was a Windsor icon.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 9:54 AM

Quote:
That project seems to be DOA at the moment. Sad really, Chatham street could really use some help right now.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:

Hey! I'll try to answer some of your questions as I've tried to keep up in the media on some of this stuff over the last half year.

The old SW&A building on University first:

So, first when the reno of the building was in it's infancy the city shut down the project due to some red tape, probably because it's on the heritage list, see link here

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/news/pe...-then-resolved

Then, the posh Windsor Club which has resided in the top floor of the CIBC tower for over a decade decided it wanted to look for a new space. They were being courted by the Mikhails (their current landlords at the time in the CIBC building) who didn't want to see the club leave the space. At the same time Van Niforos owner of The Penalty Box halted his reno project on the SW&A building and had plans redrawn for the space to try to lure The Windsor Club into the SW$A building for a combined Windsor Club/Penalty Box probably so he could be the exclusive caterer. See the article and plans here

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/news/wi...d-by-landlords

Now, remember there was news that Hiram Walker was thinking of disposing of their reception centre located on Hiram Walker property adjacent the river?

There was some concern over the loss of the building, some even said it had heritage value. (I'd argue that, the building is mundane on the outside, but does have a nicely done, although imo dated interior). So Eddie Francis was adamant about saving the building and so he helped The Windsor Club and Hiram Walker's get together and they hammered out an agreement where The Windsor Club would move into the Hiram Walker Reception Centre, saving the building, and giving The Windsor club some new digs.

See here

http://windsorite.ca/2015/01/hiram-w...m-partnership/

So, to recap. The Mikhails in their CIBC building lost a long time tennant. The SW&A project was put on hold and redesigned to try to lure The Windsor Club into that location with a combined Penalty Box. Instead they moved into the old Hiram Walker's reception building thereby saving that building from demo and since then we have heard nothing about the conversion of the SW&A building into a new Penalty Box, it's just been sitting there half redone.

In regards to the high end club that was going to plug the hole on Ouellette where the Drunken Burrito etc was, well, we've heard nothing about that in months. I know they had ambitions of linking the building directly to the parking garage located behind it along Pelissier. Maybe they're working all that out?

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/news/pl...to-parking-lot

I have a feeling the Windsor Star likes to jump all over stories wayyyyy too premature.

I know that doesn't answer all your questions, but I hope it helps.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Thanks - that's unfortunate. It was a Windsor icon.
The nice thing about the use of the TBQ site is the new building will actually flesh out and fill the block a bit more, so less of a parking lot feel. The bad thing is the design of the building is kind of 'meh' and I believe the plans involve the demolition of the old Nut House on Goyeau.

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/news/un...l-bar-b-q-site

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario