HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

The Ferris Wheel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 3:06 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
It's a destination, and not a ride, for sure. I'm just emphasizing that if they're going to try to use other methods (like the proposed shopping destination) along with the wheel to attract people to the island, they should try to concentrate that flow of people to and not far from St.George.
Well, you are partially getting it. One thing, people already come, they just don't stay because there's nothing to do. There's already a captive market so to speak that Staten Island doesn't benefit from, and it's already popular among tourist, and that's the ferry itself. Now there will be a reason for tourist to "get off the boat" so to speak.

Quote:
I'm sure plenty of people from the Metro will come to the wheel within the first year or two, but like other tourist destinations in the city, I doubt it will generate a lot of interest from local people once it's been established.
Well, I disagree with you there. It will attract locals in the beginning, but that will only grow. New Yorkers or people from the area won't rush over just because its the "new thing to do". It's not a temporary attraction, it will be permanent one, and visitation will only increase in time. As a matter of fact, as is always the case, it will be an easier place to visit in the beginning because there will be less people.

Now, in addition to the regular riders and tourists on the ferry will be more tourists and new shoppers. I don't see how Staten Island can lose here, and I don't see your concerns.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 3:58 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 4:19 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Wow. 600ft. That is one hell of a big wheel. If only it were a bit closer to the lower manhattan skyline.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 5:29 PM

is this wheel in new york just a rumor?

how will it compare to the wheels in vegas?
they are building 2 wheels

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven=11 View Post
is this wheel in new york just a rumor?

how will it compare to the wheels in vegas?
they are building 2 wheels
No they aren't. Las Vegas is only building one wheel which would be 500 feet tall. The Staten Island Wheel would be 600 feet tall, and it's proposed so it isn't a rumor.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 11:03 PM
New Yorker for life

^ Supposedly they were building two in Vegas, with one already under construction. Neither would be larger than this one though.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-ferris-wheel/

Staten Island Gets Lift With Talk of a Mall and a Ferris Wheel

By VIVIAN YEE
August 23, 2012

Quote:
They come by the thousands, crowding onto the Staten Island Ferry with their cameras, eager for the ferry’s perfect views of New York Harbor, where the Statue of Liberty and Lower Manhattan gleam. But once on Staten Island, few make it out of the terminal, where a deck attached to the terminal offers a sweeping view of a parking lot caked with goose droppings, the small ballpark of the minor-league Staten Island Yankees and beyond, another parking lot.

All summer, however, the borough has been buzzing with reports that, if true, could finally propel Staten Island into the big leagues: the city is in talks with developers to build a half-million-square-foot outlet mall on one of the parking lots and a 600-foot-high observation wheel similar to the London Eye on the other. That would give Staten Island, New York’s most overlooked borough, an improbable distinction: the world’s tallest Ferris wheel. (Currently the tallest, at 541 feet, is in Singapore, though the London Eye, which is 443-feet tall, is probably the most famous.)

Neither Mr. Molinaro nor the city’s Economic Development Corporation would confirm that the observation wheel and outlet mall projects had pulled ahead of other proposals for the site, which New York City has been trying to develop for several years. But a person familiar with the development project said that the city was in advanced discussions with a developer, Plaza Capital Group Management, to build the wheel. The project would be called the New York Wheel and would offer dining and event spaces, the person said.

Last August, the city put out a request for ideas to develop the two parking lots, which total more than 14 acres, a spokesman for the Economic Development Corporation said. Mr. Molinaro, the borough president, said he expected the city to announce a deal on the sites by the end of September.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2012, 8:36 PM

http://www.brooklyndaily.com/stories..._08_31_bk.html

Coney Island wants massive observation wheel

Quote:
A massive observation wheel slated for Staten Island should be built in Coney Island, claim People’s Playground boosters who say the amusement district should be home to anything remotely amusing in the city.
Quote:
“Coney Island is America’s original amusement park and playground, and a natural location for the world’s tallest observation wheel,” said Borough President Markowitz, claiming that Coney’s existing attractions would draw far bigger crowds than Staten Island could ever provide.
I am just posting it, not that I agree with it. I think that Staten Island is a better place for it.
Although as some commentators of that article said, for the wheel as a tourist attraction itself, it would be better placed either in NJ across the river or in Brooklyn Bridge Park. In the last case, it would bring astonishing views of the New York Skyline, The Brooklyn Downtown and Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges. Also the Wheel itself would offer an iconic view from Manhattan. That's for the views and the potential as a major tourist atraction, I also understand that one of the goals is to help develop Staten Island and draw tourist out of the typical places.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2012, 9:24 PM
An Optimistic Realist

They can build Ferris wheels everywhere, I don't really care.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2012, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
Although as some commentators of that article said, for the wheel as a tourist attraction itself, it would be better placed either in NJ across the river or in Brooklyn Bridge Park. In the last case, it would bring astonishing views of the New York Skyline, The Brooklyn Downtown and Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges. Also the Wheel itself would offer an iconic view from Manhattan. That's for the views and the potential as a major tourist atraction, I also understand that one of the goals is to help develop Staten Island and draw tourist out of the typical places.
-
I think the best ground views of the city are from Weehawken or Green Point. But being so close to the skyline, you won't be able to see very far in the direction of all the tall buildings when you're on top of the Wheel. Meanwhile, from Staten Island there is enough distance from the city that the closer buildings don't block the further buildings. You'd also be able to see very far in most of the 360 degrees, which wouldn't be possible from the "Gold Coast" of NJ or BK+QNS.

I think Staten Island would be the perfect place for panoramas from 600 feet. This Wheel would be a great boon for the Island, and I would love to look out my window and see it every morning. Like I've said before, though, I think the investors may lose money on it.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2012, 3:20 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
I am just posting it, not that I agree with it. I think that Staten Island is a better place for it.
I read an article on that in the Brooklyn Paper, where it was correctly pointed out that those are two different worlds. Having a Wonder Wheel in Coney Island is something completely different from this observation wheel, two different audiences. Amusement park crowds want a quick thrill. This will not be that.

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf...ten_islan.html

Transformation of Staten Island waterfront could be coming soon

August 24, 2012
By Deborah Young

Quote:
The plan for what would be New York City's first outlet mall is one of three visions submitted by different developers to the city, outlining how they would transform the 6.7-acre swath of land into bustling commercial centers, according to the borough president. The site, like the parcel of land where the proposed wheel would be constructed, is emblematic of the area's untapped potential -- with jaw-dropping views and an estimated 2 million visitors every year, who these days just graze by after hopping off the ferry, before simply turning around and hopping back on.

"There are serious, serious negotiations going on as we speak," said Borough President James P. Molinaro. Although a report in Wednesday's Wall Street Journal focused exclusively on the outlet mall, he said two other proposals for more traditional shopping and business complexes are also on the table. "I know some of the details and the stumbling blocks. Whatever is going to happen is going to have to happen soon."

And as for the chances of actually seeing a 600-plus-foot-high observation wheel, outfitted with plush, temperature-controlled passenger capsules, where people can slowly take a spin and soak in the stunning skyline: It is no longer pie in the sky. "They are a lot closer than they were a month ago," said Molinaro of the negotiations between the city Economic Development Corporation and Plaza Capital Management, LLC and other investors to build the wheel.

"An announcement" could be made by early fall, the borough president said: "The clock is running. You can put money in the bank that those two sites are going to be developed and before 2014; they'll have everything ready to go."

http://www.silive.com/northshore/ind...uhgedabou.html

Surrender The Wheel? Fuhgedaboudit, says Staten Island's beep

September 04, 2012
By Judy L. Randall

Quote:
Hey, Brooklyn: Hands off The Wheel!

So said Borough President James Molinaro last week, amid remarks by his Brooklyn counterpart and grousing by the founder of Coney Island USA, who believe the proposed London Eye-style observation wheel Molinaro wants on Staten Island’s North Shore waterfront should be built in Brooklyn instead.

“It’s going to happen here, no place else,” Molinaro told the Advance. “It’s going to go here, right here. And it’s going to be a game-changer for Staten Island. We will be the island of whatever they will call the gadget — the Island of the Wheel, the Island of the Circle.”

He also lambasted critics for reducing the 600-foot-high observation wheel to a mere boardwalk amusement. “This is no Ferris wheel,” said Molinaro. “There are 45,000 Ferris wheels in the world. This is not one.”

Old Posted Sep 6, 2012, 7:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Oh wow. Those two apartment buildings up on the hill dominate the view from my bathroom and backyard. It would be pretty stunning to see this thing turning behind them every day.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2012, 2:26 PM

The answers to those responses are so simple...

1) Why New Jersey? This is a New York Wheel. Whoever had this response must have been doing crack at 6 AM in the morning. New Jersey has nothing to do with New York nor does it give it the title. That kicks New Jersey out of the equation.

2) Brooklyn Bridge Park would be such a nice place. There are some big problems though. There isn't enough room for one, and it would dominate the tallest skyscrapers of Brooklyn. It would look weird and out of place. It is already bustling with tourists making it redundant so it can't go there either.

3) Coney Island can build a wheel with their own money. It seems to have enough money to do so so if they want a wheel tell them to build it themselves. Coney Island is already bustling with tourists, and it doesn't have a good view of the Manhattan skyline too making it even less likely to go there.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2012, 3:57 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Oh wow. Those two apartment buildings up on the hill dominate the view from my bathroom and backyard. It would be pretty stunning to see this thing turning behind them every day.
It shouldn't be underestimated how much of an icon this thing will be at 600 ft. There are times when size matters, and even if this doesn't remain the largest (it likely won't), it's of such size that it can't be ignored. It will be a visual anchor for that end of the harbor like the Manhattan skyline is for the other end, joining the Verrazanno Narrows as a symbol of Staten Island. It will be on postcards, in movies, videos, it will create it's own tourists base, in addition to the ferry's own tourists base. It will be something entirely new for New York, where its hard to create something entirely new. Let them build it, and watch the people come.

I read somewhere that the complete trip on the NY Wheel would be an hour or so. I'm not sure about that, but here's a comparison of some other wheels...

http://www.luxurylaunches.com/travel..._in_moscow.php

Old Posted Sep 6, 2012, 9:36 PM

This wheel will be the new symbol the Staten Island. If I have well realized, it however will not be the the world's tallest wheel because the Beijing wheel is 208m.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2012, 1:40 AM
An Optimistic Realist

It's not even conceived yet, let alone approved by the city council. This wheel could be bigger and taller than what both China and Russia got under their sleeves. And I like the design of the Moscow wheel. We should take that into consideration. Although the days of building the tallest buildings are quite over for New York, stuff like ferris wheels and bridges should still hold world records here, as always.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2012, 2:06 AM

Quote:
It shouldn't be underestimated how much of an icon this thing will be at 600 ft. There are times when size matters, and even if this doesn't remain the largest (it likely won't), it's of such size that it can't be ignored. It will be a visual anchor for that end of the harbor like the Manhattan skyline is for the other end, joining the Verrazanno Narrows as a symbol of Staten Island. It will be on postcards, in movies, videos, it will create it's own tourists base, in addition to the ferry's own tourists base. It will be something entirely new for New York, where its hard to create something entirely new. Let them build it, and watch the people come.
-
I think you may have misunderstood my original "complaints" about the wheel. I think it will be good for Staten Island, regardless. I'm just not convinced the investors will turn a profit, and I'm concerned that it may often be under-utilized and that would make me kind of sad. Like I said, I have no crystal ball, but comparing this to other observation wheels and their locations within their cities, the Staten Island proposal would be more off-center than it's predecessors. The Central Banks of the River Thames receive a larger percentage of it's cities visitors. Even Marina Bay in Singapore gets more traffic than Staten Island relative to the size of it's city, and I've looked for evidence that the investors of the Singapore Flyer have turned a profit and I have found nothing.

Quote:
I read somewhere that the complete trip on the NY Wheel would be an hour or so. I'm not sure about that, but here's a comparison of some other wheels...

http://www.luxurylaunches.com/travel..._in_moscow.php

-
Nice diagram. The design for Moscow is incredible. It reminds me of the space ship from Contact.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2012, 3:28 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchester united View Post
it however will not be the the world's tallest wheel because the Beijing wheel is 208m.
I don't believe that one ever got completed, but if it has, yes it would be taller.

Quote:
I'm just not convinced the investors will turn a profit,
If you're worried about investors turning a profit, you shouldn't be. They're in it for a reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY
I'm concerned that it may often be under-utilized and that would make me kind of sad. Like I said, I have no crystal ball, but comparing this to other observation wheels and their locations within their cities, the Staten Island proposal would be more off-center than it's predecessors.
But you still fail to understand the underlying reason it's being proposed where it is, and why the City is on board with it.

Quote:
The site, like the parcel of land where the proposed wheel would be constructed, is emblematic of the area's untapped potential -- with jaw-dropping views and an estimated 2 million visitors every year, who these days just graze by after hopping off the ferry, before simply turning around and hopping back on.
There is already a built-in base to draw from. But it will be an attraction of its own, generating it's own visitors and tourists alike.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2012, 4:28 PM
Come As You Are

The Moscow Wheel is amazing!!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2012, 2:23 AM

Quote:
If you're worried about investors turning a profit, you shouldn't be. They're in it for a reason
-
But you still fail to understand the underlying reason it's being proposed where it is, and why the City is on board with it.
-
There is already a built-in base to draw from. But it will be an attraction of its own, generating it's own visitors and tourists alike.
-
Well I never said I was worried. Even if investors run out of funding and it ends up out of operation, or the city takes it over; I will still derive enjoyment from it, even if it would be a little sad. I'm merely discussing my thoughts on whether it will be a success in that matter.

I've taken the ferry over a thousand times, I'm well aware that there is a built in base of tourists, and it will be built within an urban area of 22ish million people (albeit in the 2nd/3rd "ring"). Understand that the majority of tourists spend their time in Manhattan, and that even with the ferry, St.George can not compete with central London for access to the tourist market. Considering that several of these observation wheels have faced economic troubles, it's something to consider.

Regardless, I hope you're right, and I'm glad the city is trying to spread the tourist love a little.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2012, 4:21 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
-
Well I never said I was worried. Even if investors run out of funding and it ends up out of operation, or the city takes it over; I will still derive enjoyment from it, even if it would be a little sad. I'm merely discussing my thoughts on whether it will be a success in that matter.

I've taken the ferry over a thousand times, I'm well aware that there is a built in base of tourists, and it will be built within an urban area of 22ish million people (albeit in the 2nd/3rd "ring").
Well, let's just say you sound very concerned that something will go wrong.

Quote:
Understand that the majority of tourists spend their time in Manhattan, and that even with the ferry, St.George can not compete with central London for access to the tourist market. Considering that several of these observation wheels have faced economic troubles, it's something to consider.
Also understand that St. George is not intended to compete with Central London. That' is not the way it works. People stand in long lines for a simple trip to the Statue of Liberty, but you wouldn't say there's a lot to do on that island either. Listen, there's always a possibility that things can go wrong, but there is really no reason to believe things can't or won't go right as far as this development goes. New York City is not run by a bunch of amateurs, and I don't think anybody involved in this proposal is in it to lose money. And all would have far more concerns about it than you or I, so if it moves forward, you better believe it's because there's a pretty good chance of success here.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects