HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrdeeharharharbour View Post
... The Bragg land on Robie next door is already an eyesore. We don't need more of that in the same area. ...
Yes - I think what Andy is making noise about is tied to a comprehensive plan for the lands bounded by Young, Almon, Windsor, and Robie. It's a big parcel of land, with multiple owners, and I suspect having the Canada Post site become developable, like the Bragg-former-Piercy's-former-rail-depot, would be important to minimizing compromises to the planning.

Edited to add: good access to road networks, good access to existing transit routes, proximity to planned transit priority corridors, and proximity to impending active transportation infrastructure makes this chunk more critical than some of the others you mentioned (at least, to me).

Old Posted Feb 26, 2024, 4:46 PM
Cap the Cut!

Yes, my point being don't tear anything down until there's an immediate need for it. Also, I'm curious, is there an assumption that housing on this site will be more affordable than elsewhere? In the case of the Cogswell land the city could sell with conditions whereas the city wouldn't own the former post office land. Also, given the development in the north end, it could easily soon become the more desirable place on the peninsula to live (for urban lovers) as opposed to the current downtown. Little doubt that developers are picking up on this and will act accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Those are all spoken for already.

It's privately-owned property that they will likely do something with in due course.

Those will not be appropriate for any sort of lower-income housing. HRM needs to cash in big on the selling prices to pay for their Cogswell dreams.

Again, all privately-owned and planned for redevelopment eventually. You need to remember there is only so much construction capacity available to do all of these things, and the construction industry is going flat-out as it is. Everything will happen in due course.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 4:49 PM

5 Floors | 50 Units | Mixed-Use | $9.5 M | 25 Crystal Drive, Dartmouth | Unknown

HalifaxDevelopments.ca (Photo by David Jackson)

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 10:23 PM

Is highfield park up next for some ol' gentrification?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 11:15 AM
Cap the Cut!

Below is a screenshot taken from the proposed urgent planning changes document showing the Highfield Park area with heights of up to 40 stories.

Screenshot 2024-03-08 11.06.10 AM by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 12:11 PM

Well that's interesting. There are some businesses that have large surface parking lots or take up a lot of area with floor space. Depending upon ownership and business case, they could be good candidates for density-adding. There's a small bus terminal along Highfield that would be of benefit. Perhaps it could be expanded and routes added (someday) to the Shannon Park ferry that is planned.

There are a lot of 3 storey residential units that would be ripe for redevelopment as well at some point, once the housing crisis has become less critical.

Source

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 3:36 PM

Highfield Park Drive is also supposed to have transit lanes and a protected bikeway in the future, under the Rapid Transit Strategy and Integrated Mobility Plan respectively.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2024, 3:50 PM

Another North Dartmouth used car dealership will be closing/relocating. This time it's Capital Auto at 294 WINDMILL ROAD (at Farrell) which is planned to become a 7-floor, 79-unit residential building.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 3:28 PM

Development-only Permit submitted for 119 PINECREST DRIVE for a 5-storey residential building. This is the fourth new building for the immediate area. Nice to see the walkshed for Highfield Terminal is seeing good infill projects.

Also over in Halifax,

7 Floors | 117 Units | Residential | $21.0M | 3521 Windsor Street, Halifax | Unknown

Old Posted Mar 19, 2024, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Also over in Halifax,

7 Floors | 117 Units | Residential | $21.0M | 3521 Windsor Street, Halifax | Unknown
Great! I was just walking by this while running an errand on Strawberry Hill and was curious, no doubt Dmajackson had the goods

Slowly but surely the Kempt Rd. parking lot will be filled in ... slowly...

Old Posted Mar 20, 2024, 11:29 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Development-only Permit submitted for 119 PINECREST DRIVE for a 5-storey residential building. This is the fourth new building for the immediate area. Nice to see the walkshed for Highfield Terminal is seeing good infill projects.
Hoping to gradually see some higher infill projects though. Infill is great, but lets dare to take some to the 10s and 12s for a bit.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2024, 3:03 AM

Dalhousie Announcement in Toronto

Howdy

I saw on IG today that Dalhousie is having a big announcement in Toronto in April. Does anyone know anything about it? The best case scenario is some sort of campus in the central city. Or it could be nothing.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 8:20 PM

1018 SOUTH PARK STREET, HALIFAX is setting up it's construction barriers.

8 Floors | 55 Units | Residential | $12.0 M | 1018 South Park Street, Halifax | Unknown

Last edited by Dmajackson; Mar 25, 2024 at 2:58 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 4:03 PM

The residential conversion of Nelson Place (5675 Spring Garden) had it's building permit issued last week for 76 units at $10.6M.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 4:43 PM

Quote:

8 Floors | 55 Units | Residential | $12.0 M | 1018 South Park Street, Halifax | Unknown

[I'll insert a photo here when the post is made public ]
That's the former Chrisian Science reading room, always a pleasant building on that corner on a lovely lot. Sadly I suspect the landscaping will not survive (if it even has made it this far already).

Nelson Place is, I assume, another office-to-residential conversion? That is an office structure I have never set foot in. One of the most under-the-radar office buildings downtown.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Nelson Place is, I assume, another office-to-residential conversion? That is an office structure I have never set foot in. One of the most under-the-radar office buildings downtown.
Under the radar for sure. I was in it several times in the 70s and it's a totally forgettable, plain vanilla, generic office building of its day (or at least it was back then; I have no idea whether it was ever renovated). I suspect that most who were never in it and only saw it from the outside probably just assumed that it was part of the Lord Nelson.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 5:21 PM

Quote:

Finally! Was looking forward to see that corner used. Anyone knows if there are any renders available?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2halifax View Post
Finally! Was looking forward to see that corner used. Anyone knows if there are any renders available?
No renders on the owner's site so far. It's owned by NorthPoint Properties who typically owns smaller and older buildings with an exception for the addition at the heritage property they built across the street at 1027 South Park. The addition seems nice from the street but they are asking $3,000 for a two-bedroom which is worrisome for the future rents at this development.

Regardless and from what I know, this appears to be their first large-scale project so I am curious to see what their development style is. Fingers crossed it is something unique!

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:41 AM

^Northpoint also built the new building across Inglis Street at Ivanhoe (civic 5726).

Northpoint Properties Instagram

I wonder if they own any other lots in the area.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth