HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1041  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 8:03 PM
RWin's Avatar
RWin RWin is offline
of Canada
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Calgary AB
Posts: 2,853
Thanks guys!
__________________
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1042  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 5:21 AM
RWin's Avatar
RWin RWin is offline
of Canada
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Calgary AB
Posts: 2,853
So we ended up in Canmore instead. Went to Tapas for dinner. Well, a selection of appetizers actually. I would highly recommend it.

The quality of the restaurants around these parts probably shouldn't amaze me any more.
__________________
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1043  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2008, 6:36 PM
bigcanuck bigcanuck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWin View Post
So we ended up in Canmore instead. Went to Tapas for dinner. Well, a selection of appetizers actually. I would highly recommend it.
Tapas is one of our favourites in Canmore - one of the better wine lists as well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1044  
Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 2:45 AM
IntotheWest's Avatar
IntotheWest IntotheWest is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Okotoks (Calgary)
Posts: 2,916
I'll throw out some praise for another restaurant here in Okotoks that we finally got to try...Bistro Provence. I had the Duck Magret, and my wife tried a "fish-of-the-day" plate (can't recall the fish!)...finished with a traditional Creme Brulee (what else?!).

Anyway, the unpretentious atmosphere is almost refreshing (very similar to its neighbour old-house-turned-restaurant Caffe Divine). Very relaxing. No appetizers this time, but still surprised the bill was only $90...including two coffees, and a half-bottle of wine.

Now that we've got the two "nice" restaurants out of the way in Okotoks, we have to get back in Calgary to try some...our list keeps getting longer all the time!
__________________
Download Google Earth 4 "Calgary Downtown" Collection of buildings here - http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1045  
Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 10:26 PM
sync's Avatar
sync sync is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,758
can i get a recommendation for a moderately priced italian restaurant?
__________________
You will never get the crowd to cry Hosanna until you ride into town on an ass.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1046  
Old Posted Jun 26, 2008, 11:57 PM
IntotheWest's Avatar
IntotheWest IntotheWest is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Okotoks (Calgary)
Posts: 2,916
^You know, the closest I've ever had to "authentic" Italian, is in south Austria...so, I'm probably not the best judge. I know it's not Chiantis

I like Teatro a few years ago, not sure how much has changed though.

And, I thought there was a well-respected Italian restaurant up in Bridgeland, or north off Edm Tr? Center St?? Geez...might have to search and see if I find what I'm thinking of...
__________________
Download Google Earth 4 "Calgary Downtown" Collection of buildings here - http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1047  
Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 12:41 AM
sync's Avatar
sync sync is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,758
i've got these ones in mind, but i've never been to any of them:

sugo

antolini's

da paolo

abruzzo

capriccio?

if anyone has eaten at any of these places i'd appreciate a review!
__________________
You will never get the crowd to cry Hosanna until you ride into town on an ass.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1048  
Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 1:14 AM
IntotheWest's Avatar
IntotheWest IntotheWest is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Okotoks (Calgary)
Posts: 2,916
^Geez...I'd love to help you - I'm so out of touch with Calgary's restaurants now, this seems like my only link!
__________________
Download Google Earth 4 "Calgary Downtown" Collection of buildings here - http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1049  
Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 1:29 PM
NumberFive NumberFive is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
And, I thought there was a well-respected Italian restaurant up in Bridgeland, or north off Edm Tr? Center St?? Geez...might have to search and see if I find what I'm thinking of...
La Dolce Vita? I think that's what it's called... I've never been, but a couple people at work here really like it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1050  
Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 3:49 PM
Rusty van Reddick's Avatar
Rusty van Reddick Rusty van Reddick is offline
formerly-furry flâneur
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bankview, Calgary
Posts: 6,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by sync View Post
i've got these ones in mind, but i've never been to any of them:

sugo

antolini's

da paolo

abruzzo

capriccio?

if anyone has eaten at any of these places i'd appreciate a review!
Sugo is pretty pricey- never eaten there but have heard good things.

Antolini's- really want to like this place but can't see the value or really the quality- got 2 pastas and some sort of appie and all I remember is that everything came with the same boring rose sauce - using homemade pasta isn't nearly as distinctive as they seem to think it is- and the place is ALWAYS empty. If I want Ital on 17th I go to Buon Giorno.

Da Paolo- also not cheap- have heard very good things, not eaten there

Abruzzo- good smells, nice menu, good prices, never tried it

Capriccio- looks great, Lina's connection (I think), must try, heard prices are very decent

Other places to check out that are reasonable:

Il Centro and Pulcinella for superb authentic pizzas, the lunch "tavola calda" at Lina's which is still my favourite Italian resto in the whole freaking country- nobody makes risotto balls like Lina's!

I also have to put in good word for high end but superb, never-miss Italian at Centini.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1051  
Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 6:12 PM
sync's Avatar
sync sync is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,758
thanks very much furry!
__________________
You will never get the crowd to cry Hosanna until you ride into town on an ass.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1052  
Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 6:13 PM
Canterra's Avatar
Canterra Canterra is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Calgary
Posts: 383
Yes, Centini is great.
I enjoyed their butternut squash ravioli wednesday before seeing Pink Martini across the street.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1053  
Old Posted Jun 30, 2008, 8:18 PM
SteveP SteveP is offline
Reach for the heavens
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,310
I've had good luck with Buon Giorno, but have to admit, that I haven't been there recently. I went to Il sogno about three years ago, and it was great. Not cheap, but very good.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1054  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 3:16 AM
Surrealplaces's Avatar
Surrealplaces Surrealplaces is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cowtropolis
Posts: 20,012
Re: The Livingroom

Went to the Livingroom Saturday evening for some drinks and and some dinner. I came away with mixed feelings.

+
The patio is outstanding, one of the best in the city IMO.
The atmosphere is great too.
Some of the drinks we had were good, albeit, a bit pricey.

-
The food was another story. I found it to be overpriced, and not that great of quality. I ordered a tenderloin with seared foie gras on top. It would have been pretty good, except they drizzled raspberry coulee over it. WTFT?
My wife's pasta dish had very little flavor to it...I've made much better pasta dishes myself.

All in all, very expensive, but the food was disappointing. I've had much better dinners for the same price range, at Vintage, Tribune and Saltlik. I think it would be a great place to have a few drinks and a couple of apps. Just my opinion, has anyone else eaten there recently?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1055  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 3:46 AM
MalcolmTucker MalcolmTucker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 10,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post
Went to the Livingroom Saturday evening for some drinks and and some dinner. I came away with mixed feelings.

+
The patio is outstanding, one of the best in the city IMO.
The atmosphere is great too.
Some of the drinks we had were good, albeit, a bit pricey.

-
The food was another story. I found it to be overpriced, and not that great of quality. I ordered a tenderloin with seared foie gras on top. It would have been pretty good, except they drizzled raspberry coulee over it. WTFT?
My wife's pasta dish had very little flavor to it...I've made much better pasta dishes myself.

All in all, very expensive, but the food was disappointing. I've had much better dinners for the same price range, at Vintage, Tribune and Saltlik. I think it would be a great place to have a few drinks and a couple of apps. Just my opinion, has anyone else eaten there recently?
I have, it seems to be the end of its cycle. I wouldn't be surprised if in a year it is closed to be replaced by something else.

The menu surprise, 5 course is usually pretty good, as most places that attempt such a thing usually try to back it up. I've never been disappointed there. For meals, its like a lot of high end places, order the most adventurous thing on the menu you think you would like, because it seems more effort is put into the unusual. The raspberry coulee while seeming out of place, I could see how it would work. The pasta I can't comment on, but at some places pasta is put on the menu to feed people that otherwise would not have something on the menu that fit their taste. Sorta like including a plain old steak on a mostly 'experimental' menu. The fondue for dessert is exceptionally good.

As for cost, if you avoid wine and stick to beer or high balls you can keep your cost down. With the price inflation at Earls and Joey Tomatoes type places it isn't that much more anymore.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1056  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 4:28 AM
Me&You Me&You is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_olsen View Post
... With the price inflation at Earls and Joey Tomatoes type places it isn't that much more anymore.
Amen to that!

I've been to the Living Room a couple times in the last month, but only for drinks. I echo Surrealplaces comment about the fantastic patio.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1057  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 6:25 AM
Rusty van Reddick's Avatar
Rusty van Reddick Rusty van Reddick is offline
formerly-furry flâneur
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bankview, Calgary
Posts: 6,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_olsen View Post
As for cost, if you avoid wine and stick to beer or high balls you can keep your cost down. With the price inflation at Earls and Joey Tomatoes type places it isn't that much more anymore.
I stick to water and have stopped apologising for it! You would not believe how much you save- and if you, like me, just don't care for wine (or really most alcohol) it's not a sacrifice at all.

Tasting menu at Chef's Table without wine pairings: $95. With: $155.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1058  
Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 11:50 PM
Surrealplaces's Avatar
Surrealplaces Surrealplaces is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Cowtropolis
Posts: 20,012
To me the Raspberry coulee seemed like it was a dish trying to hard to be different. Sometimes fruity/berry flavored things can go well with savory flavors, but this really didn't go with the steak and foie gras. I'm still ticked about it

You're probably right about the pasta, but IMO, there's no excuse for serving pasta with little flavor. Either serve it well or don't serve it at all.

The deserts were good, I forgot to mention that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_olsen View Post
I have, it seems to be the end of its cycle. I wouldn't be surprised if in a year it is closed to be replaced by something else.

The menu surprise, 5 course is usually pretty good, as most places that attempt such a thing usually try to back it up. I've never been disappointed there. For meals, its like a lot of high end places, order the most adventurous thing on the menu you think you would like, because it seems more effort is put into the unusual. The raspberry coulee while seeming out of place, I could see how it would work. The pasta I can't comment on, but at some places pasta is put on the menu to feed people that otherwise would not have something on the menu that fit their taste. Sorta like including a plain old steak on a mostly 'experimental' menu. The fondue for dessert is exceptionally good.

As for cost, if you avoid wine and stick to beer or high balls you can keep your cost down. With the price inflation at Earls and Joey Tomatoes type places it isn't that much more anymore.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1059  
Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 2:26 PM
Innersoul1's Avatar
Innersoul1 Innersoul1 is offline
City of Blinding Lights
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,682
I went to Globefish in Kensington over the weekend. FANTASTIC as usual. Great news, they are moving just next door into a larger location! Excited I am! LOL
__________________
Sweet dreams are made of cheese. Who am I to diss a brie?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1060  
Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 4:11 PM
Danma's Avatar
Danma Danma is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 212
Good to hear globefish is moving into a larger location, I've never been fond of their current place.
__________________
http://www.pocky.org/
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:22 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.