HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 7:09 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

I went to Parthenon tonight. Food was great, service even better.

Would've been perfect if I didn't get a speeding ticket on my way home. 134km/h in a 110 between the city and Okotoks, at the bottom of that big hill, $211. Ruined a fine night.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 2:43 PM
of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
I went to Parthenon tonight. Food was great, service even better.
Thats good to hear. Last time we went there the service was not so good.
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 2:44 PM

^Parthenon is a sure bet for Greek food. Hopefully your experience there was a 'one of' type night.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 5:48 PM
of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
^Parthenon is a sure bet for Greek food. Hopefully your experience there was a 'one of' type night.
I hope so. It was my favorite before then. Now I'm a little reluctant to go back. We've been to Broken Plate since then which is also very good. But I think its a little more expensive and not as much choice.
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 7:46 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Yeah, I thought the menu at Parthenon was huge.

My mom and I had the platter for two, which was a good way to try several things.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 12:05 AM
Calgarian

I've always had excellent service at the Parthenon - it must have been a one-time thing for you, RWin.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 2:27 PM

Has anyone here eaten at Tribune on Stephen ave? I might be going there tonight, and was just curious.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 4:21 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Tarsus- Tribune is great! And excellent service!

Okay, the hubby and I will be celebrating our anniversary at The Chef's Table, the new restaurant at Kensington Riverside Inn, this evening. The chef apprenticed at Fat Duck in London (currently ranked #2 best resto in the world after Bulli in Spain- don't ask me how these ratings are done, it's just what I've read), and reviews are glowing. I'll probably blog about it.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 8:59 PM
Editor

I can echo what furry said about Tribune. It's not cheap by any means, but they have great food, and its ambiance is one of the best in town IMO. I'll be looking forward to Furry's blog about Chef's Table.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 4:38 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

CHEF'S TABLE WAS INCREDIBLE! Preparing massive review for blog now. GO GO GO.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 8:15 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 8:31 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarsus View Post
Has anyone here eaten at Tribune on Stephen ave? I might be going there tonight, and was just curious.
Yeah I will echo the sentiments of the others. Tribune is amazing, the food and ambiance is wonderful but the service really sets it apart from the rest!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 8:40 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrycanuck View Post
WOW!!! Fantastic review! Looks like you shared an AMAZING dinner! What sory of price range are you looking at?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 8:50 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
WOW!!! Fantastic review! Looks like you shared an AMAZING dinner! What sory of price range are you looking at?
Damn, I forgot that part. $95 for the 5 courses, $20 if you choose the cheese plate (we split one), $60 for wine pairings (five, with very generous pours). The last pairing was actually a delicious strawberry Belgian beer.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 9:26 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Damn, I forgot that part. $95 for the 5 courses, $20 if you choose the cheese plate (we split one), $60 for wine pairings (five, with very generous pours). The last pairing was actually a delicious strawberry Belgian beer.
Thanks!

Was it Belle-Vue Kriek by chance? I love that beer!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 10:29 PM
Build'em high!

Quote:
Nice review Furry.

Folks this thread is almost at 1000 posts. A successful thread IMO.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 11:01 PM
City of Blinding Lights

On Friday me and Kristen headed to the Laurier Lounge for dinner. Let me say that it was a FANTASTIC experience. Now we had heard mixed reviews before lots of positive and the majority of the negative pertaining to price. This is fair, the price of some of the entrees are quite high and this sums up the fondue items also. But for the most part I would say that the prices were reasonable.

I strarted with a mojito and it was quite impressivem very well made. Kristen had a martini called The Liberal Spank-great name great presentation.

We decided that we would have tapas and appies. So we shared the PEI Mussels and the smoked salmon bruschetta. The mussels served in a curry sauce with baugette were very good but the bruschetta was OUTSTANDING! You must try this!

We still had room in our bellies so we shared a half litre of the Zenato Valpolicella - a great wine and ordered the shrimp and lobster raviolli to share.
THe chefs spilit it into tow bowls, the lobster stuffed raviolli was fantastic as was the sauce. The piece of bauguette on the side that they gave us was great for getting every last bit of the sauce. At $22 this item is somwhat pricey given that there are only 4 pieces of very large ravioli and 4 shrimp but very tasty.

Our service was OUTSTANDING and this is often hard to say given the recent drop in quality service at this venue. Our waitress was courteous and always there when we needed here. I was very very impressed.

As for decore, the Laurier Lounge is in an old house on 7th st between 11th and 12th ave SW (Right across from Xenex). Very intimate as tables are close together. But this was nice as we compared meals with the couple next to us. The gentleman had the Ravioli also and his daughter had the "Real Deal" Poutine, which she said was the best she had ever had.

The house music playing was also a nice contrast given what I expected. We ate upstairs but the downstairs has a nice lounge and a very cute patio. great for after work drinks!

Check it out! It was fantastic.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2008, 5:21 AM
not a NIMBY

sure it was his daughter!!!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2008, 3:00 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingforthecity View Post
sure it was his daughter!!!
LOL I was totally waiting for that response! Yeah I am pretty sure! It was one of those divorce situations. Dad takes daughter out for dinner. But I was actually pretty impressed with their relationship...I am sure most fathers would be envious.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2008, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
On Friday me and Kristen headed to the Laurier Lounge for dinner. Let me say that it was a FANTASTIC experience. Now we had heard mixed reviews before lots of positive and the majority of the negative pertaining to price. This is fair, the price of some of the entrees are quite high and this sums up the fondue items also. But for the most part I would say that the prices were reasonable.

I strarted with a mojito and it was quite impressivem very well made. Kristen had a martini called The Liberal Spank-great name great presentation.

We decided that we would have tapas and appies. So we shared the PEI Mussels and the smoked salmon bruschetta. The mussels served in a curry sauce with baugette were very good but the bruschetta was OUTSTANDING! You must try this!

We still had room in our bellies so we shared a half litre of the Zenato Valpolicella - a great wine and ordered the shrimp and lobster raviolli to share.
THe chefs spilit it into tow bowls, the lobster stuffed raviolli was fantastic as was the sauce. The piece of bauguette on the side that they gave us was great for getting every last bit of the sauce. At $22 this item is somwhat pricey given that there are only 4 pieces of very large ravioli and 4 shrimp but very tasty.

Our service was OUTSTANDING and this is often hard to say given the recent drop in quality service at this venue. Our waitress was courteous and always there when we needed here. I was very very impressed.

As for decore, the Laurier Lounge is in an old house on 7th st between 11th and 12th ave SW (Right across from Xenex). Very intimate as tables are close together. But this was nice as we compared meals with the couple next to us. The gentleman had the Ravioli also and his daughter had the "Real Deal" Poutine, which she said was the best she had ever had.

The house music playing was also a nice contrast given what I expected. We ate upstairs but the downstairs has a nice lounge and a very cute patio. great for after work drinks!

Check it out! It was fantastic.
I wonder how it compares to the lobster Poutine at Brava Bistro (by far the best I've ever had).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation