HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 7:07 PM

Last week I posted a few pictures of the Subway Terminal parking garage. Here's another picture I found which shows it as the Savoy Auto Park as construction begins on the Subway Terminal Building (a similar picture can be seen here in one of Flyingwedge's recent posts). The Trenton and Fremont hotels are visible on Olive, but what's the large building to the left of the Trenton? I've seen maps with that plot named as the Southern California Telephone Company building, but is that what we see here?
NB. I've grayscaled all of the CSL images to improve clarity.

California State Library

Here's another view of the building on Olive taken from a 1930 panorama. That looks like a Bell System logo on the side. The building currently at 433 S Olive belongs to AT&T.

Detail of picture in USC Digital Library

Back to the Subway Terminal Building, and as the main structure goes up in the background, work begins on the Subway Terminal Service Building on 4th. The former Hotel Sheldon now seems to be called the Hotel Eddy. The parking garage is on the right.

California State Library

The CSL has a whole series of construction pictures for both the Subway Terminal Building and the Subway Terminal Service Building. Here's the latter with its framework in place.

California State Library

And here it is with the exterior nearly finished.

California State Library

My original post also mentioned the fake painted windows on the back of the Subway Terminal Building. This is LAPL's caption for the picture below.

"The painted facade of the Subway Terminal Building also features a painting of the painters at work, or trompe l'oeil (trick of the eye). This is a close-up view of murals on a blank exterior wall, adding 62 painted windows as part of a $3-million restoration. Artist Jeff Greene, using silica-based mineral paint, painted the 560' x 28' mural in 1986."

LAPL

The fake windows are still there, but the fake painters have gone.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 8:03 PM

good post HossC.
I had to take another look at the Subway Terminal Building. I knew nothing about the service building on 4th street.

google_earth

4th Street building entrance

GSV

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 16, 2014 at 8:25 PM.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 8:28 PM

Besgrade Flour

ebay

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 8:35 PM

ebay

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 11:45 PM

beautiful graphic.

a noirish looking bar from the 1940s.

ebay

ebay

the Brix Cocktails address today. Sadly replaced with a building of no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

GSV
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 17, 2014 at 2:29 AM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 1:32 AM

A few days ago I came across this truck on ebay.

ebay

Since we've discussed so many osteopathic hospitals, sanitariums and colleges here on NLA, I'm not 100% sure where the truck belongs.

It might be from the Osteopathic Sanitarium Hospital at 235 N. Hoover. (posted by GW)

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=18133

..or it could be from the

posted by ER at http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=15314

It's difficult to figure out.
__

About the same time I came across the osteopathic truck, I also found this impressive postcard from 1907.

ebay

-previously we only had this illustration, so the postcard is a great improvement.

ER at http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=18135

HossC's posts maps here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=18137

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 17, 2014 at 2:14 AM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 2:21 AM

Los Angeles 1960

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 2:26 AM

Auto parts store on West Pico. (no specific address)

ebay

This store seems especially modern when compared to the automobiles.
__

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Los Angeles 1960

I may be wrong but thats Layfeeet Square, and not an apartment building but Paul R Williams home.It on St. Charles near Western. The area looks the same minus the old car and the mini palm.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 3:57 AM

Quote:

google_earth
On LA Noire, there is a tunnel exit about where the two level parking is behind the building. If you drive through it, it exits at Belmont station. Unfortunately, you can't enter the building to see the terminal in the basement.

It's a shame they couldn't have used the basement terminal for the new subways. Does the new subway entrance below the park go deeper than the old terminal?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

Back to the Subway Terminal Building, and as the main structure goes up in the background, work begins on the Subway Terminal Service Building on 4th. The former Hotel Sheldon now seems to be called the Hotel Eddy. The parking garage is on the right.

California State Library

The CSL has a whole series of construction pictures for both the Subway Terminal Building and the Subway Terminal Service Building. Here's the latter with its framework in place.

California State Library

And here it is with the exterior nearly finished.

California State Library

My original post also mentioned the fake painted windows on the back of the Subway Terminal Building. This is LAPL's caption for the picture below.

"The painted facade of the Subway Terminal Building also features a painting of the painters at work, or trompe l'oeil (trick of the eye). This is a close-up view of murals on a blank exterior wall, adding 62 painted windows as part of a $3-million restoration. Artist Jeff Greene, using silica-based mineral paint, painted the 560' x 28' mural in 1986."

LAPL

Have they? Or are they just not quite in the assumed place?

Me, taken from the south end of the plaza at the top of Angel's Flight

The old garage is on the right side of the Subway Terminal Service Building, with trompe l'oeil above it, but there is also now a garage on the left side as well, and more trompe l'oeil. There are our painters, on the left.

Here's another shot, taken from 4th St. just east of Hill:

Me again

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 7:06 AM

I hope these guys had health insurance

Pacific Guano Fertilizer Company, 1929 (4522 Worth St., East LA; newer-looking building now on site)

I don't think it's ever a good idea to stand in front of a 12-foot-high concave wall of dried bird sh*t; one moderate earthquake and this guy is a Darwin Award winner!
It looks like it would have been pretty dark in there, too, without the flash from the photo (the guy is holding a flashlight):

No hardhat, no eye protection, no mask, no gloves, no nuthin' -- and I hope he's not trying to pull that one sack out of the middle:

At least they had some mechanized help with all those sacks:

All USCDL -- http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...id/14239/rec/6

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Apr 18, 2014 at 6:18 AM. Reason: I wrote helmet but meant hardhat

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProphetM View Post

Have they? Or are they just not quite in the assumed place?

The old garage is on the right side of the Subway Terminal Service Building, with trompe l'oeil above it, but there is also now a garage on the left side as well, and more trompe l'oeil. There are our painters, on the left.

Here's another shot, taken from 4th St. just east of Hill:

Me again
Thanks for the correction, ProphetM. I concentrated my attention on the rear of the building and didn't realize that the mural continued to the front. It's good to know that the painters are still there.

-----------------

Another quick "then and now".

Luther's Automotive Service at 1212 W Slauson, seen here in 1933.

USC Digital Library

Slauson Auto Restoration at 1212 W Slauson, seen here in 2011. The window on the left has been boarded up, but I think it's the same building.

GSV

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihikid View Post

Quote:
Los Angeles 1960

I may be wrong but thats Layfeeet Square, and not an apartment building but Paul R Williams home.It on St. Charles near Western. The area looks the same minus the old car and the mini palm.

You're right, uni, that's Paul Williams's house at 1690 S Victoria. More here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1885

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Another quick "then and now".

Luther's Automotive Service at 1212 W Slauson, seen here in 1933.

USC Digital Library/GSV

Slauson Auto Restoration at 1212 W Slauson, seen here in 2011. The window on the left has been boarded up, but I think it's the same building.

The urns are gone, not surprisingly, but I was amazed to see that what appear to be the original four lights aimed at the signage are still there. Wonder if they still work?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 1:16 PM

Union Oil gas station on the north east corner of S Western Avenue and W Slauson Avenue in 1933.

USC Digital Library

The gas station appears to be unchanged on this 1954 aerial.

Historic Aerials

A close-up of the house that can be seen through the left side of the gas station.

Detail of picture above.

The layout of the gas station has changed over the years, but the house on 58th Street is still there.

Google Maps

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 2:02 PM

I am completely fascinated with the Willat/Spadena/Witch's House. I built a 1/2" = 1' scale model based on photos I collected from the internet. I'd post a picture but I haven't figured that out yet. I've since discovered drawings on the BeverlyHills.Org site from when the Greens remodeled it. Now I want to build a larger, more accurate model. I am working with the owner of the Beverly Hills Heritage f/b page. Does anyone out there know the colors of the shingles on the Willat Studios location of this house? I have a tinted postcard but don't know if it's accurate. Thank you.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 3:32 PM

Good luck on your project whizbang! I don't know the color of the shingles though.
__

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 3:49 PM

How about a "then, then and now"? The old Sunset Boulevard overpass gets replaced with a single span.

"View of the Sunset Boulevard overpass on Glendale Boulevard before reconstruction, April 7, 1934"

USC Digital Library

"Sunset Boulevard overpass on Glendale Boulevard after reconstruction, October 4, 1934"

USC Digital Library

The overpass today. The building on the right appears to be the same, even though the windows have been heavily modified.

GSV

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizbang View Post
I am completely fascinated with the Willat/Spadena/Witch's House. I built a 1/2" = 1' scale model based on photos I collected from the internet. I'd post a picture but I haven't figured that out yet. I've since discovered drawings on the BeverlyHills.Org site from when the Greens remodeled it. Now I want to build a larger, more accurate model. I am working with the owner of the Beverly Hills Heritage f/b page. Does anyone out there know the colors of the shingles on the Willat Studios location of this house? I have a tinted postcard but don't know if it's accurate. Thank you.
I can't help with colors, but this 1923 picture shows a huge variety of shades.

hollywoodphotographs.com

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos