HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jun 24, 2010, 8:18 PM

View from Angels Flight in 1928.

calisphere

Below: Detail of the photo.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2010, 8:22 PM

One last view from Angels Flight in 1928.

calisphere

Below: A couple details of the above photo.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2010, 8:35 PM

This is pretty amazing. I just found this among my pictures...it's date 1860s.

ebay

I went back to post #1540 and checked the first photo I posted with the couple. (see below)
They're walking in front of the house that appears in the sepia photo.....nearly 60 years later!

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 24, 2010 at 8:47 PM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
This is pretty amazing. I just found this among my pictures...it's date 1860s.

ebay
whoa.......................that is one amazing photo E_R...............

this view looking down on clay street has to be from the nelson residence. it's too far down third to have been taken from the crocker, (IMHO).

great corresponding images from years later. just fabulous!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
And some Then and Nows:

1930s: 6000 Sunset Blvd., Hollywood. I'm surprised to learn this used to be a market.

USC archive

2010: 6000 Sunset Blvd., Hollywood. This is now part of the Sunset Gower Studios, I think.

Photo by Me

I ran across this waaaay waaay waaay before 1885 image of the ne corner of sunset and gower. i thought it was a nice addition to go with S EJ's post of of so so so many moons ago

LAPL

the caption for the image says;

Exterior view of Six Mile House, a bar offering wines and liquors, located on Sunset Blvd. at Gower Street in the 1880s. Just six miles from Los Angeles, it was a stopping point for 20-mule teams coming out Sunset Blvd. into the San Fernando Valley

whiskey for me.......beer for my mules.............................

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDiego View Post
Does anyone have a photo of a wonderful old mansion that once stood at 900 West Adams? It was the Russell Waters house (hope I have that right) and was used to great effect in the 1944 movie "Curse of the Cat People."
i don't know if anyone has posted this yet, (i couldn't find it searching the forums)

Victorian residence of Russell Judson Waters, located at 900 West Adams Blvd., on the southwest corner of Adams Blvd. and Portland Avenue

LAPL

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 7:16 PM

aftermath Battle of Los Angeles

An air raid roundup occuring on February 25, 1942, in a blackout during World War II, during which lights were turned out and vehicles stopped. Numerous streetcars are parked on tracks on Georgia Street, near Hotel Houston, 1226 Georgia St., and Georgia Arms, 1260 Georgia St

LAPL

Last edited by gsjansen; Jun 25, 2010 at 7:30 PM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2010, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Here's another photo of Tom Breneman's dated April 1945.
It looks like mostly ladies waiting to get in.

LIFE magazine
the line up is for his early morning radio show "breakfast in hollywood" in order for it to be broadcast to the country, (outside of hollywood), this photo must have been taken 5:00 am

wow, the early morning pre-cursor to the today show!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2010, 11:41 AM

some cold war noir image

Los Angeles mayor Fletcher Bowron and civil defense director Admiral Robert W. Berry declare the city hall air raid shelter open, July 2nd 1951

The Amestoy building is still standing at market and main on the left

USC Digital Archives

Air raid drill city hall shelter October 2nd, 1952

LAPL

Mary Lou Miner, in summer sportswear, poses on top of a concrete-block bomb shelter. The owner has hopefully attached a mailbox to the wall by the entrance and put a water filter inside. A sign, "Normal Ground Level" is staked in the ground. Photo caption reads: "Beautiful Mary Lou Miner suns herself atop a new West Los Angeles bomb shelter at 10333 Santa Monica Boulevard, dreamed up by John Vale and executed by Arthur Lowe. If we're not bombed, it'll make a good den, play room, or dog house". Photo dated: Apr. 7, 1951

LAPL

Old Posted Jun 26, 2010, 3:37 PM

looking north past 1st street at the hill street tunnel in 1954

LAPL

grading operations have already begun. the tunnel........(and the whole dayum hill) will be history within a year.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2010, 3:58 PM

^^^Great photos gsjansen...I enjoyed them immensely.

Below: Here's another photo showing the Hill Street tunnels.

calisphere

Below: A close up.

Below: Here's a detail from the left side of the photograph.

calisphere

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 26, 2010 at 4:10 PM.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2010, 5:00 PM

1922 architectural model of the proposed beverly boulevard viaduct at the intersection of beverly and glendale.

the merged streets of 1st and beverly cross the viaduct heading west out of downtown over 2nd and glendale

the view is looking southeast

USC Digital Archives

Old Posted Jun 26, 2010, 6:14 PM

some more aftermath photos of the battle of los angeles

Photograph of a danger sign near an unexploded shell. A sight few people ever expected to see around Los Angeles is this danger sign near an unexploded shell. The Army later discovered a unexploded anti-aircraft shell buried in the yard of a private home. Keeping away traffic and the curious are Motorcycle Officer B.H. McClean and Lieut. E.D. Dillard, U.S. Army. 2-25-42

USC Digital Archives

Dr. Frank Stewart examining damage done in his long beach home kitchen by splinters from a anti-aircraft shell which entered his home through the roof. 2-25-42

USC Digital Archives

Army demolition squad digs out an unexploded anti-aircraft shell. Man in hole is C.M. Weathers, a Sergeant. This shell burrowed in the ground in front of the garage of George Watson's Santa Monica house. To play it safe, as it might have been a bomb, the street was roped-off and a sign was posted reading, "Danger unexploded bomb." 2-25-42

USC Digital Archives

Old Posted Jun 27, 2010, 8:45 AM

Gallery of historic photos in City Hall

Last edited by Los Angeles Past; Jun 12, 2012 at 6:47 PM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2010, 12:31 PM

another William Reagh then and later

William Reagh did a then and now on our old porch crazy friend from Kiss Me Deadly, 127 flowe.............(errrr.............. 601 sunset)

California State Library

California State Library

Old Posted Jun 28, 2010, 6:30 AM

Suicide Noir

Wow, so much stuff to comment on, where to start? The Clay St then-and-now, I mean...Alright, I'm not even gonna start. I'll just jump in with the posting of noir because...it's going to be a new week, and nothing starts you out fresh and peppy like suicide! Especially that of the jumping variety, because it affords the best views of buildings. (Did I write that out loud?)

First I saw this:

And I was tickled because I love this building so much, it's the Pacific National at 9th & Hill (MW&C '25) -- if you've never been inside to see the crazy Spanish Renaissance lobby, you need to go right now. Even if it's closed. And you're in another state.

13 Feb 1932: Colorado Springs aerialist Rollie M. Lane was eager to demonstrate the confidence he had in his new type of parachute. His confidence was unwarranted, apparently. However, accounts are that he jumped into the parking lot at the west side of the building and the wind drove the chute against the structure and prevented it from opening fully. He landed on his feet and was dead within an hour of arriving at Georgia Street Receiving.

Thus this is likely a representation of:

19 July 1934: Robert L————, 30, oil company salesman, plunged to the Hill Street pavement at noon, narrowly missing several persons. He wrote "I can't believe if my act is cowardly that it is a result of any earlier tendency or trend. Since I was a tender child of eleven years I have been obliged to battle for bread, education and every little measure of success that has come to me."

The building gets a lot of action:

11 June 1951.

Mrs. Jean L————, 40, of 18121/2 Bellevue Ave., leaped to her death from the 12th floor of the Pacific National Building. She landed in a parking lot at the rear of the building.

Det. Lt. Bill Cummings of the homicide squad reported the woman left two notes, one to her daughter, Miss Betty K————, and the other to doctors. In the note to her daughter, Mrs. L———— reaffirmed her love for her daughter and said that "I can't hold you down any more."

The note to the doctors urged that an examination be made to ascertain the cause of severe pains in her back and head.

She had a few final smokes at the window:

And then, post-cigarette:

All: USC

Old Posted Jun 28, 2010, 6:48 AM

22 Jan 1952. Delmer D——, 25, wrestled away from the NE ledge of Harlem Pl and 5th -- the Rosslyn. The Parkinson & Bergstrom Security Bldg is across Harlem to the North.

13 March 1958
Esther S————, 53, an employee in the map division of the Assessor's Office since 1929, leaped from the roof of the County Assessor's Building at 155 W Washington.

She jumped about 3pm on a Wednesday; she was seen on the roof of the adjacent one-story building to the north, on Hill St, at 10am the next morning.

Originally the Washington Furniture Company Bldg, besides acting as the Assessor's Office, it was also known as the Mode 'O Day ladies' clothing bldg.

(The Richfield is now a McDonald's; all the other buildings in the bg are gone, including what appears to be a neon woman holding a platter?)

26 February 1958.

John J. V————, 39, architect, graduate of the USC School of Architecture and member of the American Institute of Architects.

He was at work for his firm, Welton Becket Associates, which occupied the building -- the Prudential Building, designed by Wurdeman & Becket and presumably with help by V————, when he leaped from the top of the building.

He left behind his wife Margaret, and three children, aged 13, 10, and 6; he left behind no note nor indicated to anyone that he might have a motive.

(Along Wilshire, of course, the '38 Clements Coulters, his '49 Mullen & Bluett, Underwood's '28 Desmonds, the '28 M, W & Clements Wilshire-Dominquez AKA Myer Siegel...)

Old Posted Jun 28, 2010, 7:02 AM

Got a couple more jumpers, but I'll save them for another time. Definitely wanted to add in this one; it sort of fits with the "disinterested persons beside cars that have wrecked the bar" theme from a while back.

CAFE CUSTOMER SHOOTS HIMSELF
Charles A————, 23, of 722 S Bixel, early yesterday was taken to General Hospital in critical condition after he shot himself with an automatic pistol in a restaurant at 1100 W 7th St., police said.
Los Angeles Times, March 22, 1952

The name of the place was Harold's Vagabond. Dig the bathroom doors -- "Devils" and "Angels." No idea as to why Charles would do such a thing. Harold's Vagabond has been wiped away by one the giant Geoff Palmer things. The Medici, I believe.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2010, 7:21 AM

With old hotels and such -- say, Bunker Hill hotels -- you're exceptionally lucky if you get a glimpse inside a lobby or a dining room. In the case of The Trenton, we get to go down the hall on the 4th floor and into one of the rooms!

6 June 1952. Here's Andy L——, 53, of 450 Coronado Terrace, and he's a murder suspect at 427 S Olive. Seems his lady-friend, Mrs. Bertha W——, 23, is no longer, oh, breathing.

(Check out bowtie with the big fat Speed Graphic over by room 406. Dig the transom.)

So anyway, they call out the fingie experts:

But despite the expert fingerprint machinations of D. F. Mortell, it turns out that Bertha just died from her acute alcoholism. At 23. Now there's a girl who could put it away.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2010, 2:51 PM

Beaudry! what a great healthy heapin' servin' of architectural archeology with a bit of noir on the cide

a few images of the 'cide kind i like...................

Delmer Dobbs, still living, lies on sidewalk in front of May Co. 8th and hill, after shooting self. Note bullet hole in display window above him

USC Digital Archives

unsuccessful suicide attempt at the hall of justice

USC Digital Archives

guess he wasn't feeling so lucky.............14 and union

USC Digital Archives

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos