HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 6:32 AM

ucla

View from the West Ocean Boulevard bridge over the end of the Los Angeles River towards the Venetian Square apartments and bungalows on Shoreline Drive. A small trolley full of people is on the bridge....1929.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 5:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by riichkay View Post

ucla

View from the West Ocean Boulevard bridge over the end of the Los Angeles River towards the Venetian Square apartments and bungalows on Shoreline Drive. A small trolley full of people is on the bridge....1929.
Those little houses at the left are part of what became The Jungle. It was a seaside village of society castoffs. It was finally bulldozed into oblivion after WW II when seedy Long Beach was trying to clean up its act.

Note the Villa Riviera in the distant fog at the right side.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 5:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post
My condolences, CaliNative - I lost my cat Petey Pete just about a month ago. If there's a heaven without cats and dogs, I don't wanna go there.

Dogs and cats............hello

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Aug 11, 2020 at 7:05 PM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 7:09 PM

We have seen this image of Seventh Street in downtown Los Angeles decorated for the 1932 Olympic Games.

. . .but I don't believe we have seen this one of Los Angeles St. that turned up on eBay a month or so ago.

August 1932

the reverse

I made it a bit larger. (and blurrier)

We have seen the gabled building on the corner at right numerous times but I can't remember the name.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Aug 10, 2020 at 7:53 PM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 7:13 PM

Here's that same building, some forty yrs. earlier, in a photograph that was also recently on eBay.

La Fiesta celebration, 1895.

eBay

hmmm. . . .or is it the same building? I just looked at two images side-by-side. . .and now I have my doubts.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 7:35 PM

Before we get too far removed from our Century City exploits I want to point you toward this 13 minute video from the 1970s.

.................................................................................Go Here (reddit)

Here's a sampling of my screenshots.

The video has pretty much something for everyone including some very attractive ladies in mini-skirts walking around.

My favorite is the time lapse photography of the Century Plaza Hotel being built. (column four, above)

Disappointingly, the International House Restaurant isn't mentioned (but we see two glimpses of the exterior)

Two nightclubs that I haven't heard of are mentioned (and shown) One is the The Westside Room and the other is the subterranean (I think) Hong Kong Bar.

Here's a direct link to YouTube

Video Link

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Aug 10, 2020 at 7:50 PM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
Based on the Phoenix by Pontiac billboard, the photo was taken between 1976-1979.

Any decent camera with fine grain film and glass lens could have picked up the Hollywood sign, which is only eight miles away from the position on the shooter.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 8:13 PM

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 8:15 PM

Hedda Hopper mentioned the Frank Sinatra party in her column.

Tucson Daily Citizen June 17, 1959, page 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post
Going through my late father's stuff recently, I found this letter:

My dad always told me he was friends with Frank Sinatra back in his days as a reporter, so I admit I was thrilled to find this! I wish I found a photo of them together, but I'll take what I can get!

Though the letter is not dated, Sinatra mentions “High Hopes”, which is a song he released on June 5th, 1959. And June 9th was a Tuesday in 1959, so I think it's reasonable to assume this letter is from 1959.

At first glance I thought the letter mentioned the Garden of Allah, but on closer inspection it's actually the Garden of Eden. Anyone familiar with this place?

I looked up the address for “Puccini” (224 South Beverly Drive) on Google Maps. It's now “Ruth's Chris Steak House”, which seems to have gone out of business.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ru...!4d-118.398768

PS: My mom (also a reporter) liked to tell the story of how she first met Sinatra.

She was down at the Police Station, following up on a story in the mid-1940s, when in march two police officers with a “skinny kid” in handcuffs. Of course, it was Frank Sinatra. He'd gotten arrested for getting in a fistfight.

Despite this violent infraction, my mom said that Sinatra was the picture of charm, was very friendly, and spoke with her at length. Being that this was right after WWII, and my mother was Japanese, not every person was so friendly to her.

A few phone calls were made, and Sinatra was released without being charged. Of course, my mom never reported this story; back then, reporters routinely covered up celebrity high jinks.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

We have seen the gabled building on the corner at right numerous times but I can't remember the name.
The building above looks like the Martz Flats at 7th and Flower, but I think your second image is a different building, e_r.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
A couple years ago the Huntington accessioned a large collection of slides shot by a character named Palmer Conner; little is known about him save that he roamed postwar downtown and captured a whole lot of now-lost LA. They've begun scanning them and putting them online, as we found out recently. The Huntington uploaded twenty-nine and I've been checking regularly for the next grouping -- today they brought it up to fifty. Gems galore! Here are just a handful.

First off, here's something you don't see every day: the Martz Flats, in living color!

huntington

More about Martz in this great post here. And another image, just because we can:

huntington

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 10:04 PM

I found this article from 1895, but referring back much further, to be of interest.

J.W. Potts is James Wesley Potts, alias "Little Potts" (evidently to distinguish him from his contemporary Andrew Wilson Potts), arriving in L.A. in September, 1852.

The top half of the first line is cut off in the original; but I think it's "Apropos of the adversity which is ex-".

LA Times, October 25, 1895.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 10:44 PM

And, speaking of J.W. Potts, here's where he lived in 1895 (according to the 1895 CD), 816 Waterloo (he died in 1896):

gsv

Seeing the height of those palm trees, I suspect they were there when Potts lived there.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
FYI: I got the "ten miles" figure from Google which said it was 9.7 from Beverly Hills.
For fun, I used the distance feature within Google, and got 8 miles line of sight from the sign to the side road where the shot was taken.

With 1970's (and today's) smog, that extra two miles makes a difference in visibility!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snix View Post

Wow, thank you for that, Snix!!!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
I found this article from 1895, but referring back much further, to be of interest.

J.W. Potts is James Wesley Potts, alias "Little Potts" (evidently to distinguish him from his contemporary Andrew Wilson Potts), arriving in L.A. in September, 1852.

The top half of the first line is cut off in the original; but I think it's "Apropos of the adversity which is ex-".

LA Times, October 25, 1895.
I think the cut-off first line is, "Apropos of the difficulty which is ex-"

Last edited by Mackerm; Aug 11, 2020 at 6:21 AM.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackerm View Post
I think the cut-off first line is, "Apropos of the difficulty which is ex-"
Yes, I'm sure you're right! Thanks!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
For fun, I used the distance feature within Google, and got 8 miles line of sight from the sign to the side road where the shot was taken.
With 1970's (and today's) smog, that extra two miles makes a difference in visibility!

Snix, thanks for finding this! Love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snix View Post

Hedda--showing off her familiarity calling Edward G. Robinson...Eddie Robinson, heh!

Florabell Muir? Calisphere (Hedda's column has an extra "l" in her name.)
Florabel Muir was an American reporter, newspaper columnist and author. She became known for covering both Hollywood celebrities and underworld gangsters from the 1920's through the 1960's.

This Hopper column seems to make it clear that in the Scott Charles invitation, when Sinatra mentions that "we're all going to flee to the Garden of Eden," he's talking about them all going to the preview of "A Hole in the Head" (wherever that was) when they left Puccini.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 9:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Heh!

Snix, thanks for finding this! Love it!

Hedda--showing off her familiarity calling Edward G. Robinson...Eddie Robinson, heh!

Florabell Muir? Calisphere (Hedda's column has an extra "l" in her name.)
Florabel Muir was an American reporter, newspaper columnist and author. She became known for covering both Hollywood celebrities and underworld gangsters from the 1920's through the 1960's.

This Hopper column seems to make it clear that in the Scott Charles invitation, when Sinatra mentions that "we're all going to flee to the Garden of Eden," he's talking about them all going to the preview of "A Hole in the Head" (wherever that was) when they left Puccini.
A Hole in the Head (1959) is a DeLuxe Color comedy film, in CinemaScope, directed by Frank Capra, featuring Frank Sinatra, Edward G. Robinson, Eleanor Parker, Keenan Wynn, Carolyn Jones, Thelma Ritter, Dub Taylor, Ruby Dandridge, Eddie Hodges, and Joi Lansing, and released by United Artists.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 10:38 PM

Re: e_r's post of downtown decorated for the '32 games, here's a shot of 7th and Hill that I don't think we have seen....from the Adelbert Bartlett papers at UCLA.....

Love Like He Fights & Boy, Can He Fight
That Red-Head Wonder Boy James Cagney
Puts Sock Appeal In "Winner Take All"    

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 11:16 PM

Amazing photographs, riichkay. Thanks for posting them!

and for deciphering what's on the marquee. . . .that couldn't have been easy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos