HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 12:34 AM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2018 in Chicago - Freezing to Frozen

I last visited Chicago in 2006. The airline I flew with doesn't exist anymore. The weather was mixed and I went away a bit disappointed. I returned in early 2018 shortly after the polar vortex hoping the freezing temperatures would also mean clearer skies. I got a great hotel deal near the Magnificent Mile, presumably because it is low season for tourism after all.

First impressions were wonderful. I had a sunny sunrise on final approach into O'Hare.

I picked a left window seat anticipating wonderful aerials on arrival. I was not disappointed.

With my bags dropped off, I braved the cold to explore the Magnificent Mile. The Chicago River was pretty much frozen over; that's how cold it was!

The pavement turned white not because of snow, but from the cold!

The John Hancock's observation deck is quite pricey. I decided to eat lunch at the restaurant on 96/F instead, which the guidebook said was a better deal. I agree.

Are you rich enough to enjoy the lake view?

Looking down, Water Tower looks so small and insignificant amidst all the buildings.

More in the next part, or visit my website : http://www.globalphotos.org/chicago.htm

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 1:59 PM

Nice pictures!

I suspect the roads were white not because of the cold, but because of the brine put down to mitigate slippery conditions in snow. Look at the dirt and salt on the bus in the same picture. It clearly had snowed earlier on, and brine and salt are the most common applications to roads for snow.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 1:25 AM
Community Guy

^bingo.

Wonderfully wintery photos of a city I quite enjoy.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 10:52 AM

fantastic City !

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 5:11 PM
BANNED

Is there any concern with salinity levels in the Great Lakes rising because of salt run-off from the roads?

Btw, the first photo sunrise pic was great!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
Is there any concern with salinity levels in the Great Lakes rising because of salt run-off from the roads?

I would think that in many places, the soil immediate to the road surfaces picks up the salt deposits. In the case of street runoff, the Great Lakes probably are not that much different than looking at the salinity of flowing water in any big city, whether it's Philadelphia, St. Louis, Winnipeg, Denver, etc.

Some of the biggest salt deposits in the world are right underneath the Great Lakes. Miners are literally mining salt deposits underground beneath the lakebeds.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 10:49 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

re: salt runoff...dilution is the solution to pollution they say in my business. little salt gets into lake michigan as the regions runoff is largely oriented towards the mississippi river basin, and the chicago river is running in reverse. what does get into lake michigan is insignificant, and what salinity eventually gets into the illinois river is diluted.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 10:53 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

nice photos! does look cold.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 3:07 PM
Hong Kong

Lake Michigan is so big so the salt runoff in the spring shouldn't be a big issue. Perhaps if it runs into the Chicago River or end up along the Mississippi, it might be a bigger issue, but I have never heard of this sort of issue in other northern cities.

Chicago's architecture is not only amazing from the outside, but many buildings' interiors are also worth a visit. While access varies and is typically limited, these small areas alone are already eye-dropping.

The Chicago Board of Trade (CBOT) building dates from the Great Depression and has a lovely Art Deco lobby.

The Marquette Building's lobby has an abundance of sculpted mosaics depicting French explorer Jacques Marquette's journey.

The Palmer House Hotel had a tragic history, being gutted by the Great Fire just days after opening. It was rebuilt and re-opened in 1873, becoming a major social gathering point at the turn of the century. After a $170 million renovation, it is now part of the Hilton chain, although its lobby lounge looks nothing like a multinational's standard cookie-cut design.

Macy's has a tourist information center in the basement, but don't forget to head upstairs to see the beautiful dome ceiling designed by Louis Comfort Tiffany. It took 50 artisans over 18 months to complete this masterpiece.

The Chicago Cultural Center also has a beautiful stained-glass dome and an intricately-carved interiors.

The Rookery is one of the earliest examples of using steel framing with masonry walls. Its 11 stories reflect a multitude of styles. It has since been renovated back to Frank Lloyd Wright's style and the interior courtyard is a large and bright space that is publicly-accessible.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 4:59 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Very nice pictures, but maybe, I don't know, come during the warmer months? You'll be even more pleasantly surprised

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 6:50 PM

Nice interior pictures!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 7:33 PM
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Very nice pictures, but maybe, I don't know, come during the warmer months? You'll be even more pleasantly surprised
LOL I did walk around a lot outdoors in my winter gear. I don't think I can score a $69 a night deal just off the Magnificent Mile in the warmer months!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 7:59 PM
Plenary pleasures.

^Your second round of photos are equally gorgeous, especially the interior details.

I'm sure many Chicago forumers would gladly host you! #Chicagohospitality

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 4:10 AM

Looks freezing but it is truly a beautiful city. Great set.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 11:55 PM

Awesome photos!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2018, 6:49 AM

I love it, very nice.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2018, 4:21 PM

thanks a lot. great great photos¡¡¡ it is such a joy to have this " virtual " Chicago tour with your photos. thanks¡¡¡

https://greatskyscrapersoftheworld.blogspot.com.es/

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 1:15 PM
All-American City Boy

Wow. Amazing set of photos. I honestly can't believe I've never been inside some of those buildings. The interiors are incredible.

Hopefully it doesn't take too long for your next visit. Chicago is an entirely different city in the warmer months. During the winter it really is everyone "turns a collar to the cold and damp" and there's less vibrancy across the city. There's also plenty of hotels that do good deals. A coworker of mine from NYC got a deal at the Allerton at $90 a night last August.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 8:47 AM
Hong Kong

Thanks for your comments. I'm a bit behind in processing my photos. They're all done now and I'm slowly posting them to my website and here.

You have to have a certain degree of love for winter to survive the cold and snow in the Windy City. A great way to start a cold day is to walk along the new 606 park, which rejuvenated an abandoned rail line.

This part of town looks quite upscale and leafy. The wide and spacious Humboldt Boulevard was one of several laid out in the area in the 19th century.

Heading back into town for a warm-up break, Union Station's waiting hall is quite grand and impressive with some additional colour lighting.

It is just a short walk across the river to Sears / Willis Tower. I was up on the observation deck on my first visit to Chicago in the 1990s.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post

No, it rains and the lakes aren't terminal like the Salton Sea.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos