HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 9:25 PM
Engineer

A building permit application was finally submitted for Paperbox. I hope this means we'll see construction before the end of the year.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 12:59 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Smiths Marketplace tore down their 2 story parking structure. Anyone know what the plan for that is?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 1:57 AM
Let It Rise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
Smiths Marketplace tore down their 2 story parking structure. Anyone know what the plan for that is?
To replace it with another parking garage. The old one was not to code and falling apart.

My Mini City-Population http://saint-anthony.myminicity.com

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asies1981 View Post

Great updates...Thanks Mike!

The northwest corner of the Meridian apartments as seen looking south across North Temple at Orange Street. Photo by Mike Fife.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 2:17 PM

While it was posted in the Ogden thread, Rob Bishop is talking about the BLM HQ moving to Ogden.

Now, to take many various articles that have been posted on this subject since it was first talked about moving the BLM HQ out of D.C. and out West, the discussions with Pundits and Politicians have basically narrowed it down to downtown Denver and downtown Salt Lake City. It all came down to the frequency of daily flights to the D.C. area.

Over the last 4 months or so, the discussion became more and more about the time to get to the airport both from possible BLM HQ location as well as where the traveling employees might live.

Because of the convenient location of SLC International and the speed of which you can get to the airport by both car and transit from downtown, nearly everyone expects that downtown Salt Lake City will be announced as the winner of the BLM headquarters. One of the articles I read said that the Senate Committee prefers Salt Lake City as does the BLM. Supposedly so do most of the Interior Department as the costs are lower when compared to Denver.

I have been thinking about the best location for the BLM HQ and I think the best location might be a combined location with a newly rebuilt Federal Building on the NW corner of 4th South and West Temple. This is just South of the new Federal Courthouse.

The current Federal Building is too small and does need to be expanded but the current location doesn't allow for it. The 4th South location not only gives the space but it is currently a parking lot. It could be sub-divided just enough to give the space for the set-backs for safety but not allow them to take up the entire the block. This would encourage and require them to build taller.

I figure a combined Federal and BLM HQ building would need between 25 and 30 stories. If they need separate locations, one of the offices could be on the East corner of 4th South and Main.

Breakout of space: Federal Building: 10-12 stories. BLM: 15-18 stories.

Putting this along 4th South continues the Government Corridor, further encourages the building of the 4th South Loop/Trax to Central Station, encourages more lively action along the streets along 4th South, and would allow the reuse/redevelopment of the current Federal Building.

The current Federal Building could either be completely torn down and redeveloped completely as a new project or the building could be possibly redeveloped for low and moderate income housing. The plaza could be redeveloped as a park to replace the park area that will be removed by Tower 8 and could be enjoyed by the residents.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
While it was posted in the Ogden thread, Rob Bishop is talking about the BLM HQ moving to Ogden.

Now, to take many various articles that have been posted on this subject since it was first talked about moving the BLM HQ out of D.C. and out West, the discussions with Pundits and Politicians have basically narrowed it down to downtown Denver and downtown Salt Lake City. It all came down to the frequency of daily flights to the D.C. area.

Over the last 4 months or so, the discussion became more and more about the time to get to the airport both from possible BLM HQ location as well as where the traveling employees might live.

Because of the convenient location of SLC International and the speed of which you can get to the airport by both car and transit from downtown, nearly everyone expects that downtown Salt Lake City will be announced as the winner of the BLM headquarters. One of the articles I read said that the Senate Committee prefers Salt Lake City as does the BLM. Supposedly so do most of the Interior Department as the costs are lower when compared to Denver.

I have been thinking about the best location for the BLM HQ and I think the best location might be a combined location with a newly rebuilt Federal Building on the NW corner of 4th South and West Temple. This is just South of the new Federal Courthouse.

The current Federal Building is too small and does need to be expanded but the current location doesn't allow for it. The 4th South location not only gives the space but it is currently a parking lot. It could be sub-divided just enough to give the space for the set-backs for safety but not allow them to take up the entire the block. This would encourage and require them to build taller.

I figure a combined Federal and BLM HQ building would need between 25 and 30 stories. If they need separate locations, one of the offices could be on the East corner of 4th South and Main.

Putting this along 4th South continues the Government Corridor, further encourages the building of the 4th South Loop/Trax to Central Station, encourages more lively action along the streets along 4th South, and would allow the reuse/redevelopment of the current Federal Building.

The current Federal Building could either be completely torn down and redeveloped completely as a new project or the building could be possibly redeveloped for low and moderate income housing. The plaza could be redeveloped as a park to replace the park area that will be removed by Tower 8 and could be enjoyed by the residents.
NW corner of 4th South and West Temple.. isn't that the Held property?

Wasn't there a proposal for an office building on the north east corner of of 500 S and Main, right next to the new DA building? I know the other government buildings on that block are not federal, but government buildings none the less.

Do we have any idea how many workers a BLM headquarters might house?

I definitely like the idea of a combined BLM and Federal building to make one taller building

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 4:08 PM

Makid: "Now, to take many various articles that have been posted on this subject since it was first talked about moving the BLM HQ out of D.C. and out West, the discussions with Pundits and Politicians have basically narrowed it down to downtown Denver and downtown Salt Lake City. It all came down to the frequency of daily flights to the D.C. area.

Because of the convenient location of SLC International and the speed of which you can get to the airport by both car and transit from downtown, nearly everyone expects that downtown Salt Lake City will be announced as the winner of the BLM headquarters. One of the articles I read said that the Senate Committee prefers Salt Lake City as does the BLM. Supposedly so do most of the Interior Department as the costs are lower when compared to Denver."

I've searched but can't find possible sources for the conversation on details like commute times and cost of living with regards to a move of the BLM to either SLC or Denver. Where have you read or heard this? (Personally, I hope the headquarters stays in D.C.)

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipDDG View Post
Makid: "Now, to take many various articles that have been posted on this subject since it was first talked about moving the BLM HQ out of D.C. and out West, the discussions with Pundits and Politicians have basically narrowed it down to downtown Denver and downtown Salt Lake City. It all came down to the frequency of daily flights to the D.C. area.

Because of the convenient location of SLC International and the speed of which you can get to the airport by both car and transit from downtown, nearly everyone expects that downtown Salt Lake City will be announced as the winner of the BLM headquarters. One of the articles I read said that the Senate Committee prefers Salt Lake City as does the BLM. Supposedly so do most of the Interior Department as the costs are lower when compared to Denver."

I've searched but can't find possible sources for the conversation on details like commute times and cost of living with regards to a move of the BLM to either SLC or Denver. Where have you read or heard this? (Personally, I hope the headquarters stays in D.C.)
There have been multiple articles on Forbes about the move. Yahoo news has also done a few stories as well as the AP over the last 9 months or so. It is possible that some of the articles were just shared from local stories from Colorado news sources as well.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRes View Post
NW corner of 4th South and West Temple.. isn't that the Held property?

Wasn't there a proposal for an office building on the north east corner of of 500 S and Main, right next to the new DA building? I know the other government buildings on that block are not federal, but government buildings none the less.

Do we have any idea how many workers a BLM headquarters might house?

I definitely like the idea of a combined BLM and Federal building to make one taller building
Held is the SE corner of the same intersection. They are West of the Courthouse and North West of the location I am thinking of.

The BLM would be between 500 and 700 people I think. It could also pull in the current Salt Lake City regional office which is around 100 to 150 people roughly.

I was thinking about the spot to the West of the DA building but there is a requirement for setbacks on new Federal Buildings that wouldn't be able to be met at that location or any location along the block just east of Main between 4th and 5th South. The setback requirement is why the new Federal Courthouse is so far back from both 4th South and West Temple.

I figured with the Historic building on the SW corner, 370 Millennium (Held) on the NW corner, the Federal Courthouse on the NE corner, putting the new Federal building on the SE corner with the setbacks would be okay provided the building was tall enough to make up for it. I figure it would need to be at least 250' which a combined Federal Building/BLM HQ would provide.

I also think it makes sense with a planned Trax stop just to the west along 4th South in front of the Held Property (last envisioned).

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 5:13 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Held is the SE corner of the same intersection. They are West of the Courthouse and North West of the location I am thinking of.

I figured with the Historic building on the SW corner, 370 Millennium (Held) on the NW corner, the Federal Courthouse on the NE corner, putting the new Federal building on the SE corner with the setbacks would be okay provided the building was tall enough to make up for it. I figure it would need to be at least 250' which a combined Federal Building/BLM HQ would provide.
Okay to clear this up, Held is on the NW corner of 400 S and W Temple and the site you're proposing is the SE corner of the same intersection, on the giant courthouse surface parking block owned by CCRI, across the street to the south of the federal courthouse.

Where have you heard that the Federal Reserve Bank building needs expansion? Is this even a possibility? I was under the impression that they would stay at their current location for a very long time. Or are you talking about the federal building to the south of Harmons?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 6:10 PM

Quote:

I also think it makes sense with a planned Trax stop just to the west along 4th South in front of the Held Property (last envisioned).
I like it. CCRI should build a City Creek sized underground parking structure on that block (Earl Holding Memorial Parking Lot) and they could put a couple office towers, a couple of residential towers, a hotel, and a large gym on that property and still have room for some open space that could do double duty as set back for a new Federal Building as one of the office towers. They could probably fit in some lower rise residential with ground floor (local) retail/restaurant like you see weaving through the City Creek Center as well. Some nice connecting mid block streets. Directly served by one and possibly two TRAX stations. Would be a nice anchor for the south end of the Downtown core.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
Okay to clear this up, Held is on the NW corner of 400 S and W Temple and the site you're proposing is the SE corner of the same intersection, on the giant courthouse surface parking block owned by CCRI, across the street to the south of the federal courthouse.

Where have you heard that the Federal Reserve Bank building needs expansion? Is this even a possibility? I was under the impression that they would stay at their current location for a very long time. Or are you talking about the federal building to the south of Harmons?
Ya, thanks for clearing that up. Held is the NW corner of 4th and W Temple.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post

Thank you for that, I knew what I was was thinking but for some reason it was coming out wrong.

The Federal Reserve Bank building isn't what I am talking about. I am talking about the Wallace F. Bennett Federal Building, the SE corner of 1st South and State Street. Just North of the coming Liberty Sky residential tower.

It was originally built in 1963 and refurbished in 2001. It wasn't built with the idea of Utah having 3 let alone 4 Representatives in the House, 2 Senators, plus the other Federal Offices that reside within the building.

In the 90's there was talk about replacing the building but it was deemed more economical to just upgrade it and replace it shortly after Utah got its 4 Representative.

The current building was undersized in the 90's but they have done wonders with cramped quarters all with the thought that they will be announcing a new building soon. Of course, this anticipation has been growing since 2012 but nothing has happened.

This might be part of the back end push for Salt Lake City to be named the the location of the BLM HQ and possibly other Interior offices (Zinke is looking at moving others out west as well).

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 7:53 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Thank you for that, I knew what I was was thinking but for some reason it was coming out wrong.

The Federal Reserve Bank building isn't what I am talking about. I am talking about the Wallace F. Bennett Federal Building, the SE corner of 1st South and State Street. Just North of the coming Liberty Sky residential tower.

It was originally built in 1963 and refurbished in 2001. It wasn't built with the idea of Utah having 3 let alone 4 Representatives in the House, 2 Senators, plus the other Federal Offices that reside within the building.

In the 90's there was talk about replacing the building but it was deemed more economical to just upgrade it and replace it shortly after Utah got its 4 Representative.

The current building was undersized in the 90's but they have done wonders with cramped quarters all with the thought that they will be announcing a new building soon. Of course, this anticipation has been growing since 2012 but nothing has happened.

This might be part of the back end push for Salt Lake City to be named the the location of the BLM HQ and possibly other Interior offices (Zinke is looking at moving others out west as well).
Ohh alright. That would make sense then. Hopefully we hear more soon.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 8:02 PM

Quote:
We've all made very similar mistakes at various times.

That's good info on the current Federal Building, definitely sounds like an expansion is not only needed, but is likely planned at least in some form.

Maybe the 'Earl Holding memorial parking lot' block can be rebranded as the 'Earl Holding National Monument'

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 10:16 PM

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 11:15 PM

I'm trying to like the idea of this Union Pacific Hotel concept but this view from inside the Gateway just looks bad in my mind.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 12:32 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

They took that horrible looking plywood off of the the top of the building on the NE corner of 700s and state... and the Stokes Brothers sign is still there.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 1:03 AM

Quote:

More likely it would be located on N. TEMPLE west of the fairpark. UTAH DNR is there now as well as the BLM and it's like 5 mins to the airport.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbillbillbill View Post
I'm trying to like the idea of this Union Pacific Hotel concept but this view from inside the Gateway just looks bad in my mind.

The design isn't good and I hate how it blocks out the depot from the plaza. IT creates a cold/dark plaza. I wish there was a two-building solution, or build above B&N. Love the hotel idea- I wish they would engage the train hall somehow.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West