HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
If the Purple Line was created in a vacuum, I would agree. Its not perfect. However, considering the system it is connecting to, it's quite nice. Its making a nice addition to the DC metro transit system. The Purple Line along with the Silver Line segment 2 are worthy projects. Question though, is there any plans(or need) to add more lines within the city of DC?
Because Rosslyn is a choke point for trains heading from Virginia into DC, there is talk of one day separating the blue line at Rosslyn so that it heads north to Georgetown and then east to Union Station, potentially under M Street through the West End, Golden Triangle, Thomas Circle, Convention Center, and Mt Vernon Triangle. After reaching Union Station, it could either go east under H Street or south to the Navy Yard/Ballpark area. But that is a long long long way off. It's something China would probably get done in 5-6 years, or various European countries would complete in a decade or two, but here in the wonderful USA it will probably take 30-40 years.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 9:22 PM
TL;DR

^ Apart from the aforementioned Blue Line subway, which will eventually be an unavoidable need, the only rail projects planned in DC proper are streetcars.

In other news, it looks like construction on the Potomac Yard metro station is now firmly underway and foundations are going in...

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 10:01 PM
Leftist Correctist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
It's something China would probably get done in 5-6 years, or various European countries would complete in a decade or two, but here in the wonderful USA it will probably take 30-40 years.
I'm not sure that's true. With a new era of American government with Republican power and influence deservedly kept to a minimum, with progressive policies in the areas of transportation and energy, a revamped New Starts program and a firm commitment to DC and Metro, I can see a project like that underway in 10 years. That's best case scenario and, yes, just my opinion.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 6:24 PM
Trump for Treason.

Frederick Douglass bridge

D.C. marks construction milestone on new Frederick Douglass Memorial Bridge
Six iconic arches are up, and the $480 million project is on track for completion next year.

Workers put the finishing touches on the arches over the new Frederick Douglass Memorial Bridge in Washington. (Katherine Frey/The Washington Post)

By Luz Lazo
August 13, 2020
Washington Post

"The coronavirus pandemic has not slowed construction on the largest public infrastructure project in the District’s history.

The new $480 million Frederick Douglass Memorial Bridge is rising over the Anacostia River and is on track to open next year, D.C. officials said Thursday, as they marked the completion of six arches on the new span.

“These beautiful arches will serve as a tribute to Frederick Douglass and a reminder to all Washingtonians to continue the fight to end Taxation Without Representation for his adopted hometown,” Mayor Muriel E. Bowser (D) said in a statement Thursday, alluding to the city’s push to become the nation’s 51st state..."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trans...morial-bridge/

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 3:50 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover99 View Post
I moved to dc recently. Transit is lacking.

The metro is designed for suburban=city commute, and not really for moving around DC. There needs to be more light rail/street cars/something else that makes DC more vibrant downtown. Right now its not fulfilling its potential as a capital city center. Samller European cities like Hamburg or Brussels are far more vibrant downtown, and the capital of the US needs to do more to make it respected as a foreign travel destination.
Needs to do more to make it respected as a foreign travel destination? Are you kidding? If travelers have the money to visit DC from outside the US, they have enough money to be able to get around DC without issue. I mean, it's no secret that DC doesn't have the transit clout that Paris or London have, but that should shock anyone. It's a large city in the US, it's actually kind of an outlier for a city of its size.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover99 View Post
I moved to dc recently. Transit is lacking.

The metro is designed for suburban=city commute, and not really for moving around DC. There needs to be more light rail/street cars/something else that makes DC more vibrant downtown. Right now its not fulfilling its potential as a capital city center. Samller European cities like Hamburg or Brussels are far more vibrant downtown, and the capital of the US needs to do more to make it respected as a foreign travel destination.
I do wish transit within DC was vastly better (I visited Melbourne earlier this year and it was a dream with all of the tram lines, though obviously it's much bigger than DC)... however when I lived in DC I would typically just hop on CaBi to get somewhere relatively quickly.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 12:36 AM

Yeah this is a US problem, not really a DC problem. As sad as it is to say, public transit in DC is better than almost any other US city. Not a lot of federal support for these things.

The current administration promised a transit infrastructure bill but never even tried to get anything done. Maybe next time it will work.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 2:13 PM
Trump for Treason.

Purple Line

The Purple Line is on the verge of collapse — and Hogan is silent

Washington Post
Sept. 24, 2020

"WITH THE notable exception of Superfund sites and the occasional bridge collapse, rarely are failures of public planning, administration and good sense as glaringly visible as what is unfolding right now in the suburbs of D.C., where a $5.6 billion, three-decade partnership to build a 16-mile light rail line just north of the nation’s capital is on the verge of collapse.

Midway through the massive Purple Line construction project, intended to connect Maryland’s two most populous localities, Montgomery and Prince George’s counties, and revitalize run-down neighborhoods, contractors are packing up and preparing to quit the job amid a dispute over delays and cost overruns with the state. That would leave miles of ripped-up roadways and half-finished bridges and tunnels — a tableau of dysfunction and a fiasco for all to see..."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...71f_story.html

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation